Author Topic: Music  (Read 49331 times)

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
RE:Music
« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2007, 04:21:14 AM »
some consider the offspring a punk band, some consider them a pop-punk band. i hate both terms really, i hate any label thrown onto music other than a standard genre which just makes it easier to catogorize and recognize a certain style.

everythings falls into these catagories to me: rock, rap, dance. thats it, because i could care less about stupid labels. im tired of hearing arguments about whether or not a band is punk/pop-punk/hardcore-punk or metal/hardcore metal/speed metal/trash metal/black metal, old-skool rap/crunk/commercial-rap/gangsta-rap, pop/electronica/techno/disco, or hard-rock/classic-rock/indie-rock, or other labels like emo and alternative.

and dont get me started on emo...*

the only time i'll use a label other than the main three is when a style crosses over; ie. goth/industrial can be both dance and rock music.

also

lol the singer for the cure is kinda a spaz

but a spaz that can write amazing lyrics, music and has an incredible voice. his talent with multiple instruments and arrangements is something i look up to

EasyCure has had the most winning post in the thread so far.

i win!

*its not even a form of music its a damn fashion style of skinny guys wearing makeup, girls pants/shirts/ and the most ridiculous haircuts i've ever seen. you're not sensitive for wearing eyeliner and crying it off, you're not dark and mysterious by hiding one of your eyes behind your stupid hair and you're not non-threatening becuase you dress like a 12yo/girl and sing like one too.

learn to be a man, if you want to be a woman just get the operation over and done with. if you want to be a musician learn to play your goddamn instruments and get good singers. im tired of this whiney nasaly screaming. not all emotions are about girls so stop singing about how much your heart hurt when you first got dumped; get over it. grow up.. CUT YOUR LAWN NOT YOUR WRIST. also i dont care if your dad doesnt love you thats no excuse to cut yourself, not that anyone believes you do anyway. grow up.. CUT YOUR LAWN NOT YOUR WRIST.

cutting is a serious problem among youth and i think its flat out vulgar that emo as a trend idealizes such a thing. (and i'm looking at you HIM with your stupid razorblade logos and whatnot. there are more artistic metaphores you can use to express pain)

now, if you're like me you might want to listen to these two songs before your head explodes:
Mindless Self Indulgence  - "You'll Rebel To Anything (As Long As Its Not Challenging)"
MC Lars - "Signing Emo"  
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: Music
« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2007, 05:48:37 AM »
"*its not even a form of music its a damn fashion style of skinny guys wearing makeup, girls pants/shirts/ and the most ridiculous haircuts i've ever seen. you're not sensitive for wearing eyeliner and crying it off, you're not dark and mysterious by hiding one of your eyes behind your stupid hair and you're not non-threatening becuase you dress like a 12yo/girl and sing like one too."

I agree though with emo fashion (and metrosexual fashion as well) becoming quite common a guy like me, who ten years ago would just look routine, starts looking exceptionally manly and tough in comparison.  So I'm all for it.    

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2007, 06:24:51 AM »
i never thought of it that way, you have a great point. i dont have much in the facial hair dept but as long as i have a bit of a shadow i look ultra rugged compared to some of the wimps i see around town. a toast to being manly
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline segagamer12

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2007, 04:55:44 PM »
easy cure you totally win the thread.  
You can call me
THE RAT thank you very much
check out http://www.myspace.com/phatrat1982

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 22, 2007, 07:53:24 PM »

Originally posted by: EasyCure
everythings falls into these catagories to me: rock, rap, dance.

These three labels make a mockery of the bands who decide to blend musical styles and create their own sound, because they get pidgeon-holed along with everyone else. For people who are fans of a given genre, they like to be able to distinguish between styles. Because there is a huge difference.

Example: Sublime (someone else mentioned it in here, bravo sir). Depending on what song you were playing at the time, you could be hearing a hip-hop song (Doin' Time), a reggae song (Boss DJ), a rock song (Santeria), a cover song (Rivers of Babylon) or even a hilarious song about date rape (even though he now takes it in the behind - DATE RAPE )

Considering that they've covered a good two-thirds of your categories, do we invent a fourth, fifth, six, ad infinitum.

