Author Topic: Nintendo Announces Wii MotionPlus  (Read 37981 times)

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
Re: Nintendo Announces Wii MotionPlus
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2008, 01:18:52 PM »
I just hope that games will have some sort of option that enables people with it and without it to enjoy them. There's a slew of games that would be awesome if this 1:1 thing is real, but you don't want to cut out everyone who doesn't have this.
Its like why most games that use the balance board have options to play the game without it.

Considering how much smaller and cheaper this is than the balance board, I can see it just being packaged with games that will use it. Nintendo will probably subsidize the cost on it.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline BigJim

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2008, 01:22:12 PM »
Nice!

Such a small bugger, too. Hope they incorporate it into future Wiimotes.
"wow."

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2008, 01:24:25 PM »
I am super excited about this.  If they can get this out for $10-20 each individual but also bundle it with a killer game or heck even two...this will be big.

If they can bundle this with a new Nintendo game...like: Animal Crossing/Wii Music/Wii Sports 2.

and then also bundle it with a few 3rd party games this could be big.

Also, I would hope it backwards compatible though I also don't see why you would need to take it out...

This has me really excited, for several games...if it is backwards compatible.  Mario Baseball just got a my interest if it is.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 01:28:53 PM by Spak-Spang »

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2008, 01:27:03 PM »
I'm thinking this stuff has internal program and memory that remembers how you did motions and learns.

Come on Star Wars: Force Unleashed to use it. That would be awesome

Offline Yoshidious

• Silent Partner
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2008, 01:30:57 PM »
I agree with Pale that this is unusual for Nintendo in that it is a concession of the Wii Remote's limitations. The timing is also of note, in that they felt the need for its announcement to occur before Microsoft's press conference. It seems like they wanted to ensure that any announcement of an ostensibly superior Wii Remote-style controller from Microsoft had its legs cut out from under it before it was made. 
Greg Leahy
Former RFN Editor

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2008, 01:56:05 PM »
I really hope devs have known about this for some time.  Otherwise, it's unlikely that we'll see any games take advantage of it this year.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2008, 02:01:01 PM »
I think it won't be used for sword fighting since 1:1 controls mean the player needs to take a lesson in sword fighting.

I do hope it gets used for Zelda though, as you might remember when the Wiimote was announced I said I'd like a Zelda where there are no action buttons, just your Wiimote and the environment. You want to use a stick as a lever in some device, you take the stick, insert it and pull! Secret button on a statue? Find it with your own eyes, push it with your own hand! I believe a game called Trespasser tried that once but it was clumsy since no controller to handle it properly existed.

Offline Athrun Zala

• Tween Idol
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • TM!
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2008, 02:33:34 PM »
Samba de Amigo PERFECT edition confirmed?
Quote from: [b]Professional 666[/b]
JOIN MY ASS

IT'LL BE LOTS OF FUN
Best. Quote. Ever. XD

Offline GregLover5000

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • Shatterglass.net
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2008, 02:43:04 PM »
Is there anyone here who hasn't watched Johnny Chung Lee's Wii head tracking video yet?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Jd3-eiid-Uw

I heard "3D space" and got a little, uh, prematurely excited that this might be the enhanced controller.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2008, 02:50:02 PM »
After I read this news I went to find the Revolutionary ideas thread. And alot of the ideas can be implemented alot better than the current wiimote. Maybe Sega can try Nights again.
GL 5000 that video we have seen before but maybe someone hasn't seen it.God I hope somebody implements that before this gen is over.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Urkel

• Reggie Fart-Aime
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2008, 03:10:09 PM »
This news really made my day. Finally, this is possible.

Obviously they did this to counter any possible Wiimote knockoff. Competition is good. I really thought we'd have to wait until next generation for them to get around to improving their controller.
"ROFS? Rolling on the floor... starving?"- Phoenix Wright

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2008, 03:12:35 PM »
For someone who claimed they had made a "new controller standard" Nintendo sure seems to release a lot of controller accessories.  It's like every six months some new control mechanism is being released.  Nintendo doesn't want to confuse non-gamers and yet has the remote, nunchuk, classic controller, zapper, balance board and now this.  Very un-Nintendo like but not in a good way.

You get the feeling the TRUE purpose of the remote design was to allow Nintendo to sell lots of controller variations.  Sounds like a conspiracy theory but come on.  How can you not suspect that even a little bit?  Non-gamers are confused by too many buttons but aren't confused by five or different parts of a controller sold seperately?  Yeah right.

This sounds like a major improvement to the remote design but I don't really like the idea of having to buy yet another attachment.  The whole purpose of owning a damn console is that I don't have to shell out for new hardware every year.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2008, 03:16:20 PM »
Looks like the MS counter attack didn't happen and Nintendo preempted them unnecessarily...

