Author Topic: Episode 659: Sometimes It's Okay to Bean a Child  (Read 7539 times)

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
Episode 659: Sometimes It's Okay to Bean a Child
« on: February 09, 2020, 11:27:00 AM »

Only in France, and only with a soccer ball. Phantom R said so.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/52820/episode-659-sometimes-its-okay-to-bean-a-child

Guillaume is the only person with New Business this week, so we quickly dispatch this responsibility with his look at Wide Ocean Big Jacket. I'm not exactly sure how to describe it; the developers say to think of it like "going to a movie," but Guillaume seemed to enjoy it.

The reason for our paucity of New Business is laid bare when we steal some time for our New Business conversation on Rhythm Thief & the Emperor's Treasure. We tackle the big questions: "How French is Phantom R?", "Who steals a casket?", "What the heck does 'le woeuf!' mean?" and "Why did Napoleon dress his minions like a bunch of goobers?". We also spend a lot of time with the EXTREMELY OBVIOUS inspiration of this early-3DS game and place it in its proper place in history nearly a decade after its release.

He's a thief, and he is a phantom, but for trademark reasons please do not combine those two things.

You can send us your cease and desist orders here.

Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
Re: Episode 659: Sometimes It's Okay to Bean a Child
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2020, 02:50:55 AM »
When Rhythm Thief segment started, i thought it was some kind of ad for some semi-historical fictional podcast....
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2020, 05:51:12 AM »
I was very interested in Wide Ocean Big Jacket after hearing this episode. I bought it and streamed it
https://youtu.be/9_QvgVVbAjI

I liked it, but the story does get weird in a way I wasn't expecting.

Offline Pandareus

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2020, 09:35:03 AM »
Are you refering to the sudden argument about having kids? Yeah, I didn't see that turn coming, though it makes sense in context and you can see in hindsight what led up to it. At least you get the possibility of patching things up somewhat depending on the order to pass the stick around at the end.

edit - I listened to a bit of the stream while at work and had a big grin on my face. I really like these characters. It's truly a great game.

Your stream also made me wonder what I missed, because you missed a couple of things at least. For instance, you're not alone on that beach. Makes you glad there are chapter stops.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 09:54:00 AM by Pandareus »

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2020, 03:22:01 PM »
Specifically thinking of the girl asking cloanne what sex is like and when she should have it. Thats the weird part I wasnt expecting.

I will have to play through it again if you saw things I didnt.

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2020, 06:55:27 AM »
Finally got round to finishing Rhythm Thief, thanks for doing this retroactive to force me to put some time into it. I agree with the sentiments that it's a slightly flawed game that leaves a good first impression but tapers off. Strangely high budget and worth taking a look at because it does some things well enough.