Author Topic: rapala fishing for wii  (Read 7593 times)

Offline ryancoke

• 200k avatars lol!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
rapala fishing for wii
« on: November 23, 2006, 06:16:34 AM »
anybody know anything about this upcoming game like a release date? I've seen it on ebgames.com and futureshop.ca but it's not in stock yet and there is a preview of it on gamespot which doesn't really show anything.  I can't wait for a little wii couch fishin'!
My Wii Code:
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Jesus Saves.....after he passes each level

Offline Chode2234

• View Profile
RE: rapala fishing for wii
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2006, 12:33:37 PM »
yeah I have been interested in it too.  The net is suprisingly void of information.  Let me know if you see anything, or if you find any reviews.
Wii:  0279 2707 3253 3306

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
RE:rapala fishing for wii
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2006, 02:38:59 PM »
Not to hurt the buzz or anything, but I feel confident this will be one of those titles that quietly slips to stores with little publicity.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Chode2234

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2006, 02:25:59 AM »
I would think that there would be some coverage at least because it is a launch game, and seems a prefect fit for the abilities of the wiimote.

But I agree, fishing games usually fly under the radar.  But even IGN reviews fishing games for the systems.  Granted most suck.  Thats why I am anxious to hear something on rapala fishing for the wii.

Offline ryancoke

• 200k avatars lol!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2006, 02:40:57 AM »
there was a link on IGN for it today (the 28th) but it just goes to a little synopsis page that doesn't really show anything.  I should check the reviews on the xb360 version because it will probably be very similar with better controls and toned down grafix.
My Wii Code:

Offline Chode2234

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2006, 10:51:32 AM »
I couldnt even find any reviews for the 360 version.  Lets hope they concentrated on gameplay and content over a marketing campaign...

post a link if you have one.  Thanks.

Offline franky005

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2006, 11:58:32 AM »
While browsing at the local Best Buy I did see the game for sale.  I don't know anything about it though.
Number 81

Offline ryancoke

• 200k avatars lol!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2006, 01:59:25 PM »

Originally posted by: franky005
While browsing at the local Best Buy I did see the game for sale.  I don't know anything about it though.

Was that the Wii version or the xb360?
I noticed today that futureshop.ca seems to have completely removed the game from their website

My Wii Code:

Offline franky005

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2006, 02:25:48 PM »
It was the Wii version, so it is definately out there.  I wouldn't have noticed it if I hadn't read this thread earlier.

Edit:  IGN has a review of it up...let's just say it wasn't friendly.
Number 81

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2006, 04:06:04 PM »
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline ryancoke

• 200k avatars lol!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2006, 06:55:49 AM »
That really sucks. I was really looking forward to it. From the sounds of IGN's review, it's not even worth renting. There hasn't been a really good fishing game since Sega Marine Fishing on the Dreamcast...grrrrr...
My Wii Code:

Offline Chode2234

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2006, 07:02:31 AM »
I did see it in BB today, unfortunately I have no Wii and no need to buy it right now.  I will read the review when I get home tonight.

Offline Chode2234

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2006, 09:55:42 AM »
Has anyone actually played this, is it as bad as the reviews say it is, or just more ign crap?  Someone has to have played this?  Just curious.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2006, 12:50:43 PM »
I have it coming in though Gamefly.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Chode2234

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2006, 10:16:29 AM »
Ok I went and rented it today.  It isnt very good, I was hoping the charm would grow on me, but alas I find more frustration than charm.  

Offline NeoThunder

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2006, 11:18:19 PM »
when has there ever been a fishing game thats been any good?

i'm tired of these bad games!!!!!!
Wii# 4120-9638-2308-7614
<BR>
<BR>Mario Kart# 3178-8705-8094
<BR>
<BR>Faith is the complete surrender and acceptence of total control

Offline ryancoke

• 200k avatars lol!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2006, 02:58:40 AM »

Originally posted by: NeoThunder
when has there ever been a fishing game thats been any good?

i'm tired of these bad games!!!!!!

Sega marine fishing for Dreamcast was the bomb yo  
My Wii Code:

Offline Chode2234

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2006, 07:29:29 AM »
There are some good ones:  Sega bass fishing duel, Super Black Bass.

I guess I am not really looking for a masterpiece, but something solid that does what I think it should (being a fisherman and all) that can get me through the winter when all the lakes are frozen.

