Author Topic: PlayStation Portable, a serious contender to GBA?  (Read 21131 times)

Offline boggy b

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
PlayStation Portable, a serious contender to GBA?
« on: May 13, 2003, 10:56:11 AM »
Sony plans to branch out into the Handheld market, and they have a MASSIVE hardware superority over the GBA.

http://e3.playstation.com/press_details.asp?id=11

Specs; seem very impressive:

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/402/402220p1.html  
"And when he gets to heaven,
To St. Peter he will tell:
One more soldier reporting Sir,
I've served my time in hell."

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: PlayStation Portable, a serious contender to GBA?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2003, 11:02:44 AM »
Now the big question, who wants to work with it?

Offline boggy b

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2003, 11:26:23 AM »
Well, I can see lots of people wanting to work for it. There are so many possibilities since it's 3D. A remake of the original MGS, FFVII in a portable form? I can see it being a serious contender.

And a 1.5Gb storage capacity? That's FFVII on one disk (!).

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2003, 11:37:21 AM »
The GameGear had a MASSIVE technical superiority over the GB and we all know how that turned out.

It's all about user base, though, and this time the tables are turned on Sony. Just like in the console business, where even though the XBox and Gamecube are MUCH more powerful than the PS2, the PS2 gets by far the most support because of it's user base. This time, though, Nintendo has the immense user base (the GBA is almost a monopoly) and it's Sony who has the tiny little user base. Besides, technical superiority isn't much considering I haven't heard any developers complain about the GBA's lack of power. Hell, even it has some 3D polygon-pushing engines out now.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline boggy b

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2003, 11:52:03 AM »
Mode 7 isn't EXACTLY the most advanced graphics system ever...

And don't forget, Sony has done an almost identical thing to Nintendo in the past.

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2003, 01:45:42 PM »
What's the big deal is the storage, using mini-dvd's 2.4 inch which can hold up to 1.8GB.

Also it's going support MPEG and higher res.  

I'll keep the GBA for now since Sony's still a few years off but at least this means Nintendo's going have to release an GBA2 sooner than later now.

Offline dmbfan755

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2003, 02:05:29 PM »
I think that PS is weak in titles and themes of games and systems. No new games ever come out, they are mostly sequals, which have stupid titles like blank blank 2 in stead of blank blank: blank blank, like nintendo. I mean, Ps 2 was the weakest title since final fantasy 27 or whatever they're on now, and i think this new product is also a copy of an existing system- the SP. I mean, flip top lid and backlit? no one has seen or thoght of it since SP, and now sony thinks they can just take it?

Here's some pics-
http://se.gamereactor.net/news/index.asp?NewsID=5130

GO NINTENDO!  
If anybody wants to give me any virtual boy games, that would be, Indubitably, Neat-o.  

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2003, 03:59:06 PM »
None of that actually pertains to the PSP, dmb fan.

"And don't forget, Sony has done an almost identical thing to Nintendo in the past."

Yeah, and they did it with inferior hardware.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2003, 04:33:00 PM »
MPEG...great highly uncompressed video with not so great quality.

Offline BiLdItUp1

• Brain Parasite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2003, 04:34:55 PM »
I'm just worried that Nintendo will get too complacent with this matter just as it did with the original PlayStation. If the PSP comes out with a good price point and lots of supporters, who knows what could happen?
All issues are political issues, and politics itself is a mass of lies, evasions, folly, hatred, and schizophrenia. (George Orwell, more relevant than ever, in "Politics and the English Language")
Wii Number: 7947 2653 6155 9540

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2003, 04:42:06 PM »
MPEG...great highly uncompressed video with not so great quality.

Offline Ace

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2003, 05:30:37 PM »
This is a very serious system, and if nintendo doesn't do something, it could be the 64 all over again.  Ever since the GBA came out devlopers have been trying to put 3d games on the system with decent results.  Nintendo should take this as a sign that companies want portable 3d games.  Developers will go to sony to get the 3d they crave and gamers will go to sony because that's where the games are.  This is the same as it was in 1995-6 when the N64 came out and developers were mad that cartridges didn't have the size capicaty that they wanted to make their games.  For this reason many companies left Nintendo.  While I am nervous about this PSP thing, I think sony made a large mistake when designing this thing.  This was not using cd's and making it backwards compatible with the psOne.  Doing this would surely beat the Game Boy at it's own game.
You say fanboy like it's a bad thing

Offline Nintega

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2003, 05:46:20 PM »
Reading the specs on the PSP, I don't see much concern for Nintendo.  The reason Nintendo has the handheld market cornered is not only because of it's userbase and tons of games dating back to the original gameboy, but also pricing.  I wonder if Sony can get this thing under $100.  I don't see anyone spending $150-200 for a handheld system when they can buy a console at that price.  Although the idea of another handheld does excite me.

Nintendo can easily counter the PSP with the next Gameboy.  It'll be backward compatibles with older Gameboy titles but also be able to read Gamecube discs.  So basically, developers can continue to develop for the Gamecube except it'll be for the next Gameboy system.  This could be the Gamecube SP.

Offline Ace

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2003, 06:10:07 PM »
Good post Nintega, I forgot to mention that in mine.  There are two things besides what I mentioned above that could break the PSP, Battery life and the complexity of 3d games.  Without ample battery life, the PSP will be nothing more than a souped up game gear.  And I know I'm kind of contridicting myself, but what if developers dont want to work with 3d?  Crazy question, but think about it.  The GBA is seen as a budget system and companies can afford to make a GBA game without worrying too much if it fails.  whereas, it means alot more to the developer and publisher if a console game bombs because it cost so much to produce.
You say fanboy like it's a bad thing

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2003, 10:13:57 PM »
If I were Nintendo, I would be worried.  This is Sony for crying out loud.  I don't buy Sony products, but many people do, and part of it is because their products look cool.  Nintendo were smart to release the GBA SP.

Playstation has a huge user base, and while many of them do have a GBA, I see many of them flocking to the PSP.  And I see developers jumping to develop games for the handheld, b/c like I said, PS2 has a huge user base.  And that 1.8GB media disc will be attractive to them.

So this begs the question.  How much will this cost?  How much battery life does it have?  I'm sure Sony is smart and will not make it another Game Gear (and I know since I have one).

And I have to say I hate this.  Why?  Because the reason I like the GBA is to play 2D games.  With the PSP looking like a 3D system, Nintendo will have to make their next Game Boy a 3D system.  I was hoping it would remain a 2D system.  I wish 3D gaming would be left for the home consoles.

Offline deminisma

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2003, 12:42:33 AM »
Let 's wait and see. The end of 2004 is a LONG way away. Remember the PocketStation? Thought not. I think it would be wise for Nintendo to simultaneously release GBA2 and Gamecube2 on the same day, early 2005, come out in full force. Hopefully around a month before Sony.

Offline aoi tsuki

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2003, 01:25:32 AM »
It really comes down to games, because it'll sell on the cool factor alone. i'd expect the price to be around $150. Assuming the PSP plays music (and possibly even video), people will pay more to get more; and Sony's not a brand known to come cheap.

Is battery life even an issue anymore? Unless it has a five hour battery i won't complain. Just drop it on the cradle while you get dinner and you're all set.

Definitely an amazing piece of tech on paper, moreso in some ways than the Helix. i don't think Nintendo should be worried, but they should definitely be watching.

Nintendo can easily counter the PSP with the next Gameboy. It'll be backward compatibles with older Gameboy titles but also be able to read Gamecube discs.

i don't mean to get too off-topic here, but this whole "Nintendo's next portable will play GC games" really irks me. The GC would have to be wildly popular for Nintendo to even consider such a thing. Resizing the display down from 640x480 would be no easy task, nor would shriking a system with a fan and multiple heatsinks into something that fits in your hand without becoming a fire hazard. If Nintendo manages to pull off such a feat of alchemy, i'll buy ten of them.
"Snake felt a hunger for Meryl blossom within his loins."

