Author Topic: Movie Spoilers in an age of Social Media  (Read 2047 times)

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
Movie Spoilers in an age of Social Media
« on: April 27, 2019, 08:39:49 PM »
https://www.unilad.co.uk/film-and-tv/guy-reportedly-beat-up-for-spoiling-endgame-outside-cinema/

So spoilers are a huge deal for many.  Aside from being locked in a theater for 2.5 days before the release of Endgame, I didn't really change any of my habits and had no issues, but I'm not a huge social media person.  Also, I've gotten to where I don't really watch trailers and such anymore if it's a movie I already know I want to see (Like, totally watched that Joker trailer though.  It's a movie I'm going to see eventually no matter what, but the trailer did interest me), so that helps.

I'm curious what the future holds for spoilers in the digital age.  There's virtually no way to *stop* the issue.  I think some kind of browser plug in could be neat, but then you'd have tracking and privacy concerns.

Personally, since we literally download movies to theaters days/hours before release, I'm thinking a Clue-esque movie/remake with about 50 slightly different versions filmed and silently downloaded differently to different theaters.  Then, when someone tries to spoil it, others who have seen it will be all "No, that's not right."  Could be a fun social experiment.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
Re: Movie Spoilers in an age of Social Media
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2019, 09:16:16 PM »
When a giant movie comes out it is monastic time.

Be a monk.

Conversely, I had fantasized about yelling fake spoilers. I didn't do it, but it would have been fun.

"I haven't seen a gratuitous sex scene like the wasp and antman since trinity and neo in the matrix"

"I can't believe Thanos won again!"

"Man, I can't believe rocket died"

Man, wasn't it awesome when Deadpool Showed up

I did say out loud something to make myself sound stupid, but really a clever thing.
"I can't believe Batman didn't show up!"

If anyone had taken the bate and said
"Batman is DC"

I could have been like
"Batman was in the last Spider-man movie"
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 09:25:47 PM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2019, 09:54:05 PM »
>Conversely, I had fantasized about yelling fake spoilers.

There was a Reddit thread that had me thinking a fake spoiler plan could work.  I messaged the MCU sub mods, but never got a reply.

I wanted to announce a contest with a legitimate prize, basically, someone has to create a believable yet fake spoiler and whomever can get the most media attention with their fake spoiler would win the prize.  Kinda based off the XBox Pure and CheapyD's contest that ended with, I think, Kotaku running an article, then getting pissed when they found out it was all fake and part of a contest.

(Just googled it: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/70271/xbox-pure-or-how-cheap-ass-gamers-pulled-one-over-on-kotaku)

I think that would have been amazing.

Even *if* you read real spoilers, you'd have no idea if they were real or not, with all the fakes going around.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2019, 12:28:23 AM »
Its honestly something that society has to learn to adapt to. Just like DONT USE ALL CAPS when writing online, and don't dick around on your phone while talking to someone in person, we as a society and culture need to learn to be mindful of what we say online. Both for the consequences of our actions down the road (racist/sexist tweets) and for the respect on discussing a subject matter like spoilers. 10-20 years from now I imagine we will see most people stop posting status updates and tweets about spoilers other than the odd asshole looking to ruin someones day.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast