Author Topic: Future Mafia Games  (Read 413483 times)

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
Re: Future Mafia Games
« Reply #1200 on: January 24, 2020, 07:41:26 PM »
Nahhh keep 'em coming, if it works for Ubisoft it must be a solid strategy!

Will this be the inevitable Safe Words/Mafia crossover though....?

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: January 24, 2020, 08:02:43 PM »
Perhaps we should have a couple of months of a break before another game? I think people get burned out on these things if they happen too often.

It's going to be at least three weeks before the next game. Want to give Pokepal the chance to make a post on the NWR homepage about it and he says that by the time it goes through him and Insano, it could be about three weeks for that. You'll have a bit of breather which is good since I'm about to finally launch that Safe Words game anyways.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: January 25, 2020, 01:11:39 AM »
I didn't see any of this before I sent Khushrenada a gamestyle idea. It's non-traditional, but also not nearly as chaotic as the concepts I've laid out in the past. I didn't even realize he was hosting again.

Maybe he'll take a look and utilize it. Maybe not. We'll see...

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: January 25, 2020, 07:38:48 PM »
Nahhh keep 'em coming, if it works for Ubisoft it must be a solid strategy!
I s'pose you didn't play in the one before this, so that makes sense for you.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: January 26, 2020, 09:48:57 AM »
I s'pose you didn't play in the one before this, so that makes sense for you.

True, I guess I haven't hit my Breakpoint yet, but yeah it's understandable if you'd like to Quarantine yourself from the next one.  ;)

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1205 on: January 26, 2020, 05:34:56 PM »
I didn't see any of this before I sent Khushrenada a gamestyle idea. It's non-traditional, but also not nearly as chaotic as the concepts I've laid out in the past. I didn't even realize he was hosting again.

Maybe we should have a separate thread in this board for new gameplay ideas.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1206 on: January 26, 2020, 05:46:42 PM »

Maybe we should have a separate thread in this board for new gameplay ideas.
All for this. If a thread isn't up by the time I get home I'll put one up. I know I could do it from my phone but I may want to add some of my own in the OP.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: January 26, 2020, 06:34:32 PM »
We've just used this thread before for throwing out possible game ideas. I think sometimes a person may have created a thread specifically for an idea in the Funhouse (ShyGuy's outline of a AAA Mafia game comes to mind) but there are plenty of times those were just floated in here. Spak-Spang would often post his ideas in this thread.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1208 on: January 26, 2020, 07:07:10 PM »
That works.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: January 26, 2020, 07:27:52 PM »
Fiiiiiiine.

The game opens with a lengthy prologue.

Saturday morning, Smalltown, USA. A scream is heard. Dr. Doctorstein has just discovered the corpse of one of her oldest friends. Police Chief Copperton lays, dead from a gunshot to the head, gun in hand..

One by one, members of the town head to the station, responding to rumors and innuendo about what's occurred.

*Insert shock of the apparent suicide*

Then, in the discussion, a loud beeping is heard. Dr. Doctorstein turrns and looks under a pile of recent police reports to find a box with an alarm clock wired to it. The alarm beeps once more, and the latch on the box clicks open. Inside is a note. A note that reads...

""If you are reading this, I'm already dead. I only hope my words reach those dearest to me before it's too late. The (Stereotypical name here) family has infiltrated our town. They've been here for years, possibly decades. In investigating the town baker's death last year, I found an emblem (insert drawing of emblem here) that signifies its owner is a member of the ___ family. The baker had lived in our town his entire life, and his father and his father's father before him were bakers. He had this insignia. The ___ family could have been here all along, or perhaps they recruited him after coming to town. That is not important. What is important, is that through investigation, research, and deduction, there are (insert number of mafia members here) left in the town. You must work to find them out and eliminate them! Lynch them one by one if you must! If you found this note, they came for me. And if they know I know, it means they're coming for all of you, too. My only wish is that you care for my wife/partner,  Dr. Doctorstein.) I trust her with all my heart, and you all should too."

A few of the town members seem suspicious. A few call Chief Copperton a kook. Someone suggests he probably was in on the take, himself, and was killed for having a guilty conscious. However, the majority suggests he was just an old man, past his prime, suffering from minor dementia and major depression. Dr. Doctorstein announces she will be investigating the Chief's death, and will convene with the town at 11:00 am tomorrow at town hall, with information and evidence she gathers into the afternoon and evening.

