Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1548712 times)

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #3350 on: June 20, 2012, 10:16:49 AM »
I loved TS3, possibly the best one.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #3351 on: June 20, 2012, 10:23:48 AM »
Watched Robocop finally.  I have to say its very typical 80's.  Getting hit by a gun in that universe is less deadly but more gruesome.  I see the potential for a good movie there and see why all the spin-offs.  This is not that good movie.  An ok movie.  Though it is nice to see what happens to Red after the 70's. :P:

Geez, I remember watching this in the theater when I was 14 or so. And reading about the controversy about the film and the comic that followed. I had the NES game too. There's so much to be said about the ideas of the story, though the over-the-top antics overshadow most of the interesting ones. Dude getting splattered after being doused with acid - is that really necessary? Part of the 'we need more unique ways to kill people' part of the movie.

I really like Robocop 2 over the first. Still has Peter Weller, Frank Miller has a cameo, robot fighting robot action (stop motion not computer animation)... very entertaining. Though Paul Verhoeven does add a certain something that can't be duplicated.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #3352 on: June 21, 2012, 01:56:08 AM »
Yeah, it's awesome how you watch Robocop 2 and he's already doing those satire/spoof commercials that he did later for Starship Troopers.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #3353 on: June 21, 2012, 02:01:01 AM »
Toys Story 3 is the brave little toaster

But the Brave Little Toaster was better.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3354 on: June 21, 2012, 02:48:50 AM »
There's nothing in the cinemas i want to see last week or this week so i haven't gone.

No i will not see Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #3355 on: June 21, 2012, 10:22:44 PM »
There's nothing in the cinemas i want to see last week or this week so i haven't gone.

No i will not see Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter.

But that movie looks awesome, just from the title alone I will end up watching this one.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #3356 on: June 21, 2012, 10:41:37 PM »
Agreed.

He wields an axe with melted silver on its blade. Bad ass.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #3357 on: June 21, 2012, 11:58:58 PM »
Historical Fantasy Fiction is a genre that will be popular in the future, Abraham Lincoln Vampire hunter is just the one of the first of many people.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3358 on: June 22, 2012, 03:24:50 AM »
I'm completely over vampires as it is, so it's just another to skip.

I do want to see Red Lights though.

I will wait for the inevitable sequel. George W Bush: Gardening Warrior.

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #3359 on: June 22, 2012, 03:49:53 AM »
watched 2 movies on my bucket list this past week

Blade runner (final cut)

I'm surprised at how well these practical effects hold up over time, looks about as good as all of the fancy CG modern movies use, gotta love the set/world design which is obviously influential on the sci-fi genre, i can retroactively see all kinds of games, movies and anime that takes their world design straight from blade runner. That said, the world may be awesome but i wasn't really a big fan of the characters in this movie, the pacing was fairly slow but that wasn't a big deal since it allowed for lots of scenery shots (although i probably got up to pee like 5 times during the movie since its raining 24/7 in that world apparently).

Apocalypse now (redux)

not much i can think of to say about this movie other than i really really liked it. I was a bit worried about the length of the movie at first but those 3 hours just zoomed by pretty quickly. probably the gold standard for war fiction
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 03:55:16 AM by Lithium »

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3360 on: June 22, 2012, 09:12:23 AM »
Yeah I watched Blade Runner about 3 years ago because my Boss was really into it.  I may eventually read the book, but the movie I got what it was going for I just didn't find it an entertaining movie.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #3361 on: June 22, 2012, 09:44:12 AM »
I'm surprised at how well these practical effects hold up over time, looks about as good as all of the fancy CG modern movies use,

Am I the only one who would like to see a new, big-budget action flick made without the use of computers (w/r/t the graphics, of course)?

Seeing the behind-the-scenes of what they used to do in movies, it seems to me a modern take on this could be pretty awesome. :D
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #3362 on: June 22, 2012, 01:46:03 PM »
Yeah I watched Blade Runner about 3 years ago because my Boss was really into it.  I may eventually read the book, but the movie I got what it was going for I just didn't find it an entertaining movie.

yeah as a story it isn't that mindblowing but it was really the world itself that sucked me in.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3363 on: June 22, 2012, 08:42:07 PM »
I'm surprised at how well these practical effects hold up over time, looks about as good as all of the fancy CG modern movies use,

Am I the only one who would like to see a new, big-budget action flick made without the use of computers (w/r/t the graphics, of course)?

Seeing the behind-the-scenes of what they used to do in movies, it seems to me a modern take on this could be pretty awesome. :D

I agree, i think i could do a super low budget movie that looks every bit as good as promethius, but then again, i might want to use computers somewhere. I would just like to flip the use of CG vs practical in reverse. To me it almost seems like why do it in CG if you can sculpt it with better results?

and nowadays, practical might be the cheaper choice again.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #3364 on: June 22, 2012, 09:55:58 PM »
Prometheus.

The movie was really weird. I'll have to write something longer later. For now, I'll say that I believe it's actually a REBOOT of the Alien movies.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #3365 on: June 22, 2012, 09:58:26 PM »
Why would you think that it's a reboot? There was like 50 references to the first Alien film.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3366 on: June 22, 2012, 11:38:34 PM »
Prometheus is weird, but im still thinking about it constantly, but mostly because I want to make a low budget scifi movie. As far as matte stuff go, they didn't have a whole lot. Most of it was big budget caverns and im sure the actors were expensive as ****.

Offline Eman55

• View Profile
« Reply #3367 on: June 23, 2012, 12:03:19 AM »
I just watched Tron Legacy for the first time and really liked it. The special effects were one of the main reasons it was great and looking forward to playing its bit in Kingdome Hearts Dream Drop Distance.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #3368 on: June 23, 2012, 01:50:32 PM »
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter

Completely mediocre. The directing was over-stylized to a painful point. The action was nothing but ugly 300-esque velocity shifts. The story was somehow really, really boring. Despite covering literally decades of Lincoln's life, nothing ever seems to happen. His thirst for vengeance is quenched before the film is even halfway over. There are one or two things that I assume are supposed to be twists, but everyone saw them coming from a mile away.

The film suffers greatly from the tone it decided to take. It's not campy enough to be as fun as the title would lead you to believe. However, it doesn't take itself seriously to make any actual commentary on the world or events surrounding the story. Slavery should be a very central theme to Lincoln's beliefs, the American Civil War, and hungry plantation-owning vampires. Yet it's barely even touched upon in the film.

This was just one huge miss after another. The trailer for the book showed so much more promise than this trite.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #3369 on: June 24, 2012, 10:06:08 PM »
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter

Completely mediocre. The directing was over-stylized to a painful point. The action was nothing but ugly 300-esque velocity shifts. The story was somehow really, really boring. Despite covering literally decades of Lincoln's life, nothing ever seems to happen. His thirst for vengeance is quenched before the film is even halfway over. There are one or two things that I assume are supposed to be twists, but everyone saw them coming from a mile away.

The film suffers greatly from the tone it decided to take. It's not campy enough to be as fun as the title would lead you to believe. However, it doesn't take itself seriously to make any actual commentary on the world or events surrounding the story. Slavery should be a very central theme to Lincoln's beliefs, the American Civil War, and hungry plantation-owning vampires. Yet it's barely even touched upon in the film./

This was just one huge miss after another. The trailer for the book showed so much more promise than this trite.

It's a periodic Vampire action flick centered around Abraham Lincoln. It's not meant to be a polictical or topical movie trying to bury a deeper point behind gory bloody civil war action.

It was an ok movie. It did all I expected it to and nothing more. I was satisfied with it.
Lots of Axe swinging Vampire killin' action. That's what I came to see and that's what I got.

and they may have set up a sequel George Bush: Saudi Vamp Hunter!?  not really. but they did setup for a sequel.

I also watched Snow White and the Huntsman and Prometheus (& the last 45 minutes if MIB3).
maybe I'll say something about those later.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 10:09:59 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3370 on: June 25, 2012, 08:33:52 AM »

and they may have set up a sequel George Bush: Saudi Vamp Hunter!?  not really. but they did setup for a sequel.

I still think the title should be George W Bush: Gardening Warrior

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #3371 on: June 25, 2012, 09:36:38 AM »
Iron Sky

An very cheesy entertaining watch. Basically Moon Nazi attack Earth and Not Sarah Palin is the president. A lot of people went into this expecting some sort of grand satire of current affairs, but it's not that deep and is never meant to be. It favors cheese and crazy awesome over the message which quite frankly obvious to anybody with half a brain that the current state of political affairs blows.

The damn thing is, throughout the whole movie I wasn't ever rooting for any one side to win. I just wanted the awesomeness to keep rolling in. The characters in general are fairly shallow, but the acting is effective. Some of the dialogue is just insane. The problem with a lot of the jokes is that you can see them coming from way, way too far away, so by the time it arrives, it has lost most of it's impact.

What is really great about this movie is the special effects and the art design. It is all sorts of 1940-1950 retro near steampunk with 5 minutes in the future designs. The battles are just spectacular as short as they are. It's really refreshing to see someone not use shaky cam and that puts the action up a notch or two over other action movies. Seriously, Shaky cam and orange/teal is plague that needs to die a horrific death, preferably with fire.

I recommend this to people with a sense of humour and want some cheesy sci-fi with Nazis on top. About 40% of American need not apply, this movie is going to go over your heads. Rest of the world, enjoy.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3372 on: June 25, 2012, 09:48:43 AM »
Went and saw Brave this weekend.  It was a good movie that stuck with its theme and main story and didn't follow off onto some of the hooks into other areas.  Brave was a Novella/Short Story rather than a Novel. As I said it was good and kept with its theme with very little fluff.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #3373 on: June 25, 2012, 12:15:28 PM »
I recommend Safe House, Madagascar 3, and MIB 3 for immediate viewing. They are all good, if not great.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3374 on: June 25, 2012, 12:48:16 PM »
Brave is out? That's going to be a flop. Not because its a bad movie, but because I have to ask.

edit: nevermind it came out this weekened...not the 10th
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 12:50:06 PM by ThePerm »