Author Topic: Nintendo & BestBuy set up Wifi SpotPass Stations  (Read 3684 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Nintendo & BestBuy set up Wifi SpotPass Stations
« on: May 17, 2011, 01:31:16 PM »
http://press.nintendo.com/articles.jsp?id=29057

Quote from: Press Release
NINTENDO AND BEST BUY TO BRING CUSTOM DOWNLOADABLE CONTENT TO NINTENDO 3DS OWNERS

Nintendo 3DS will Connect Automatically to Best Buy Wireless Hot Spots

REDMOND, Wash., and MINNEAPOLIS, May 17, 2011 - Nintendo and retail partner Best Buy are collaborating to give Nintendo 3DS™ owners customized, automatic wireless access at some 1,000 select Best Buy store locations nationwide beginning June 7. Once connected, the service will provide access to a variety of fun content via the system's built-in Wi-Fi functionality, including the new SpotPass™ feature. The Best Buy service will also include exclusive offers as well as additional entertainment content such as gaming extras and movie trailers. Nintendo 3DS, which lets people see 3D visuals without the need for special glasses, launched March 27 at a suggested retail price of $249.99.

"Nintendo 3DS turns the page in portable gaming not just because of the stunning, glasses-free 3D visuals, but also in the way it keeps people connected to their friends, their games and their world," said Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime. "Best Buy provides a firsthand look at the platform with experts to help people understand everything it offers."

"We want our customers to fully tap into the potential of their Nintendo 3DS device, so we're pleased to offer free access to special Wi-Fi and SpotPass content in-store," said Chris Homeister, senior vice president of entertainment for Best Buy. "As a retail partner for SpotPass, this is another way that we're delivering best-in-class gaming experiences at our stores across the country."

Remember that Nintendo 3DS features parental controls that let adults manage the content their children can access. For more information about this and other features, visit http://www.nintendo3ds.com.

Now all you 3DS owners out there have one more reason to carry your 3DS out of the house with you.
And I'm sure it's no coincidence that it all happens the same day as the Nintendo E3 Conference and hours after the big 3DS Update. So after the conference, everyone with a 3DS will probably be able to go down to a Best Buy and see all the game & movie trailers, and possibly maybe even try out some playable demos if Nintendo wants to go all out and keep E3 Hype Train rolling.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 01:37:48 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo & BestBuy set up Wifi SpotPass Stations
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 01:43:37 PM »
Wait.... Does this mean I can't StreetPass at Best Buy.... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!
I thought it be a better place for that.

Hopefully the content will make up for it.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 01:46:46 PM »
You'll be able to SteetPass with all the other 3DS owners going to Bestbuy to SpotPass for exclusive content.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 01:53:06 PM »
Dumb question - why do I have to drive an hour to Best Buy to download content onto my internet enabled 3DS when my at-home internet connection works pretty darn good.  And doesn't require me to drive an hour with gas at $4/gal?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 02:00:02 PM »
Dumb question - why do I have to drive an hour to Best Buy to download content onto my internet enabled 3DS when my at-home internet connection works pretty darn good.  And doesn't require me to drive an hour with gas at $4/gal?
Same reason you have to do the same thing for a Nook with  Barnes and Noble.  You can't by games at home, though you can buy books on your nook so I guess the parrallel isn't really that great.
You'll be able to SteetPass with all the other 3DS owners going to Bestbuy to SpotPass for exclusive content.
Everything I've read so far says that you can't StreetPass and be connected to the Internet at the same time.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2011, 04:29:32 PM »

Probably because Best Buy is sponsoring/paying for exclusive content. It also is beneficial for Best Buy since someone will be more likely to buy stuff when they go to Best Buy for the exclusive content.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline rad.i.kal

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
    • Scribble People
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 08:14:36 PM »
my best buy isn't even 10 mins from here. They have not enabled it as of last weekend.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2011, 10:00:05 PM »
Nintendo and retail partner Best Buy are collaborating to give Nintendo 3DS™ owners customized, automatic wireless access at some 1,000 select Best Buy store locations nationwide beginning June 7.

Offline rad.i.kal

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
    • Scribble People
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2011, 04:39:14 PM »
Nintendo and retail partner Best Buy are collaborating to give Nintendo 3DS™ owners customized, automatic wireless access at some 1,000 select Best Buy store locations nationwide beginning June 7.

sorry the reason i say this is because some are reporting that you can download the best buy channel from time to time