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2006, 08:26:27 AM »
Why doesn't Nintendo finally whore out Zelda a bit and make Legend of Zelda: Curse of the Walleye? Just flesh out Twilight Princess' fishing hole a bit and that's not a bad game.  

Offline Chode2234

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2006, 11:15:59 AM »
agreed, it wouldnt be a bad game, in fact might be something very do-able on the VC.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2006, 07:14:39 AM »
Rapala is pretty weak.

It's fun for the first hour or so (at least it was for me) because I played with beer in my left hand and Wiimote in my right and yelled and swore at the fish in order to get the genuine fishing experience.

I played the arcade mode and found it pretty easy, basically giving you all of the best lures and lines right up front makes the game drastically easier than it should be.

Then, there's just not enough use of the Wiimote itself. When you catch a large fish and finally get it to the boat, you play a little minigame where you aim the net icon at the fish icon with the Wiimote pointer, then press a 4 button combo quickly in order to catch the fish. Huh? Why not have to use the net via Wiimote to scoop the fish up?

I admit that the use of the Wiimote makes this game much better than it would be with a regular controller, but there's only so much you can do with a fishing game to make it interesting and even then Rapala really didn't try too hard to go the distance to make it a more enjoyable experience. The most fun of the game was belting out a southern accent and laughing about the fact that the fisherman, after catching a large fish, actually seems to place it in his pants while placing small fish in his shirt pocket. The announcer (also a terrible southern accent) had the line, "That fish is worth keeping!" at which we all continued, "...In muh pants!"

Not even a worthwhile rent and certainly not a buy.  
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline capamerica

• ^______^
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2006, 05:18:30 PM »
I have to say from what I've seen first hand the Dreamcast had a 10x better fishing game. If you picked up a cheap Fishing controller for any console you already have a much better version then what the Wii got. Also the graphics look like a PS2 port (at most). Its very disappointing.

I mean hell they didn't even use the 'B' trigger as the casting button, instead they used the 'A' button, have these people ever gone fishing in their life? If you have ever been fishing the button you press to cast your line is under the reel so you use your index finger to press it, not your thumb.

And the mini game you have to do in oder to net the fish is stupid and a pretty big pain to hit the buttons trying to go from 'A' to '2' with one hand is hard.
"Alright, you know what? I'm just giving in and looking at the breasts."
Crow ~ MST3K
<BR>-- I like my food like I like my women Chinese, Japaneses, Korean, Filipino, Vietnamese and Hot! --

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2006, 06:24:58 PM »

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother
I played with beer in my left hand and Wiimote in my right and yelled and swore at the fish in order to get the genuine fishing experience.

You are awesome. If I had a sig, I'd quote you.

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Hocotate

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2006, 02:26:23 AM »
Thats too bad, I was looking forward to getting this game too (if it was even slightly good). My local Target appeared to be out of copies of the game (or just didn't stock them?) becasue the case was empty above the name... That got my hopes up wishing it would be a hit

Hopefully some developer somewhere will make a good fishing game for Wii that uses the Wii remote correctly.
Currently Playing: Twilight Princess(Wii), Castlevania: PoR(DS), Mario vs. Donkey Kong2(DS), Wii sports(Wii)
Anticipating: Mario Galaxy(Wii), Blue Dragon(360), Dragon Quest:Swords(Wii), Dragon Quest IX (DS)

Offline Chode2234

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2006, 02:48:32 AM »
The fishing in Zelda is actually much better.  At least the casting and fishing are much more responsive.  I found Rapala to be very sluggish and un-responsive.  It is imposible to make the lure do what you do with it in real life.  The camera angles are weird (especially close to the boat) and the landing fish mini-game is so stupid.  The lakes available are really only small ponds, and very generic.  I had hopes it would be awesome, with it featuring a couple lakes in my home state and walleyes, musky, perch, and bass available.  Although to be honest the Rapala license hurt it, because you only had rapala crankbaits and nothing else.  No plastic worms, no jigs, etc.  WTF?  But the licensed tackle is cool, I just wish it was more brands.

I love fishing and love my wii.  Its too bad that I will have to wait for a good fishing game.  Someone is bound to make it, I personally hope it is sega and they make a bass fishing duel game.  I can wish...