Author Topic: Will the next Switch iteration have 3DS bc?  (Read 2867 times)

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
Will the next Switch iteration have 3DS bc?
« on: June 08, 2017, 05:30:29 PM »
The 3DS is still selling well and with it's latest version, the new 2DS, I expect those sales to continue for a couple more years.

In a couple years, the Switch could be due for a slight upgrade; mainly to make it more portable, ie better battery life, and maybe an updated look. If they make it more portable, however, this really could impede on their 3DS sales and instead of updating that handheld to its next generation, it seems highly likely that they'd combine systems, especially if the Switch sells as well as it has for two years straight.

So what I'm asking, are they likely to provide backwards compatibility to the Switch or simply drop it?
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline KeyBilly

• Donkey Kong is here!
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
Re: Will the next Switch iteration have 3DS bc?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 05:59:33 PM »
I really hope so.  As of now, I am skipping most 3DS games simply because it is too much hassle and bulk to carry two portables.  Perhaps a multi-cart slot that accepts both game types would help avoid too much space being taken in the case, and the 3DS should be easy enough to emulate without including a separate ARM chip.

I am hoping that Nintendo begins a tic-toc hardware cycle, with a portable update one year, then a "console" update the next.  As with phones, major updates would come every few years and games would be compatible over multiple generations, so there is no need to keep up with the cycle for those of us who can't afford it.  I think a steady march of hardware development would push them to continue refining and stay competitive, plus new hardware is fun.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 06:12:59 PM »
How would this concept handle the two screens?  Show them both on the single screen?  I like the concept but it needs some workarounds and Nintendo is less likely to do something if it requires workarounds.  Would this BC also include the regular DS since the 3DS is backwards compatible with it?

What Nintendo would probably prefer to do is sell Switch ports of 3DS games.  Backwards compatibility is a great feature but from the perspective of the manufacturer it's encouraging you to hang on to old games or buy used titles.  The time that BC is most valuable to the game companies is when a new system first comes out so that the remaining new titles on the old system can sell with the early adopters of the new system.  Like if you traded your DS for a 3DS you could still buy new DS games like Pokemon Black/White 2.  So if they were going to push BC NOW would be the time so that Switch owners may also buy these last few 3DS games.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 09:18:45 PM »
I like the concept but it needs some workarounds and Nintendo is less likely to do something if it requires workarounds.

Unless that something is voice chat.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2017, 10:10:31 AM »
3DS games would look terrible on the Switch screen.

Also part of the Switch's "elegance" is not cluttering it with things like voice chat or backwards compatibility.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2017, 01:10:29 PM »
IF there are any prior console or handheld games offered on the swtich, I expect it would be through emulation, NOT by adding hardware to the console for it to run 3DS games.

I also think if you go based off of Nintendo's hardware iterations, they usually focus on either streamlining the design to cut cost out of the system, or add power/size to justify a cost increase. 

I wonder what kind of challenges adding 3DS BC would provide their engineering department.  That would have to take extra real estate inside the casing of the console.  Has there been any breakdown of the hardware to see what extra space there currently is (if any)?

Offline KeyBilly

• Donkey Kong is here!
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2017, 03:08:56 PM »
Ian, that is all logical, although I can personally say that I would only buy a first gen NS Lite if it had physical BC.  The Switch trend of adding a little polish and "DX" to the title, then selling a port for full price is already getting tiresome.  I purchased MK8 simply because there wasn't much else to play and I needed a title for multiplayer, but the grace period has expired.  I may be the outlier, though.  If they can sell ports of 3DS games for original price through emulation, I can't blame them for doing it.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2017, 06:45:41 PM »
I don't think Switch will ever have any backwards compatibility, because the hardware is different. If anything 3DS happens on Switch, it will be 3DS games on the eShop.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2017, 12:20:32 AM »
Got an idea: what about a clam shell, dual screen pocket Switch? Top screen is for games, the bottom is a touch screen that is tied to your social media accounts. Allowing you to easily chat,message, and talk to others online. It could then include a 3DS emulation mode where the bottom screen is used for 3DS touch screen.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast