Author Topic: IT'S MAHVEL BAYBEE!! [OT] for the Marvel Cinematic Universe (Movies & TV)  (Read 1167223 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Age of Ultron updates
http://m.joblo.com/joblo/news/53822
*SPOILER WARNING*
Minor details on characters, motivations & locations.
Also an Agents of SHIELD season finale spoiler.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Teaser trailer for Guardians of the Galaxy's Monday Trailer
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10152419069909570&id=759774569&refsrc=http%3A%2F%2F

3 Days till...

2 Days till...

*bonus*

« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 05:23:25 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
A teaser for a teaser?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Nope. 3 teasers for a Q&A and a Trailer

1 Day till...

And Cap 2 crosses $250M domestic and $700M worldwide
In about $600k more domestic it will pass Batman ('89) to move into the #13 superhero movie slot, which should very likely happen this week sometime

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
Nevermind.

Anyway, I will see this movie, but to be honest I'm not that excited about it.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
The more I hear about this movie the more it seems like something I would enjoy.  I am curious though if they are going to do the whole thing with the Sentient Ship that I've read about doing research.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
I not super HYPED for this movie, mostly because I don't know the group, the hero's, the setting or the enemies outside of Thanos.
But I'm definitely going to go see it opening weekend as it's an MCU movie.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Looks like Marvel is bringing in a comic writer to work on Daredevil for Netflix.
http://comicbook.com/blog/2014/05/19/exclusive-mark-waid-talks-indestructible-hulk-movie-rumors-daredevil-netflix-series/
(no confirmation on potential upcoming Indestructible HULK movie for Phase 3 or 4)

This is the complete opposite of what DC does, which doesn't really make sense, since the comic writers are the ones that would know the characters and the stories the best, you figure you would want them on board for bringing the comics to life in the movies too.

"The thing about Marvel publishing, is that Marvel Studios has a hands-off approach with it — which is great. The Marvel films don’t dictate how the stories go in the comics, they realize that the tail shouldn’t wag the dog. But, Marvel publishing is sometimes the last people to know what they do in the movies.â€

So even if your comic people don't write the script, they should be on hand for fact checking, continuity compatibility, proper usage and general script outline based on which characters and storylines they wish to adapt.

GotG had the comic writers read the script and give notes/feedback before hand (Abnett & Lanning).
Cap 1&2 had the comic writer also give notes/feedback on the script, just as I'm sure he will also do so on Cap 3. They even had the comic writer in the movie (Brubaker right?).

Considering that I believe the DC comic writers are involved with the animation teams movies, and that DC excelled at animation, in comparison to Marvel's output, you would think they would want to graduate some of those ideas/talent into the live action moves where the real money is.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
Er Geoff Johns had input in Green Lantern as much as is it sucked.

Andrew Kreisberg of Arrow wrote the first couple issues of the vibe series from last year and Marc Guggenheim wrote comics most notably the flash and a upcoming four arc run of X-men.

Bryan Q Miller writer of Steph Brown Batgirl and the smallville comic wrote the Sucide Squad episoide of Arrow.

I want to say Snyder talked to John Bryne and Frank Miller about the superman movies.

To say marvel hasn't done that would be just wrong. Especially when James Gunn just told marvels latest attempt at cross media to duck off saying the current guardian run sucks.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
He had input on GL, but the studio over ruled just about everything, the movie bombed, and then he Left DC. (there were other things involved too, like the cancellation of his cartoon)
Everything else is fairly recent, so things may have changed in the last 2 or so years for DC WB where they decided to use their resources more effectively (let the comic writers help shape the movie scripts, because no one knows the characters better).
There was a story a while back about how WB wouldn't let the comic people near the movie people, and part of that was that the comic people don't know how to write movies, and don't know what it takes to make a movie and they are better served writing their comics like they are used too... [paraphrased]

Seriously, WB needs to spin DC off into it's own subsidiary (Comics/TV/Movies) that handles all their own **** partially independent of the WB studio. Do them like Marvel and play the role of the investor. Give them a "loan" in the form of a budget and have them work a plan. If they can make that plan work within a several movie limit, in a specific time frame and become self sufficient enough to pay the "loan" back and continue operating, then they can carry on and do their own thing.

Not that I want 2-3 DC movies a year ontop of 3-5 Marvel movies a year (as I'm not a DC fan outside of their animated work), but I do think they are being handicapped by a Parent Studio that doesn't see their worth outside of Batman and Superman. They could use a little more freedom to stretch their wings and see where they land, knowing full well that if it doesn't work out, they will just land right back in the lap of WB, rolled right back into the corporate structure of Batman & Superman (but mostly Batman) sequels.

To say marvel hasn't done that would be just wrong. Especially when James Gunn just told marvels latest attempt at cross media to duck off saying the current guardian run sucks.

Marvel has obviously included the comic people as much as possible even giving some of them cameos in the latest movies.
And that Gunn comment could be taken either way.
He may have been saying "the Bendis GotG run sucks, don't read it! Don't read anything... but if you must, read the Abnett & Lanning run, it's much better"
or he could have been saying "Bendis GotG run has nothing to do with my influence for this movie, don't read it. I'd prefer you didn't read anything, but if you must, go read the Abnett & Lanning run if you want a better idea of what I was going for.

It was a 2nd hand comment, so it all depends on how you want to read into it.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Sue Heck from The Middle met with Marvel.
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/other_news/news/?a=100537

She left super excited with 80lbs of comics to read....
Who could she be playing?

edit: before it was deleted on Twitter, she mentioned something about reading Ms. Marvel comics.
Was there a lot of Squirrel Girl is Ms Marvel comics? Is there a Ms Marvel/Jessica Jones connected character maybe?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 01:29:56 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
DC has been a wreck in the movie space.  I think they're biggest problem is that Marvel had all this success by laying out a long term plan, and now DC wants to just cut to the end without putting in the time.  It sucks that movie quality has taken such a sharp turn for the worse.  The Dark Knight Trilogy, while great, left little room to build a world off of.  And Man of Steel just plain sucked.  With The Avengers, each character had a personality that you KNEW would clash with the others.  DC is throwing a completely personality free Superman in with a brand new Batman.  You can't even look forward to that!  And they'll need to launch the majority of that team! Not just 2 additional characters to round out the group.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
Man of steel was awesome. Also you don't need five films to lead into a super hero movie. I mean xmen didn't have a separate cylcoos movie leading into it.

There wasn't a Wonder woman cartoon before Justice league or an iron man before Avengers Earths mightiest heroes.

Squirll girl is joke character who's biggest claim to fame is jobbing doom, fucking wolverine, and being the babysitter for look cage. She's awesome but clearly a one shot character.

Jessica Jones and Carol Danvers are best friends in the comics.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
You're right. You don't need an indiviual hero movie to build up a team movie.

X-Men started as a team movie that was to split into individual hero movies... but they chose to instead make every movie focus on Wolverine.... someone should tell B. Singer to stop crying about it now.

and I was looking for a character that was between Carol Danvers and Jessica Jones. Someone that we wouldn't take too seriously, and I figured Sue Heck might make a decent Squirrel Girl (I don't really know the character) but there was no way she could be Capt. Marvel and I doubt she would be anyones pick for Jessica Jones (2 more characters I'm only vaguely familiar with).
I basing my prejudice mostly on the Sue Heck Character and who I think the above named female characters are.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
X-Men is a group by default.  Whereas Justice League is a collective of individuals.  Also, the X-Men movie series has horribly under-developed characters. 

And cartoons have a separate audience from movies.  The "average" person watching these movies doesn't care about the cartoons.

And I don't know what you saw in Man of Steel, but the more I think about that movie, the less I can stand it.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
Personally it really goes to the team.

Avengers and Justice League are both teams who core is made out of individual that have established larger identities outside of the Team.

The X-Men and Fantastic Four on the other hand had the Team and then the individuals within eventually branched and had the personalities.