The next day, the town meets at the town hall, which sits in a building that formerly was a bank. Clean, new timers are attached to dusty old safe deposit boxes that sit in the safe, and many townspeople remark about the renovation. 11:00 AM rolls around. Dr. Doctorstein is late. Fifteen minutes pass. Another 15. 11:45 rolls around, and a townsmember is sent to check in on the good doctor.

She's found in her lab with a knife in her back... Except, the lab has ransacked. Everything is in disarray. The doctor assisted the chief with crime-scene analysis, and all the tools she kept are damaged beyond repair. No discernible trace of information is apparent. The people head back to town hall, in silent shock.

They arrive near 2:00pm, and once more, there's beeping. A safe deposit clicks open at 2:00pm on-the dot. Inside, a letter from Dr. Doctorstein.

"To the people of Smalltown, if you're reading this, it's already too late for me. I was able to analyze the gun Chief Copperton held. I used the equipment in the lab and dusted for fingerprints. There were fingerprints. In fact, I found at least a partial print of everyone in town! There's a criminal conspiracy here. That afternoon, it dawned on me... Everyone is a suspect. Anyone could be part of this mafia. I realized I'm in over my head. I thought, 'What would Chief Copperton do?' And then I remembered! The dead man's switch! I spent my evening rigging up the dead man's switch in the old safe deposit boxes from when town hall was a bank. If... you're reading this, I never got the chance to explain, but these boxes might be our only hope. There's one for each member of the town. Each day, I hope you all will start talking to your neighbors. Gathering evidence. Checking and cross-examining for lies. Each day, you'll prepare evidence, and bring it here, to city hall, where you'll punch in a passcode for these boxes attached to a dead man's switch. Each day, you'll update your notes and suspicions. If, god forbid, you're taken out by the mafia the following night, and aren't able to put in the day's code, your box will click open, and your neighbors will have whatever evidence of who or what you were investigating to benefit from. I hope you understand. I'm retiring to my lab to do more research tonight. With luck, I'll have determined who shot Chief Copperton, and no one will ever have to read this letter. But if you're reading this, the neighbor next door is a suspect. You're a suspect. Avenge the chief! Avenge me! And... save yourselves."

--End prologue--

The idea behind the game is that there are no townie roles. The investigator is dead. The doctor is dead. The mafia is in control. With foresight, they prepared the town with everything they need.

Each day, before the end of the day's vote, townies would send in a message marked as their safe deposit box letter. This could contain screenshots of private messages, ramblings, or just about anything he or she thinks is relevant. If the townie ends up dead, the box opens the following day, and the whole town finds what this player suspected.

Additionally, members of the mafia all decide it would be best to store the evidence they are in the mafia in these boxes, as neighbors and townsfolk my demand to search their persons or houses. If they die, the box will open and reveal their identities.

Townies must also end their note, letter, evidence, or whatever they call it by selecting a person they trust the most who's left alive in the game. If a townie is voted out, their trusted person will gain an extra vote the following day. Should this player successfully vote out a mafia member, this player will gain temporary trust of the town, and will be allowed an extra vote the following day, until he or she fails to vote out a mafia member.

Since two players will die a night, usually, there will be two players with two votes each day after the first. However, in a few circumstances, greater than two players will have two votes.

I don't have the time to host a game, answering questions, organizing notes, etc. However, I think this could potentially be a great game that encourages townie involvement. The double-votes will also create opportunity for townies to scrutinize the actions players take. If someone wants to take this idea and run with it after Khushrenada's next mafia, they can. If you want further explanation on a concept, please let me know.

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #1210 on: May 12, 2020, 06:25:48 AM »
I've found that my mafia discord has taken off really well so if anyone wants an invite hit me up. Also as a GM way easier to manage on discord.
Made you look ****.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: September 09, 2021, 06:29:30 PM »
Remember when we used to play Mafia games? Those were good times. Anyone think we'll ever get another one rolling in our lifetimes?
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: September 09, 2021, 07:08:09 PM »
Recently I've been thinking about doing a game, but I haven't had any ideas yet.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: September 10, 2021, 12:42:03 AM »
I also thought about putting up a sign-up thread for a game when Sept. 1st rolled around after Backlaugust. Couldn't really think of a theme.  :-[ Thought about just doing the Metroid theme from last game again because I really liked the roles and abilities set up from that game with the added "capture the Metroid flag" element. Couldn't think of another theme that might fit in smoothly with those elements.

