Author Topic: Prediction: iTunes Wii Channel  (Read 28478 times)

Offline Darkheart

• Darkheart
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: Prediction: iTunes Wii Channel
« Reply #75 on: January 10, 2007, 06:40:36 PM »
Is it sad that I would take an Iphone over a Ps3 . . . . .?

Offline Blue Plant

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • My site.
RE:Prediction: iTunes Wii Channel
« Reply #76 on: January 10, 2007, 07:04:03 PM »

Originally posted by: darkheart
Is it sad that I would take an Iphone over a Ps3 . . . . .?

Which iPhone? >.>  

Offline JonLeung

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 11, 2007, 01:34:59 AM »
I don't have an iPod or a cell phone and have been putting off getting both for too long, so an iPhone is definitely appealing.  Much more appealing than a PS3, since there's considerable less necessity for one.

I'd have to see what the Canadian price is for the iPhone (even though I imagine it could be well into the $700 range) and the service plan details and monthly rates.  I've never had a cell phone so I wonder if I'll fiddle with it too much or not use it much at all, and that's a factor too.

Offline vherub

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 11, 2007, 03:38:25 AM »
the wii doesn't need itunes, just a music channel where you can play music directly off the sd card (i'd rather it be build from the ground up to take advantadge of the control)
and it would be awesome if the usb ports could access any external harddrive or mp3 player, just by plugging it in
itunes/apple is too limiting in scope, let the wii play with everybody

Offline capamerica

• ^______^
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 11, 2007, 03:49:06 AM »
how is iTunes to limited? You can use any MP3 player on it your not just limited to iPods. I have a SD carded based cheap MP3 player that works fine with iTunes sure I can't put music I've downloaded from the iTunes Store on to it but I can put any MP3s I want on it.

Apple is the hands down no contest leader in the MP3 player market and the pay download music stores. More people out there have music that only plays in iTunes and iPods then any other company (Napster, MS, Sony) And currently no game console can play that music.

Saying using iTunes and Apple is too limited is like saying, hey lets look at the world population but lets not include anyone from the Europe, Africa or Asian regions.
"Alright, you know what? I'm just giving in and looking at the breasts."
Crow ~ MST3K
<BR>-- I like my food like I like my women Chinese, Japaneses, Korean, Filipino, Vietnamese and Hot! --

Offline Galford

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 11, 2007, 04:02:02 AM »
Just a quick update.

Cisco is sueing Apple over the iPhone.
Apparently Cisco has held the trademark since 1996.

This should be interesting...
Wii Code - 8679 5256 1008 2077

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 11, 2007, 04:17:29 AM »

Originally posted by: vherub
the wii doesn't need itunes, just a music channel where you can play music directly off the sd card (i'd rather it be build from the ground up to take advantadge of the control)
and it would be awesome if the usb ports could access any external harddrive or mp3 player, just by plugging it in
itunes/apple is too limiting in scope, let the wii play with everybody

You do know iTunes can play just about anything, right?

I'm not suggesting the scope be limited to iPods to play mp3s, either. Most mp3 players show up as USB devices which you can copy songs on and off. iTunes would handle it the same way with both mp3 players and SD cards.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline UERD

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 11, 2007, 11:04:13 AM »
The iPhone is really, really overpriced. The RAZR was around $500 when it first came out, though, and now they're practically giving them away. (Not saying the same will happen, but that a price drop because of phone-company subsidies is possible).

I actually think it would have been cooler if they had made a touchscreen iPod with PDA functionality- the iPhone without the phone part, and with more processing power- it would probably have been more 'cost-effective'. But I digress. Considering that this phone has been in development for more than a year, I wouldn't expect any hypothetical deal between Nintendo and Apple to be announced until at least this summer, probably later.

"I'm looking for shrunken heads w/ DVD playback options. I figure I can hang them in my car like dice. Will you help me?"
- thatguy

"Can you shoot out customizable fireballs? Then why should your Mii be able to?"
- vudu

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #83 on: January 11, 2007, 11:15:10 AM »
Wait a minute...

