Author Topic: What's going to be packed in with the Wii U?  (Read 15307 times)

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
What's going to be packed in with the Wii U?
« on: June 10, 2012, 01:01:55 AM »
Nintendo gave us plenty of extra goodies with the Wii and the DS, what is going to come packed in with the Wii U?

Some ideas:
  • HDMI Cable
  • SD Card
  • Wii U Game Pad Stand
  • Wii U Console vertical stand
  • Wii Motion Plus Remote
  • Wii U Controller Pro
  • Extra Stylus
  • Demo Disc
  • NintendoLand on internal storage or disc
  • Wii U Panorama on internal storage or disc
  • Face Raiders equivalent mini game
  • AR Cards
  • NFC Figurine or Trinket
  • Bird Demo on internal storage or disc

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
Re: What's going to packed in with the Wii U?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 01:06:02 AM »
I foresee there being a download code or something similar for a free game (of Nintendo's picking) to get people to connect their Wii online.  It worked quite well for the 3DS. :D

HDMI cord would be a surprise to me.

I don't see them packing in the Pro Controller... though I'd trade off a packed-in Wii Remote for one any day.

In fact, I'd *love* to see Nintendo offer a mail-in program for folks to mail in their old Wii Remotes for a Wii Remote Plus.

I'm thinking Wii Remote + $10 gets you a Wii Remote Plus.  Wii Remote + Motion Plus attachment gets you a free Wii Remote Plus.

Too much to ask, I'm sure.

Not that it matters much, I wouldn't send in my old Wii Remotes.  Though it might be funny to send in my Wii TV remote and see what I get back. ;)
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
Re: What's going to be packed in with the Wii U?
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 01:06:25 AM »
Instruction manual would be a safe bet. :P:
is your sanity...

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 01:19:05 AM »
I doubt there will be an HDMI cable. No matter how dirt cheap they are these days, it's still cheaper to pack in composites like both Sony and Microsoft did this generation.

I've gone on the record (although it may have been on the livestream which was not technically recorded) that I'm convinced the thing will be $350, with Nintendo Land and a Wii Remote Plus packed in. A free download code's also a great call by UncleBob, as that would be incentive for people to connect to the internet and check out the eShop. One of the people at the Nintendo booth told me there will be a Wii U Gamepad charging cradle similar to the 3DS one, and I'd expect that to be there too.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 01:41:28 AM »
I would rather there be an option between a Wii Remote plus pack in or a Pro Controller.  I have 4 Wiimotes. I don't need another one.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 01:45:34 AM »
I think that's part of the reason they'll do the Remote+. They'd just be throwing that in there to try and justify that price, plus the fact that some parts of Nintendo Land require it (Zelda, at least, wouldn't work with the Pro), and they'd be more likely to sell you a Pro in addition to that as opposed to yet another remote. They'd be banking on the fact that a lot of people already have all the remotes they need, but want the new Pro controller.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Tamazoid

• Score: -5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2012, 01:49:41 AM »
Non Specific Action Figure will be a pack in.

I doubt there will be a vertical stand. I'm pretty sure Miyamoto said they are marketing it as a horizontal standing console so it differs to the Wii.
Follow me on Twitter
Or join in at the castle

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2012, 02:12:59 AM »
I doubt there will be an HDMI cable.

Well, I have no idea what Nintendo will do, but since HD is supposed to be a major selling point of the system I think it would be wise for them to toss in a $5 HDMI cable to help get that ball rolling. If they only include a composite cable that will be what a lot of consumers will end up using by default, and they won't as much of a pronounced difference in the graphics from the Wii they already have. I think including an HDMI cable is essential, and as you said they are dirt cheap these days, so there is probably only trivial difference in cost between that and a composite cable.

The PS360 may not include HDMI cables, but bear in mind that they came out way back at a time when such things were very expensive and not well adopted as they are now. Times have changed and it now makes sense for this to be included. But I wouldn't be surprised if you are right and Nintendo doesn't include it, considering how backwards they can be about embracing current industry standards. I'm just saying this is what I think they should do, but not necessarily what is going to happen.
is your sanity...

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2012, 02:18:23 AM »
It's safer to include the composite cable since its more pervasive. Including an HDMI cable would be nice I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2012, 02:21:49 AM »
Another possibility is they could just include both.
is your sanity...

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2012, 02:23:53 AM »
That's what I meant. They're definitely going to include composite cables. Including both is a possibility; just not a terribly likely one. I wouldn't hold my breath.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2012, 02:23:58 AM »
HDMI cables are cheaper than that ($5). I think Nintendo will pleasantly surprise us with one. The Wii U is an HD system and only having a composite cable is going to cause casuals to miss that message. Component cables are nice and should be included (like how the 360 has on that's both).

I think Nintendo Land may be the free downloadable with a code, if it's not pre-intstalled. That bird demo and the panorama view might just be free in the eShop to download and enjoy, if not pre-installed themselves.

I don't think an SD card is neccessary with 8 Gigs of storage. WM+s are unnecessary, since most Wii U owners should already have a few. But, a charging dock is a must. Hopefully it'll be something that you can also prop up to use for video chat.

A charging dock is also a must.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2012, 02:29:53 AM »
I doubt there will be an HDMI cable.

Well, I have no idea what Nintendo will do, but since HD is supposed to be a major selling point of the system I think it would be wise for them to toss in a $5 HDMI cable to help get that ball rolling. If they only include a composite cable that will be what a lot of consumers will end up using by default, and they won't as much of a pronounced difference in the graphics from the Wii they already have. I think including an HDMI cable is essential, and as you said they are dirt cheap these days, so there is probably only trivial difference in cost between that and a composite cable.

The PS360 may not include HDMI cables, but bear in mind that they came out way back at a time when such things were very expensive and not well adopted as they are now. Times have changed and it now makes sense for this to be included. But I wouldn't be surprised if you are right and Nintendo doesn't include it, considering how backwards they can be about embracing current industry standards. I'm just saying this is what I think they should do, but not necessarily what is going to happen.

HD was a major selling point of the PS3 and 360, probably more so than it is with the Wii U. They can't not include a composite cable, so they'd have to do both if they were going to throw an HDMI in there. The people who care that much about HD graphics will know that composite isn't good enough, unless they're also playing their other consoles with composites, in which case it doesn't matter.

Also, nickmitch, Nintendo Land as the free eShop game sounds good at first, but it's probably very large in terms of file size, and really should be in the box, whether pre-installed or on a disc. However, a lot of people, including myself, have suggested they expand Nintendo Land with DLC, and they could give the first game or two of it away with a download code in the box.

J.P. Corbran

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2012, 02:33:50 AM »
That's true. I hadn't considered the file size at all. Something does have to be there to drive casuals to the eShop, and I think Nintendo Land DLC on day one doesn't send the right message and should really be handled in game (at least linked directly to the eShop page). Something has to make you turn on your Wii U and then immediately click on the eShop and start navigating through the menus.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2012, 03:06:54 AM »
Broken promises and lies.
Gouge away.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2012, 04:17:19 AM »
What if the included a little Mario Statue with a NFC chip in his base? Then when Skylanders comes out, the Wii U version has an exclusive Mario Skylander.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2012, 10:18:00 PM »
I doubt there will be an HDMI cable. No matter how dirt cheap they are these days, it's still cheaper to pack in composites like both Sony and Microsoft did this generation.

I could see them doing a component cable. When I bought my Xbox 360, it came with a composite/component cable.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2012, 10:52:35 PM »
I think you're forgeting one of Nintendo's favorite pack-ins in recent times: wrist straps! Two-of them!
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Eman55

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2012, 11:11:33 PM »
I don't know if they announced this already, but I think it would be great for the Gamepad screen to be able to display movie information and other information to use with Netflix and Hulu+

Also an NFC card or figure which contains one's Mii and other information such as gameplay records and levelled up characters to use in certain games and to be able to communicate and beam this information to a friend's Wii U.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 11:26:23 PM by Eman55 »

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2012, 11:43:35 PM »
I don't know if they announced this already, but I think it would be great for the Gamepad screen to be able to display movie information and other information to use with Netflix and Hulu+

I actually think a spanish language site has confirmed that, at least for Netflix. And of course viewing Netflix movies on the GamePad.

Offline VariantX7

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2012, 12:03:17 AM »
I'm thinking they may have to have something packed in, even if its not Nintendoland.  Nintendo is responsible for the expectation  that if you buy a Nintendo console system, there's gonna be something for you to do out of the box.  At the very least, some sort of software trial or pre-loaded demos.

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2012, 10:44:04 PM »
One hair from the head of Satoru Iwata*

*Hair may actually be from Mori Yoshihiro
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2012, 11:31:34 PM »
One hair from the head of Satoru Iwata*

This should be a Club Nintendo reward for something like 10,000 coins. We could all chip in and get one for Uncle Bob.

Offline rlse9

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2012, 04:28:55 PM »
What if the included a little Mario Statue with a NFC chip in his base? Then when Skylanders comes out, the Wii U version has an exclusive Mario Skylander.
What if they included a Mario statue which when combined with New Super Mario Bros U unlocked a NSMB style version of the first level of the original Super Mario Bros?

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2012, 04:33:07 PM »
What if they included a Mario statue which when combined with New Super Mario Bros U unlocked a NSMB style version of the first level of the original Super Mario Bros?

Sold.