Author Topic: The COVID-19 Virus is Coming For Us All Thread  (Read 187702 times)

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
Re: The COVID-19 Virus is Coming For Us All Thread
« Reply #275 on: June 17, 2020, 12:17:53 AM »
Well after having shut down for about a month or so we opened up again here in Arizona and there is 2,000 more cases in just one day.     Just like I expected a second wave came through.   

Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #276 on: June 17, 2020, 12:19:38 AM »
For those that are interested in documentaries Frontline did an episode on COVID-19 today.

For BnM- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4la0YzxFZ4
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: June 17, 2020, 03:47:57 AM »
"If we would just stop testing, we would have very few cases, if any....."

Trust me when I say we haven't hit a second wave. We still haven't done anything to get past the first one.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: June 17, 2020, 11:45:20 AM »
The situation in Canada is very different.  This has turned very much into an Ontario/Quebec problem and more specifically a Toronto/Montreal one.  That being the two biggest cities, that isn't surprising so it is probably the population density.  However Western and Atlantic Canada have small numbers. Here in BC we get little outbreaks at a family gathering or a restaurant but the health officials have been able to contract trace those and prevent them from spreading.  Doesn't mean things couldn't spiral out of control but we're doing well all things considered.

The general vibe of people has become much more relaxed.  All the stores have social distancing markers on the floor and employees with masks and gloves but the general public has largely blown this off.  You do see people in masks but I'm not sure if it's even 50%.  It's the standard thing where if you handle the pandemic effectively then people think the whole thing was overblown.  There's no tsunami that crashes into the seawall that everyone can see and think "good thing we took precautions".

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: June 18, 2020, 02:22:51 PM »
The general vibe of people has become much more relaxed.  All the stores have social distancing markers on the floor and employees with masks and gloves but the general public has largely blown this off.  You do see people in masks but I'm not sure if it's even 50%.  It's the standard thing where if you handle the pandemic effectively then people think the whole thing was overblown.  There's no tsunami that crashes into the seawall that everyone can see and think "good thing we took precautions".

That's literally what's happening where I live.  The place I work reopened on May 18th and for the first week most of the customers were still wearing masks.  By the end of the second week though most of the customers coming in had stopped wearing mask.  I'd estimate about 30% still wear them now.

And low and behold, the area I live in has now seen a spike in cases the last 2 weeks.

https://madison.com/news/local/health-med-fit/la-crosse-county-says-area-now-at-severe-risk-of-covid-19-spread/article_858224ec-5b4c-58de-8cb9-79276c0dbe58.html

It's just ridicules.  After Memorial Day, so many people around here just started acting like the virus disappeared and started going around without mask and getting together in large groups again.  So now we're getting hammered as a result. 
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: June 18, 2020, 02:48:58 PM »
Even after Coronavirus is under control, I’ll probably still be that little old Chinese lady who wore masks everywhere even before the pandemic. One, because we can never be too careful now. Two, I can pretend to cosplay as a ninja.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: June 18, 2020, 04:10:29 PM »
For those that are interested in documentaries Frontline did an episode on COVID-19 today.

For BnM- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4la0YzxFZ4

Video unavailable? 
NNID: ejamer

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: June 18, 2020, 04:53:11 PM »
Video unavailable?
Just confirming the video plays for me. Maybe it’s locked by region? You’re in Canada, right?

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #283 on: June 18, 2020, 09:12:26 PM »
It is probably a regional thing. See if it is on your local pbs channel.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #284 on: June 18, 2020, 09:19:25 PM »
Now with the increase of cases our governor has passed on the responsibility of making the decisions on things to the mayors of the cities.  Mayor in Phoenix has said making masks mandatory going forward when going out.  Tuscon, Scottsdale, Avondale and Payson has made masks mandatory going forward.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: June 19, 2020, 03:47:51 AM »
Here in Yuma, Arizona despite the governor saying you need a mask the local town governance was like "nah, you don't need a mask"

The way this **** is going I had predicted August was when it was going to clear out, but that was way back in April. Now it could be the middle of next year.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: June 19, 2020, 06:04:15 PM »
Even after Coronavirus is under control, I’ll probably still be that little old Chinese lady who wore masks everywhere even before the pandemic. One, because we can never be too careful now. Two, I can pretend to cosplay as a ninja.

I remember sering people in masks and being like "Oh, they probably got that habit because they went through some of the SARS scares and the like in Asia."

Now I'm 100% ready to be one of those people. Already decided I'll be wearing a mask while out in public, and ESPECIALLY in public transit, into next year easy.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: June 19, 2020, 06:08:55 PM »
I'm out of work for the next week on the most minor cough I've ever had because that's enough to fail the health screening at work.

