Author Topic: wavebird?  (Read 14017 times)

Offline 02silvercelica

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
wavebird?
« on: February 18, 2003, 12:44:41 PM »
is the wavebird a reliable/good quality controller? i know that most aftermarket controllers always have flaws that interfere w/ the game system/games, is this officially licensed by nintendo?
- 02 liquid silver celica gt -
trd body kit
kenwood kdc-x659 head unit
neons in footwells
apc frosted corners
hyperblink white turn signals
s2000 antenna

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
wavebird?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2003, 12:48:55 PM »
The WaveBird is made by Nintendo, and is the highest-quality wireless controller you can get for the GameCube.  The third-party controllers are crap, by comparison.  I don't use my GameCube without them anymore.
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline Sean

• View Profile
wavebird?
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2003, 12:54:36 PM »
The WaveBird really does change things.  A friend of mine has a child, and he loves, as kids do, attention.  Naturally, when we're all playing TimeSplitters 2, the little tyke likes to run where our eyes are pointed, which is normally where four wires would be dangling dangerously, waiting to bring the whole of his gaming rig down on the poor lad's head.

In short, not only do we NOT have to sit side by side, we can all sit and play without worry of a Nintendo homicide.

I'll never go back to wires.  For the children.  ;-)
"I think that if the devil does not exist,
and man has therefore created him,
he has created him in his own image and likeness."
from Fyodor Dostoevsky's THE BROTHERS KARAMAZOV

Offline 02silvercelica

• View Profile
wavebird?
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2003, 01:27:46 PM »
sounds good. so exactly how far away can you play? could i be, say, 10 yards away and still have a signal?
trd body kit
neons in footwells
apc frosted corners
s2000 antenna

Offline Sean

• View Profile
wavebird?
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2003, 01:32:03 PM »
Reviews when it came out said 100+ feet.  This is believable, of course.  I have an upstairs room where I keep my GameCube, and I went downstairs, through a large living room, and far into our kitchen on the complete opposite side of our house, and it worked fine, according to reports from those who were there.  That was quite a distance.  There is literally no drawback to the controller, unless you don't like the GCN controller, are in mad love with the rumble feature, or hate the very idea of batteries.  Okay, maybe there are drawbacks for some people, but there are none for me.

Offline dalmation10k

• View Profile
wavebird?
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2003, 02:06:09 PM »
The wavebird uses radio frequencies to transmit to the GC.
Before the wavebird, all wireless controllers used infrared, just like a TV remote does. So you had to be in line-of-sight with your console, and pointing right at the damn thing.
With the wavebird you can have a bag of chips, a table or even a freakin brick wall between you and the console, and it will respond just as quickly as if there were a wire connecting the controller and the console.
Don't you want to know how we keep starting fires?

Offline ShockingAlberto

• View Profile
wavebird?
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2003, 02:12:44 PM »
The only flaws are the horrible appearance (needs to be large for the batteries) and the lack of a rumble.  If you enjoy that nice little *shake*, then mayhaps a WB is not for you.

-- ShockingAlberto
Press X to run.

Offline aoi tsuki

• View Profile
wavebird?
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2003, 03:42:52 PM »
When i worked at Gamestop, i bought the Wavebird when it was released and put it in the Gamecube kiosk. i played a friend in Legends of Wrestling while several customers looked on. i continue to play with the Wavebird outside our store, then several stores down, up the escalator and to the third floor, where i got a latte at Starbucks. i was just button mashing, but evidentally i had almost won the match doing it. i don't know the actual distance, but i'd say it was at least 90 feet, maybe even over the 100 foot distance that IGN reported.
"Snake felt a hunger for Meryl blossom within his loins."

Offline Gamer Donkey

• View Profile
wavebird?
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2003, 03:55:19 PM »
To comment on the batteries, I got mine for Christmas and have played it daily and still have no problems with distance or interference. A week ago my buddy took it to his first floor garage and set up an NFS race on his downstairs tv.
"Heh, i just saw a petition somewhere for Halo to come to PS2. Hey look a green donkey!"

-Mario (Just found it interesting...)

The Gaming Donkey has returned.

Offline Sean

• View Profile
wavebird?
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2003, 04:01:54 PM »
I read that a Russian cosmonaut was playing Robotech on his GameCube in Jersey from the moon.  I'm guessing that's 100+ feet.  Could be wrong.

Cuts RIGHT THROUGH those darn solar flares, too!  Good to know Nintendo's big on forward-thinking.

Offline Gamer Donkey

• View Profile
wavebird?
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2003, 04:13:26 PM »
Jeez, Nintendo is modest. It offers on the back of the Wavebird package 20 feet of wireless gameplay.

P.S. Humor noted
"Heh, i just saw a petition somewhere for Halo to come to PS2. Hey look a green donkey!"

-Mario (Just found it interesting...)

The Gaming Donkey has returned.

Offline Calibretto

• View Profile
wavebird?
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2003, 04:23:33 PM »
The Wavebird is excellent. By all means, buy one.  On average, the batteries last for 100 hours of use; so the fact it needs batteries is not very much of a problem or money drain.  As most people have said in the above posts, the thing responds perfectly, and works from much further away than you could possibly still see the tv from.  The only "downside" is the lack of rumble feature (which was removed to extend battery life and keep the size from getting any bigger.) This is a very minor downside; even though rumble feature is cool, after palying with a Wavebird, I bet you won't even miss the rumble feature.
"This makes the master of the Gun-Katas an opponent not to be taken lightly..."