Ian: Naah, this might be a bit confusing since it's less visible but other than that there's only the nunchuk (used most of the time), the classic controller (used rarely and hardly a must-own if you only play Wii games) and the balance board (comes with the game that uses it, no way to confuse it with anything). The Zapper, wheel and so on are just cosmetic things (and their shape is self-explainatory, you can see immediately what the wheel is for).

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2008, 03:17:22 PM »
I bet Nintendo will just give this away willy nilly and put it in a couple key titles. It's sort of epic... maybe they'd even package it with new Wiimotes?
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2008, 03:19:28 PM »
Everyone new the technology Nintendo was attempting to create wasn't quite there when the Wii was released...but everyone wanted to be like that Nintendo promo video way back.  Even Nintendo. 

I think Nintendo just finally figured out how to do it.  And decided not to wait until next system.

I figured out exactly how to get this into everyone Wii owners hands quickly and easily.

Punch Out.  Yes, I know it isn't my idea, others have said punch out before me.  But what if it takes 2 Wiimote Plus controllers for a single person to play.  Awesome...but what if you want to box a friend or your family...now pack in 2 more and have it as an ultimate bundle...and you are set.  Buy one game and have 4 Wiimote Plus controllers for your system.

Also, new Wiimotes need to be sold with this add on included in package.  I don't think it needs to be added internally into the regular Wiimote...just packed with each new Wiimote.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2008, 03:21:18 PM »
I agree with Ian really.  This will only work if they come up with some mechanism for getting these in every current Wii owners hands.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2008, 03:22:13 PM »
Spak, your idea doesn't account for the millions of people that already have all the wii remotes they need.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------

Offline Urkel

• Reggie Fart-Aime
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2008, 03:23:49 PM »
Looks like the MS counter attack didn't happen and Nintendo preempted them unnecessarily...

Good for Wii owners. Microsoft cedes the new market to Nintendo and we get a better Wiimote simply because of the threat of competition.

BTW, I'm pretty sure some third parties knew about this beforehand...
"ROFS? Rolling on the floor... starving?"- Phoenix Wright

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2008, 03:30:42 PM »
I'll give you the real reason behind this. Now see if you can follow me.

Technology improves and the price goes down. The End!

There no conspiracy, it is just that the technology became more affordable. No big conspiracy, just basic evolution of technology.

Anyway I am excited though I hope it doesn't negate the nunchuck in games.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2008, 03:34:20 PM »
I'm getting this eerie feeling the console gaming is falling into the same trap arcades did.  No one makes arcade games with old joystick and buttons anymore.  Everything has some custom control mechanism.  Nintendo is pushing a lot of games like this.  The Wii itself is like it.  Then you have stuff like Link's Crossbow Training and Mario Kart Wii where, even though those games only use controller shells, the promotion and the appeal is based on a unique control design. Wii Fit does this as well and in that case it's a full functional controller outright.  This MotionPlus thing will undoubtably come packaged with some game that requires it.

It goes beyond just Nintendo.  Guitar Hero and Rock Band are huge and they both are no different than the specialty controllers of arcades.  And of course there's DDR.  But this is all very expensive.  It's impractical the have a different controller for every game.  Part of the whole point of a console controller is that it should be flexible enough that hundreds of games can use it.

How will this last?  People aren't going to pay to buy a new controller with every game.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2008, 03:44:15 PM »
Pale:  What part of packing 4 units in with Punch Out a single game not account for a solution?  Yes it means people have to buy a game for it...at full price.  But getting 4 of them would easily make up for it.

I do agree with Ian that it is getting pretty crazy, but I like that a work around has been solved.  That means the Wii 2 is going to be absolutely amazing when it is finally out.  I can't wait to see what Nintendo does with that.

Another thing to consider though...talking about the Wii 2, is perhaps Nintendo is working on the idea that the next system doesn't need a new controller.  that everything produced for the Wii will carry over.  In that case it isn't as big of deal, because I can just bring my Wii controllers to the next system.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2008, 03:47:23 PM »
How will this last?  People aren't going to pay to buy a new controller with every game.

Well as long as they don't alter the price ($50), I don't see why anyone would care.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2008, 03:54:48 PM »
Oh i read that wrong.. i thought you were inferring a super pack that included controllers too.
---------------------

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2008, 03:57:15 PM »
Pale I was inferring both actually. 

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2008, 03:59:14 PM »
Ian: That's because arcades became unable to support most modern genres and the genres the arcades could run that used regular control schemes died out or turned into story-driven multi-hour affairs.

The shells are designed to make the game more intuitive and fun, a goal of the shells is actually to make it look more fun for spectators! They found that it looks boring to point the wiimote at the screen to shoot stuff so they made the zapper which looks like you're doing much more, telling people "this game is fun!" just from seeing the players.

p.S:: It's clear that Ian is the hardcore Malstrom means :P