Am I hitting my head against the metaphorical wall here or what?

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 22, 2007, 10:24:06 PM »
Has anybody here (except those from the UK) heard of Amy Winehouse?

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 22, 2007, 10:32:30 PM »

Originally posted by: Plugabugz
Has anybody here (except those from the UK) heard of Amy Winehouse?

If that's the person in your avatar, I'd have sworn she was a dude. That face has nothing remotely feminine.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 22, 2007, 10:40:19 PM »
That dude to the left is a woman, fortunately. I still can't tell properly/

Amy Winehouse. She's a british soul artist. Her last album, Back to Black is probably one of the freshest albums i've heard in a long time. The last song on her album she has a song saying she prefers a good smoke/pot to a boyfriend. Absolutely priceless.

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 22, 2007, 10:45:45 PM »

That dude to the left is a woman, fortunately. I still can't tell properly/

Ahahahahaha you sound so damn confident.

The last song on her album she has a song saying she prefers a good smoke/pot to a boyfriend. Absolutely priceless.

Le yawn. People substitute drugs for reality all the time. This is nothing new.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 22, 2007, 10:50:09 PM »
I agree though in principle, one usually supplants the other.

I'll see if i can find a clip somewhere, but it's the fact that the whole album is made  in 60's motown pop (with the modern writing) that does it for me. My brother even likes tracks off the album, which is a feat in itself coz he only likes rap and little else.

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 22, 2007, 11:16:06 PM »

I agree though in principle, one usually supplants the other.

Leave vegetation out of this. I have no idea what you are talking about normally.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 22, 2007, 11:46:04 PM »
Must have been a funny choice of word. errrr. Like you said, drugs replace sex. I agree :P

Offline 18 Days

• ~*LiL AnGeL*~
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 23, 2007, 12:06:45 AM »
I HAVE A HORRIBLE FEELING THIS DISCUSSION WILL LEAD US TOWARDS LILLY ALLEN AND WE CAN'T HAVE THAT!
pietriots.com
Calenture

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 23, 2007, 12:17:09 AM »
You said it first. She's weird.

MORE AMY WINEHOUSE PLEASE.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 23, 2007, 05:29:31 AM »

Originally posted by: Shift Key

Originally posted by: EasyCure
everythings falls into these catagories to me: rock, rap, dance.

These three labels make a mockery of the bands who decide to blend musical styles and create their own sound, because they get pidgeon-holed along with everyone else. For people who are fans of a given genre, they like to be able to distinguish between styles. Because there is a huge difference.

Example: Sublime (someone else mentioned it in here, bravo sir). Depending on what song you were playing at the time, you could be hearing a hip-hop song (Doin' Time), a reggae song (Boss DJ), a rock song (Santeria), a cover song (Rivers of Babylon) or even a hilarious song about date rape (even though he now takes it in the behind - DATE RAPE )

Considering that they've covered a good two-thirds of your categories, do we invent a fourth, fifth, six, ad infinitum.

Am I hitting my head against the metaphorical wall here or what?

well first of all i said TO ME, thats how i catogorize music. i also did mention i do use other labels if a band can cross genres and Sublime is a perfect example (and a band i forgot to keep off my list). Any great band can cross genres and still keep their appeal so i usually stick to what they fundamentally are. Look at the clash, they have songs that fall into the punk, reggea, and even hiphop styles but  they´re still a rock band at heart, even if they branch out (and Sublimes cover of ´HOPE´by the Descendents is a great PUNK cover).

but im not here to argue about labels of music, i just wanted to state how i feel about the situation. i have too many times been subject to idiots who go on and on about ´i hate numetal, its all about death metal, numetal is gayy´ and all i ever want to do is punch someone in the nose for pigeon holding a whole other style of music because they usually base their opinion on the entire genre by one band they might not find to be good. i feel that if the subgenres didnt exist people might be a little more open minded about things, but i might just be a dreamer.

to me if you like rock music, you should be able to be pretty open to all forms of it. same goes for the other categories i listed. i used to listen to only punk rock bands when i was a kid and wrongully so. one day i wised up and checked out some of the influences of all those punkbands i liked or just some of the other artist they would listen to and found a bunch of good music. thats when i learned that labels were stupid and subjective.

now, not to flame Maryjane or anything but if you look at his previous post he got deffensive when someone called Rage Against the Machine (good band but one im not too fond of) a PUNK band.