But what the heck? I'll throw up a sign-up thread for another game and see if the demand is actually there. I'm sure I can host something but I may just skip the story and theme part (and it's not like we haven't played games where I skipped on a lot of the story before  :P).
« Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 12:47:57 AM by Khushrenada »

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: September 10, 2021, 01:00:10 PM »
Lets be honest, al of us hosts have either delayed, watered down, or dispensed with the story by the end of games. It is tricky, time consuming, and if you want to do it "right" you are writing this all up in the short window of the night after night actions conclude and the next day begins which is the harder part.

I supposed you could pre-write a clever story and then just fill in the names of the people who are relevant for the current days events but who has time for that?  ;)
My Game Collection

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1215 on: September 10, 2021, 09:48:35 PM »
While I haven't selected a theme yet, I'm actually feeling my creative juices on this start to perk up again and have now realized 5 Mafia themes I could do that haven't been done yet. However, first I want to see if the player participation will be there before giving it too much thought. At the same time, I feel like posting in here my plans and themes for the next few games as to what I'm thinking of doing because I'm starting to feel hyped and want to get other people hyped as well.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: September 12, 2021, 04:53:11 PM »
Share them. I had a few sitting on the back burner as well and would be happy to share what I recall of them to you to flesh out more fully.
My Game Collection

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: September 13, 2021, 02:40:39 AM »
Well, I was thinking about the rules and roles that I did last game with Metroid and was wondering where else I could apply them. I think it could work with a Luigi's Mansion theme. There would be two killers again which would be Luigi and Gooigi or E. Gadd. The mafia would be King Boo and Boo Buddies looking to establish themselves as rulers over the townies or ghosts like greenies, slammers, etc. There are treasures that the killers can pick up to make their vaccuums more powerful or give them more abilities. The only thing I can't quite come up with yet is what might be the flag or the equivalent to a metroid in my Metroid game.

In addition to Luigi's Mansion, I also thought that Mega Man might work with this ruleset with maybe Mega Man and Mega Man X or Zero as the killers. Not sure what the Mafia would be but it could be Dr. Light with Roll and others. Townies would be Robot Masters and Dr. Wily could be a role for the townies. Again, people would have abilities attached to them that Mega Man can get to make him more powerful in the game. Again, I'm just not sure what the flag might be for this theme but maybe I don't need to include that. Much like how Mega Man gets abilities from defeating the other robot masters, I feel this time of theme would work pretty good with the one established in Metroid.

Likewise, I also thought of Pikmin working for this theme. Olimar and Louie as the killers. Emperor Bulblax, Empress Bulblax and a couple others as the mafia with the townies being Pikmin. Olimer and Louie could be trying to get ship parts and treasures which make them more powerful as they use the Pikmin to accomplish this while the mafia is just trying to devour Pikmin and assert their natural dominance. Again can't really think of what might make for a good flag to capture. However, it also occurs to me that perhaps the Pikmin theme might be best used in a different way. Utilizing an idea from BeautifulShy perhaps Olimar and Louie are two Mafias that have to recruit their mafia from the other players and build it up much like you have to build up a Pikmin army. The Killer might just be something like a Grubdog or could still go higher up the food chain with Emperor Bulblax. That seems like it might be a bit more true to the theme of Pikmin.

Harvest Moon is another theme I think hasn't been done. My thinking is to use it more for a traditional Mafia theme but maybe more could be done with it. I was pondering whether it might be an idea to have everyone as a farmer trying to build up their farms for some advantage or abilities but haven't gone further on that concept. I'm kind of leaning towards doing Luigi's Mansion for this game but I might go with Harvest Moon if I just want to do something kind of simpler after not hosting a game for so long and sort of give everyone a game with less things to keep track of as a sort of warm-up if we do start playing more games regularly. I might include a role where a player has to "marry" another player of their choosing within a certain time frame. Then they would both be bonded for the rest of the game to try and add some more Harvest Moon personality into the game.

