Author Topic: 2-3 times powerful  (Read 39961 times)

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
RE: 2-3 times powerful
« Reply #175 on: September 30, 2007, 06:43:02 PM »
It's interesting, you read some developer interviews and they talk about how they originally had more waggle and took it out of their game. I think traditional games that make light of use motion controls have turned out fairly well control-wise.  

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: September 30, 2007, 08:02:35 PM »
I agree, I think that relying too much on motions in a more traditional game can kill it. I remember seeing a developer interview in which
the developer said that Nintendo had told them to not force motion control and only use it where it works. I think that's great advice, and
it's great that Nintendo realizes that it doesn't work for everything. Their games so far (at least Strikers and Metroid) have shown that it's
the way to go. Metroid using the nunchuk motion for grappling is something that could easily be done with a button, but it being done with
the motion pulls you into the game and makes it one of my favorite parts of the game. The same goes for the hard hits in Strikers and
sword slashing in Twilight Princess, the Wiimote shake gets the adrenaline pumping in the heat of the battle way more than any button
pressing ever could.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 01, 2007, 12:52:52 AM »
You do feel like you're in the game more with the motion controls.... that said, it should be used sparingly. The average gamer has weak arm strength, and their muscles will be strained by too much of that waggling.  
is your sanity...

Offline jakeOSX

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE:2-3 times powerful
« Reply #178 on: October 01, 2007, 02:50:07 AM »

Originally posted by: Chozo Ghost
You do feel like you're in the game more with the motion controls.... that said, it should be used sparingly. The average gamer has weak arm strength, and their muscles will be strained by too much of that waggling.

i see this kind of statement a lot. so i am not singling you out when i start this rant...

but how the hell are you people playing?

with the wii and having my two hand separated from each other (instead of linked like the traditional controller) i have become even more slack in how i play games. i can lean back on the couch or gaming chair, wrists on my knees and play most every game i have.

now don't get me wrong, i'll stand up and jump around the room during some mario strikers, but that is different.

you don't have to hold your arm out straight and make big grand motions. yes we do it for sports because it makes the game fun, but you don't have to. in fact, esp. for FPS games, the small wrist motions are much better for control.

Offline jasonditz

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 01, 2007, 05:21:24 AM »
I don't know about you guys, but I can't even get the online version of Madden to register a kick half the time unless I swing my arm 90 degrees. Even then if its a slow-motion game winning kick half the time it won't register and I'll have to do it faster.

I used to be able to sit and play NCAA 2003 for the GC for 5-6 hours at a time, after about 45 minutes of Madden my wrist starts getting sore.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: October 01, 2007, 04:50:17 PM »
That's a software problem then..

I agree totally with jake - I can go hours playing e.g. Zelda without feeling any pain in my wrist or arm.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline jasonditz

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 02, 2007, 07:51:15 AM »
I'm just starting to get tired of the "PS2 port with motion control" premise that a lot of third parties seem to follow, that said I've loved some of those games, I'd just like to see more:

1. Original RPGs that don't feel the need to tack on a bazillion gestures to fit in with the wii library
2. Games that take the motion control idea to do something that wasn't possible before.

Of course, then I go out and buy Marvel Ultimate Alliance and NBA Live 08 today, so I guess I'm kind of a hypocrite too

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 02, 2007, 09:32:50 AM »

Originally posted by: jasonditz
1. Original RPGs that don't feel the need to tack on a bazillion gestures to fit in with the wii library
2. Games that take the motion control idea to do something that wasn't possible before.

So you want, at the same time, more motion control AND less huh?

... but I agree with you. I want to see some straightforward RPGs for the Wii. They don't need to be anything special, just there. The Wii userbase will take care of the rest.

Besides, the simple IR functionality is a HUGE control improvement, and if there were games that ONLY used that new feature of the Wii, like some DS games only use one or two features of the DS, then that'd still be amazing, maybe even better because of the focused experience. Metroid Prime 3 showed us what a restrained and controlled approach to motion controls can achieve.

At the same time, I'm loving this idea of a high guard and low guard thing that No More Heroes is implementing. There are ways to abstract experiences and controls with the wiimote that haven't begun to be explored yet!
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.