Nice.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: June 19, 2020, 08:08:28 PM »
We learned today that if somebody touches a computer, it's quarantined for the next 72 hours.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #289 on: June 20, 2020, 01:06:57 PM »
Today is the rally in Tulsa, OK that was originally supposed to be yesterday and make June 19th a famous day.... :rolleyes so hard they fell out my head:

It's an indoor rally, and they expected about 100k people (many more than the venue can hold), many traveling from other states, and camping outside since Monday to get in. Mask are not mandatory. They are supposedly doing temp scans and handing out mask to those that want them, but hearing the quotes from some of these idots just lets me know that OK is about to be a source of spread if not a new epicenter itself.

“I don’t fear anything. If today is the day I die, today is the day I die," said Riniker, 62, who drove to Tulsa from his home in Arkansas earlier this week to attend what he said was his first political rally since Ronald Reagan was running for office. "I'm not paranoid, I'm not afraid."

“I think [the coronavirus] has been hyped up more than it is.There’s flu, there’s cancer, there’s COVID-19,” said Mary Legan of Claremore, Oklahoma, adding that she brought a fanny pack full of hand sanitizer and masks for her and her husband, Ken. Neither were sure if they would wear masks the whole time while inside the arena, commenting on how uncomfortable they can be, especially when it is hot out.

“When you’re in your 70s you can't go hide in your basement, you don't have that many more years,” Legan said. “If Trump felt comfortable having it here, then I’m comfortable.

“I’m a nurse. I’ve worked E.R. for 15 years, and if we want to come to a rally it's our decision," said Sheri Todd from Park Hill, Oklahoma. "I’ve had friends who had it, they were sick for a couple of weeks. But it's still our choice.”

"As far as I know, I’m still an American," said Tom Todd, Sheri's husband, and a retired welder.

"This is a free country and I can do what I want. If I want to wear a mask, I wear a mask. If I don’t, I don't. If I get sick, I get sick. That's my choice," Tom continued, adding that he thought the number of coronavirus deaths was being "padded."

“I’m not going to live my life in fear. I want to get back to the normal — not a ‘new normal,’ but the old normal," said Jill, who lives in Orange County, California.​

But as that TX Gov had said "There are more important things in life than living...."
(he made this statement in regards to restarting the economy during "lockdown" btw)

my thoughts and prayers go out to all those that have to come into contact with these people after the rally. All the locals minding their business, other travelers they pass on the journey home. Family members and co-workers they return to when they get back to their life.....

When even a Nurse takes complete disregard for her own health & safety, knowing good and well, that when she returns home, she is expected to go to work and be responsible for the health and safety of other.... especially after seeing how this affects people first hand, you realize there's no hope for society as a whole.

I can literally go off on a tangent about how this whole pandemic has been mishandled from the top down, and the people in charge at every level keep passing the buck down to the next man. Like everyone is afraid to make important decisions that could save lives.

How hard is it just make face mask and social distancing a national mandatory thing in close public spaces and indoor areas? This only works if we all do it, other wise efforts to stop the spread are futile when non-compliant places have people that travel to compliant places after they've already suppressed the virus and started re-opening.  It's a cycle of stupid that starts at the top.

California was doing pretty good, until Elon Musk threatened to take Tesla to TX or something, and Alameda Co opened early.
Orange Co was always gonna be issue due to the amount of "Karens" that just natural habitat the area.
And now we are on the rise because of certain area's not following the plan, free travel, and things opening up a little too soon, just because the weather is nice and social distancing is an inconvenience.

The ironic thing is that, because we've all been doing what we need to do, we haven't seen many people we personally know get sick, and because of that, most of us "unaffected" start to think that there really wasn't as much threat as we thought, and start to over-relax on the very things that was keeping us at low risk to begin with.
If we fast track to Herd Immunity, we are gonna lose a lot more people than we already have int he next 4-5 months, as the hospitals will not be able to handle the amount of ICU patients that need care. And if our nurses are deliberately putting themselves at risk to prove political points to themselves.... then we are truly screwed in the short and long term.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #290 on: June 24, 2020, 12:06:50 PM »
and Florida sets another new Daily Reporting Record..... 5500 cases today.
and a 16% positive rate..... which may be another record as well

https://amp.miamiherald.com/news/coronavirus/article243757872.html

Might be time for Florida to actually shut down for more than 2 weeks this time.

Also NY, NJ, and CT put in a Mandatory Traveler Quarantine Protocol effective tomorrow for visitors from certain states.
https://www.fox35orlando.com/news/ny-nj-and-ct-order-quarantine-for-visitors-from-states-with-high-infection-n

In other news though, i had a co-worker, who's husband tested positive for coronavirus.
apparently he went to a gathering of some sort last weekend. been sick for a whole week, and tested positive yesterday. No one I work with had direct contact with him or direct and/or close contact with our co-worker, but some co-workers were understandably worried about it. Luckily I wasn't there all last week (WFH!!!!) but that's the closest I've been to this virus so far. Don't know anyone else personally that has had the virus... that I know of.
although I do have a few friends who think they had it back towards end of last year when they had some sort of flu and just couldn't get out of bed.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 12:22:38 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: June 24, 2020, 03:03:06 PM »
Washington now has mandatory masks in public. Maybe now people won't glare at us like pretentious idiots because we have never stopped wearing masks in public (seriously, wife and I made a rare trip to the store together and some woman without a mask flat out scowled at my wife for no good reason. Also saw people role their eyes at me as well. An odd thing to be judge-y about.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #292 on: June 24, 2020, 03:11:52 PM »
Washington now has mandatory masks in public. Maybe now people won't glare at us like pretentious idiots because we have never stopped wearing masks in public (seriously, wife and I made a rare trip to the store together and some woman without a mask flat out scowled at my wife for no good reason. Also saw people role their eyes at me as well. An odd thing to be judge-y about.

That is pretty much the case here in metro Phoenix and the surrounding cities, finally.  Also that women is a jerk.   
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: June 24, 2020, 03:12:56 PM »
and Florida sets another new Daily Reporting Record..... 5500 cases today.
and a 16% positive rate..... which may be another record as well

https://amp.miamiherald.com/news/coronavirus/article243757872.html

Might be time for Florida to actually shut down for more than 2 weeks this time.

Just FYI, I know you enjoy a lemgthy rant even more than I do, but FL closed on 4/1/20 and didn't begin phase 1 reopening until 5/18/20. That's 1.5 months, not 2 weeks. The only thing we reopened aside from essential business in that time was the beaches, and we were right to do so.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/COVID-19_pandemic_in_Florida
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #294 on: June 24, 2020, 04:14:15 PM »
I was poking that they were late to close and early to open.
Hopefully it gets curbed quickly, but with EVERYTHING opening up in a week....doesn't look likely.
Especially since (from what I've read.....) only certain counties have enforced the mask and social distancing rules

edit: and I'm over here talking about FL.... look at Cali with record setting 6k cases yesterday.
Mostly in SoCal from what I can tell.... LA County, OC, San Diego areas.

and we can't forget Elon Musk over in Alameda County.... smh
« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 05:23:07 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: June 24, 2020, 05:34:06 PM »
Well with cases in my area spiking, one of my coworkers has tested positive, so now the store is closed for 2 weeks.  The person who was positive I worked with them this weekend, and then they called in sick on Monday because they had the symptoms and then were positive yesterday.

So now the local country health office is sending me emails each day just to respond how I feel.  I'd like to get tested but they said because I have no symptoms they can't because the test don't do a good job if you've been recently exposed.  Now if I still don't have any symptoms by the end of next week I can get tested since if I'm someone who can spread it without symptoms then there would be enough of the virus built up to get a positive.  Otherwise only if I develop symptoms can I get tested this week.

Well as long I don't get sick it'll be like a 2 week vacation since I just sit around and play videogames on my free time anyway.  I just wish I didn't stay up late playing videogames on Sunday night and then waking up early Monday for the Smash Bros reveal.  I mean Monday was my day off so I sometimes don't get the sleep I should when I'm off the next day.  Of course I've been telling myself not to lose control because the one night I don't get enough sleep will finally be the day I was exposed so it shouldn't be too much of a surprise then.  I've made sure to get enough sleep the last 2 days so lets hope that does the trick.

Oh well, if I do get infected at least it was because of Smash Bros.  I can't think of a more fitting way for me to go. :D
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #296 on: June 25, 2020, 10:44:38 AM »
someone set the reminder....

UK tells Florida to "holds it's beer"

https://news.sky.com/story/major-incident-declared-in-bournemouth-as-thousands-of-people-flock-to-beaches-12014686

::yesterday::

.....yes. He said they were defecating in burger boxes.

and even though that particular beach is closed till next Saturday, it appears that it's quite busy again today as well.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: June 25, 2020, 07:07:23 PM »
Uh... it doesn't have to be a pandemic for me to condemn shitting in burger boxes.  Like that's just a gross thing to do period.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: June 25, 2020, 10:21:13 PM »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #299 on: June 26, 2020, 12:04:28 PM »
If theres one thing Florida got.... it's entertainment. (in the worst way, but you still gotta laugh)
https://twitter.com/nowthisnews/status/1276288370562523136
- seriously though.... it's really embarrasing.

and this is all while they are putting up another record reporting day w/ almost 9k confirmed COVID cases.
over 13% positiviity rate on 71k test performed.

some numbers for those interested:
http://ww11.doh.state.fl.us/comm/_partners/action/report_archive/state/state_reports_latest.pdf

and just remember that these number may be low.... it's suspected that FL may be under reporting by masking lots of these deaths as "pneumonia" related instead of COVID, with an annual pneumonia cases being something like 6x the usual annual avg rate (but take that number with a grain of salt, because I don't have the updated figures. Going off what was being shared a few weeks back)

and according to the department that regulates liquor licenses in Florida, EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY
no bars are allowed "On-Site" consumption of alcohol.
https://twitter.com/FloridaDBPR/status/1276534160446930944

so that must mean that all indoor bar activity is put to a halt.
But Disney World, who is supposed to open in 2 weeks.... will they be able to sell Liquor/Beer/Wine?
and if they can't, do they still open the parks?

« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 12:09:34 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »