Author Topic: PS5 Reveal Impressions  (Read 4594 times)

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
PS5 Reveal Impressions
« on: June 11, 2020, 06:42:20 PM »
Hello,

Didn't see a thread, so I thought I'd start one for posterity.

I got off work an hour early, so went ahead and booted up the stream despite having no original intention to watch the reveal.

Main takeaway: They hyped up the idea that this was the biggest generational leap yet, and then showed stuff that mostly felt like a generic realization of the future of gaming from 2002.

Assorted thoughts:

-Boy, sure glad they started things out with a montage of PS4 games, and then an extended GTA V trailer.

-Also, how many minutes were burned on pretentious CGI vignettes of the controller symbols?

-A big emphasis on what felt like movie trailers, usually not followed by actual gameplay.

-The cat-in-robo-world game seemed like one of the only titles that might have novel gameplay mechanisms, probably not at all tied to the necksjen horsepower.

-Sackboy looks like a late-to-market Mario 3D World clone, but less good.

-Ratchet and Clank 8 looks a lot like previous Ratchet and Clank games, but with snazzier scene transitions and a novelty teleport mechanic

-Tim Burton's Monster Hunter looked cool, but again, doesn't seem to be particularly tech dependent.

-I've thought before that some persistent time-loop type games might be a genuinely new direction games could take with SSDs, and there were two presented. But Deathloop's actual gameplay just seems to be some multiplayer Dishonored thing, and Returnal looked like a pretty generic TPS, and is maybe just a roguelike?

-Solar Ash looked cool for the couple of seconds that appeared to be in-game, but there's also no indication of what it actually is, and I really didn't like Hyper Light Drifter.

-Some robot platformer thing? I really couldn't tell what that was and they seemed a little embarrassed about it.

-Ghostwire gave me big Gamecube-era high-concept game vibes, and not in a good way.

-There were a couple of third-person games that blended together that involved jumping around jungle-y environments, and otherwise didn't make an impression.

-What felt like 15 minutes of Gran Turismo gameplay that seemed exactly like every previous game?

-Resident Evil will continue in the bad direction of VII.

-Hitman 11

-Horizon 2 looked very impressive graphically, but also unclear if anything was actually in-game. Also did not like what I played of the previous game.

-Oddworld Soulstorm: A busier, more graphically advanced iteration of a formula that I do not care for.

-The console itself looks like a Glacier Ice Alienware router.

And that's about my takeway. Granted, my view is a bit jaundiced, but I was expecting at least a couple of showstoppers, and didn't feel any were presented. In general, it felt like a lot of stuff that had attention-catching filmic intros just turned into "oh, you shoot stuff and/or hit stuff." Kudos, though, for highlighting family friendly content.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 06:49:35 PM by MagicCow64 »

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: PS5 Reveal Impressions
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2020, 06:59:45 PM »
I came into this thing with low expectations, and I can't really say I'm impressed with what they showed as far as a 2020 lineup.

The new Ratchet game looks like more Ratchet. I like Ratchet, so I really like what they showed, but it is just more Ratchet.

Yes, the new Sackboy game looks like a 3D World clone, but so long as it's an actual game this time & not a 10-15 hour level-building tutorial I'm down with it.

I REALLY like RE7, but RE8...just left me a little cold. I just wasn't feeling what they showed, but hey...I really didn't like what they showed of RE7 before it launched and I ended up loving the game so who knows?

Horizon 2 looks like more Horizon. I like Horizon, but it's kind of odd to get a tropical setting considering the setting of the 1st game and how far away Alloy is from an actual tropical region of the planet.

Spider-Man: Miles Morales looks like a rushed expansion to the last Spider-Man game. I liked that game, but this is clearly just a stopgap for the real 2nd Spider-Mangame. It will also likely be playable on PS4, so why do I need a PS5 to play it?

We got no information on price point, release date, backwards compatibility, etc. Overall, Sony definitely had stuff to show, but they also clearly had nothing to SELL. I see no reason to buy a PS5 right now. I'm still not convinced that PS5 is a 2020 release, ESPECIALLY given the sheer number of 2021 titles they showed.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2020, 07:03:07 PM »
You said Ghostwire and I immediately thought of the defunct DSi title.  Wondered how that'd work on a console.  Had to look and it's unrelated.  Now am sad, Ghostwire DSi sounded like a lot of fun,
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2020, 07:41:29 PM »
So I Googled "Playstation 5".  One of the first things that comes up is an announcement that GTA V is coming to the PS5.  It was literally the first announced game listed in the results.  GTA V was originally a PS3 game and I'm supposed to give a **** that it's on the PS5?  What the hell has happened to the videogame industry?  This is like if the Dreamcast had Sonic & Knuckles as a launch title!

This generation is almost over and I realize that I don't have ANY systems from it, unless you count the Wii U.  And I don't even feel like I'm missing out that much and the PS4 still feels like it just came out.  Now part of that is that I'm not a young man anymore so I have other things I pay attention to and a few years can slip through your fingers in the blink of an eye.  Still it really feels like new console generations exist now to resell you old games with a new hat.  The Switch is pretty great but even that is a lot of reselling Wii U games and indie titles that were other platforms already.  To me a new system is supposed to be all about new games that have amazing stuff that older games couldn't do.  Now it's like you get an incremental improvement and some new games sprinkled among the "remasters" of older titles.

The concept of console generations feels more and more now like someone trying to force a way of doing things that doesn't make sense anymore.  The tech used to make clear and obvious leaps with each generation.  That was both a tremendous selling point for the console makers but it was also something the customers wanted to see.  Now the upgrade is less obvious but they still want us to buy a new system every so many years so they stick with that, but when based on "need" generations should be getting longer and longer.  Playing GTA V yet again and use a magnifying glass to spot the difference is not a necessity for a new generation.  If anything Nintendo is kind of proving that since the Switch is technically outdated but that is not obvious to the average user and the convenience of it's hybrid design is a big selling point.  The average person probably cannot tell the difference between a screenshot of a PS3, PS4 or PS5 game.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2020, 08:06:27 PM »
I wasn't really planning on buying either of the new consoles anytime soon before this, and I thought the Xbox Series X was the more appealing of the two, and nothing shown today changed either of those things.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2020, 12:02:52 PM »
So far, this thread feels very old man yell at cloud. And I'm right there with you. PS5 doesn't really excite me at the moment especially without a launch price. Sony and Microsoft seem to be playing chicken over who announces that first.

I have a whole generation of non-Nintendo games to catch up on so I'm sure I'll get a PS5 eventually. I'm in no rush right now especially since I don't have a ton of time for games. I'm sure this is how I'll proceed moving forward. I don't feel like I'm missing much by waiting almost the entire generation then I can get a bunch of games on sale. I've only paid over $20 for one PS4 game and that's only because the digital version of Resident Evil 2 came with some additional DLC for a few bucks extra.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2020, 06:14:43 PM »
I was thinking about getting either the Xbox X or PS5, but neither has really swayed me.  At the very least, I can wait for the PS5 until 2021, when the games come out, which isn't the strongest vote of confidence.  I never got a PS4, and my Xbox One S has just been collecting dust.  So this may just be me blowing smoke.  But if I were to invest time in a non-tendo console, I would probably be better off buying a few games for my XB1s since MS has that upgrade thing.  But I do want to play the FFVII remake, so I'm kinda waffling a bit.

As for the showing, I'm really not in love with the design.  I thought it was a bit weird they didn't show it on its side very much, since that was my initial sticking point.  Sony usually does pretty well on redesigns, so I may end up waiting for that.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2020, 08:51:20 PM »
Maybe it's because I didn't watch the trailers in 4k, but these games didn't look that much better than PS4 Pro level?

The console itself already looks dated. Sony hasn't done a decent looking console since the PS2.

Resident Evil 8 has me interested a bit, but I have felt out of the loop on video games for the past year.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2020, 08:59:31 PM »
The whole "you have to watch them in 4K" thing is a bit puzzling to me. The games look like what they look like to me on a 1080 screen. There's no fuzziness at this point. The fact that they're rendering at a higher resolution than I can see does not impress me. Nothing that was shown seemed like it needed 4K for gameplay purposes and I don't feel like I'm missing any essential essence.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2020, 12:07:48 AM »
The whole "you have to watch them in 4K" thing is a bit puzzling to me. The games look like what they look like to me on a 1080 screen. There's no fuzziness at this point. The fact that they're rendering at a higher resolution than I can see does not impress me. Nothing that was shown seemed like it needed 4K for gameplay purposes and I don't feel like I'm missing any essential essence.

I agree with you in principle that 4K is excessive. I only upgrade TVs maybe once every decade, and I'm quite happy with my 1080p TV (which doesn't even support HDR, the buzzword the PS4 Pro was sold on), so I really don't care about all this 4K "Ultra HD" crap. I really doubt the vast majority of people will care, either, for at least 5 years until 4K becomes more widely adopted.

That said, I find the "nothing that was shown seemed like it NEEDED 4K for gameplay purposes" argument to be rather silly. Screen resolution never has and never will have anything to do with gameplay in non-competitive games. It's about matching a game's visual fidelity to modern display devices. If you're a big tech person & you have that 4K 60 in. TV, you want your games to support that resolution so they don't look slightly blurry on your TV's upscaling.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2020, 10:37:45 AM »

I agree with you in principle that 4K is excessive. I only upgrade TVs maybe once every decade, and I'm quite happy with my 1080p TV (which doesn't even support HDR, the buzzword the PS4 Pro was sold on), so I really don't care about all this 4K "Ultra HD" crap. I really doubt the vast majority of people will care, either, for at least 5 years until 4K becomes more widely adopted.

That said, I find the "nothing that was shown seemed like it NEEDED 4K for gameplay purposes" argument to be rather silly. Screen resolution never has and never will have anything to do with gameplay in non-competitive games. It's about matching a game's visual fidelity to modern display devices. If you're a big tech person & you have that 4K 60 in. TV, you want your games to support that resolution so they don't look slightly blurry on your TV's upscaling.

Yes, I'm aware of how televisions work. I was listing an additional reason why there's no particular allure for a 4K upgrade. I'd say the resolution certainly did affect things functionally up until pretty recently. I remember being pissed that I couldn't read the on-screen text on Dead Rising on the Xbox 360 because I had an SD screen.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2020, 10:50:34 AM »

Yes, I'm aware of how televisions work. I was listing an additional reason why there's no particular allure for a 4K upgrade. I'd say the resolution certainly did affect things functionally up until pretty recently. I remember being pissed that I couldn't read the on-screen text on Dead Rising on the Xbox 360 because I had an SD screen.

Well, to THAT end my biggest pet peeve of this generation is games displaying text using microscopic font, something that should not happen since I HAVE a 60 in. 1080p TV.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2020, 11:58:30 AM »

Well, to THAT end my biggest pet peeve of this generation is games displaying text using microscopic font, something that should not happen since I HAVE a 60 in. 1080p TV.

Imagine how much tinier they can make the text in 4K