Wasn't Apple supposed to do their keynote conference on the 11th? Did they ever make it? Was the iPhone the big announcement? What else did they announce?

If so, this is strike one for SB's prediction as nothing has been announced about the alleged Nintendo/Apple team up.  
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline chris+pie=joy

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 11, 2007, 11:31:13 AM »
they announced iTV or something like that....from what ive heard it lets you get iTunes on your TV...WOW....so not worth it ..........
i like pie

---------------------------

Wii#:4754-2377-2559-3244

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 11, 2007, 11:33:22 AM »

Originally posted by: Galford
Just a quick update.

Cisco is sueing Apple over the iPhone.
Apparently Cisco has held the trademark since 1996.

This should be interesting...

For once a tech company getting sued and it isn't by one of those Technology Trolls.

Also: Banner ad for FIVE-HUNDRED NINETY-NINE US DOLLARS jr.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline capamerica

• ^______^
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 11, 2007, 03:37:30 PM »
Okay lets clear up a few things.

1. Yes pap64 Apple did have the Keynote, it was 2 days ago. The big announcements were AppleTV which lets you watch/hear anything that is in your iTunes library on your TV from any PC or Mac in your house. Its like a Media Center PC with out needing a PC right next to your TV. They also showed off the new iPhone. Which is a WHOLE lot more then just a simple phone. I recomend people go and read up on both these products before coming up with conclusions.

2. UERD you say that the iPhone is over priced compared to the RAZR, Well if anything you should be comparing the iPhone to a Blackberry. The iPhone is a WHOLE lot more then just a simple Phone with a simple MP3 player built in. You need to think of the iPhone as a Cellphone, a VoIP phone, a 4GB (or 8GB) Video iPod, Digital Camera and a MacMini all in one. Its not even fair to compare it to a Blackberry which is a PDA and Cellphone in one since the Computer in the iPhone is just that a computer and is not a weak PDA. For anyone who is a Trekkie the best way to describe what the iPhone is, it to say that its like a PADD Its FAR more advanced that any PDA or Cellphone on the market.

3. On the topic of Apple getting sued by Cisco, Apple has already talked about that and it seems that it won't be a issue. First Cisco has been doing a sh!tty job keeping tabs on the name iPhone and if Cisco does sue Apple over the uses they will have to sue a dozen other companies who also have phones called iPhones. Second the Apple iPhone is a multi-function device the Cisco iPhone is just a VoIP phone, As long as Apple doesn't have a standalone VoIP phone they can uses the name according to trademark law. Its the same law that let them call themselves Apple Computers even thou we had Apple Records. Third Apple technically holds claim to any name that starts with 'i' Since Apple has the iMac, iPod, iTunes, iLife, iPhoto, iWeb, iMovie, iDVD, iWorks, iChat, iSight, iSync, iCal, and whatever other 'i' items the have. Apple can grab any name they want sine the whole 'i' thing was their doing and if I recall correctly they actually have a trademark on any name starting with 'i'. They have taken a name once already someone made a product called iWorks and they went after them and got it and they will easily do it again with this if need be.  
Crow ~ MST3K
<BR>-- I like my food like I like my women Chinese, Japaneses, Korean, Filipino, Vietnamese and Hot! --

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 11, 2007, 04:28:53 PM »
The iPhone does EVERYTHING the Wii's non-gaming functions does... and it does it better.

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #88 on: January 11, 2007, 04:58:37 PM »

Originally posted by: Kairon
The iPhone does EVERYTHING the Wii's non-gaming functions does... and it does it better.

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Well, to be fair, Apple has been doing this sort of thing for years now, while the Wii is perhaps Nintendo's first multimedia console that offers more than just gaming.

They are still working on it, so lets give them a year or two.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 11, 2007, 05:16:23 PM »
I was wrong: he didn't announce anything this time.

Though, if it happens, an announcement like this could come anytime, since Nintendo has been known for breaking news at times other than tradeshows (like when revealing the Wii name, for example).

Still, it's all speculation. It could easily never happen.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #90 on: January 11, 2007, 05:32:03 PM »

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother
I was wrong: he didn't announce anything this time.

Though, if it happens, an announcement like this could come anytime, since Nintendo has been known for breaking news at times other than tradeshows (like when revealing the Wii name, for example).

Still, it's all speculation. It could easily never happen.

If this were to happen I expect it to happen either in the middle or the end of the year. The reason I failed to believe that Apple would drop the announcement now was because the Wii was just released and still needs to grow a stable user base before dropping any kind of support.

I already told you that I am going to give your prediction more merit, SB, since you are NOT the only one thinking this way. Hackers and modders have already found ways to play iTunes music on the Wii and more than one person has said that Nintendo and Apple should team up. This type of movement and speculation will only drive Nintendo and Apple out of their foxholes and do something about it.

I'm just saying that it is far too early in the game before dropping any wishes like these. And like I said, what might be logical to us may be worthless to the companies.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 11, 2007, 05:35:36 PM »
My prediction of the creation of Mario DDR was a little more from left field and that one was right.

This one isn't as far-fetched, especially since many others are predicting it as well.

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #92 on: January 11, 2007, 05:40:24 PM »

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother
My prediction of the creation of Mario DDR was a little more from left field and that one was right.

This one isn't as far-fetched, especially since many others are predicting it as well.

I personally never found the idea of a Mario DDR to be THAT far fetched.

At the time that Mario DDR was announced, Nintendo had put Mario in everything from countless of Mario sequels to third party, extreme sports titles. By the time Mario DDR came into the scene, everyone was like "Great, yet ANOTHER Mario game" rather than "OMFG MARIO IS IN DDR!".

Mario appearing alongside FF characters in hoops and teaming up with the DQ team to bring Itadaki street DS, however, were far more surprising since we all know that Square avoid Nintendo like the plague in the mid to late 1990s and reflect a new Square, a Square willing to experiment across the board.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Galford

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 12, 2007, 01:02:22 AM »
It will be interesting to see what happens with iPhone.

Cisco is not someone Apple can just sue into submission.(Cisco is worth 2x Apple)
If Apple is smart they will say "Cisco, how many money hats do you want?" and then pay up.

Wii Code - 8679 5256 1008 2077

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 12, 2007, 01:10:41 AM »

Originally posted by: pap64
I personally never found the idea of a Mario DDR to be THAT far fetched.

I'd agree with you except that everyone I suggested the idea to thought I was full of sh*t.

Offline capamerica

• ^______^
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 12, 2007, 01:43:09 AM »

Originally posted by: Galford

Cisco is not someone Apple can just sue into submission.(Cisco is worth 2x Apple)
If Apple is smart they will say "Cisco, how many money hats do you want?" and then pay up.

I don't think you'll see Apple throw around any money hats at Cisco. They knew what they were getting into with the name, they knew Cisco had a iPhone and they went and did it anyway. They have a ace up their sleeve that will prevent Cisco from doing anything.

Are you sure Cisco is actually worth twice as much as Apple?

Crow ~ MST3K

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 12, 2007, 03:35:16 AM »

Originally posted by: capamerica
Second the Apple iPhone is a multi-function device the Cisco iPhone is just a VoIP phone, As long as Apple doesn't have a standalone VoIP phone they can uses the name according to trademark law. Its the same law that let them call themselves Apple Computers even thou we had Apple Records.

The idea behind protecting trademarks is to protect consumers.  If I buy a bottle of dark liquid with "Coca-Cola" on the label, I can be quite confident that the liquid is actually Coca-Cola.  If the Coca-Cola trademark was not protected, an unscrupulous merchant could sell me watered down Pepsi instead.  I wouldn't be able to tell the difference until I was already swindled.  On the other hand, if there's little chance of confusion, the name can be reused by someone else.  This is why Mongoose bicycles, Mongoose Publishing, and Mongoose the Marvel Comics character can all happily coexist.

