Poll

What device do you use most to Netflix? (choose all that apply)

Game Console
22 (42.3%)
Smart Box (AppleTV, Roku, Blu-Ray player)
10 (19.2%)
Smart Phone/Tablet (& Chromecast)
8 (15.4%)
Smart TV
3 (5.8%)
Computer/HTPC
9 (17.3%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Author Topic: All Things Netflix! Coming Soon: The Netflix Experience, Live and In Person!??  (Read 321780 times)

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: All Things Netflix! Now you can watch on the GO, no mobile data needed.
« Reply #650 on: June 11, 2021, 07:49:45 PM »
Lance Reddick is simultaneously an incredibly boring choice to play Wesker...and hilariously miscast as Wesker, depending on which Wesker he's playing.

If he's playing Resident Evil 1-era Wesker, he's fine, but a rather predictable choice. If he's playing scenery-chewing, line-slurring RE5-era Wesker, then OH BOY is he NOT the actor to play him. We need to get Nic Cage on the phone, then.  ;)

Honestly, I don't have a lot of hopes for this adaptation. Resident Evil hasn't exactly had a good history with even the official animated movies, let alone those...other...movies. Add in the coin flip that is the Netflix adaptation, and I just don't see this turning out well.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #651 on: June 11, 2021, 07:56:36 PM »
Surprised no one's commented on this yet, so I might as well post it, but Netflix has officially confirmed that Castlevania spin-off that's been rumored.

The Next Castlevania animated series is going to be an adaptation of Rondo of Blood, featuring Richter Belmont & Maria Renard. Given that Symphony of the Night is a direct sequel to that game, it's very likely that Alucard will be returning for that show as well.

Amusingly, the show is set in 1792 during the French Revolution, and Richter is (in the original version of the tweet) now the the Son of Trevor & Sypha. I wonder if anyone on the script-writing team got pulled aside to explain how long humans tend to live, considering that Castlevania Season 4 takes place 300 years prior.

https://twitter.com/NetflixGeeked/status/1403385425109061633?s=20

« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 08:02:08 PM by broodwars »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: June 11, 2021, 08:18:32 PM »
I mean, I’ll watch it, but my collective disappointment in Season 4 leaves me less excited. Like I can wait for this. I’ll probably forget it exists then maybe I’ll get hyped once a trailer is released. How do they drop the ball so entirely? Not nearly Game of Thrones bad. The end of Trevor’s arc felt like a thing that merely happened.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: June 12, 2021, 12:47:59 AM »
I enjoyed S4 a lot. Sure, some of it felt off, almost like it was rushed. Belmont's obsession with the trinkets didn't make sense until the end when he put them together and the pregnancy was not hinted at before then that I saw, but it was still an enjoyable ending and final fight.

Also thought it was funny how basically three major series deaths were undone in the epilogue( Belmont, Dracula, Dracula's wife...blanked on name). Nice for future content I am sure, but I would have been fine with Belmont staying dead since his line carried on.

Its a weird change to remove a 300 year jump but it might be because of deals with the voice actors? I have seen some shows do that with their film adaptations because of a belief that they now have fans of the characters and don't want to reset that following/fandom with an all new cast (The ill-fated Shannara show comes to mind as one example). I'm not huge on Castlevania lore so I'm not sure how detrimental the lack of a time jump would be for the next story. But there's time for them to change their mind on some of these details if they go back to a major time jump. Could also be a disconnect between marketing and writers, and they meant 'descendants' unless there is more confirmation elsewhere.

It was far better than S3 and the animation was phenomenal.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2021, 12:50:29 AM by Stratos »
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: March 02, 2022, 03:05:11 AM »
I got a message saying the price would be going up to $19.99. Last year the price went up to $17.99
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: March 02, 2022, 05:10:53 AM »
At this point I'm tempted to just drop Netflix. There's just less and less stuff there I care about as a lot of the studios have moved to their own platforms.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: March 02, 2022, 01:48:23 PM »
I get Netflix free through my phone carrier so its nothing to keep it around as an option. Its still the best platform from a functional/technical standpoint so easiest to open for mindless watching. Though the backlog of stuff on D+ I'm working through has effectively taken the place of Netflix for the most part.

Also, seems it was confirmed that the Netflix Marvel shows are moving to D+.
My Game Collection

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: July 09, 2022, 04:48:44 PM »
nevermind
« Last Edit: July 09, 2022, 05:00:41 PM by ThePerm »

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: July 12, 2022, 01:03:28 PM »
So when we changing the title of this thread to "Netflix getting hit hard lately..."?
My Game Collection

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: All Things Netflix! Soon to be found on another Network near you?
« Reply #659 on: July 18, 2022, 10:02:06 AM »
Apparently Netflix is exploring licensing out some of it's Netflix Originals

https://comicbook.com/tv-shows/news/netflix-considering-selling-original-shows-for-syndication-reruns-to-other-networks/

Personally I think it's a good idea to re-introduce some older Netflix material to an audience that ma not be familiar with those properties, and even bring them back to Netflix when New Season/Sequels are released.
I mean it might even introduce some of older good stuff to current and long-time subscribers as well, as most of that older content may be drowned out by all the new stuff (garbage and quality) constantly added to the service.

Also easy money to fund more hopefully quality originals that they can then eventually license back out to keep the cycle going.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2022, 10:08:13 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #660 on: July 19, 2022, 12:32:34 AM »
I was utterly shocked when I learned that Netflix didn't do any licensing and all the promo material for Stanger Things S3 and other shows were allowed to be used with no charge. Netflix didn't even have a licensing department. They were literally relying on the silly influencer "word of mouth" to push their material. Seemed so bizarre to me. They could have had games, action figures, and other things coming out constantly to create new income streams and maintain interest in their shows between seasons. With the whole binge model it literally meant a week or so in the cultural mindset then forgotten for close to a year. Delaying episode releases was proven by Disney to make a huge deal, and they are beginning to shift to that model. Adversity really does bring out the best in some things and hopefully Netflix comes out stronger and better because of it. And not cancel their best shows after 2-3 seasons because of narrow minded, short term metrics insights.
My Game Collection

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #661 on: July 19, 2022, 12:03:45 PM »
And they need to bring back Santa Clarita Diet.

I'm sure we could create a whole list of shows that were cancelled that should've gotten at least 1 more season to wrap things up. Can create franchises if you keep killing your products off pre-maturely.

and speaking of Netflix and Franchises...
https://www.reuters.com/business/media-telecom/how-netflix-plans-find-its-inner-star-wars-2022-07-18/

[summary: Netflix wants to build out franchises that span all media, and find it's "Star Wars"]

Now we don't necessarily need another MCU. 1 massive media collective is already hard enough to keep up with and at the same time have enough QUALITY content to keep relevant.
But them finding hits that can crossover and/or spinoff to other formats (TV > Movie > cartoon, etc) would be helpful, but besides Stranger Things, nothing ever lives long enough at Netflix to do that.

As a matter of fact, why don't we do a list of good Netflix Originals, that were cut short and should've continued. I've already gone first.

Also how about some properties that may fit what Netflix is looking for.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2022, 12:15:02 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #662 on: July 19, 2022, 08:04:11 PM »
More Netflix new today.... is Netflix about to massive drop in the Streaming Warz?

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/07/19/netflix-nflx-earnings-q2-2022.html
Netflix only loses $970k users in Q2 2022, which was below expectations.

and how do we respond to that (besides the 2 stories from yesterday)?
We introduce new pricing tier.... and Ads!!!! who didn't sign up to Netflix to get away from Ads?
https://deadline.com/2022/07/netflix-advertising-tier-in-early-part-of-2023-1235072559/

Is Netflix in panic mode? They do need more quality programing, and less massive dumps of mid-to-trash quality programming.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: July 19, 2022, 09:14:54 PM »
Netflix is the most expensive of the major streaming services, and its lineup compares less and less favorably as time goes on. It feels like they're kind of coasting on the inertia they had from getting to the market first and don't really have a good idea of what to do now.

J.P. Corbran

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #664 on: July 20, 2022, 03:53:00 PM »
As a matter of fact, why don't we do a list of good Netflix Originals, that were cut short and should've continued. I've already gone first.

GLOW. It's got an 82 on Metacritic and got canceled after 3 seasons.

It is hilarious to think how Netflix completely fell behind in an industry they created. The failure to either innovate further or follow successful market trends is astounding.

For example, they have very few ongoing franchises in properties that they own. They already lost the Marvel shows, and most other things they're pushing now are either one-offs (e.g., Inventing Anna) or licensed (e.g., Castlevania). Meanwhile, their competition is building themselves on properties they hold exclusively. Then they kill off shows for not meeting their internal metrics despite minimal marketing and pushing the entire season out at once. It takes time for shows to find their audience, and not everyone is going to binge-watch whole seasons of new shows the week it comes out if they've never heard of them.

Meanwhile, the week-by-week strategy has been working for Disney+, HBO, etc. Yet Netflix, until recently, still felt that dumping whole seasons all at once was the winning move. It's all more frustrating when you remember that Netflix originally had their bread buttered by shows like Lost and Breaking Bad. The latter of which needed multiple seasons before it really caught on with audiences, and the former of which relied on the week-to-week hype to maintain popularity. I just don't get how they came to the conclusion that audiences primarily want to binge and that shows needed to catch on immediately.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: October 11, 2022, 01:27:42 AM »
I didn't want to start a new thread for this.

My Disney+ subscription expires next month. I'm strongly considering the Disney+ and Hulu without ads bundle. I don't need so many streaming services so I may also cancel my recurring Netflix subscription and subscribe only when there's something I really want to watch.

Has anyone else done this or something similar? How is it working out for you?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #666 on: October 17, 2022, 01:49:35 AM »
Mine ends in a little less than a month....

I plan on looking into the D+ Hulu adless bundle, or the triple package if my computer continues to skip the ads on Hulu, which it was doing just fine, until this weekend. I can also get ESPN+ in a bundle for cheaper than D+ and Hulu adless bundled, then I might go that route.

I 'm guessing it has something to do with a Chrome update, but i"ve had adless Hulu for years without paying for no ads. Now when I encounter an ad... everything just stops. Not sure how to get past it.

But I believe there was a D+ thread as well.

on the other hand, Netflix is supposed to be launching a Ad Based tier for $6.99mo or something like that. so maybe that will also become an option.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: October 17, 2022, 07:11:28 PM »
We cancelled the Disney bundle and now only pay for Netflix and D+. Also get Amazon because we buy Prime for shipping and such. No losses in months until this month. Wife bought a .99/month deal for Hulu to check out a new show and plans to cancel once she is done.
My Game Collection

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: October 17, 2022, 10:19:26 PM »
Mine ends in a little less than a month....

I plan on looking into the D+ Hulu adless bundle, or the triple package if my computer continues to skip the ads on Hulu, which it was doing just fine, until this weekend. I can also get ESPN+ in a bundle for cheaper than D+ and Hulu adless bundled, then I might go that route.

I 'm guessing it has something to do with a Chrome update, but i"ve had adless Hulu for years without paying for no ads. Now when I encounter an ad... everything just stops. Not sure how to get past it.

But I believe there was a D+ thread as well.

on the other hand, Netflix is supposed to be launching a Ad Based tier for $6.99mo or something like that. so maybe that will also become an option.

Unless they changed it recently, if you want the bundle with ad-free Hulu you have to start with an ad-free Hulu subscription and upgrade to the bundle through that.

J.P. Corbran

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #669 on: October 17, 2022, 10:29:37 PM »
There's enough random stuff appearing on Netflix and Hulu that my family's kept the subscriptions going, but Disney+ and Crunchyroll go off and on depending on what's new. It just doesn't make sense to keep these subscriptions if we're not going to use them. We currently only have Disney+ because of a heavily-discounted Hulu bundle, and I suspect that'll go away as well once Disney inevitably yanks that discount to put it in line with their other price hiked tiers.

We also have Paramount+ because...well, because my Dad is fond of the stuff on there. Still, if you're ever in the mood for 90s Nickelodeon Game Shows, that's definitely the place to get your fix. Maybe someday I'll finally get around to watching Star Trek Voyager instead of just letting SF Debris do it for me.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #670 on: October 20, 2022, 09:31:08 PM »

My Disney+ subscription expires next month. I'm strongly considering the Disney+ and Hulu without ads bundle. I don't need so many streaming services so I may also cancel my recurring Netflix subscription and subscribe only when there's something I really want to watch.

I've used Hulu Live TV in place of cable for a while. Not sure I can recommend outside of that use case. I don't watch much of the streaming content on Hulu. But I do like having my few shows and live sports available.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #671 on: October 25, 2022, 06:15:02 PM »

I had Netflix for a time and got those gift cards so I could purchase Netflix when I wanted. 

A few months ago I switched over to Hulu with ads.  Costs 8.62 total for just the base plan. 7.99 before taxes.  You can add on different services like Disney +, 2.99 currently, 7.99 regularly,9.99 for ESPN+, HBO Max, Showtime, Cinemax and Starz has 1 week free trials.  They also have feature add-ons  like Unlimited screens for 9.99.

They also have live TV. Live TV, Hulu with ads and Disney + and ESPN plus for 69.99 or Hulu no ads with Live TV, Disney +, ESPN + for 75.99.

If you don't care for live TV then getting the 1 month free trial works and then you can figure out what you want to add to the plan. 
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #672 on: November 07, 2022, 11:59:47 AM »
Glass Onion - Knives out 2

Nov 23rd in Theaters (1 week only)
Dec 23rd on Netflix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gj5ibYSz8C0

Who plans on catching this in the theater?

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: November 08, 2022, 04:03:02 PM »
I enjoyed Guillermo Del Toro's Cabinet of Curiosities. I really like anthology shows.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: November 11, 2022, 06:39:35 PM »
I opted to sign up for the Disney Trio Bundle because Hulu seems more up my alley. No live TV; I don't think I'd use it enough.

There are a few Netflix things I want to check out eventually such as the previously mentioned Glass Onion. I also want to finish up Stranger Things when that returns as well as Castlevania. I can probably just sign up for a month here or there.

Y'all may have read my ramblings on The Dragon Prince. I watched one episode of Season 4 to see if they learned anything, and nope, officially done with this show. These mofos continue whiffing even the simplest expectations for good writing.
  • Characters are needlessly and overly vague about their intentions.
  • Characters talk about things they did that sound way more interesting than the conversation they're having about those things.
  • Nothing happened in an entire episode of a nine episode season. Why are y'all still stalling so much? So much time is spent setting up jokes that don't land instead of showing characters actually doing things.
There are so many options if y'all won't step up your game. I have Hulu now, motherfucker. I have access to Futurama again. Paramount announced THREE Avatar: The Last Airbender movies. I'm not spending any more time of this show when there are better alternatives.