The other theme I'm thinking of but would likely be the 5th game of the ones I've thought of so far is Xenoblade Chronicles X. I do need to finish playing it for the full story so that I have a better handle with that for what I may do there. When I was going over ideas for themes and thought of this game, I also thought of my never realized Mafia RPG idea and feel maybe they could work with each other as players have an HP number assigned to them that can be lowered via voting or hits. Taking out players can get you money which you can use to buy things like armor or better weapons and maybe even a Mech suit to make you more powerful. However, gotta be careful to think how that could play out since the godfather or killer could possibly become too powerful if they can make a hit and get all the money a player is worth in addition through voting someone out making them too hard for the rest of the players too eliminate. It's kind of why I scrapped the RPG idea but I feel something maybe possible through the XCX theme.

I also introduced an idea years back of a Wii-Make with the idea of revisting past Mafia games and themes and if I were to host a bunch more games then there are a couple I'd like to revisit.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: September 13, 2021, 11:31:28 AM »
Hmmm. It just occurred to me that maybe I should make the flag for the Luigi's Mansion theme the portrait of captured Mario or the portrait making machine.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: October 18, 2021, 11:35:20 AM »
Currently, I have updated the OP to show that I have Mafia 87, 88 and 90 queued up with what I want to do. Not sure about 89 yet. Right now my expectation is that I'll be hosting it also but I'll leave the slot open for now in case anyone gets the urge to host a game.

As well, it should be noted that if any host wants to do a game like I did with Mafia 75 in which I created brand new accounts for all the players so that the game was done sort of blind without knowing who was who that option is open to you as well. I can help you get all that set-up. The bonus is that by having the passwords to all the accounts then the host can go into each one and see what is happening with all the private messages. Ho ho! Behind the scenes drama!

I mention this because I'll probably do another game like that myself at some point if we keep this a regular thing.

Offline MASB

• "The game's afoot, Watson!" "You're standing on mine, Holmes!"
  • Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: October 18, 2021, 11:25:39 PM »
Do you think the next mafia will have a simpler ruleset? I noticed some people mentioning it. The challenge is having enough tweaks to still make it interesting (more interesting than a regular mafia game already is, that is!).

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: October 19, 2021, 02:10:48 AM »
It was rather complicated to follow with all the items and such. I was struggling to follow it all before I had to step away from the game.
My Game Collection

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1222 on: November 22, 2021, 04:28:12 PM »
I would like to take Mafia game slot 89.  It will be a more streamlined idea of the Neighborizer RE Mafia game I hosted.  I may even change some of the format of the game. How days are done and such.  One Game thread for the game.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: January 09, 2022, 12:44:36 AM »
Alright, Mafia crew. So far I have stuck to my original thoughts on the proposed games so far...

Well, I was thinking about the rules and roles that I did last game with Metroid and was wondering where else I could apply them. I think it could work with a Luigi's Mansion theme. There would be two killers again which would be Luigi and Gooigi or E. Gadd. The mafia would be King Boo and Boo Buddies looking to establish themselves as rulers over the townies or ghosts like greenies, slammers, etc. There are treasures that the killers can pick up to make their vaccuums more powerful or give them more abilities. The only thing I can't quite come up with yet is what might be the flag or the equivalent to a metroid in my Metroid game.

Harvest Moon is another theme I think hasn't been done. My thinking is to use it more for a traditional Mafia theme but maybe more could be done with it. I was pondering whether it might be an idea to have everyone as a farmer trying to build up their farms for some advantage or abilities but haven't gone further on that concept. I'm kind of leaning towards doing Luigi's Mansion for this next game but I might go with Harvest Moon if I just want to do something kind of simpler after not hosting a game for so long and sort of give everyone a game with less things to keep track of as a sort of warm-up if we do start playing more games regularly. I might include a role where a player has to "marry" another player of their choosing within a certain time frame. Then they would both be bonded for the rest of the game to try and add some more Harvest Moon personality into the game.

And now we come to Pikmin...

Likewise, I also thought of Pikmin working for this theme. Olimar and Louie as the killers. Emperor Bulblax, Empress Bulblax and a couple others as the mafia with the townies being Pikmin. Olimer and Louie could be trying to get ship parts and treasures which make them more powerful as they use the Pikmin to accomplish this while the mafia is just trying to devour Pikmin and assert their natural dominance. Again can't really think of what might make for a good flag to capture. However, it also occurs to me that perhaps the Pikmin theme might be best used in a different way. Utilizing an idea from BeautifulShy perhaps Olimar and Louie are two Mafias that have to recruit their mafia from the other players and build it up much like you have to build up a Pikmin army. The Killer might just be something like a Grubdog or could still go higher up the food chain with Emperor Bulblax. That seems like it might be a bit more true to the theme of Pikmin.

As you can see, I saw two ways to go with this theme. I've been leaning towards the latter side in which the mafia's recruit other members sort of like how in a game of Pikmin you have to build up and manage your army. I've been leaning that way to do something a bit more different and because player's seemed less enthused with the two killer ruleset in Luigi's Mansion. The problem I'm seeing when thinking about this game is the length of it. Let's say it is a one mafia game. Olimar has the choice to recruit or kill. We spend the first three nights of the game with Olimar recruiting three players and now the Mafia has 4 members. In the meantime, are the townies not voting anyone and just waiting to see how it plays out at first? Is the killer getting in a bunch of early hits (if there is a killer)? That length could double if there are two mafias of Olimar and Louie (or someone else) of waiting for the Mafias to form.

If we allow the mafia to recruit and hit on the same night then that just makes a bigger disadvantage to the townie side since that is like a loss of two townies per night. Meanwhile, they are likely to vote out a townie during the day due to the small size of the mafia at the beginning so I think it has to be the one option per night of recruit or kill.

Of course, I could have the mafia already formed with max members at the start of the game. However, if the mafia loses members in a vote and then just recruits a new member at night then the townies really don't gain any ground and you are just better off hoping to be recruited as a mafia member to in if you are a townie. The idea would be that killing Olimar or Louie would then cause the Mafia to lose the option to recruit new members and the remaining members of that Mafia would then have to play out the game with the numbers they have but if Olimar evades detection for a long time then the game seems tipped highly in favor of the Mafia win and doesn't have proper balance.

I thought I'd talk about the conundrum here to see what other player's thoughts might be on it. There's still the option of doing the two killer, capture the flag type ruleset again but would players be up for trying it again or not? Also, I guess I should start sending out invites again as I'd still like to see double the amount that have signed up so far.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1224 on: January 16, 2022, 08:56:51 PM »
Khushrenada your recruiting idea seems similar to my RE Neighbor game in how I started small with the second Mafia team and then took from other teams and I think there was a flaw in that game.

Have it so that that team can only recruit townies and townie roles and if you try to recruit a member on the other Mafia team you couldn't and it is a wasted recruitment and the next night you could send out a hit on that player but you can't recruit the same night.  This way the recruiting team can either get a normal townie or possibly a townie role who may have been in some form of alliance so the information comes that way. It also is a way so that the other Mafia team can not worry about being recruited but will have to worry about being killed if said player is in too many alliances so there is a balance in how one would play.

That is where the balance comes from.  So it would be possible for all three factions to play as good as they can within their roles.

The other way you can go with this is have a killing mafia and recruiting mafia teams much like stevey's Hotness Mafia and have similar mechanics as the recruited/kidnapped players wither being apart of the recruiting team but not having any active roles just adds to the number of players on the Recruiting Mafia team and gaining information of the whole Recruiting Mafia team. 

If you have a kidnapping mechanic like in steveys game then they are able to have their powers but are able to escape.   Maybe while being kidnapped they can't use their powers but they are able to send out a message to the next day thread if they survive the night in jail and send it by Pikmin to everyone.   Like in that game you have to survive 3 days on 3 dice rolls to escape.   Also if kidnapped they will not gain information on who is in the kidnapping mafia.

There can be fun things happen in the game with the kidnapping mechanic like voting out the player in the jail or the killing Mafia can kill the player in the jail or even the player in jail sending hints on roles which can affect the game in helpful or hindering ways.  Sending false information out.  Deciding not to send a note out but having two messages the 2nd day/night they are kidnapped but risking that they may not be able to survive the night.

Alexis, she/her/Miss