Author Topic: 2014 Oscars. Ranking the movies and your opinions on the 2013 movie scene.  (Read 20811 times)

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
I don't care about the Oscars. Just pretentious people giving themselves self-congratulatory awards. A sham. They never get it right. Yadda yadda yadda.

I don't care if you have some baggage about the Oscars. I like them but I'm also not beholden to their opinion as the final say on movies. It took awhile but I finally realized the Oscars are based on a small sample size of various Hollywood people and so the end results can and will be different than what I, a number of 1 (when I'm taking my meds) would choose. However, the Oscars still provide a good selection/recommendation list one can use to find great movies released in a year. Even now, I like to look up old Oscar lists from the past to find films I may have forgotten about. Do the Oscars get it wrong? Perhaps. But everyone has their own taste and opinion so what they might get right or wrong is entirely subjective. For instance, I prefer Ordinary People over Raging Bull and am glad it won Best Picture as I regard it a better film and yet, that view would be in the minority for many people. On the other hand, I thought Life of Pi was last year's Best Picture and have had to continually remind myself it was Argo because I found that movie rather unmemorable.

That said, I thought it might be interesting to discuss and share the opinions others may have about this year's crop and see how our preferences line up. Haven't seen them all? Only seen 1? Haven't seen any but still want to render an opinion? Think there was something that should have been nominated but wasn't? Go ahead and post it. It's NWR. You'll probably do it anyways. (Especially if it is to complain.)

I actually have seen all the Best Picture nominees so I can rank them all. Here are my quick thoughts and views from them all.

9. Dallas Buyers Club
8. 12 Years a Slave
7. Philomena
6. The Wolf of Wall Street
5. Captain Phillips

To be honest, I'll be happy if any of these win but in the efforts of ranking them, here goes
4. American Hustle
3. Nebraska
2. Gravity
1. Her

It's funny. When you actually try and put the movies in order, you suddenly start thinking of all kinds of different criteria and other factors to sort it out. Her might benefit from the fact that I just saw it on Saturday and may need more time to think about it but I found it an interesting examination of love and romance. I guess I should post more about my thoughts on each film and why I rank them as I do but that is something I can do over a period of time and just get this thread rolling for now.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 07:30:58 PM by Khushrenada »
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Eh, I haven't watched the Oscars in years, as no movie I actually like ever actually wins anything noteworthy and the whole ceremony pretty much lost its spirit once Billy Crystal retired. It certainly didn't help when the Academy threw animated films into their own ghetto with the Best Animated Film category.

That said, WHAT THE HELL, Academy? In what universe is The Lone Ranger a candidate for Best Visual Effects, but Pacific Rim ISN'T?!  :Q Even by the Academy's ****ed-up logic, that's an insane snub.

As for the Best Picture nominees, I have no opinion. I've seen none of them and only maybe want to see two of them (Gravity and The Wolf of Wall Street).  I'm hoping Frozen (& it's attached Mickey Mouse short) sweeps its categories, though (Best Animated Film, Best Animated Short, Best Song - "Let It Go"), just to see one of the few films I cared about this year get the awards.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
The Wind Rises > Frozen

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
The Wind Rises > Frozen

We'll see. It's been a long time since I liked a Miyazaki movie, and it's been even longer since Miyazaki had any sense of subtlety. The problem with The Wind Rises at the Oscars, though, is that no one's seen it. It got that "1-2 weeks in an obscure Hollywood theater" treatment just so it could qualify for the Oscars, all so the box quote on the home video release could have a "nominated for an Academy Award" sticker on it (which was the goal all along).  Frozen pretty much has that award in the bag unless the Academy is even more senile than usual.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
Please don't tell you think Studio Ghibli = Miyazaki, because no **** dude, the reason why it's been a long time since you liked a Miyazaki movie is because he's only had three in the last decade, including The Wind Rises, which I highly doubt you've seen.

I know you're like the epitome of a hipster douche along with Ian Sane, but the post you just made was absolutely hilarious in how bad it was.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 05:59:51 PM by Oblivion »

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
Frozen is a decent movie at best. It's a highly forgettable experience. The songs are average and overwhelming, the only decent characters are the two whom aren't actually human, there's barely a villain to speak of, and the end is incredibly cliche. This is NOT a return to Disney Animations. If anything, it's the same enthusiastic but ultimately mediocre offering.

I haven't seen any other animation films this year, so you may be right about it sweeping the Oscars, but it certainly doesn't deserve it.

EDIT:

WOLF OF WALL STREET

It deserves to win in every category it's nominated. Maybe not technically, but this is a "watch the rest whenever it's on" sort of movie. 12 years, Gravity, Her, Dallas Club...all great movies, but Wolf...it's classic.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 07:42:50 PM by Stogi »
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
Oblivious, you are just about the LAST person on this board to have the right to call ANYONE a "hipster douche", so why don't you stop now before you embarrass yourself further. I am FULLY aware of the Gibli movies Miyazaki's done, and he hasn't made a good one since Princess Mononoke, if not porco Rosso.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
Go ahead, bud. Keep talking. I'm not the one getting embarrassed here.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
So, I haven't seen Philomena and Wolf of Wall Street.  I plan to correct at least of of these situations tomorrow.

Anyway, I'd have to say Her is my definite number one.  By far my favorite.

Next is probably Gravity and then American Hustle.  I can't tell you how impressed I was with Gravity and American Hustle had the best acting in a movie all year, hands down.

After that, it'd be Dallas Buyers Club and 12 Years a Slave.  The former being such a great story with two top notch performances creating an unusual and unique chemistry.  The latter being personally relatable to me, being black and growing up in New Orleans.  My dad actually grew up in a place much like what you see in the film.  They were both just flawed enough to not make my top 3.

Then there's Captain Phillips and Nebraska.  The pirates in Captain Phillips were the best part for me.  They felt more real than anything.  Nebraska was incredibly charming, and may grow on me after multiple viewings.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile

No really, please continue. I love hearing about this delusional fantasy world of yours where a Disney-published foreign movie no one's seen (because it's not technically out yet) manages to beat a Disney-created AAA, critically acclaimed and beloved animated film in a popularity contest determined by the films' marketing budgets. By all means contine telling me how Disney will push an obscure movie from a filmmaker FAR past their prime over a major Disney franchise. Please do. I haven't laughed this hard in ages.  :P

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
Re: 2014 Oscars. Ranking the movies and your opinions on the 2014 movie scene.
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2014, 10:09:18 PM »
By all means contine telling me how Disney will push an obscure movie from a filmmaker FAR past their prime over a major Disney franchise.

Please don't tell you think Studio Ghibli = Miyazaki, because no **** dude, the reason why it's been a long time since you liked a Miyazaki movie is because he's only had three in the last decade, including The Wind Rises, which I highly doubt you've seen.

I know you're like the epitome of a hipster douche along with Ian Sane, but the post you just made was absolutely hilarious in how bad it was.

The Wind Rises > Frozen

Funny, I don't see where I was telling you that they will be pushing The Wind Rises over Frozen. God damn.

You are using a variety of illogical fallacies to prove your point and all it does is make me giggle like a little school girl. I guess all we are doing at this point is laughing at each other.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 10:11:48 PM by Oblivion »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2014, 10:11:04 PM »
Can you please not use personal attacks as part of your pointless argument?
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2014, 10:11:57 PM »
Better?

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2014, 12:38:21 AM »
Can you please not use personal attacks as part of your pointless argument?

Are you saying that arguing over semantics on an internet gaming forum regarding a Hollywood popularity contest where rich people give other rich people golden statues regardless of merit...is pointless?  I'm hurt, Insanolord!  ;)

Funny, I don't see where I was telling you that they will be pushing The Wind Rises over Frozen. God damn.

You are using a variety of illogical fallacies to prove your point and all it does is make me giggle like a little school girl. I guess all we are doing at this point is laughing at each other.

Alright, since it's becoming rapidly apparent that actually reading what people are saying is not your strong suit, I'll break this down for you slowly: I've never once said that The Wind Rises is better or worse than Frozen. I don't care about the movie. No one cares about the movie. We haven't been allowed to see it yet in NA. When the movie releases this year, it'll be the same failure -> modest success that all the Ghibli movies have been in NA, and a week later everyone will forget it even existed.  Whatever. The only reason Disney even publishes these films in NA is because Lasseter has such a fondness for Ghibli.

It can be the best movie ever made, and it will never win the Oscar for Best Animated Film, which is what I've been saying FROM THE OUTSET (hence "the problem for The Wind Also Rises at the Oscars").  You know why? Because the Oscars are run by an Academy of increasingly old and easily influenced people, and they are typically decided by whatever marketing agency can throw the most money at "for your consideration" ads and screener copies for the Academy members. And all this is done because Academy Award winners typically have a very healthy home video sales life afterwards. Merit hasn't had any correlation with the actual award winners in decades, if not longer.

Which brings us to the Best Animated Film Oscar. The one time that a Ghibli movie has won the Best Animated Film Oscar (for the mediocre "Spirited Away"), Disney threw their entire Oscar marketing weight behind that movie instead of the other films they had up for the Oscar that year. The end result is that this obscure movie no one outside the anime community had ever heard of won the Oscar, which led to a very successful home video campaign that no other Ghibli movie has since replicated.

Which brings us to Frozen and The Wind Also Rises. Disney has major money riding on Frozen, and The Wind Also Rises is just another Lasseter pet project like all the other Disney-published Ghibli movies. Which do you think Disney's putting all their Oscar marketing behind? The Gibli movie that not even the general public in NA has even had a chance to see, or the major studio-revitalizing & acclaimed Disney-owned animated feature?

I'm sure The Wind Rises is a potentially decent movie. I haven't liked anything Miyazaki's touched since Princess Mononoke (Howl's Moving Castle was a mess, Ponyo was horrible, and the Miyazaki-written Up On Poppy Hill was average at best), but I'm open to seeing it when it releases on BluRay later this year. But that said, it doesn't stand a chance in hell of winning the Best Animated Film Oscar, not without Disney putting its full weight behind pushing it to the Academy and that's NOT going to happen. The only reason it even got nominated was so that Disney could put "Nominated for Best Animated Film" on the BluRay box and sell a couple hundred more copies. Frozen is Disney's heir apparent, and that's all I've ever said on this matter.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 12:46:33 AM by broodwars »

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2014, 12:45:58 AM »
I haven't laughed this hard in ages.  :P

Something tells me that after that wall of text someone isn't laughing. Unless you can laugh and type. I'm terrible at that.

I still need to watch Nebraska...but eeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhh. Nebraska. Really? I'd rather watch a movie about a dude with aids.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2014, 12:49:20 AM »
I haven't laughed this hard in ages. <$1alt="" title="" onresizestart="return false;" id="smiley__$2" style="padding: 0 3px 0 3px;" />

Something tells me that after that wall of text someone isn't laughing. Unless you can laugh and type. I'm terrible at that.

After my last post? No, now I'm just annoyed.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2014, 12:56:08 AM »
Annoyed on the internet.

How quaint.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2014, 01:01:08 AM »
Annoyed on the internet.

How quaint.

Touche.  :P:   Well, as you know, the Internet is serious business.  ;)

Back to the topic, I actually really want to get around to seeing some of this year's Best Picture nominees (notably 12 Years a Slave & Wolf of Wall Street), but I'll wait for them to hit home video. I've heard really good things about those 2 movies in particular.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2014, 01:10:15 AM »
Quote from: nasal voice
I've never once said that The Wind Rises is better or worse than Frozen.

Neither did I. I called you a hipster douche because of your opinion on Miyazaki. That's it, broski. You jumped down my fucking throat because I obviously hit a nerve.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2014, 01:17:49 AM »
Annoyed on the internet.

How quaint.

Touche.  :P:   Well, as you know, the Internet is serious business.  ;)

Back to the topic, I actually really want to get around to seeing some of this year's Best Picture nominees (notably 12 Years a Slave & Wolf of Wall Street), but I'll wait for them to hit home video. I've heard really good things about those 2 movies in particular.

I watched both at home. I found myself pausing 12 years to grab snacks and rewinding Wolf to laugh harder.

So yeah...good choice to wait.

Offline jrlibrarian

• Small Staff
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2014, 02:42:21 AM »
And we're still reacting to Oblivion's rants, why? It's entertaining, at times, to see him go off, but nothing more than that. I mean. He used the word broski completely seriously. Personally, I don't really care at all about either Frozen or Miyazaki in general.

Anyway.

I've seen Her, Gravity, Wolf, and 12 Years. That would probably be my rating order as well. Wolf made me laugh harder than I have in years, but Her and Gravity affected me the strongest over the longest period of time.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 03:30:20 AM by jrlibrarian »
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2014, 03:16:04 AM »
Quote from: nasal voice
I've never once said that The Wind Rises is better or worse than Frozen.

Neither did I. I called you a hipster douche because of your opinion on Miyazaki. That's it, broski. You jumped down my fucking throat because I obviously hit a nerve.

The Wind Rises > Frozen

Did you forget what the "greater-than" sign is used for, mate?

God, this whole argument is train a wreck.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2014, 10:28:53 AM »
I haven't laughed this hard in ages.  :P

I still need to watch Nebraska...but eeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhh. Nebraska. Really? I'd rather watch a movie about a dude with aids.

I didn't know anything about the movie and was debating going to see it since the only theater playing it was almost on the other side of town. So, the night before, I thought I'd see the trailer for it and after about 20 seconds, I stopped it because I could tell right away I wanted to see it and didn't want to spoil it any further. So, I was able to go in pretty blind about its contents which often seems to yield the best movie experiences.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2014, 10:35:39 AM »
EDIT: Actually, **** it,

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2014, 11:42:59 AM »
I smell a new title

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2014, 10:25:39 PM »

I don't know how to train a wreck, do tell me more.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2014, 10:56:22 PM »

Just let it go.  Please, let it go.

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2014, 12:50:43 AM »

oh wow
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2014, 12:53:13 AM »
Everyone who's posted in this thread is now banned.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2014, 12:58:53 AM »
Not again.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2014, 01:52:49 AM »
How's Her?

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2014, 07:36:12 AM »
It's fascinating to me how having a little distance from a movie can give you a different perspective. I walked out of American Hustle thinking it was a really good movie, but in the days that followed my opinion of it began to sour. On the other hand, I walked out of 'Inside Llewyn Davis' thinking it was a really good movie, and now I consider it to be a great one. The difference I feel is that the latter gave me more to dig into, more to think about. It's the same reason I keep returning to films like Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, or There Will be Blood. They're films with enough depth to let you swim around in. Try to dive into a film like American Hustle though and you'll no doubt appreciate the performances, but you'll touch bottom pretty quickly.

Luckily I couldn't care less about the Oscars.
Gouge away.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2014, 01:51:33 PM »
How's Her?

I'd prefer people to go in fresh to this movie as I was basically able to. I'd read some reviews for it a few months back but had forgotten a lot of what was said when I finally saw. With this warning in place, I'll give you my thoughts on it and try to stay as spoiler free as possible but I will mention some things that occur in the movie. You've been warned.

First, it is such a unique film. I just can't figure out what to compare it with. At the same time, it is odd in that I'm not sure it really turns over any new ground. While the premise of the movie is a man falling in live with a computer or artificial intelligence and thus may seem to be about our ever increasing dependence on technology or communicating mainly through it, it is really an examination of love and how it affects a person. Yet in both those points mentioned, as I've thought about the movie since, I feel like these things have probably been done before. I mean there's plenty of movies that have focused on love. It is to the movie's credit that when watching it, it still feels so fresh and new as if this is the first time cinema has examined this subject.

I think it helps with the way the movie sort of floats along. I've been reading some criticisms people have of this movie. People feel it dragged or that it felt bland looking. Personally, I loved it. I found it gave the movie a bit of a dreamy quality. Most of the images and scens have light pastoral colors which I think are the best representation of how one sees the world when in love. The slower pace gives you more time to sort of go through the same emotions as the main character and also to react a bit to what you are watching.

The main character himself is a man lost and adrift. At one point, his new operating system, Samantha, starts organizing his computer and mentions he has a lot of contacts and must be pretty popular. Yet, we never really see that. By my count, I think he only talks to 7 other people throught the movie. He's a man who's become isolated and isn't sure who he is anymore or if life has passed him by. As he says to one character (which I'll try and paraphrase frm memory) he feels as if he has experienced every emotion he can to their fullest and all that is left for him is to keep experiencing those emotions but at a lesser amount. That was something that stuck with me since as one gets older, it is definitely something you start to wonder. Has the best in life already come and gone? It's another reason why I love the cinematography and pace of the movie because it just helps put us further into this characters mindset. Finally, as far as I'm concerned Joaquin Phoenix should win the Best Actor Oscar. However, he's not nominated which I think is the biggest error the Oscars made this year. No other performance impressed me more this year. The range of emotions he was able to express and make you feel alongside with him despite having a disembodied voice to work with as a partner is top notch. I'd compare it to Colin Firth in The King's Speech which was the last time I was so impressed by a performance after seeing a movie.

This is one of the few movies this year where the music stood out for me as well partly because it stops a couple times to focus on it and bring it to the forefront but it all blends in so well and helps keep you in the atmosphere of this film.

The biggest hurdle most people seem to have with this movie and maybe be its weakest link is in the artifical intelligece of Samantha. I've seen many people complain about how unreal it was and how advanced it had to be. I admit, when it first boots up and appears, I didn't expect it to be at the level it was. I thought the movie might take some time for it to adapt and keep learning about its human user. While some of that does happen, it starts out of the gate at being able to recognize human emotion in the sound of a person's voice. I guess you could compare it a bit to the H.A.L. 9000 unit. Regardless, after a few moments of disbelief about it, I just accepted it as being advanced from the get-go and just went back to following the main character's journey. That's why I say the movie is more about reflections of love and how we all can attach our emotions on to various things and how that affects us. However, other can see it differently.

While the Samantha system also has a journey from where she/it begins to the end, her journey is not as well fleshed out and, at times, I'm not sure you ever quite believe she is really feeling these emotions or understand her thinking. Nor may you care for how that journey ends. Maybe it is having watched Data on ST:TNG always try to understand human emotion but never able to (without his emotion chip) that it just seems hard to see an aritificial intelligence develop a consciousness so fast that it could be experiencing emotions so rapidly. Frankly, at some points, I just though of it all as a long-distance romance with the main character just on the phone with Samantha. That is probably what the film is going for anyways. To make us view Samantha as a real person like the main character does despite not being able to see her. As I watched the movie, I had a couple ideas of how I thought it might end and while it comes close to both of them a bit, it still ended in a different way than expected.

All in all, I loved the atmosphere, the tone, the main character's journey and the different points to ponder about life and love when it was over. While I'd like to bring up more of them, I am trying to keep from saying too much and spoil it for anyone. I would like to add a congratulations to Chris Pratt though for having now apppeared in an Oscar nominated Best Picture for 3 years in a row. I didn't know he was in this movie until he appeared onscreen. If anyone else watches Parks and Recreation, you should know how mindblowing that is if you know his character Andy and even a bit of how he is in real life. Not the sort of person you'd ever think of to have pulled off a rare feat like that. Probably helps that Best Picture nominations have gone from 5 to a potential 10 a year.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2014, 02:27:27 PM »
I don't know if anyone is particularly looking for them but as NWR's Preeminent Film Critic Top Blowhard, I'll give another review for one of these films. Since I posted what I had ranked as number 1, I'll talk abit about number 9, Dallas Buyer's Club. Warning: Spoilers to come.

This is a film that has some interesting ideas/points and yet doesn't do much much with them, leaves things unexplained and, even worse, undercuts them in the end.

