Author Topic: GameCube's Appeal to the Teen Audience  (Read 29949 times)

Offline dogcow

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
GameCube's Appeal to the Teen Audience
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2003, 05:03:03 PM »
Vivendi to release Bruce Lee: Return of the Legend on Game Boy Advance this March.

VIVENDI GIVES GAME BOY® ADVANCE DEBUT TO MARTIAL ARTS LEGEND, BRUCE LEE

"Bruce Lee: Return of the Legend" hits GBA in March 2003

Vivendi Universal Games has confirmed a March release for its highly anticipated "Bruce Lee: Return of the Legend" title for Nintendo's Game Boy® Advance handheld.

Developed by Vicarious Visions, "Bruce Lee: Return of the Legend" marks the first time Bruce Lee fans have been able to play as a character based on the world-renowned martial arts legend on a handheld system. Combining elements of stealth and platform elements alongside classic Bruce Lee fighting action and trademark moves, the game delivers both a dramatic movie-like story line and fast-paced action.

Vicarious Visions, critically acclaimed for their work on the GameBoy Advance conversions of Tony Hawk's Pro Skater and Crash Bandicoot® has developed a fast-paced 2D action-adventure boasting compelling mission-based levels. Controlling Bruce Lee, who in turn plays the of a skilled martial artist called Hai Feng, players must guide the young student through wave after wave of adversaries as he attempts to find the assassin responsible for killing his master.  

As the game progresses, players must perfect a variety of martial arts moves - including the jaw-dropping fists of fury - and become an expert in the use of knockout darts, the bo staff and nunchakus. Hai Feng's quest sends players across the globe to international locations of mystery and intrigue and is set to become a landmark fighting title for the handheld format.

"'Bruce Lee: Return of the Legend' continues the Universal Interactive tradition of strong character based franchises and quality handheld game experiences," said Nicholas Longano, general manager of Universal Interactive. "Universal Interactive's goal is to create an authentic and compelling Bruce Lee game that extends the Bruce Lee legacy."

Offline Perfect Cell

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2003, 05:05:43 PM »
Empire Interactive nabs the rights for a multiplatform Bad Boys II game.

Empire Interactive signs game rights for Bad Boys II

Empire Interactive plc, a leading AIM listed computer games developer and publisher, announces that it has signed the global publishing rights to Sony Pictures' summer blockbuster film, Bad BoysTMII, through a license from Sony Pictures Consumer Products.

Will Smith and Martin Lawrence are back on the streets of Miami in Bad BoysTMII, reuniting them with producer Jerry Brukheimer and director Michael Bay for a Summer 2003 release.

The film has already received major promotion in the US through TV advertising. The multi-million dollar marketing support has already kicked off with an action packed teaser spot during this year's Superbowl® - which is one of the most important advertising events in the US.

Empire Interactive has signed the rights to the Bad Boys and Bad Boys II franchise to produce multiple titles across all leading console and PC platforms including successor console platforms. The first game title for PlayStation® 2, Microsoft® XboxTM, Nintendo® GameCubeTM and PC is being developed to coincide with this Christmas' DVD launch.  

Ian Higgins, CEO of Empire Interactive said about the signing: "It is very exciting for the Group to have signed such a significant property. The movie is one of the biggest to come out of Hollywood this year and crosses over perfectly with our core gamer demographic. Empire is looking forward to making this a hit franchise for a number of years to come."

"Bad BoysTMII has a high octane story-line which really hits its target demographic of young men on all cylinders," stated Mark Caplan, Executive Director Licensing, Sony Pictures Consumer Products. "Early indications are that Empire is well on its way to developing a video game that hits the same core demographic and has as much attitude and intensity as the film."

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2003, 05:29:12 PM »
prime was made by an american company. and noa actually has gotten about 10 times the amount of 3rd party developers to make games for the cube in comparison to NCL. check the release list for japan compared to america. i believe that both play different roles and if its anyones fault it lies with NCL. arent they the ones that have the most power?
A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle is always a vice.

Thomas Paine

Offline Kai

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2003, 05:33:21 PM »
Advertising is the key here. Word of mouth is great, but advertising their adult games will get the message out fast.

Nintendo have a image problem in Australia. Adults are buying the console, kids are buying the console, but teens, I don't know if they are making as many sales in that age group as they could be.

It's funny I think of Nintendo being really cool. Their system is smart and robust and well-designed. Their games are innovative and fun.  

Offline dogcow

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2003, 05:45:41 PM »
The four-player portable racer is coming to America.

SEGA TO RELEASE SEGA RALLY FOR GAME BOY ADVANCE

SAN FRANCISCO - (February 7, 2003) - SEGA(R) of America, Inc. today announced plans to release "SEGA RALLY(TM)" for the Game Boy(R) Advance in March 2003.

"SEGA RALLY" features six all-new courses loaded with heart-stopping Rally race excitement challenging gamers to race around the globe in an all-out blitz for the Championship Cup.  Whether it's negotiating snow-covered mountains or tearing through the serpentine country backroads, "SEGA RALLY" delivers the same authentic Rally race experience on the Game Boy Advance that it pioneered in the arcades.

Before starting a quest for the cup, players will choose from 8 fully-licensed cars from the top manufacturers in Rally racing, including Subaru, Ford, Toyota, Lancia, Peugeot, and Mitsubishi.  As the competition heats up, gamers score points to purchase multiple mini-games, new courses, unlock cars, and open a SEGA Rally History and Art Gallery.

"SEGA RALLY" also features an all-new 4 Player mode, which lets gamers go head-to-head-to-head-to-head in a cut throat race to the finish.  

"Fasten your seatbelts and take your Dramamine because 'SEGA RALLY' is one helluva ride through some thrilling rocky roads - from rain soaked jungles to labyrinthine mountain trails," said Mike Fischer, vice president, SEGA of America, Inc.  "Now gamers can race around the world at top speeds, even while stuck in the subway on the way to work with 'SEGA RALLY.'"

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2003, 07:03:42 PM »
Teenagers ar e afickle bunch, quite strange. They know not what constitutes adulthood. They bleeive they are adults when they ar einfact not. I remember when I was talkign about Ninja Turtles and how cool i remember them. Well a freind who was a softmore(i was a senior at the time)...he jsut couldnt understand Ninja Turtles. Her thought of them as a childs thing. He also couldnt associate the fact that i was nastalgicizing them and they werent even out still(well they are makign a comeback but thats besides the point)  what he didnt understand was that since the generation that grew up with Ninja Turtles is now an adult generation and that Ninja Turtles are actually something adults would could relate to.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline deminisma

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2003, 07:32:59 PM »
I think for a start, Nintendo needs to sack their advertising firm. The majority of U.S. ads i've seen, suck. Remember the Sega Scream? Of course, you do. The ad was hip, and hooked a lot of 18-30 year olds on Genesis. It was cool. Watch Mallrats, Swingers, Gen-X comedys, the people in them don't play Nintendo, they play SEGA.

I also think the need to start spending some REAL money. $6 billion in cash. $6 billion. Spend at least some, guys, remember, it takes money to make money. It's all about the culture of arrogance that seems to exist at Nintendo. It's like someone forgot to tell they weren't dominating the market with 95% like in the NES days. Sega learned the hard way about a culture of arrogance and it cost them badly. Not putting DVD in Gamecube was a f**k up. I don't want to hear about how it is "just a games system". Everyone I know who owns a PS2 has games for it as well as using it as a DVD player. Sega KNEW they were making a huge mistake not putting DVD capability in Dreamcast, they wanted to, it just would have cost them too much. Whereas Nintendo had the money but didn't. I predict in 5 years time we'll look back on that as the Gamecube's downfall. This was a confused muddled rant but I think I have some pretty valid points. Reading Sega's history made me realise that Nintendo is making those mistakes now.  If you've got a lot of time to burn: http://www.atani-software.net/segabase/

Offline Meta-Knight

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2003, 07:40:29 PM »
The Resident Evil exclusive to the cube was a step in the right direction, but they need to do much more to change the image of Gamecube.  They also need third-parties to get interested to the cube.  I have nothing against ports, but a PS2 owner, for instance, would never buy a cube if he doesn't like Nintendo games and all other games are available for PS2.  Nintendo has deals with Capcom, Square, etc.  but they don't seem to care much about the US market and that is a problem.  Also, NOA really needs to be more aggressive marketing-wise.  The Eternal Darkness commercial sucked, and there was no other promotion for it.  The Metroid Prime ad was so-so, and once again, not enough promo for the game.

Offline Matt

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2003, 08:03:47 PM »
Yeah, Nintendo needs to start blitzing us with marketing.  I'd like for them to send people more mail, put out more ads online and on TV.
Matt
Contact Info in Profile

Offline Perfect Cell

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2003, 08:07:37 PM »
Why havent they started marketing Zelda? The Zelda Pre order program officially starts very soon.  They could start  by advertising that. Alot of people remember Zelda OOT and would love to hear about the offer.

Offline Matt

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2003, 08:47:35 PM »
Nintendo should be starting major marketing for Zelda. They need to hype this game up.
Matt
Contact Info in Profile

Offline DarkDraco2K2

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2003, 10:46:44 PM »
Yes, Nintendo needs to advertise the hell out of games that will appeal to teens and adults. The majority of the mainstream gamers today buy stuff based on what "looks cool". They could still make a new, better Metroid commercial and show it way more often (I never even saw the original one on TV), and maybe feature some actual gameplay footage in it, and people would possibly pick it up. So many people overlook the GameCube because they think it's for preteens and younger, and even ignore the fact that a game on that system won Game of the Year in at least 3 different places. It's basically all in the advertising now, and the big N needs to realize that as soon as possible, and start making great commercials and good advertisements for Zelda right now.

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2003, 02:35:35 AM »
Nintendo is going about it the right way, but not yet enough.

With a wealth of mature blockbusters coming to GCN in the future, or titles that have appeal to everyone they are slowly going to win gamers over.

I dont think people want to miss out on Virtua Fighter RPG, PN03, Killer 7 and many more.

Nintendo has to win the gamers back just like they lost them in the N64 days.
Its not impossible.
LZ 2005

Offline Clonester

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2003, 09:03:07 AM »
It is funny that not including a DVD player in the Gamecube has and is a "fault", because not everyone has a DVD player or hadn't before buying a console. But what about in a few years when everyone does? It won't really matter. That would have been like putting a VCR in the N64 and Playstation. It wouldn't have mattered because pretty much everyone that wanted one had it already (some for many years). So it really isn't that big of a mistake, but it has hurt them in this current generation of consoles. I wonder if, when the next form of movie media becomes popular, if people will look back and call themselves stupid for not buying a game console because it didn't have the outdated DVD player with it? I could see that happening.  
Most Favourite Game Of All Time: Chrono Trigger

Nick Frizzell- Gamecube Heaven Preview Writer
www.gamecubeheaven.tk

Offline Justin Nation

• Programmer, Senior Editor, Daddy
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
    • MAMEiac Gaming
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2003, 09:18:12 AM »
One of the most entertaining aspects of people complaining about the lack of a DVD player in the GameCube is the fact that if you took the difference in price between the GameCube and another system, once you add the stuff you'd need to be able to play DVDs, you're pretty much at the price of a low-end stand-alone player. How about another pet peeve... people making so much of a lack of progressive scan support in some games. Don't people who mention that realize the incredibly limited portion of the market that cares about such things. Yeah, I have an HDTV and the goods but the vast majority of folks can't use it, so why make it a big deal?
Justin Nation
Resident Dinosaur, Occasional Contributor, Daddy
MAMEiac Gaming
Administrator, The Nintendo Switch Fan Community (Facebook Group)
"People are stupid"

Offline Perfect Cell

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2003, 09:24:35 AM »
Anime is very popular right now. Check out the ratings for anime shows like Cartoon Networks Toonami and Adult Swim. Nintendo needs to market Zelda as a playable Anime. Maybe make a commercial thats fully animated? Get some good anime artists from Japan to make the comercials?

Offline Matt

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2003, 09:35:22 AM »
A lot of people I know who got an Xbox got it because the wanted to have that DVD player, or an extra one for thier room.

Nintendo did make a mistake with not including DVD playback in the GameCube, but that is something that could of been rectified by pushing the GameCube.
Matt
Contact Info in Profile

Offline alexzman

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2003, 01:42:20 PM »
Yeah I agree that the absence of a DVD player has hurt the GameCube quite bad. More than a few times I've seen an un-informed parent purchase a PS2/Xbox over GameCube because they see the extra $50 for a DVD player more than worth it. I certainly hope they choose to include DVD playback in their next console. As well as backwards compatibility, it certainly helped move the millions of PSX owners into the PS@ muche easier.
--CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Sim City 4, Mario Golf
--LOOKING FORWARD TO:
F-Zero, SCII, and MK: DD

Offline Nintendo

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2003, 01:49:11 PM »
GameCube will not be targeted at kids, it will not be targeted at teens, and it will not be targeting adults. GameCube will appeal to anyone who enjoys being entertained by interactive gaming. And that is the code we believe strongly: that gaming is an attitude, not an age.
-David Gosen, Managing Director of Nintendo of Europe
"What if everything you see is more than what you see - the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps

Offline alexzman

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2003, 01:53:07 PM »
But that hasn't been held to true.

I've heard that same thing said by a top guy at XBox. Saying "we want your grandma to be able to play", and they obviously haven't had much luck with that. The fact is talk is cheap, it seems only the PS2 has been able to even partly deliver to a large main stream audience.  
--CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Sim City 4, Mario Golf
--LOOKING FORWARD TO:
F-Zero, SCII, and MK: DD

Offline thecubedcanuck

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2003, 01:56:34 PM »
The big problem is not the lack of mature games, there are a some good ones and more coming. The problem is other than nintendo loyalists, nobody knows about them.

Nintendo needs a violent game, as sad as that it, that will get it noticed. They also need to market the living poop out of it with very strong commercials. Commercials that will leave people going "wow, cool, I need to have that game". I have never see a nintendo commercial that did this to me.
Having sex when your 90 is like shooting pool with a piece of rope

Offline ShanD

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2003, 01:59:32 PM »

Originally posted by: alexzman
But that hasn't been held to true.

I've heard that same thing said by a top guy at XBox. Saying "we want your grandma to be able to play", and they obviously haven't had much luck with that. The fact is talk is cheap, it seems only the PS2 has been able to even partly deliver to a large main stream audience.

Yeah, I was flipping through channels, and there was some xbox dude selling xboxes on QVC, and he kept talking about how Amped, the pack-in game has "the most realistic graphics" and how many "bits" the Xbox has, and how this is "the" holiday gift. The persons ignorance bothered me. Bits don't matter. There are much better graphics than Amped on ANY console. And "the" holiday gift is what "the" kid wants. The guy even gave that QVC girl the controller, and they didn't show the screen at all while she was holding the controller.

--DISCLAIMER-- I have nothing vs the Xbox, its just that the guys ignorance/arrogence annoyed me to no end.
hay guyzz wuts goin on in dis sig

Offline Ace

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2003, 02:16:35 PM »

Originally posted by: thecubedcanuck
The big problem is not the lack of mature games, there are a some good ones and more coming. The problem is other than nintendo loyalists, nobody knows about them.

Nintendo needs a violent game, as sad as that it, that will get it noticed. They also need to market the living poop out of it with very strong commercials. Commercials that will leave people going "wow, cool, I need to have that game". I have never see a nintendo commercial that did this to me.

I agree that nintendo needs a violent game.  How about getting the driver games exclusive and getting a kick @ss advertising campaign going for it?
You say fanboy like it's a bad thing

Offline thecubedcanuck

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2003, 02:45:17 PM »

How about getting the driver games exclusive and getting a kick @ss advertising campaign

I am not overly familiar with the driver series. I was thinking more along the lines of something new. Something GTA meets Bond meets TS2 meets Mafia.

I really dont know, but it has to ultra violent, ultra cool, and pushed as the greatest thing since sliced bread. Even then it will need a great follow up and then another to prove that the Cube means business.

Having sex when your 90 is like shooting pool with a piece of rope

Offline Perfect Cell

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2003, 04:03:26 PM »
1.I still think they should aquire another Franchise exclusive. Castlevania makes so much sense its cracy. A new 2D Castlevania on the GCN with 3D backgrounds similar to the new Contra, make it connect to the GBA Castlevania Arria of Sorrow, and let Treasure help at making it.

2.Nintendo could also make their own Violent Big Budget game. Sony did this with "The Getaway" wich hasnt gotten stellar reviews, but its gotten alot of press, and alot of comecrials on TV. Maybe make Too Human from SK the new "big franchise" they need to market it well enough.