Offline CreedDBZ

• View Profile
wavebird?
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2003, 05:41:42 PM »
The WaveBird is probably the single greatest controller ever.  The way my entertainment center is setup people walk in front of the tv all the time.  I never have issues with wires or people stepping on them and pulling my Cube out of its resting place and onto the ground.  I have had it since its initial release and now I can't play with anything else.  Wires are so restricting its horrible.  Now all we need is a platinum colored one like they got in Japan, that would be hella sweet!!!
The Hunter is among us ...

Offline Odin

• View Profile
wavebird?
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2003, 06:08:12 PM »
The Wavebird is the best controller I've ever held in my hands. I don't know how I ever played without it. No wires, no restrictions. My batteries have lasted a long time, and I play frequently. I've used the Wavebird from about 40 feet away and it works flawlessly. If you can get over the lack of rumble (which I don't even miss anymore), go out and immediately buy this controller.

Yes, it is made by Nintendo.
This has been a post by ODIN.

Offline aoi tsuki

• View Profile
wavebird?
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2003, 06:53:48 PM »
A question for those of you who still have the original batteries. What brand are they? i seem to remember them being Panasonic, but for some reason i also seem to remember them being some uber-generic brand (Power King or something).

Just curious because they really lasted a while for packin batteries.
"Snake felt a hunger for Meryl blossom within his loins."

Offline Odin

• View Profile
wavebird?
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2003, 06:57:54 PM »
Extra Heavy Duty Panasonic.
This has been a post by ODIN.

Offline Jollus

• View Profile
wavebird?
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2003, 04:30:20 PM »
The only problem you will have with batties is when you forget to turn the thing off and not play for a week.  Which I have done twice now.  It is still the best controller I have ever used.  An Auto Off thingy would make it near perfect I think.

I am hoping for a WaveBird 2 to come out.  Maybe with a rechargable battery and rumble.  It could have a base station like a cordless phone does so the battery would never die.  It could be a delux model for people who want the biggest bang for their wireless buck.  A man can dream can't he?  

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
wavebird?
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2003, 05:20:53 AM »

A friend of mine has a child, and he loves, as kids do, attention. Naturally, when we're all playing TimeSplitters 2, the little tyke likes to run where our eyes are pointed, which is normally where four wires would be dangling dangerously, waiting to bring the whole of his gaming rig down on the poor lad's head.

dude, you play timesplitters2 in front of your friend's little kid?  don't ya think think that's a little mature for him?  perhaps you should stick with mario party or something more suitable for his age.  
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Dolphin64X

• View Profile
wavebird?
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2003, 10:26:44 AM »
Jollus, the Wavebird actually shuts off after about five minutes, so no need to worry.
Trust me, Nintendo truly thought of everything with this controller.
"This town ain't big enough for the two of us," said one Xbox to the other.

"Heck, if Microsoft packaged that eight-minute playable level as a full game it would rank higher than just about any other Xbox game since the original Halo."
-IGNXBOX

Offline Jollus

• View Profile
wavebird?
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2003, 06:03:34 PM »

Originally posted by: Dolphin64X
Jollus, the Wavebird actually shuts off after about five minutes, so no need to worry.
Trust me, Nintendo truly thought of everything with this controller.

Then why when I leave the switch on I come back to it hours later and the light is still on?  All I know is that it will kill the battery if you leave it on.  I will take a heck of a long time, but it will happen.  Plus I have never heard anything about the Wavebird having an auto-off function.

Offline yeg0

• View Profile
wavebird?
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2003, 09:56:33 PM »
The 100 feet+ test was done w/ brand new batteries. Twenty feet is for almost any battery level.
-yeg0

"HENSHIN-A-GO-GO, BABY!"

Offline 02silvercelica

• View Profile
wavebird?
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2003, 04:41:20 AM »
wow thanks a lot for your feedback everyone. it seems this is the perfect controller. after all, who really cares about the rumble feature? now i'm trying to decide if i should spend $30 on that or $30 on super smash bros. or $50 for animal crossing or $50 again for super mario sunshine.. decisions decisions...
trd body kit
neons in footwells
apc frosted corners
s2000 antenna

Offline EggyToast

• View Profile
wavebird?
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2003, 08:02:13 AM »
Sounds like you need $160 + tax

And what's wrong with Timesplitters?  There's no blood or anything, and the characters are cartoony.  It's no worse than Looney Toons

Offline Gharakh

• View Profile
wavebird?
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2003, 08:10:56 AM »

I am hoping for a WaveBird 2 to come out. Maybe with a rechargable battery and rumble. It could have a base station like a cordless phone does so the battery would never die. It could be a delux model for people who want the biggest bang for their wireless buck. A man can dream can't he?

yeah that would be cool.  i kinda wish that they had an ac power adapter for the wavebird ala gba. that way you can sit pretty much wherever you like and plug it into the wall and not worry about batteries (then it could have rumble pretty easily too). i think thats a good idea, but it would have to be optional ac power or batteries so u could use either one.  

Offline Sleepyfoo

• View Profile
wavebird?
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2003, 09:53:51 AM »
has anyone noticed that sometimes the wavebirds will just kinda...start skipping about once every 15 minutes? Like, first the wavebird will be fine, then about 15 minutes in it will start like, say your walking in zelda, he will keep stopping then started again in rapid succession.  This seems so annoying to me, because its so bad, and it happens with both my wavebirds.  While the actual "skippage" only does it for about 15 seconds, its really annoying in, say, ssbm, where 15 seconds is a long time.  Are my wavebirds just bad, or what?