Author Topic: When is Mega Man Solid X: Guns Of The Mavericks coming out?  (Read 7012 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
When is Mega Man Solid X: Guns Of The Mavericks coming out?
« on: March 31, 2006, 06:40:56 PM »
http://www.vgmaps.com/NewsArchives/April2006/index.htm#MegaManSolidXGunsOfTheMavericks
http://www.solid-x.com/
It's fun, but I'd rather play it in English.  

EDIT: You can move this to the Funhouse.  Apparently no one appreciates the effort spent creating maps for a non-existent game for VGMaps.com.  *sigh*  

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
RE: When is Mega Man Solid X: Guns Of The Mavericks coming out?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2006, 06:48:58 PM »
What the hell is that? A hacked ROM or something? Maybe it'd be funny if they removed that MS Paint "logo" and added something that actually makes reference to MGS, looks like a slightly altered Megaman sprite and not much else to me.

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
RE:When is Mega Man Solid X: Guns Of The Mavericks coming out?
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2006, 09:22:34 PM »
The logo looks like it was taken from the GBA or something. Though it is lacking in detail.

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2006, 10:00:05 PM »
When is this thread coming to the funhouse?
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2006, 02:40:08 AM »
The logo looks like it was taken from the GBA or something.

No it looks like lines drawn with MS Paint and a gradient slapped on. Even GBA games have anti-aliasing on their logos these days and the GBA can't display gradients like that. Never mind that it has a white background and amateurish design.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2006, 06:35:08 AM »
'k, where's the IPS?

Offline JonLeung

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2006, 06:43:16 PM »
Achh...some moderator should move this to the Funhouse then.

I actually met bustin98 here on the Planet GameCube forums when I was asking for someone who could do hand-drawn artwork.  Remember that topic?  He did the art that you see on the maps of the FOXHOUNDs "re-imagined" as the robotic-animal Mavericks.  Even if you can't appreciate the work spent on making the stages, there's no denying that bustin98's artwork is really good...no, awesome!  The solid-x.com web site was all designed by him, as well.

Wonder if the lackluster response'll put me off from making another April Fools' joke next year.  *whine*  Or maybe something people will "get"...I wonder if Mega Man (X) gamers tend to play Metal Gear (Solid) games or vice versa?  Maybe not, and maybe that was the problem.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2006, 06:51:34 PM »
All you need now is a programmer who can mod the original MegaMan games and sell this game on Virtual concole. I would buy it

Offline wandering

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2006, 09:01:08 PM »
OH. I didn't know you were behind all this, Jon. I remember that topic from awhile back now, yes.

Looks like a lot of work went into all this. I commend your and bustin's efforts.

The thing I don't understand, though, is why, if you were going to put all that effort into an april fools prank, didn't you try to pick something that would actually fool people? Or were you thinking people would actually believe a Metal Gear - Megaman crossover was in development?
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2006, 09:23:34 PM »
I can definitely appreciate the stages and the artwork - it looks like you guys spent a lot of time on them. But wandering's right..
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2006, 10:26:04 PM »
Blackn~1: I don't think you even need a programmer for hacking in new levels, there are level editors for most popular old games by now. At least that's the only explaination I can find for the number of hacks for each. Should be fairly trivial to make a hack when you already have all the graphics drawn.

Offline JonLeung

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2006, 04:32:57 PM »

Originally posted by: wandering
The thing I don't understand, though, is why, if you were going to put all that effort into an april fools prank, didn't you try to pick something that would actually fool people? Or were you thinking people would actually believe a Metal Gear - Megaman crossover was in development?

Well, two different versions of Mega Man has had two past Konami crossovers...if you count Mega Man and Simon Belmont teaming up on Captain N as the first (maybe not)...and the second one being that strange Mega Man Battle Network 5 link-up with Boktai 2: Solar Boy Django.  So why not the X version of Mega Man with another Konami property?

It actually really stemmed from my longtime desire to see FOXHOUND reimagined as Mega Man X bosses, since the names were derived in similar ways.  I couldn't find an artist who could do them right.  Thankfully I found bustin98 on these very forums, and he did fine artwork.  The sprites themselves were all sprite edits, which ended up being my own...no one else seemed to want to touch them.

I think it overall turned out great, especially considering that half of the mappers hadn't played a Metal Gear game, and bustin98, who drew the Mega Man X-style bosses, actually hasn't played a Mega Man game in his life!

No, I doubted that I could fool most people at the start of the project.  Near the very end of it, I thought it was a possibility, but maybe I was just so excited to get it done on the night of Mar. 31 (seriously).  I'm guessing you guys would've preferred something more like the
previous year's April Fool's joke (which was a painstakingly manual swapping of tiles), but after a mapper on my site, Revned, created a program that could easily replace tiles with other ones, I knew there would be no challenge to make yet another tile-swapped map.

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2006, 06:42:51 PM »
My buddy Gamestop manager brought the wallpaper in to the store, said he had people wanting to reserve it right there on the spot.  He was surprised at how many people just never assumed it was a prank.

The website has been pretty busy these past days, with a number of websites linking to it. And all of the search engines have indexed it, returning search results. I'm surprised at how quickly things haved moved with it.

The only thing I think we could/should have done was create a false press release to send to the major websites. I could have easily made it look like it came from Capcom's or Konami's web address.

Offline wandering

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2006, 01:36:21 AM »

Well, two different versions of Mega Man has had two past Konami crossovers...if you count Mega Man and Simon Belmont teaming up on Captain N as the first (maybe not)...and the second one being that strange Mega Man Battle Network 5 link-up with Boktai 2: Solar Boy Django. So why not the X version of Mega Man with another Konami property?

ah, I didn't know that.

Don't know much about either megaman, actually. Or metal gear.

My buddy Gamestop manager brought the wallpaper in to the store, said he had people wanting to reserve it right there on the spot. He was surprised at how many people just never assumed it was a prank.

ahaha, cool.