First off, I went expecting to see Matthew McConaughey (called MM from now on) to be in full health and become the scraggly weight lost person you see in the ads. But he starts from the get-go in that condition. It left me wondering if the guy had always looked like that or had looked different in life. No character ever seems to say anything about his health or ask if he was alright despite the fact that you can't help but think he looks unhealthy from the beginning of the movie.

Anyways, the movie doesn't take too long to tell him he has AIDS and will die in a month. His first response seems to be hookers and crack which makes for an odd mixture of discomfort. How many people was he responsible for infecting? The guy clearly looked sick yet had avoided going to get a check-up until he was finally taken to the hospital and disgonosed in the start of the movie. But the movie glosses over that culpability. And while the character looks on at the prostitutes, he never does have sex with them but again, I can't help wonder if that was really true in real life especially since he's clearly drinking and using drugs which is going to lower his inhibitions and reasoning power. However, it does cause him to bring up to a friend how he was diagnosed with AIDS but thinks the doctors must have got it wrong. However, this secret spreads very fast and suddenly he is being rejected by everybody he knows because of the AIDS diagnosis.

MM does some reasearch on the matter, learns about a drug being tested to treat AIDS and wants it but is rejected by the hospital. He then finds a way to smuggle some out from the hospital and eventually is lead to Mexico as the place to find this drug freely available. In Mexico, he is told the drug being tested will make him worse and is given a different prescription. He goes back to the U.S. and starts selling that to other people affected by AIDS and starts fighting the U.S. FDA about their process for accepting drugs and being able to take whatever treatment he wants.

Now, there are some interesting things there that could make a really interesting movie but the film never handles them well. For instance, the whole Buyer's Club is set up to work around the legal system and supply these drugs to anybody without actually being a drug dealer. MM insists that anyone who joins the club must pay the required $400 membership fee. It then raised the question of where is the money going? Most I'd assume is going into the business of procuring more drugs and paying for the business expenses.

Still, I couldn't help but wonder if MM's character was also profiting a bit on the side and if so, by how much and for whom or why? Along the way, he's shown some generosity by others but there's never really a big moment where he seems to pay it back as it were. Sure, he fights for the issue in court but it directly affects him. It's not like he's doing it because he's moved by someone else's plight. Near the end, someone can't afford the membership fee but he waves off the difference. That's about as close as I recall the film getting to him returning the generosity. There's no Schindler moment like when Oscar Schindler looks at all the money he has made and has the opportunity to take it and go but spends it all in order to save the lives of all the Jews he can. I suppose you can make the arguement that he does transform in the fact that he loses his prejudice towards the gay community and befriends them but the movie doesn't deliver that point much except for a couple scenes and he still seems to be treating most people as customers.

And now, big spoilers ahead, I guess. I want to talk about the biggest thing that sabatoges the film and why I rank it last. There's a drug being introduced by a drug company that needs testing in order to be approved by the FDA. So, this is done by the hospital and medical supervision. The drug is known to have some side effects and the drug company just seems to want to get it passed and sell it to the public as soon as possible. It is this drug that MM's character is told is harmful and he is rallying against. As he starts shipping in and adminstering other drugs to people through his DBC, the hospital starts waging a war on him to get him shut down since people aren't applying for the drug and to get tested. The FDA gets involved by banning some of the drugs he has so they can confiscate them and keep him from administering them to him. MM's character keeps fighting against the FDA approved drug and even gets Jennifer Garner's character to start joining him in the fight. The film raises the question then of why a dying man can't seek and have any treatment he wishes. After all, he will be dead one way or the way so what is the harm? In the end, the court rules against him and his ability to obtain unapproved sources of medication.

Then in the end credits when a few messages come up to sum up the rest of the tale such as the fact that MM's character lived 7 - 9 years later than his 1 month diagnosis, it then mentions that a much better treatment was found from the FDA appoved drug applied at a smaller dosage. The drug that he was fighting against the whole time is proved to be right? What is this movie now? A cautionary tale of uninformed individuals seeking their own medical treatments? Was he doing more harm than good in the end? If he hadn't been fighting against the FDA approved drug and presenting his own source of medical treatment, would that have sped up testing of the drug? Would it have led to better breakthroughs? In the end, the court seems to be fully justified in ruling against a dying person seeking out whatever medical treatment they wanted since it could create more situations like this.

A mess of a film. I never warmed up much to the main character. I found the rest of the characters uninteresting including Jared Leto's character. Nothing stands out musically. Uninspired cinematography. Aside from the beginning when MM's character receives what is a death sentence and the film has some immediacy with how he handles his changed circumstances, there's little to recommend. Bleh.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2014, 10:42:25 PM »
Wanted to update my list now that I've seen all the movies:

9. Captain Phillips
8. Nebraska
7. 12 Years a Slave
6. Dallas Buyers Club
5. American Hustle
4. Philomena
3. Gravity
2. Wolf of Wall Street
1. Her

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2014, 12:25:13 AM »
Interesting. We're both in agreement with Her and Gravity as top films. American Hustle is a close to the middle choice for us. I've got it 4 and you are directly middle with it at 5. I get why you would like Wolf of Wall Street. I fully admit it is an engrossing, high-energy movie and has a lot of crazy moments. You seem to like Philomena in the way I liked Nebraska and we are both down on 12 Years a Slave.

What I'm most curious about is why you rank DBC at 6 and have Phillips down at 9. My views on DBC are mostly posted here in my review. I'm curious to hear your take and opinion on these choices.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2014, 02:42:25 PM »
I like Captain Phillips.  I really do.  But the midway shift in the tone of the film is a bit harsh.  It's like a completely different movie.  I'm also not too sweet on the ending.  It was cool, but still felt sudden, even with all the suspense.  I just don't think it'll be a movie that sticks with me.  Going in to the movie, and knowing the premise, the build up to the actual meat of the movie takes too long.  Also, the accent is weird.  It sticks out through the entire movie.

Personally, I think you're way too harsh on DBC.  By your own admission, you say that the movie raises a lot of questions,  but that's part of the what makes the movie good.  The film is very critical of the FDA and the pharmaceutical industry as a whole.  It shows how the FDA blocks drugs that have been tested and proven safe from other countries and, instead, approves drugs that are harmful to its users because drug companies need to rush them out and earn profits. 

I don't know how you can't relate to MM's character.  I get that he's homophobic and very ignorant about HIV/AIDS, but almost nobody wasn't ignorant about it.  Was he really skinny before the diagnosis?  Yeah, but you also learn that he's a bit of a coke head.  In the scene you referred to with the prostitute, MM is clearly trying to come to terms with his condition, so he goes to his usual comforts: booze, drugs, and whores.  Then he decides not to have sex with them, admitting that he has the disease and that maybe he shouldn't spread it around.  Then he becomes a man who's essentially been betrayed by an industry that's supposed to make him well and instead tells him he's dying and that maybe he could maybe get a drug that could maybe help him maybe.

So, he takes the whole thing into his own hands and starts his Buyers Club.  You wanted to know where the money was going? Why?  That was pretty inconsequential to me.  I assumed he was paying rent on the place they were using, coercing people to buy in to his arrangement, and saving up to buy that house that he bought towards the end.  He also had a lawyer, so there's that. 

Going back to the morality, I don't think the movie could completely paint the system as completely corrupt and ineffective at its stated mission.  The epilogue showed, to me at least, how long the FDA approved drug would've taken just to get it down to not actually killing people.  I don't think the movie could get away with "Hey, breaking the law is right thing to do!" as its message, so there's ambiguity there.  Was he doing the right thing?  Well, he was doing what he had to to survive, and brought that opportunity to others.  The system worked eventually, but it's still obviously broken.

Also, Jared Leto was amazing.  You're soulless.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2014, 11:29:57 PM »
A reply to Nickmitch so, yes, there will probably be spoilerish elements about DBC here. You've been warned.

Ha ha ha. Soulless? Maybe in this instance. But I will counter with another movie. I'm not sure if you saw Rush yet but when it comes to supporting characters in a movie, Daniel Bruhl's character of Niki Lauda is probably the one that sticks with me the most this year and I think a far more moving person/character than Jared Leto's. When I think of the two, I have no problem saying he was unmemorable. His character seemed like any other character in a film who represents a person or group that a main character hates or dislikes but by their plucky attitude and spirit and helpfulness, they form a bond of friendship and help each other learn. Maybe. I'm not sure what Leto's character may have learned from MM's but I'm not too worried about that at this point.

The most memorable thing about Leto's character is when he dresses as a man to see his dad and how unnatural he looks after seeing him as a woman most of the movie. His admittance to his dad that he's dying is maybe the strongest moment for the character. And yet even from that, we know the dad gives Leto some money but that's it. He doesn't tell MM anything much about how he got it nor is there any family reconnection afterwards. Thinking about it, MM's character may have been able to help a bit in a reconciliation since he was working so much with Leto's character in helping people and was a straight guy who may have been better able to connect with Leto's father on life. But, as I've said before, the film just brings up and glosses over many things without doing many of them well.

I did connect with MM's character in thinking what if I had to go through that scary (and really even today it is still a scary situation) of contracting AIDS and being told you would die soon with no cure available. That said, I'm not a person who will turn to booze, drugs and hookers for solace or entertainment. So, maybe you can think of me as judgemental but when people are doing unhealthy things, especially when they know such things could further harm or kill them like drugs, it's hard to be sympathetic towards such ones. You can look at it as saying he's going to die anyways so if that's how he wants to go out, that's his business but, personally, if it was me, I wouldn't want to go out in a hazy, blurry, debouched stupor. I'd want my mind clear and able to focus and just appreciate all I can in that time. Obviously, MM's character does become a fighter and cleans up his act to save his life as long as he can but I guess the start of the movie just put me off from connecting with him right away. Then, like I say, the movie almost undercuts his whole fight in the end with it's final messages of the other drug actually working out fine.

Yes, I have no problem admitting that the movie raises good questions and yes, when I think of DBC, I think of those questions raised especially on the FDA. However, I don't think the movie painted it as entirely corrupt rather just how broken it is. I say that because, at the end, I had to agree with a couple things in the FDA's favor. You agree there's ambiguity so that is probably the reason why we have different takes on it. I have no issues with ambiguity in a movie. However, in this case, I think it springs about more from an unfocused story than anything deliberate on the parts of the filmmaker. And again, when I think of DBC, I just think of the issues it raised and posed but I don't think anything about the characters or people in it so I just don't think it that strong a movie.

The reasons I like movies so much and do see them as great art is that like a painting or a story, it can evoke a mood and make you think on things you might not consider, it can move you and can make you reflect on yourself. You might not have thought about the money but I guess I did because of the way I am and think. I'm not going to get hung up on that bit but I bring it up because it affected a bit of how I saw the movie. It didn't for you and it's another reason why we have a different stance on it. That's fine by me. It's why I like to discuss things like this and see what other people thought about it.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2014, 11:56:45 PM »
As for Captain Philips, it reminds me of Warhorse from a couple years ago. Warhorse was a movie that fit perfectly into my number 5 spot as well. It was a good movie and I could easily recommend it but it did drag in the middle but the start and ending were very well done. It's a movie I could see myself jumping in and watching on TV again one day but it also wasn't a movie I'd actively seek out again. That's much the same as how I felt about Captain Philips.

I personally found it more interesting when the pirates were first trying to and later succeeding at raiding the ship and there was some cloak and dagger stuff going on. Later with Philips in the escape boat, while it was a bit tenser since the noose was coming around the pirates, that part dragged on a bit and became a bit more clichéd. There were times where I just couldn't believe the pirates didn't realize they were being set-up like when the Navy would make sure Philips was still in seat 15. Still, that ending with Hanks in shock was one of the most powerful moments I'd seen in movies that year.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2014, 09:11:41 PM »
I loved Rush.  It made my top 5 for the year.  I find it hard to call Niki Lauda a supporting character when he narrates much of the film, which is about two characters.

I think going down the road of Leto's character reconciling with his dad would've have been tired and cliche.  Playing up his drug addiction a little more would've been cool.  I kept getting the feeling that he was in love with MM, but starting seeing that other guy towards the end to avoid dying alone.

As for MM, I get that it's not the rout that you would go on, but that's how MM was rolling there.  We all handle those situations differently, and that was his way.

Plus, wasn't this based on a true story?  I think you're looking for story elements that just aren't there and aren't supposed to be.  It just seems like you're faulting the film for not being something else, instead of judging it for was it is.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
Well, here's my picks for the night. For the most part, I'm going with what seems to be the general consensus on things but I'm breaking away from the pack on a couple choices as well. Guess we'll see how I do at the end.

Best Picture: 12 Years a Slave (Not the choice I'd make)
Best Director: Cuaron
Best Actor: McConaughey
Best Actress: Blanchett
Best Supporting Actor: Leto
Best Supporting Actress: Nyong'o
Best Animated Movie: Frozen
Best Foreign Film: The Great Beauty
Best Original Screenplay: Her
Best Adapted Screenplay: 12 Years A Slave
Best Costume Design: The Great Gatsby
Best Song: Let It Go
Best Score: Her
Best Documentary: 20 Feet From Stardom
Best Documentary Short: The Lady in Number 6
Best Make-up: Dallas Buyers Club (Although Jackass may actually be more deserving)
Best Production Design: The Great Gatsby
Best Film Editing: American Hustle
Best Cinematography: Gravity
Best Sound Editing: Gravity
Best Sound Mixing: Gravity
Best Visual Effects: Gravity
Best Animated Short: Get a Horse (Best thing about Frozen)
Best Short Film: The Voorman Problem

(Broke from the pack on the choices for Score, Costume Design and Editing.)

