Author Topic: Overlord Dark Legend and Overlord Minions Coming Exclusively to Wii and DS  (Read 3102 times)

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
A prequel and spin-off to the Pikmin-esque title will be making their way to Nintendo's platforms.
 http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=16549

Through an interview with IGN, Codemasters revealed their latest effort on the Wii, Overlord Dark Legend. The original title Overlord was released on all of the competing home consoles, including PC.    

Overlord Dark Legend will star a brand new, younger Overlord, as well as many returning characters from the prior game including halflings, trolls, elves, and dwarves. Starring alongside the old standbys are a slew of new characters of fairy tale influence. The game will us these characters as a part of a tongue-in-cheek plotline from the creative mind of Rhianna Pratchett, known for her work in the previous title as well as Heavenly Sword on PS3.    

Codemasters didn't feel porting the original Overlord was worthwhile, "when the Wii gives you an opportunity to make something that works very differently." Players will be able to have a "very literal connection" with the controls where "you point, and the minions go and break and kill things." In one particular case the player can "pluck a minion from the horde, hold him by the neck and shake him around."  The creature then becomes a "manic minion missile," exploding on contact with enemies.    

Overlord Dark Legend will be appearing on Wii sometime in 2009.    

Alongside Codemasters' announcement of Overlord Dark Legend for Wii, they http://ds.ign.com/articles/898/898652p1.html">revealed a DS spin-off titled, Overlord Minions. The game will differ from the mainline Overlord entries and be focused more on action puzzles than commanding minions in a Pikmin-esque style.    

Four minions (Giblet, Blaze, Stench, and Zap) are at your disposal and are commanded through use of the touch screen. Commands for attacking enemies and solving puzzles can be accomplished with a simple flick of the stylus.    

Not much more is known about Overlord Minions due to it being in early development.  Regardless, Codemasters is scheduling the title for a 2009 release.

Check out PixlBit!

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
Fantastic news can't wait to get both of these next year!
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
I will definitely get the Wii version, but I'll wait for more information and impressions of the DS version...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Yeah, the Wii game is a must buy for me. The graphics seem to translate onto the Wii pretty well, I hope they get the controls right.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
The concept of the DS game is promising.  Each minion type has different abilities, so it could wind up something like Lost Vikings.

Offline redgiemental

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
You had me at pikmin-esque.....

Offline Dan_Flyhight

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
I have the original OverLord on my Xbox 360 and though I never have finished it, I will certainly look forward to this game on the Wii and DS. It looks awesome!
If ever the acid-spitting llamas ever engulf your esophagus out of fear for their own pancreas, you know who to call...

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
I have the original Overlord on PC. This is great news that made me post an ecstatic post of gibberish and fanboi delight on our forums when I first read about it!
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
IA is going to be breathing down your neck on that one Kai. more Kairon enthusiasm posts plz

I'm suprised there are no new types of minions for this game. They still need to copy the white and purple pikmin.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
They remind me of Gremlins.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
I have the original Overlord on PC. This is great news that made me post an ecstatic post of gibberish and fanboi delight on our forums when I first read about it!

If I remember right I recommended it to you!
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144