Author Topic: IT'S MAHVEL BAYBEE!! [OT] for the Marvel Cinematic Universe (Movies & TV)  (Read 1163336 times)

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
Got my 7:15 tickets. :D
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Did you save $5?

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
anyone else having trouble with embeded videos on chrome. I don't see any youtube posts on chrome, but I do see them when I'm on ie.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
anyone else having trouble with embeded videos on chrome. I don't see any youtube posts on chrome, but I do see them when I'm on ie.
I have that in Firefox and its AdBlock in that one.  Though Maxthon doesn't have the problem.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
Did you save $5?
Nope.  Already had my tickets and my local IMAX doesn't sell through Fandango.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
Gonna try to go tomorrow but on vacation in SC...
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
Got my 7:15 tickets. :D
Did you save $5?
Nope.  Already had my tickets and my local IMAX doesn't sell through Fandango.
We're both Central so, I will still be the first on on the Forum's to see more than 17 Minutes in Imax.  Fear my 15 Minutes of Superiority.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
I'm paying $0 to see it in 3D, any superiority in that?

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
I'm paying $0 to see it in 3D, any superiority in that?
Fiscal Superiority.  You can use your Fiscal responsibility to go forth and Consume in other facets of the Your Economy Stimulating Growth through Trickle Up.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
Re: IT'S MAHVEL BAYBEE!! [OT] for the Marvel Cinematic Universe (Movies & TV)
« Reply #934 on: August 01, 2014, 01:25:28 AM »
The movie was very acceptable.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: August 01, 2014, 02:28:28 AM »
The movie was very acceptable.

I was on the fence, but with glowing praise like that how could I refuse?
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #936 on: August 01, 2014, 09:32:47 AM »
I saw GotG in 3D Imax.  I have to say that if you can get a theater with equivalent sound than Imax save your money.  Unlike Pacific Rim the 3D in this movie had potential but they botched it.  It doesn't take away anything from the movie but it doesn't add enough for the cost.

Now to the movie itself.  Its excellently paced.  In the 2 hours and 2 minutes it has you moving from place to place and hitting different plot points.  Its very efficient and I don't really feel that there was any scene that ultimately didn't belong.

There is actually more payoff than I would have thought of seeing the extra scenes in the other movies.  Makes the MCU feel even more like a place and not a set of separate wholes.  I think they could have done more with the Big Bad and the Nova Corps but, I figure at least the Nova Corps will have a role in the next movie.

I thought there was suppose to be 2 during the credit scenes but, there is 1.  If you don't remember the 80's or know much about them I will admit that there are a lot of little things that will go right over your head and I don't know if your reflexes will be fast enough to catch them.

I think everyone did a good job with there roles in fact I think the weakest of the Guardians is Gamora, Zoe Saldana, while on the flipside the one everyone was most worried about, Dave Bautista, really fit his character well.

In the end I don't think this is Star Wars.  Its just not going to have that level of impact but, nothing ever will again because Star Wars exists.  I think this movie is excellent.  I really appreciate that it makes a point to not go as dark as it could have really easily gone. I'll go see the sequel and I hope they pop up in other movies.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #937 on: August 01, 2014, 10:35:08 AM »
There is a pre-credits scene and a post credits scene from what I heard.

Now that you've seem the movie, where would you rank it in the MCU?

And..... box office mojo had estimates for the weekend be $82M for GotG.
A new August record!!
http://boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3882&p=.htm

Forecast (Aug. 1-3)
1. Guardians of the Galaxy - $82 million
2. Lucy - $18.9 million (-57%)
3. Get on Up - $15.5 million
4. Hercules - $14 million (-53%)
5. Dawn/Apes - $9.6 million (-43%)

Coming off a remarkably slow month at the box office, Guardians of the Galaxy should get things back on the right track this weekend. The 10th movie in the "Marvel Cinematic Universe" will likely set a new August record, and could even come close to matching last year's Thor: The Dark World.
[...]
 Fandango reports that Guardians of the Galaxy is their biggest August pre-seller ever, and also indicated that it's out-selling the first Thor and Captain America: The First Avenger. It seems like a safe bet, at this point, that the movie tops The Bourne Ultimatum ($69.3 million) to set an August opening weekend record.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 10:53:43 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #938 on: August 01, 2014, 11:08:39 AM »
What I think people are calling a Pre-Credit scenes feels just like another part of the movie. 

Hasn't felt like a Year with the PS4... Anyway.

Honestly think that this is probably the best paced of the MCU.  I don't think it will have the lasting impact of the other MCU movies.  On the flipside it does feel a lot more self-standing then the other movies.  Personally I probably put it below the original Captain America.  That make it #2 for me.  I just think its a better overall package then most the other movies.  Even though I think there are individual pieces that the other movies might have done better.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 12:21:43 PM by Ceric »

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: August 01, 2014, 11:15:48 AM »
I'm not sure I'd go about ranking all the movies in an exact order, but it's one of the best.  I'd put it in the top 1/3 with Cap 1 & 2 and Avengers.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #940 on: August 01, 2014, 12:20:39 PM »
My standing as of right now are

Cap2 < The Avengers < Iron Man < everything else.

I expect my top 3 to expand to a Top 4 followed by "everything else".

and in other news:

Box Office Late Nights: ‘Guardians Of The Galaxy’ Highest Of 2014 With $11.2M
http://www.deadline.com/2014/08/box-office-preview-guardians-of-the-galaxy-expected-to-rock-et-the-down-low-on-get-on-up/
The Star Lord has arrived — I’m speaking not of the industry’s new superstar Chris Pratt, but of writer/director James Gunn as Guardians of the Galaxy has rocketed in late nights soaring to $11.2M which is north of Captain America: The Winter Soldier‘s Thursday’s for Disney/Marvel — and for the rest of the industry which is laying hopes that the summer offering will boost box office out of its slump. It started its late nights at 7 p.m. The Captain went onto gross $95M in its opening weekend. Guardians could easily do $40M tonight for an $80M to $90M+ weekend as the tracking with kids is very strong … which means family moviegoing day should help boost the picture from being only front-loaded.

IMAX’s 354 screens generated $1.9M (or 17%) of last night’s gross, which accounts for the biggest August pre-release ever for IMAX; it’s also the second-best advance Thursday for Disney or a Marvel title for IMAX behind only Iron Man 3.

Very promising numbers. Assuming WoM is as good as it has been (89% on RT w/ over 70something reviews in - and quite a few of the negative reviews are questionable, but to each their own), this should easily surpass the first Cap & Thor and actually get within spitting range of Thor 2 if not better.

Current August Record is $69M held by Bourne (I believe), and this is tracking at $70M-$82M+
and IMAX was estimating it overperforming over projections.... so this could possibly crack $85M+ and do some very impressive numbers, not only for a debut, but a movie in August.

That MCU brand is potent. I can't wait for Sunday to come. I'm super juiced to watch this movie.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #941 on: August 01, 2014, 12:50:07 PM »
Phase 1 & Phase 2 Recap (from SDCC)

sogood.gif
nothingstopsthistrain.gif

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: August 01, 2014, 12:53:45 PM »
yourdamnright.gif

Based Marvel is killing it.  Now I want to see a fan made version of this with clips from the one shots ad agents of shield spliced in.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #943 on: August 01, 2014, 01:48:11 PM »
Your right its a shame there wasn't a little AoS sliced in there.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #944 on: August 01, 2014, 03:29:17 PM »
I'll bet it was because Fiege wasn't involved in the show until very late in the game with the 1st season.

And I believe he is one of the executive producers for season 2. So maybe the show will make the full recap after season 2 and Age of Ultron release at next year's con.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 03:47:19 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #945 on: August 01, 2014, 03:39:06 PM »
Its probably something even more mundane like the footage repository for TV is different than Movies which makes it less accessible for these types of cutting.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #946 on: August 01, 2014, 03:50:22 PM »
Or because the show spoils the movie audience into knowing that Coulson is alive and so is SHIELD.

and if they do a full Phase 1&2 recap next year, it will be even better as not only will it have plenty of AoS scenes to pull from, but Daredevil and possibly even Jessica Jones stuff to pull from too. and that's not even including all the awesome scenes that will be added from AoU.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: August 01, 2014, 03:59:48 PM »
Well they didn't have problem showing shield being dismantled in the recap as well as Bucky being the winter soldier.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #948 on: August 01, 2014, 04:15:22 PM »
That's because that's what happens in the movies.
the other stuff happens on TV.

also this movie, having the largest Thursday night late open of the year has a real possibility to be the first movie to legitimately open at OVER 100 Million opening weekend this year. (TF:AoE somehow made $100M exactly*....)
and if it does that and maintains positive word of mouth like TWS, then this could make a boatload of money.... maybe even passing TWS, AMS2, and Maleficent ($705M-$735M).

*when rounded to the near $100k... bus apparently they lied about it anyways read here

edit:
http://boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3882&p=.htm
Could Guardians of the Galaxy open to $100 million this weekend? Based on late Thursday earnings, this is actually within the realm of possibilities.

The 10th movie from Marvel Studios earned a stunning $11.2 million from Thursday night showings beginning at 7 p.m. That's the biggest Thursday night debut so far this year ahead of Captain America: The Winter Soldier ($10.2 million). It's also way ahead of June's Transformers: Age of Extinction ($8.75 million), which is the only movie to open over $100 million this year.

If Guardians of the Galaxy follows the same pattern as either of those movies—or of The Amazing Spider-Man 2, Godzilla and X-Men: Days of Future Past—it will score the biggest opening weekend of the year.

I was going to selectively bold, but then I ended up bolding the whole thing... oh well. :)

edit 2:

Guardians now tracking at $90M opening estimate!!!!
http://variety.com/2014/film/news/box-office-guardians-of-the-galaxy-explodes-friday-for-90-million-opening-1201273774/
Summer box office is receiving a much-needed boost, thanks to a boffo opening by Marvel-Disney’s “Guardians of the Galaxy.â€

Early Friday afternoon estimates placed the new superhero property’s opening weekend at $90 million — far above recent forecasts in the $70 million range.

It’s also the widest August opening in history with 4,080 theaters, nearly 3,200 of which are in 3D, carrying with them surcharges. Overseas, the film will debut in 42 international territories including the United Kingdom, Russia, Brazil, Mexico and South Korea. The picture carries an $170 million production budget.

Dayuuuuum.gif

and Marvel chasing that inflated income figure with all these 3D and IMAX viewings.
I'm not gonna bite, but good for them. Gunn put a lot of work into making the 3D worth the price of admission, so hopefully that is true, because it looks like it's already paying off.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 05:05:35 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #949 on: August 01, 2014, 06:47:32 PM »
Apparently AMC theaters are giving out special collector's items for Stubs members.