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
Out of all the nominees the only movie I would be excited to watch again is The Wolf of Wall Street. What can I say? It's exactly what I want in a movie.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Great show tonight.  I really enjoyed Ellen as the host.  I think all the awards were very well deserved, though I would've liked to see Leonardo DiCaprio win.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Grownups 2 was robbed!

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
Well, 20 out of 24 from the list I posted. Not bad but I actually did better against some friends I watched the show with last night. On the ballots we filled out, I did stick with Gravity for Best Editing and went with Helium as Best Live Short getting 22/24. A new personal best. That's what I get with trying to be clever on here though.

Can't believe Get a Horse didn't win. Everywhere I looked, it seemed to be a lock. Once in awhile, I'll post a list of movies that absolutely need to be seen in 3D and that little short is on my list. I thought it was absolutely fantastic and it is a shame the movie that followed after couldn't reach the same heights of cleverness as it. I also don't care for the Let It Go song and thought it was one of the weaker parts. Fast forwarded through that last night. (Although I fastforwarded through all the songs. It's a long show. Cut to cut down time somehow) Then again, the only song I really enjoyed was In Summer so maybe it is just my taste in music. A couple others were alright but nothing in the film was as catchy as pretty much any song in the Lion King.

One thing being talked about from the show is the retweeted Twitter picture of Ellen and a bunch of celebrities. If you were watching the show last night, I think the punchline to that set-up was sort of missed. It started with Ellen coming up to Meryl Streep to take a picture together on twitter and then she added another celebrity and another and then it became a big crowd. Ellen starts saying that she can't get everyone in the shot and then asks Meryl Streep if she can stand and take the picture. The joke being that she started with Meryl and now Meryl is the one out of the picture. However, Bradley Cooper just offers to take the picture and with his outstretched reach, gets most people in the shot. Thus, the joke just sort of gets lost in the shuffle and I don't think anyone realized that was part of it. Of course, I could just be reading the situation wrong but I think if anyone were to watch that part again, it is what part of the intended purpose was along with the idea of setting a record. That's what happens when you involve people not in on the joke. Also, Kevin Spacey has the perfect position and face in that photo, I think.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 05:07:16 PM by Khushrenada »

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
First - kudos on your epic predictions.

Second - you're reading way too much into the selfie thing. It was just a selfie. I don't worship anyone in Hollywood or anything, but it is a pretty awesome picture. Ellen did a really good job hosting.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
haha I saw that too Khush. I was cracking up. But you can't force a joke. And the intended outcome was still the same even if it was less funny.

EDIT:

I might as well add what I thought of Ellen. While she wasn't cracking jokes and taking shots at celebrities she definitely made it more comfortable. Oscars tend to be up their own asshole. She made it less so.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 10:01:40 PM by Stogi »

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
Any thoughts on the BAFTAs, seeing as that was a few weeks back?

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2017, 05:50:07 PM »
Any thoughts on the BAFTAs, seeing as that was a few weeks back?

No thoughts on the BAFTAs as I generally don't pay attention to them. Although they may have some crossover with the Oscars, they hew their own path with their choices and nominations just like the Golden Globes.

But that isn't the reason why I bumped this thread. Normally by the end of January, I'd have put up an Oscar thread (and I will be putting one up for the upcoming Oscars this Sunday), however, it wasn't until the first week of February before I was able to see all the nominated films this year which delayed my creating it. Plus, I wanted to take a look back at the past few threads I've created for the Oscars to see where things stand on the passing of time. Having had a chance to see more movies that were released for that year of the Oscars since the time I've created these threads made me curious how I'd rank them along with the Oscar nominated films.

Thus, over the course of the week, I'll be doing a look back at the past 3 years as well as then looking ahead to the upcoming Oscars for this year. So, I guess this is Oscars Week on NWR. Let's get your movie talk on. Perhaps it can help get that movie forum idea more credibility. One can dream, right?

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2017, 07:24:36 PM »
First up, the 2014 Oscars are actually for movies released in 2013. So, what movies have I seen from 2013? For those interested in contributing and joining in this movie talk, you can get a list of 2013 releases from IMDB here or the Movie Insider here which does a little bit better of a job in tracking documentaries and foreign films although I'm not sure it's a perfect list either. In any case, reviewing 2013, I come up the following list:

Oz: The Great and Powerful
Emperor
Spring Breakers
The Incredible Burt Wonderstone
To The Wonder
Oblivion
Iron Man 3
The Great Gatsby
Star Trek: Into Darkness
Before Midnight
Now You See Me
After Earth
Man of Steel
The Bling Ring
Monsters University
The Heat
The Lone Ranger
Pacific Rim
Fruitvale Station
Red 2
Blue Jasmine
Elysium
The World's End
Riddick
Prisoners
Enough Said
Battle of the Year
Rush
Gravity
Captain Philips
12 Years a Slave
All is Lost
Thor: The Dark World
The Wolf of Wall Street
Her
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire
Nebraska
Frozen
Inside Llewyn Davis
Dallas Buyer's Club
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
American Hustle
Saving Mr. Banks
Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues
August: Osage County
Philomena
From Up on Poppy Hill
Frances Ha
20 Feet From Stardom
The Great Beauty
The Hunt
The Act of Killing
Blackfish
In A World...
Short Term 12
A.C.O.D.
I Give it a Year

Huh. Not sure if that's impressive or depressing. I didn't expect the list to get that big.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 06:22:35 PM by Khushrenada »

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
Re: 2014 Oscars. Ranking the movies and your opinions on the 2013 movie scene.
« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2017, 09:20:50 PM »
Now despite watching all those films, are there any from 2013 I'd still want to watch? I suppose so. I know that at some point, Fast and Furious 6 will be added to that list as I make my way through that series. Currently have seen the first 4 and need to see 5 next. The Grandmaster was nominated for Cinematography and I was always kind of interested in its story and have come close to watching it a couple times. I know Upstream Color got a lot of positive reviews from critics though it doesn't always translate to me liking a film but it appeared on a few best of 2013 lists to make me keep it in mind. Those are probably the movies that hold the most interest for me.

Going through the list of movies released States-side that I'd be willing to give a chance to or are just curious about because of their reception, I'm left with these:

Gangster Squad - With La La Land and Crazy Stupid Love, I'm curious about this 3rd pairing of Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling that I haven't seen plus I'm curious to see how this part of L.A. history is told having seen Bugsy which involved Cohen and L.A. Confidential which built off of this period.

Broken City - Russell Crowe and Mark Wahlberg are in it and it's some fight against corruption but I'm willing to give it a chance based on the leads.

A Good Day to Die Hard - If I ever get around to watching all the Die Hard movies then I'll probably see this at some point too.

Dark Skies - I remember being intrigued by the trailer but then forgetting all about the movie after its release. I think it was a mildly positive critical reception but based on the trailer I'd still be willing to check it out.

42 - This is one of the better critically received movies on this list that I haven't gotten around to. It's got Harrison Ford in it which is another plus even if his career is more spotty these days then his 70's to early 90's run. It's just a case of knowing some of the stats of Jackie Robinson's career and life already so I've put off watching something you kind of know the story of or how it will turn out.

Mud - Part of the Matthew McConaissance when MM was suddenly regarded as a good actor. This was one of the first movies to hit this year giving him critical acclaim on the way to his Oscar win and later Emmy Nomination for True Detective. Nothing about the trailer or plot really interested me though but the critical acclaim means I've never fully dismissed the chance of one day seeing the film.

World War Z - This was regarded as a Zombie saturation point and a movie that may have finally killed people's interest in the zombie genre. It didn't get much love from critics or fans so, of course, I'm partially curious as to just how bad it is since it still did quite well at the box office and rumours of a sequel still pop up.

Grown-ups 2 - Every once in awhile, I will still watch an Adam Sandler film even though they've been quite terrible for years. Despite the first Grown-ups getting panned which I've yet to see also, it got a sequel and it's the only Sandler film concept to get a sequel leading to even worse reviews so I'm curious as to how bad it is. I could get into a bigger discussion of Sandler movies if I'm not careful but I find them oddly fascinating in their construction these days.

The Wolverine - Perhaps someday I'll catch up on The Wolverine side of movies but my only real association to this character has been through the X-Men movies and while his presence is welcome enough in them, the character has never wowed me to the point of wanting to watch the spin-off Wolverine franchise.

The Spectacular Now - One of the last movies Roger Ebert reviewed before he died. He was positive on the movie and it has Miles Teller who I kind of like and Shailene Woodley who am not as sold on. Again, there's nothing about the subject matter that's compelled me to check it out but I've always had some curiosity on it because of Ebert.

Lee Daniel's The Butler - Was positively received but nothing that really sounded compelling to me aside from seeing how the different presidents are portrayed. Just always looked and felt a bit stodgy or stifling from pictures and clips to make me work up the energy to watch it.

The Fifth Estate - Simply because Fatty The Hutt posted a quick review for it back when it came out and he was the only person I seemed to see on the internet to be positive about the movie so it's made me curious about what kind of movies he likes.

Escape Plan - Supposed to be terrible but it has Jim Caviezel in it and thanks to Person of Interest I'm willing to give it a shot just for more psudo-Reese in my life. Plus, Schwarzenegger and Stallone partner up in it for their first movie together if I recall right. Kind of curious just how the dialogue in this movie would sound with Arnold's accent, Stallone's mumbling and Caviezel's whispering.

Ender's Game - I've heard of this title a lot and know it is part of a book series so I'm curious as to just what it's story is all about and it's another movie with Harrison Ford in it to hopefully provide some scowling and prickly entertainment.

The Book Thief - Again, based of a pretty popular book so I'm curious what the story is to save myself the time of actually reading the book.

Now, if I never see any of those movies, it ain't really going to bother me. When it comes to movies I really want to see, 2013 seems to be covered for me. Perhaps someone will have a recommendation for one of these or something not listed or a strong warning to skip one of these ones I have listed as I'd be open to hearing more thoughts on them. That's where I currently stand when it come to films of 2013.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2017, 11:33:17 PM »
As for the films of 2013 I have watched, let me break them down a bit for you all. Starting with the lesser movies. But first a message or disclaimer if you will about these movies.

A few years back, around 2012, PBS tried to restart a Siskel & Ebert type movie review show titled At The Movies. It still had Roger Ebert's involvement but the main critics were Christy Lemaire and Ignatiy Vishnevetsky who's reviews can be found on the A.V. Club. Now, I personally thought the set of critics in Michael Phillips and A.O. Scott were a great duo and the best match to Siskel & Ebert when they were hosting the show for the last couple years before it was cancelled by ABC and I had wished they had kept them for the reboot as I think it might have gone better.

Regardless, over time, Ignatiy was the critic who won me over more and I liked his viewpoint on things. At one point, as the show was trying to find ways to keep an audience, they started taking some viewer mail and a question they were asked is if they ever walked out of a movie and if so, which one. If I can recall correctly, Ignatiy said he hadn't and mentioned a quote from a filmmaker who said something along the lines that one can find a little something worthwhile in any film if they look for it. Ignatiy may have joked that it can be a bit harder to find in some movies than others but sort of found it true. I tried searching to see if I could find that quote but I was unable to. Still, that idea, whether I'm remembering it right or not, has stuck with me. And truthfully, even in some movies I really hated, there might have been a scene or two that kind of worked or just some element that was interesting or kind of worthwhile. Maybe it's just a case that something semi-decent sticks out more when surrounded by utter dreck but the fact that it does stick it or does somehow work I think still deserves some praise and makes me wonder if there is a way to figure out why. A movie science, if you will, of why a little bit of a film can work when everything else wasn't able to succeed.

I bring up this long introduction because even though the following list of movies are ones I feel you could safely skip in life and not really miss anything, I can't fully write them off as there still might be something in them that could appeal to a person. They don't deserve to necessarily be destroyed but there's also a good chance you won't remember them a few months later so it's like they were erased from history anyways.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2017, 11:34:06 PM »
Here are the bland and not-so-good:

I Give It a Year - Maybe you could argue that I didn't give the movie a fair shake since I'd finished watching something else and then went to my computer to do something else while it started playing. It's opening beginning with Stephen Merchant giving a horrible toast at a wedding was enough to keep my interest but then I regretted that as the movie kept playing. I'd alternate between watching the movie or listening to it a bit as did stuff on my computer waiting to see how it would finally all play out. Miserable people in a marriage doesn't always make for a great comedy. Darn you, Stephen Merchant!

A.C.O.D. - I was interested in this movie because it had Adam Scott and Amy Poehler in it and I'm a big Parks and Recreation fan. Plus, it was reviewed highly on the Roger Ebert website but this was a lesson in learning I really couldn't go by the opinions of other reviewers on that site with Roger Ebert now dead. Sadly, the movie never lived up to expectations. I can't say I really found anything about it funny and it's pretty much all vanished from my head. I watched a trailer of it again just now and it sort of triggered a couple memories but it was almost like watching it for the first time. Very, very forgettable.

In A World.... - This has a 92% rating on Rotten Tomatoes and seemed to be well received but the movie just didn't click with me. While it was different to have a bit of insight or focus on the world of voice-overs and made a couple points that have stuck with me, I'd have forgotten that I'd even watched it had I not found in listed among movies released in 2013. It didn't bore me and it engrossed me enough as I watched it, I suppose. Some may like it better than I but there are a lot of other films I'd suggest watching instead of it.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2017, 11:34:22 PM »
20 Feet of Stardom - I found this movie a struggle to get through. First, I'm really not a fan of documentaries. I don't know what it is but I always feel like I have to psych myself up to watch them. One like this doesn't help in making me embrace this genre. Amazingly, this movie won Best Documentary at the Oscars and it basically consists of some back-up singers recounting the famous songs they song vocals on and then lamenting how they either couldn't get a career on their own or that musicians don't seem to use back-up singers in songs these days like they used to so could someone please give them a job? I suppose for some music lovers, this bit of history that they may have been unaware could be of interest but it was a case for me of wondering how much longer the movie still had to go. Because I really didn't like it, that strong emotion has helped me remember it better than something like A.C.O.D. so it has that going for it but I still forget about it until Oscar time and then the Documentary category stirs up its memory again.

August: Osage County - Streep and Roberts were nominated for their performances and admittedly they have their moments though its more Streep than Roberts that holds your attention. I personally found Benedict Cumberbatch of more interest because it might have been the only time I'd seen him play someone who is relatively normal or at least without arrogance or some mental quirks. He's a bumbling, mild-mannered type and I thought it was proof that he could play something beyond the Sherlock persona he often seems cast to play. Ultimately, my problem with the movie is one that stems from a lot of films based of plays in that it can feel artificial at times and/or whatever its message or theme might be just goes over my head or doesn't connect. Like Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf which left me scratching my head as to what it was all about or Fences which I'll talk about later this week but felt like people in a play and not real life. So, it is with August: Osage County. Not sure what the story was meant to accomplish so it ultimately feels a bit pointless.

Dallas Buyer's Club - I'll admit your mileage on this one may vary. You can see Nickmitch and I discuss it in more depth earlier in this thread. He liked it more than I did. As I said in my intro, there are worth while moments in this movie. But when I see it on my list of movies I've watched, my first reaction is a negative one and to dismiss it. Thus, when it comes to recommending it, I have a hard time to do so because I'm just not a fan of it. Yet, as I said before, I don't deny this film raises some interesting points about determining treatment for one's self and how the FDA works as well as the mindset of the early 80's and being sticken with AIDS and the fear and discrimination it caused. I just don't let the package its presented in.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2017, 11:35:07 PM »
Thor: The Dark World - I've found the Thor movies to be pretty weak so far. It's one reason why I'm not that excited about the upcoming third Thor movie. If you like Marvel movies or Thor's portrayal so far then you'll probably find much appeal to this movie but it's on the blander side for me and while I still remember much about it, none of what I remember really strikes me as fun. While better than the first one, based on my recollections, at least I can remember the first one had ice stickmen as the villains but I honestly cannot picture or recall the villain in this one. I know there was something to do with different worlds opening up all over at the end but what the purpose of that was I also cannot recall. Probably the biggest offender in the Marvel Films Have Weak Villains criticism.

12 Years A Slave - Yes, it won Best Picture so others would probably argue against my skip it recommendation but I've just never understood how others have seen this as some kind of masterwork. It's been said that the movie shows how slavery broke a person's spirit down piece by piece but I never got that. It just seemed to show that, surprise, there was a lot that people suffered in slavery. Now, I'm not trying to dismiss that suffering. It's just that there have been other movies that have depicted slavery and have shown its inhumanity before and nothing about this movie struck me as new. It didn't change my feelings towards it like, "Wow, I always though slaves had it kind of good before. Man, was I wrong!" There was one scene where Fassbender's character confronts Ejiofor's character, Solomon Northup, because of news he has learned about him. Solomon gives Fassbender a panicked explanation and he accepts it but it never struck me as believable. I just didn't buy Fassbender's character accepting Solomon's explanation considering his actions up to that point and the way Solomon acts in the scene. Frankly, Fassbender's character sometimes seemed over the top to be believable also.

For that matter, same with some of the suffering depicted. One thing that has stuck with me is a scene where some slaves are dancing or playing music in Fassbender's house. Lupita's character is really getting into dancing and, at some point, a glass bottle is hurled into her face and breaks on impact. Maybe I am the worst because I almost felt like laughing at that. It just came out of nowhere and seemed more like a comedic beat that a dramatic moment. When you stop and think about it in real life, you say, yeah that would be terrible but in the moment, it just came across as crazy and almost silly. Because of that unintended affect, it stayed with me because it was a misfire. Maybe it was a case of trying to show a lot of different ways that people were abused within just a couple hours of film time that it comes across as to excessive to seem over the top and thus lose some of its impact after awhile. The ending when he says his family again is kind of moving yet I thought Captain Phillips had the more powerful moment of a person suddenly decompressing from the trauma they had experienced.

In the end, the movie can be summed up by Solomon is sent to the south where he suffers and suffers and suffers as a slave and finally manages to luck out on reclaiming his freedom. It's a one-note film and my memory of it is that of hitting the same note of people being cruel to him and not really doing much else besides that. For that reason, I find it hard to recommend this film although people may disagree in that its one note is what makes it powerful and necessary to watch much like a movie about the holocaust. Yet, I would argue there that while the holocaust is also a subject that should not be dismissed or ignored, not all movies about it are equal and there are some worth watching over others that can make the same point. So, it is with 12 Years a Slave. Also, when I play quizzes with questions about Best Picture Winners, this movie and Argo are two of the more recent winners I always have trouble remembering that they won and when which just confirms my own bias that this movie isn't as powerful as people want to make it out to be.

Riddick - This was another case of watching a movie just because it was on the movie channel at the time. I came in a bit late to the movie where Riddick was fighting some people then began trying to traverse across some hostile land on a planet. That bit was kind of compelling enough that I kept watching. I haven't seen any of the other Riddick movies before and nothing about this one made me feel like they were worth checking out by the time it was over. I couldn't remember if it was this movie I had seen or Chronicles of Riddick but reading the synopsis of this film on Wikipedia reminded me that it was this one. Suddenly, a lot more moments of the movie came back to me while reading it over. Perhaps some may find it entertaining and despite its casual pace I still stuck with it to see where it would all go. It ended with silliness and a character's sudden about face to save the hero. A poor man's Yojimbo or A Fistful of Dollars. See those movies instead.