Author Topic: Super Zombi U, I'm freely warming up to it  (Read 86502 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: Zombi U, I'm warming up to it
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2012, 01:09:27 AM »
This was the first game I stood in line for today.i sucked at dual analog controls.. Too used to pointer controls, umote usage was solid, graphics were pretty good and a sense of panic is had when you are trying to get ammo out of you inventory and then aim at the zombie all before he can jump on you and bite you...all the while having a perfect view of the zombie coming at you.

And then if you get bit and die, the next person to party can come back and kill the zombie you and lot the corpse for the stuff you had. It was pretty nice.

Also the controller is light and comfortable.

OMG, I just reread my post.... that is why I don't post from my phone often.
swype + auto correct + buggy Droid X = gibberish

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2012, 01:21:01 AM »
im really interested in this game, though i have to say

it seems like its on the fast track, which can be good and bad. PS3 is getting the Last of Us which visually is loads better and has a similar setting. The problem is this is on a supposedly better system. Still Retro's game better look fan fucking amazingtastic. The last of us uses the Havok engine though, which is on Wii U, and according to the makers of the havok engine the wii u can do more than other consoles.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 01:26:02 AM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2012, 01:32:36 AM »
As far as The Last of Us goes, that's Naughty Dog. They, more than anyone, know how to get the absolute most out of the PS3 hardware. If Ubisoft were making that game it wouldn't look nearly as good. The Wii U is a more powerful system, but it's new, and developers don't know all its tricks yet.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2012, 02:05:57 AM »
idk where people keep talking about these "tricks", but i always thought the Assassin Creed games always looked spectacular, and so does Mass Effect, so its not so much about getting out tricks, its more like doing this and doing that. Im sure those games will look spectacular on Wii U, they just arent exclusive, so despite looking amazing they don't have that going for them. Still i could see buying them of course.  Different Ubisoft team though

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2012, 02:15:53 AM »
The more accustomed to a piece of hardware and the more time you've spent working with it, the more you'll be able to get out of it. That's the reason launch games don't look as good as the last games that come out for a system (Rogue Leader notwithstanding). Naughty Dog knows the PS3 better than anyone, and far better than anyone knows the Wii U at this early point.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2012, 02:19:12 AM »
The more accustomed to a piece of hardware and the more time you've spent working with it, the more you'll be able to get out of it.

In the case of the PS3, the multiplatform games it does get were built on the 360 and they just get the ports of that. Developers don't care about learning every nuance of the PS3 and mastering them fully. They take the 360 game they've made, shoehorn it into the PS3 until it works, and call it a day.

The reason why Naughty Dog utilizes the PS3 to its fullest isn't that they know the hardware better per se, its because their games are built for the PS3 from the ground up and aren't 360 ports.
is your sanity...

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2012, 02:59:36 AM »
Basically, although Naughty Dog knowing the hardware better is a significant part of it. It's the same reason Nintendo's Wii games look way better than most third party games on the system: their teams know the hardware better and build their games around it.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2012, 03:16:29 AM »
Which is my main argument against all games going multi-platform. Sexier looking games.

Offline Eman55

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2012, 02:08:59 PM »
I have never played much survival horror games, however, this looks like one of the better launch titles and makes good use of the GamePad.

Online Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2012, 04:46:56 PM »
Basically, although Naughty Dog knowing the hardware better is a significant part of it. It's the same reason Nintendo's Wii games look way better than most third party games on the system: their teams know the hardware better and build their games around it.
This is very true. Nintendo's ability to stun and innovate graphically with the dated Wii hardware was awesome. Galaxy 1 and 2, and Skyward Sword were great examples of this. Also, quite a few third party games achieved this as well. Which is why, in retrospect, the Wii wasn't that bad.

But with all the support Ubisoft is giving Wii U, it's probable that they're going to get to know how to use the hardware very well. Which is awesome.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2012, 02:24:25 AM »
oh yeah Mario Galaxy looks great, i had forgot about that. I wonder how scalable that engine is? As in being scaled up?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2012, 10:31:15 PM »
oh yeah Mario Galaxy looks great, i had forgot about that. I wonder how scalable that engine is? As in being scaled up?

Well, considering it's likely based on the SuperMario64 engine, I'm going to say pretty damn scalable with some tweaking for feature sets.

Online Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2012, 11:07:39 PM »
Well, considering it's likely based on the SuperMario64 engine, I'm going to say pretty damn scalable with some tweaking for feature sets.
I wonder if it really is largely based on the 64 engine. I'd be quite impressed if it was- I mean, 64 had great physics and all, but if they kept persistent with that engine up until now... come to think of it, I've never really felt like the control in Sunshine or Galaxy or were much different from 64...

Off-topic (but what isn't? This threads about Zombi U), I enjoy how pretty much all Wii U discussion bleeds into every topic on this board.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 11:09:52 PM by Evan_B »

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2012, 01:32:11 AM »
id highly doubt SMG was using the mario 64 engine, they are on totally different hardware. The n64 is so primative im sure all the code would have to be entirely rewritten to work on gamecube or wii. If it was a modified Mario Sunshine engine, then that would work. That being said if people kept the equations for linear curves(ie for jumping and stuff) and then recoded the same linear curves for the controls then that would work...but then again maybe not wii/gamecube/and n64 all have different joysticks.

speaking of which, the damn padding on the wavebird joystick is made out of latex(or some other low lifetime polymer), and that **** is deteriorating.

Online Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2012, 02:09:46 AM »
All I know is, they sure as hell didn't use the linear curves for any of the console games in Super Mario 3D Land, because the jump mechanics in that game are next-to-stupid.

Offline Drizzt

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2012, 11:20:08 AM »
Did you guys notice that the British guard zombie at the beginning of the e3 ubisoft trailer is the same guy fighting the zombies at the end of the trailer. And the guy in the blue shirt is a zombie attacking a lady later in the trailer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPHPd1EP_c8
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 11:22:56 AM by Drizzt »

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2012, 11:00:19 PM »
Footage from the Comicon demo, is it just me or have the graphics improved?

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2012, 11:33:22 PM »
I can't really tell. What exactly looks better to you?

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2012, 01:04:07 AM »
the lighting and possibly shaders. I need to do a comparison...

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2012, 01:04:35 AM »
Yeah it is definitely better. Proper lighting, draw distance is longer, post process effects and AA. GORE and gibs are in. Animation are improved and proper physics has been implemented.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2012, 09:20:17 AM »
Okay, here's a comparison; 720p from E3 vs 720p from Comicon.

E3:

Comicon:

Note the increased particle effects, better draw distance, increased sharpness AND smoothness and also more natural lighting. it looks like light reflecting off the metal pan on the left.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2012, 10:34:38 PM »
yeah thats one thing about certain game engines. When i was making levels on the source engine i had different options on how i wanted to process the level. Certain options would yield better lighting, but Id have to wait a long damn time for the computer to process them. Not ideal when you're wanting to move around geometry here or there and make the level type. I believe experts call this the prototyping stage. When I did get things done, they looked **** loads better.

We can't really make comments on the graphics till we see the finished product.

so, ignore my earlier comments..i've come back  to my senses

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2012, 06:20:55 PM »
Here are some better shots showing off the new lighting and improved graphics. Click to zoom

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2012, 10:08:37 PM »
Looking great now.   I get the feeling this game is going to be huge.

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2012, 05:42:38 PM »
Looking great now.   I get the feeling this game is going to be huge.

Huge in what way? Sales? Scope? Game world?
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931