Author Topic: Legend of Korra game by Platinum  (Read 17538 times)

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
Legend of Korra game by Platinum
« on: July 25, 2014, 01:09:04 AM »
Strong contender for #2 GOTY (obviously Bayonetta 2 is already indisputably #1):

We should finally see some gameplay videos tomorrow.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
Re: Legend of Korra game by Platinum
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 03:31:38 AM »
After the drama that's been going on, I'm gonna support anything they release for the show. I've bought all the home video releases, soundtrack, art books, comics, and now I'll add a game to my collection.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 03:32:19 PM »
http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/22/sdcc-2014-ign-live-comic-con-live-stream-schedule

IGN will livestream the Korra game for 15 minutes at 3:15 P.M. PST today.

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 06:19:15 PM »
Watching the stream live.

Graphically looks pretty cheap, but whatevs.

Character is smaller on screen than usual for Platinum games allowing for bigger scale attacks and bigger enemies (closer to Sengoku Basara)

4 hours campaign on one difficulty.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 06:47:51 PM »
It's a cheap downloadable licensed game. Platinum or not, it was guaranteed to look bad graphically. I'm loving the combat system but the dumb "temple run" Naga stage was the worst part of the video.

I hope whatever god awful story they have in it isn't canon.

Offline azeke

• View Profile

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2014, 11:07:45 PM »
It's a cheap downloadable licensed game. Platinum or not, it was guaranteed to look bad graphically. I'm loving the combat system but the dumb "temple run" Naga stage was the worst part of the video.

I believe the creators confirmed the game as canon when the game was originally announced and stated to take place between seasons 2 & 3.

Just glancing at the footage, this may be unfair considering the constraints of a video game but my chief complaint is that the Bending (THE most iconic and important aspect of the show) looks super generic. I don't get any sense of the distinct fighting styles behind the different elements that are in the actual show. It just looks like Korra doing standard punches and kicks with the occasional elemental glow thrown in. Meh.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2014, 11:11:08 PM »

I believe the creators confirmed the game as canon when the game was originally announced and stated to take place between seasons 2 & 3.

Yeah, I remember seeing that, but I refuse to call it canon. T_T

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2014, 02:39:34 AM »
Another video with the samedemo:
http://youtu.be/EkpG4amknYQ

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2014, 12:26:59 AM »
I was not impressed at all with the video demo.  The different style of bending doesn't feel unique at all.  The water bending and fire bending basic attacks felt the same. 

What I like about the show is the paper, rock, scissors approach to the elements, and how the characters use their abilities in unique ways to express bending creativity and unique style. 

I hope the demo was just very boring, and the actual game will be more exciting.

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2014, 06:30:37 AM »

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2014, 04:27:01 PM »
Release date: October 21st and a new video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56F979JU1ek

October will have 3 Platinum releases, nice.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2014, 04:37:42 PM »
I'm definitely hyped. Pro-bending mode doesn't have an offline or online multiplayer components, right?

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2014, 10:10:33 PM »
Unless it is changed Pro-Bending Mode is only single player...I think I remember that from an interview.

Anyway, I wish I could be impressed, but yeah the bending as awful in this.  What is great about the original series and this...was bending was connected to a martial art form.  So Fire Benders should actually be using Martial arts and bending together.  The same with all the bending. 

I would rather see 4 distinct fighting styles, that the player can use, and then enhance with bending.  So like the 4 shoulder buttons being used to modify regular attacks with bending.  So I could do a few regular kicks and then modify with air to launch into the air and modify my jump with air and then Fire bend blast him to the ground.  But I feel that this game doesn't actually give the full variety I am looking for.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2014, 10:22:25 PM »
The bending in Korra is also based on many different martial arts. This is just a shitty action game.

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2014, 11:14:37 PM »
So like the 4 shoulder buttons being used to modify regular attacks with bending.
You're contradicting yourself. If you want "regular attacks" that are the same regardless of bending, then it wouldn't 4 distinct fighting styles to begin with.

modify with air to launch into the air and modify my jump with air and then Fire bend blast him to the ground.  But I feel that this game doesn't actually give the full variety I am looking for.
That's exactly what the game is doing and most of the videos showed combining different styles within one combo starting with launchers and then switching to some other element to finish the enemy.

Ideas are like assholes -- everyone has them. So far, this game seeming does the best of trying to preserve cartoon ideas while trying to make the actual game satisfying and balanced.

You guys need to play some character action games.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2014, 12:53:52 AM »
The problem to me is...the bending I saw looked the same...and I know ideas aren't everything...and implication is everything. 

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2014, 03:09:00 AM »
Azeke, if you want to act all holier than thou you may want to try harder. Jeez man. Lay off.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2014, 10:00:55 PM »
Azeke:  I am not contradicting myself.

In the original series each element was modeled after a different fighting style.  But Aang still used Air nation fighting with other fighting styles...because he never really mastered any other techniques...just bending.

So Korra you could argue master water bending martial arts and would modify her techniques with other bending.  However when she modified common attacks with different bending maybe she would have learned a technique to modify that normal attack into something similar to what a fire bending martial artist would have learned.

By using this technique you could have allowed the player to play as several different benders from the series...developing their unique fighting styles and giving the "pure" benders more options are representation of their bending and fighting styles. 

This would make it necessary to learn how to best fight each type of bender in a sort of paper rock scissors match. 

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2014, 02:12:25 AM »
In the original series each element was modeled after a different fighting style.  But Aang still used Air nation fighting with other fighting styles...because he never really mastered any other techniques...just bending.
You're right of course, but you're talking in a very general terms, and that is hardly applicable to game design.

Even within the show all the definitions are blurred and there is no developed ready-to-use clear combat system that you could just transfer into a game, ATLA isn't Pokemon or D&D. It's a story, first and foremost and an amazing one at that.

This game isn't rooted in real-world kung-fu styles, but it's more in a Platinum tradition with roots from Devil May Cry combat systems (specifically DMC4 with on the fly style-switching). Of course they tried to tailor it into some slight resemblance to the show visually, but mechanically it's Platinum game 100%.

That's why it's hard for people outside of that context to judge what's going in there and see the real depth.

The problem to me is...the bending I saw looked the same...
Let's analyze one scene and i will try to show you the depth, shall we?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkpG4amknYQ&t=7m02s
(if the link doesn't work for you, switch to 7:02 in the video)

We start at long range with water bending blasts from afar:

As the guy on the right start closing in, we switch to Earth which is slower but hard hitting:

and start doing Earth moves stunning the distant guy that we are focused on ("tagging" him, note the the red line with "X" over his head):

Then instantly, mid-combo player switches to Water (actually the switch happened in the last screenshot but the effects of the Earth combo were still there), keeps attacking stunned equalist at the distance and at the same time blast from switching also hits the mook on the right who was just about to attack:

Switch to Air (for some reason):

Two mid-range air blasts:

As the player starts closing in, he switches to Fire (in this game, it's close-mid range style):

With Fire he does combo string with area effect where fireballs are rotating all around us (equalist on the right tries to dodge it):

As the player continues his Fire combo closing in on stunned equalist, he notices the guy on the right who got way to close and switches to Earth to cause "switch explosion" to knock him out:

And another hard hit with Earth (note how the last fireball of our unfinished Fire combo is still in the air):

Our guy is fully stunned and ripe for finishing off:

Not even sure what happens here, maybe when mooks are stunned any attack counts as this kind of crazy finishing move:

We switch to the remaining mook:

Fire attack launches him in the air. Switch to Earth and then Water (because switcher is a circle):

Water attacks keep him helpless in the air, "juggling" him:

Player switches to Air and does Dragon Punch type rising uppercut:

Switch to Fire, two brief attacks, aaaand he's done:

Table with the final result of the fight. The entire encounter took the player 16 seconds:

And it's not even that impressive of a fight to be honest. He only used very basic attacks and combos.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 02:17:11 AM by azeke »

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2014, 03:19:18 AM »
I watched that video, and honestly wasn't impressed.  Actually I based my original opinions on that video.  I hope that I am wrong, because Korra is one of my favorite shows, and I want her to get a great game to help continue the popularity of the franchise.  But until I see how the different elements react to different characters, which may actually be in the game.  I don't know.  To me many of the moves (not all of them) looked like.  Red Fireball, Blue Fireball, Air Fireball. 

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2014, 03:39:42 AM »
Look, you can try to defend the mechanics all you want. For all your talk about tactics, Azeke, it doesn't change that it's boring to watch; looks lazily implemented; and looks nothing like the bending in the show it's based on.  It just looks like the lazy cash grab that it is.  Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if the bending in that 360 cash-in Avatar: TLA game (the one everyone farmed for achievements) looked more convincing.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2014, 03:42:34 AM »
Freezing enemies with water blasts (20:06):

Strong fire attack (19:20):

Fire breathing attack (19:26):

Very deliberate and unique earthbending combo starting from 19:09:

Raising a column launching Two Toed Ping into the air:

And then kicking the upper part of the column, throwing it towards Viper and unnamed earthbender:

All are unmistakably unique moves that are impossible to confuse with any other elements.

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2014, 03:49:21 AM »
you can try to defend the mechanics all you want
By using word "defending" you're trying to imply it's deficient in some way, and automatically put me in inferior position. I refuse to put myself there.

I am not defending anything. I am showing the ways how this game's combat looks great. Using actual facts, like actual screenshots and footage from the game.

Also this implies this is some kind of war. I don't how it looks from your side, but i see this as a clarification of misunderstandings.

Combat looks great and is exciting to watch and should be 100 times even more exciting to play, judging by Platinum's stellar track record.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 04:02:19 AM by azeke »

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2014, 11:10:19 AM »
The last attacks you showed are much better, and represent the universe much better.  Thanks for showing me those. 

In the end, it really is going to be impossible to make a video game with the level of "organic" bending usage from the series.  But that just shows how great that series truly is.