To a layman, the technical differences between Cisco's and Apple's iPhone products aren't obvious.  They're both communication devices that behave similarly to every phone he's ever used.  The fact that Apple's does a few other things doesn't seem to be nearly enough to make them safe from Cisco's trademark.  They're both phones.  It doesn't help Apple that the iPhone trademark is older than Apple's 'i' names tradition.

Incidentally, in the Apple Records and Apple Computers case, the trademark dispute was never decided on by a judge.  The two companies settled out of court.  Every lawsuit between them since then has been over breach of the settlement contract.

Third Apple technically holds claim to any name that starts with 'i' Since Apple has the iMac, iPod, iTunes, iLife, iPhoto, iWeb, iMovie, iDVD, iWorks, iChat, iSight, iSync, iCal, and whatever other 'i' items the have. Apple can grab any name they want sine the whole 'i' thing was their doing and if I recall correctly they actually have a trademark on any name starting with 'i'. They have taken a name once already someone made a product called iWorks and they went after them and got it and they will easily do it again with this if need be.

I don't believe it's possible to trademark a naming convention.  Also, I haven't been able to find anything about iWorks.  Apple has an actual product named iWork, however, so it's unlikely the case was based simply on the name starting with an 'i'.  Do you have a link to something about it?  The only court case I found was Apple v. dePlume, which was about trade secrets.

Offline capamerica

• ^______^
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 12, 2007, 04:38:03 AM »
So much of what I know is based on what I remember from years ago, I don't keep archives of all these things, but I'll look around and see if I can find a story.

iWorks was a business management program for the Mac it was released a few years before Apple's iWorks. As soon as Apple announced their iWorks the other one disapeared within a few months, I don't know if it was renamed or what but you can no longer find that product. Sun microsystems also had a program called iWorks, not sure what ever happen to that. But I can't seem to find anything recent about it anymore.
Crow ~ MST3K

Offline capamerica

• ^______^
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 12, 2007, 05:21:32 AM »
looks like Apple found away around the iPhone trademark or something cause Apple has a LIVE trademark for the iPhone already.

http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=qke8ea.3.13

It was trademarked on Sept 26th 2006 by Ocean Telecom Services LLC (a Apple company)

It seems like Cisco really dropped the ball on the Trademark.
Cisco's iPhone is refered to as a "computer hardware and software for providing integrated telephone communication with computerized global information networks."

while Apple's iPhone is refered to as "handheld and mobile digital electronic devices for the sending and receiving of telephone calls, faxes, electronic mail, and other digital data; MP3 and other digital format audio players; handheld computers, personal digital assistants, electronic organizers, electronic notepads; magnetic data carriers; telephones, mobile phones, computer gaming machines, videophones, cameras; prerecorded computer programs for personal information management, database management software, electronic mail and messaging software, paging software, database synchronization software, computer programs for accessing, browsing and searching online databases, computer software and firmware, namely operating system programs, data synchronization programs, and application development tool programs for personal and handheld computers; electronic handheld units for the wireless receipt and/or transmission of data that enable the user to keep track of or manage personal information; software for the redirection of messages, Internet e-mail, and/or other data to one or more electronic handheld devices from a data store on or associated with a personal computer or a server; and software for the synchronization of data between a remote station or device and a fixed or remote station or device; computer hardware and software for providing integrated telephone communication with computerized global information networks"

Simpley put, Cisco trademarked a piece of Computer Hardware while Apple trademarked a Cellphone Hybrid. Which in terms makes it two differnt products that are not compeating with each other for the same market.

The only bit Apple has to worry about in their trademark is "computer hardware and software for providing integrated telephone communication with computerized global information networks" Which means that they just have to worry about it being a VoIP phone.

Apple has smart lawers they know what they are doing.
Crow ~ MST3K

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 12, 2007, 06:02:28 AM »
Completely off topic, but care to explain why Biohazard had to be renamed Resident Evil in North America and Europe?  AFAIK, it's not likely that people would get a zombie video game mixed up with a heavy metal band.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!