Poll

Which WiiWare game should we play and discuss together on a future episode of Radio Free Nintendo?

FAST
8 (26.7%)
escapeVektor, Ch. 1
7 (23.3%)
MotoHeroz
15 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Voting closed: April 12, 2012, 01:47:55 PM

Author Topic: RetroActive #22 Poll: WiiWare Edition  (Read 16677 times)

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
Re: RetroActive #22 Poll: WiiWare Edition
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2012, 10:35:10 AM »

I can understand people avoiding WiiWare because it's a hassle to buy a pre-determined amount points and then try to spend them the "right" way to avoid waste.

I can understand people avoiding WiiWare because digital downloads locked to a console and there are no known plans for transitioning/upgrading to other hardware.

I'm still amazed that people would intentionally avoid good, cheap games that are easily available on a platform they already own simply because they prefer to stay ignorant as some sort of statement, instead making the modicum of effort to sort good from bad. (There are reviews out there and at least one website dedicated to covering all of the content released via WiiWare. There also isn't exactly a ton of content to sift through to find the gems.)

But hey, it's a free world and there is more than enough gaming to go around. Spend your dollars however you want.
NNID: ejamer

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2012, 01:29:45 PM »
I'm still amazed that people would intentionally avoid good, cheap games that are easily available on a platform they already own simply because they prefer to stay ignorant as some sort of statement, instead making the modicum of effort to sort good from bad. (There are reviews out there and at least one website dedicated to covering all of the content released via WiiWare. There also isn't exactly a ton of content to sift through to find the gems.)

Or I just prefer to not suffer from a gaming version of Stockholm Syndrome, which I think sums up how many people can feel that way about WiiWare.  :P

Edit: maybe that should be "Kairon Syndrome." :P
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 01:49:16 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2012, 02:07:31 PM »
Interesting fact: If you look at the 100 highest-rated Wii games on Metacritic, 24 are WiiWare games.

You could argue that sequels or games in the same series (ie: Bit.Trip, Mega Man, LostWinds) should be single entries... but by the time you add more games to bring the total back up to 100, more distinct WiiWare titles are included.  The percentage doesn't drop significantly, and still makes up more than 1/5 of the list.

Make whatever argument you want about marketing or quality or being held hostage (???). It doesn't matter. When you write off WiiWare as a whole, you reduce the selection of quality games available on the system.  End of story.

Anyway, I'm done peddling the merits of WiiWare.  People aren't going to change their minds, and I'm sure that you all have enough gaming lined up that it really doesn't matter if you miss out on a few interesting titles.

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2012, 03:30:15 PM »
It's like with iPhone games. The vast majority are awful, but if you're willing to do a bit of research you'll find some really good stuff on the service.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2012, 03:59:42 PM »
I'd go as far as to say that it's like any digital distribution service. In this day and age, the platforms are more accessible to a greater number of developers, and as a result, more crap makes it in. I'm thankful that informative outlets, such as this website, exist to nudge us in the direction of titles worth playing - they may be outnumbered in the marketplace, but they are still deserving of recognition.
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline Hey Einstein!

• Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2012, 09:41:43 AM »

But hey, it's a free world and there is more than enough gaming to go around. Spend your dollars however you want.

Speaking purely for myself - I would never deliberately avoid good, cheap games that are easily available on a platform I already own.

But your closing sentence high lights the problem for me with Wiiware: I have too many platforms offering me good, cheap, easily available games: ios, eshop, steam, onlive, sen, chrome and of course wiiware.
It's a new strain of Lindemann syndrome: Most of the people I know aged under 40 have a computer, an ipod touch or ipad, a smart phone and at least 1 console or hand held. Most of the guys have 2 consoles, one for Wii Bowling & one for Modern Warfare. You can always find a bargain game for something.

My point is that most of these other platforms - despite being host to lots of rubbish - are much better at getting my money than Wiiware has been. They are better at direct marketing and their special offers get more coverage online (not that Nintendo do special offers for downloadable games).

Other platforms do a much better job of generating hype then has been managed for Wiiware games.
Also I find it fascinating that even on a Nintendo fan sight Wiiware has such a bad name that it makes people like me grown and people like Ejamer get defensive.

To summarize: my gaming time and disposable cash is long gone before I browse for Wiiware titles and recommendations. Despite my prioritizing Nintendo game experiences.

I'm really looking forward to hearing the RFN guys discuss this one. It's made for an interesting debate already and this is just the poll!

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2012, 11:01:02 AM »
Great point.  I strongly agree that the pricing policy (no sales or price drops) combined with limited hype and marketing make the platform less attractive when gamers are choosing where to spend their limited resources.

There are a handful of titles that I would buy if they went on sale. But when dozens of great retail Wii games are available for $10-20, I just can't justify spending full price ($8-15) on non-transferable digital content years after the original release.

Good games? Yes.  Good value? Meh... sometimes yes, sometimes not so much.

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2012, 01:10:14 PM »
We don't discuss WiiWare much on the show. This is a true statement that we cannot offer a counter-opinion to. However, there hasn't exactly been a bevy of things to talk about as of late.

Could I go back to doing the downloads on the show? Sure, but the rest of the cast would kill themselves.

I'm not sure how much hay I can get from Penguin Patrol.

"Waddle We Do?! Baby penguins have been stranded on thin ice by the evil (but oddly stylish) Walrus, and it's up to the Penguin Patrol to rescue them!"

I played that game when it was called Thin Ice on the Intellivision.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2012, 03:05:31 PM »
But isn't your whole presence on the show basically just there to torture the rest of the cast? I think subjecting them to you talking about the downloads would be a pretty good way to do that.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Crimm

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2012, 09:09:11 AM »
If it gets cut out there isn't really a net gain.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline xcwarrior

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2012, 07:02:43 AM »
This works for a poll. I was looking to pick up MotoHerez anyway, this might be the motivation if it wins.
Nintendo ID: XCWarrior
3DS code: 1289-8376-3350. PM me if you want to swap.
Steam and backloggery.com are also: XCWarrior

Offline LittleIrves

• Title = Ha.
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Kill Screen
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2012, 10:14:24 AM »
Personally I was excited when I heard WiiWare was the platform of choice. I just moseyed through the service for kicks a few weeks ago and found a bunch of games I didn't pick up when they released but am very curious about. Off the top of my head:

-Rock 'n Roll Climber
-Bonsai Barber
-Art Style: light trax
-Snowpack Park

And I'm just realizing all of these are Nintendo-published. But I think that's the problem....even if they're Nintendo properties, if they're not one of the "known" franchises, people scoff at them as junk without even trying them. Sure, these aren't going to be Zelda-deep experiences, but they seem like games you can't get anywhere else and have a unique and clever take on what a game can be. For all the people who say they want Nintendo to create new IPs...  they've been making new properties for years now in the downloadable space. Just haven't done a great job selling them.
Contributing writer at killscreendaily.com

Offline Crimm

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2012, 01:17:46 PM »
EXECUTIVE DECISION!

ROCK AND ROLL CLIMBER!
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Pandareus

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2012, 01:38:43 PM »
Hey! Say what you want about Rock N' Roll Climber, at least it was interesting!

I liked it while it lasted.