[Since WhenTF is Rage a punk band? I feel so insulted, I'm currently considering spending over $1000 for a weekend in California to see Rage play in the Coachella festival.

I wouldn't even spend $1 to see a punk band

thats what im talking about. i used to be that way too about numetal bands back when i was like 13. im not trying to insult maryjane because he´s just defending a band he admires and people do get defensive. i just use this as an example of why labels are stupid. the person he was quoting (sorry im not sure who you are) called Rage a punk band and you yourself explained why they are a punk band even though they dont have the punk ¨sound´. to me its just rock. good rock at that.

im pasionate about ´punk rock´ music probably more so than any other but i hate the term punk rock because people usually consider that a particular sound when its not, its an attitude . you yourself explained it before, and very well i might add. Except in your explanation you used The Ramones as an example for their ´General disrespect towards the world¨but did you know Johnny Ramone, one of the founding memebers of the band, is a die hard republican and the only political song they have ever done as a group (bonzo goes to bitzburg) he fought to keep off any album.

By todays standards the Ramones would be a considered a PopPunk band and would be lumped into a catagory with bands like simple plan and good charlotte because of what PopPunk sounds like. To me thats completely unfair to such a great band, but technically they are they just shouldnt be thrown in with bands dont dont mean anything. they wrote catchy songs and wanted to be POPular artists. its what they strived for, they just happened to have a FU attitude and didnt care about it obsesively.

the Ramones are a perfect example of why i just use Rock as a blanket term instead of all those genres because at its heart the ideals of the music are the same as the birth of rock and people viewed it in the same manner= loud, fast, dangerous and kids shouldnt listen to it. the times changed tho and they were the new loud, fast, and dangerous bands. because singing songs about beating up the rich snobby kids in queens and sniffing glue because you´re bored were dangerous at the time. its only rock n roll (and yes, i like it)

ps. dude your avatar scares me

Offline segagamer12

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 23, 2007, 06:09:08 AM »
its like wtih techno music, purists will argue that there is electronica, house, trance, techno,dance, electro-pop, and some other names i forgot. but for me its all techno. rock is a litle different, I can distingishe hard rock from soft rock and metal from regluar rock, but beyond that I tend to get confused.

I like some bands that are called ska by some and punk by others. I liked the bosstones a few years back cuz my brother in law was into them and I liked  some songs and then I also like No Doubt a lot and I have had people argue if they are rock, ska or punk, I prefer to call them rock but ska seams to fit but I am nto a huge fan of the name so I tend to lean towards rock. i was also under the impression sublime wa ska as well, or at least thats how they get labeled around here.

Hip-Hop, Rap, Electric Funk, Boogaloo, Old Shcool Rap, those are all interchangable. Old Shcool is not a defitnate term, some people call 2Pac old school cuz he isnt new, but there was 20 years of rap music before 2pac came around so he isnt old-old school.  To me and my friends old school means 80's and older, the 90s had distinct sounds, you had mainstream rap and you had G-Funk and you had underound. Udnerground just means non-mainstream. eventually most underground went mainstream so its harder to distinguish.

For simplification you can calla  band by its main category and then only refer to its sub genres when specifically talking to fans of said genre. That seams to work best for me, like if I am describing a punk type band to osmeone who lieks punk Id say, "they are a rock band that sounds kinda punkish to me." Then let them decide for themselves.

I used to like sublime until i met a friend who was just like the girl in the wrong way and then I began to despise that song. Now I can't listen to them at all cuz I always think of that.

Plus I have stopped listening to a lot of what I would call worldy music, which is why I dont listen to any rap or hard rock anymore. or not like I used to.

You can call me

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 23, 2007, 06:32:54 AM »
I think subgenres exists just because it's hard to describe sound and when you take something like rock there are so many rock bands that sound very different from each other.  Buddy Holly is rock.  So is Iron Maiden.  But they sound very different and a fan of one might not like the other.  So we seperate those two rock acts into seperate sub-genres to let people who aren't familiar with the two acts know that there's a difference.  Organizing groups into sub-genres also makes it easy to recommend similar sounding artists.  When I discover a band I like to know what other acts are grouped in the same style or scene to expand my horizons.  For example if we didn't categorize certain bands from the late 70s as "punk" then I wouldn't have heard of The Jam or the Buzzcocks.  I knew about the Clash and the Ramones and the Sex Pistols but not much else and having a sub-genre allowed me to expand to other similar bands.

I think the problem is just when people completely shut out a sub-genre because of prejudice or a bad experience with one of the crappier bands of the sub-genre.  I don't really like prog rock.  I hate Pink Floyd, Yes and Rush like you wouldn't believe.  But I really like Peter Gabriel era Genesis.  I've been able to get into a band in a sub-genre I don't normally seem to like.  I don't really like rap and country but there are country songs and rap songs I like.  The problem is really just an open-mindedness problem.  It takes little effort to hear a song so at the very least don't shut out a band until you've heard some of their stuff.

Oh and I forget to mention that Bonzo Goes to Bitzburg is a great song.  I don't even care about the message behind the lyrics.  The melody is just so damn catchy.

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 23, 2007, 11:13:16 AM »
I got annoyed when RATM was called a punk band because I hate punk. Not the music, but the i don't know what you call it, but because it's popular everyone likes it you know? Like when Reggaeton was big, it was popular so everybody liked it, now that's Punk Rock to me... Which is why I called We Are Scientists punk, because they have that kind of flow to them of other bands that I consider punk, and don't like, Scientists aren't bad, but I just felt like I was hearing songs I already heard like for the past 5 years... I like originality like TOOL I've never really heard anyone else like them, I've heard people compare them to other bands, but I never hear it, I think it's just the way I listen to music, before anything I just listen for the way that the vocals blend with the instrumentals, ignoring the lyrics, not paying too much attention any particular instrument, trying to take it all in pure before any analyzing goes on. And for me there is no other band that I get that really indescribably raw vibe from, I just get lost in the stories and have the rhythms carry my thoughts. Yeah I'm listening to 10,000 Days right now I did buy the CD, but they were protected .wma files, and I couldn't edit them, so I used a simple converter to make them .mp3's and then used Audacity (love the program) to combine Wings for Marie (pt.1) and 10,000 Days (Wings for Marie pt. 2) that's how it's written on the CD which has 3D goggles attached to it, which I think is why it won a Grammy  
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 23, 2007, 04:37:19 PM »
The Clash - They are the only band that matters, after all.
Wilco - I am always in love with you, Jeff Tweedy.
Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers for the effing WIN!
The Ramones - Chewin' out a rhythm on my bubblegum.
White Stripes - I really think all their albums have gotten better with each release.
Against Me! - When it came time to throw bricks through that Starbucks window, you left me all alone...

Offline segagamer12

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 23, 2007, 07:56:12 PM »
Ian, did you like the song nelly did wtih tim Mcgraw? Thats a good example of exatly what you were saying, I hate country, the closest thing to country I listen to is Sheryl Crow 9and not that song she did with kid rock either) and a couple songs by garth Brooks, and I can't stand nelly, hes the worst excuse of a rapper there ever was.  But I set aside both predjudices when I heard that song, I like it despite hating both artists involved.

with rock it is harder to narrow down, see for me I dont particulary like guitars, but there are songs that I do like that have guitars. I can't explain it. but when it comes to sub genres well I get confused over certain ones because, to me Green Day sounds very much Punk and so does offspring and to some extent no doubt. But I only like two out of those three bands and one isn't even categorised as punk. its the same with green Day, I hate those losers so many ways it aint funny, especcialy thier newer stuff (GD was the band I was disisng on my song I linked to a couple months back) But I really like good riddance, always have always will its a good song. so its like you can hate aguy but still like a song he did. Also you can hate a type of music but still enjoy a song or two from that style.

To be honest guys I sorta expected more Nintendo fans to be into Techno for some reason. I guess I figured gamers are supposed to like tehcno cuz its game music. at least thats what got me into it so much.

But then again My favorite song of all time is by Helen reddy so what do I know.  
You can call me

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 24, 2007, 05:24:38 AM »

Originally posted by: MaryJane
I got annoyed when RATM was called a punk band because I hate punk. Not the music, but the i don't know what you call it, but because it's popular everyone likes it you know? Like when Reggaeton was big, it was popular so everybody liked it, now that's Punk Rock to me...

i know, i feel ya. i dislike reggaeton too and its everywhere where i live. there are even dedicated stations to it now. there are no more rock stations in ny because everything is spanish music (ie salsa etc), rap, 'pop' which doesnt play any good rock songs, and spanish rap stations (ie your normal hip hop with reggaeton thrown in) as well as dedicated reggaeton stations. the fact that its saturated into every little thing makes me dislike it even more, so i know exactly how you feel.

except the bands that you're considering punk that are so popular that you cant stand it aren't really punk bands becuase a true punk band has never been so popular and mainstream. the few times i listen to the radio or watch music television i never hear a punk band. i do however hear alot of Emo bands or "melodic hardcore bands" (that title alone could set me off an another long rant, its the stupidest thing i've ever heard...) like my chemical romance, the used, aiden, etc. none of those are punk bands by any definition of the word (ie sound of music, attitude, political stances) but i know alooot of people (especially fans of metal i've noticed) call them a punk band because they've never really heard what a punk band does soundlike, and how varied the sound really is.

listen to London Calling (the clash), Damaged (black flag), Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegatables (Dead Kennedys), End of the Century (Ramones), Milo Goes to Colledge (Descendents), Mommys Little Monster (Social Distortion) just to name a few and listen to how different they all sound from eachother. hell the london calling album alone has tracks that all sound different from eachother as well as the earlier stuff the clash has done. and these are just albums from the early 80s.

i just hate people mislabeling a band because im passionate about the kind of music i listen to. thats why i get mad when a band like MCR gets called a punk band, cuz their not. its like labeling metallica a hair metal band becuase they started off in the 80s. believe it or not i've heard dumb people that dont know anything about music actually say such blasphemy. hell i worked at a hot topic for 2 years, i actually heard young teenagers swear to me on their mothers lives that St. Anger was metallicas first album and that those old guys were a NEW band.... things like that piss me the hell off. i mean they reeally piss me off.

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 24, 2007, 11:38:05 AM »

Originally posted by: segagamer12
I guess I figured gamers are supposed to like tehcno cuz its game music. at least thats what got me into it so much.

whut?

Offline segagamer12

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 24, 2007, 08:00:43 PM »
well most video games have techno sounding soundtracks. mostly because thier music is made using synthesizers and keyboards and is what inspired a lot of the techno music out today. I always assumed gamers liked techno cuz thats what got me into it. sorta.  
You can call me

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 24, 2007, 10:57:31 PM »

Originally posted by: segagamer12
well most video games have techno sounding soundtracks. mostly because thier music is made using synthesizers and keyboards and is what inspired a lot of the techno music out today. I always assumed gamers liked techno cuz thats what got me into it. sorta.

Well, I'd say it was more to do with the limitations on audio hardware (memory space and simplistic audio decoding) back in the day that produced music that sounded like techno, not that they intended to produce techno music from the start. But I do not like techno at all so I may have a skewed perspective on things.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 25, 2007, 03:01:56 AM »
I love Sonic and Mario music for the incredible compositional quality not the fact they are electronic.