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2003, 01:36:27 AM »
2.4 inch mini-DVD's that hold 1.8 gb.
That's smaller than a GCN AND holds more space.
*Gamefreak slaps Nintendo and tells them to make at least a 3 gb disc*
*Gamefreak slaps Panasonic too*

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2003, 03:57:24 AM »
Actually GODs, can store more, but the Gamecube only reads the first layer...

Offline egman

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2003, 04:24:53 AM »
AiAi--I'm glad I'm not the only one disappointed about the prospects for 2d in the future. Sony's little announcement has pretty much sealed the fate of 2d gaming as I see it. I love the GBA because it's like a portable SNES/Genesis+. Sprites are just a lot more charming than 3d these days. Advance Wars for instance wipes the floor with most next gen games. A portable PSX or N64 doesn't interest me in the least, but unfortunately you and I are most likely in the minority on this.

Even if the PSP fails, the damage will have already been done.

Offline Dolphin64X

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2003, 05:26:19 AM »
The way I see it, there are still the two most important questions to be answered:

How much will it cost?
and
How long will the batteries last?

I don't see them as getting more couple hours off of any battery with all the features they have.  But if they have a new battery technology, then it will be...(you guessed it) expensive.

The demise of 2d gaming is indeed a sad thing.  I for one would not like to go back to the N64/Playstation days of early 3d.  I mean, if I go back to play N64 games, I feel a compulsion to scream "MY EYES!"  It's low res, blurry, and murky.  The sharp 2d graphics the GameBoy Advance puts out are perfect for portable gaming.  I can't even imagine how hard it will be to see an aliased Playstation game on a portable system.

I really hope this comes to nothing.  The portable market is Nintendo's last bastion of strength, and if they lose it...I fear to think of the consequences.
"This town ain't big enough for the two of us," said one Xbox to the other.

"Heck, if Microsoft packaged that eight-minute playable level as a full game it would rank higher than just about any other Xbox game since the original Halo."
-IGNXBOX

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2003, 06:43:42 AM »
hmmm....i dont know much about electronics and all that, but if nintendo could make their next gameboy play gamecube games, it would be the perfect answer for this.....but say they cant do that, they should change the media to the small disc, just like sony, and also make it backwards compatible with old gameboy games, or maybe make it so u can go online with it....i just dont want to see nintendo lose their spot in the handheld market like they did with the consoles.
A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle is always a vice.

Thomas Paine

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2003, 07:01:56 AM »
Seeing how the proposed release date is more than a year away I don't see the need to get all in a panic.  Nintendo is not stupid, no matter how much some may think they are.  Companies aren't going to stop making games for the GBA in the time between because they will still want to make money.  And Nintendo did say they aren't worried which can be taken two ways, 1: Nintendo honestly doesn't think the PSP poses a threat or 2: Nintendo will release a new GameBoy system to directly challenge the PSP giving their statement of not being worried more substance.

Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2003, 07:39:40 AM »
Sony seems to like to throw irrealistic stats around. Remember, if the processor or GPU get too fast, they need cooling. And power. Lots of power. Lithium Ion at least.

Offline boggy b

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2003, 08:01:09 AM »
The battery IS Li Ion, and will supposedly have a life of around 6 hours when playing DVD QUALITY FMV.

The system will supposedly have power greater than the N64 but lower than the PS2, and that's very good news.

Like I said, if Sony plays its cards right this could be huge. The only thing that irks me slightly is that the screen in 4.5" across. That seems a little big...

Also, why does everyone see this as the end of 2D gaming? As far as I see, this could open the door for even BETTER 2D graphics. Guilty Gear XX on the bus, anyone? FFVI on the way to work? YES PLEASE!