That's why I personally feel that Justice League can't really work without establishing that the core cast doesn't really need the JL to be relevant.

Just so you know I actually wrote this before Nickmitch and BnM posted.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
It's ok, if you agree.  This is the correct opinion.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
It really does come down to the team,  And I think Justice League would be better served if we knew the characters of the core 3-5 members before they had to share the screen, just so we could see their known personalities clash.

But that's not to say that it couldn't work staying from Justice League and then branching out.
Hopefully they develop Superman and Batman in this movie so that we know "who" they are before they introduce 70 more heroes into the mix.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 05:24:40 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
You're right. You don't need an indiviual hero movie to build up a team movie.

X-Men started as a team movie that was to split into individual hero movies... but they chose to instead make every movie focus on Wolverine.... someone should tell B. Singer to stop crying about it now.

and I was looking for a character that was between Carol Danvers and Jessica Jones. Someone that we wouldn't take too seriously, and I figured Sue Heck might make a decent Squirrel Girl (I don't really know the character) but there was no way she could be Capt. Marvel and I doubt she would be anyones pick for Jessica Jones (2 more characters I'm only vaguely familiar with).
I basing my prejudice mostly on the Sue Heck Character and who I think the above named female characters are.

Alright between them you have Black Widow and than

Jessica Drew

Mocking Bird

She-Hulk

to get somewhat obscure

Hell Cat

The thing is marvel has a ton of female character's but a good portion of them are all related to X-men Franchise living the pickings pretty slim. Now going down the list

Jessica Drew has become more shield/sword adjacent in the past months so its likely to see her in agents of sheild. Whoever Cher is is probably going to be a either the main star or a big supporting role ala Widow in Winter Solider. Not sure if she's gruff enough to pull off Drew.

Mocking Bird is actually pretty good choice, Back when the MCU was getting started Jeph Loeb confrimed that MockingBird was one of three shows in development at the time alongside AKA Jessica Jones and The Hulk. The Plot of the show was Bobbi Morse being a college freshman being recruited into a spy organiztion that was likely shield. The Hulk got cancelled due to success of the Avengers and AKA Jessica Jones got turned into Jessica Jones even keeping the same showrunner. With Disney/Marvel Studios wanting to maxmize the brand getting something on to ABC family makes sense.

She-Hulk
Probably won't she her until Banner himself gets more fleshed out and shes better left to be the second for a new hulk movie.

Hellcat
The character is super old and is from a time when super hero comics were out of Vouge and westerns and romance were really popular. She was a teenage comedy/romance series similar to archie and than after high school becomes a hero joining the Defenders. That would be pretty good route to go.

She could also be Lady Hawkeye but I'm not sure if marvel is going to delve in the teen hero market.

As per man of steel i'm easy to please.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
The only reason I see her being Squirrel Girl is because she will most likely be on TV, as she is a TV actress, and I can see her being the babysitter for Jessica Jones, possibly making a cameo in a Capt. Marvel movie. also making an appearance in the Power Man show as well.

And since Daredevil should be ramping up soon, and Jessica Jones is to follow, I would imagine casting for that has started already. If she were a major character, I'm not sure Marvel would have teased it themselves like they did

but what I'm thrown off by is this (was quickly deleted, but not before it was screen capped)

New Ms. Marvel is a Muslim Youth right? and she doesn't exactly fit the stature for a seasoned vet like Carol Danvers (Katee Sackhoff) and too white to be Monica Rambeau.

I assume she will be a supporting character, and all her reading up on comics, starting with Ms. Marvel.... has to be for someone that likely isn't actually Ms. Marvel right?

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
Well there is a fifty issue Ms.Marvel run featuring Carol as the namesake.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Well there is a fifty issue Ms.Marvel run featuring Carol as the namesake.

But surely there is a heavily re-occurring side character in that series that she is researching?
Or, as a much more knowledgeable comic reader than I, do you think she could fit the role of a Carol Danvers? or possibly a Jessica Jones (who is about to get knocked up by Luke Cage)?

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
Which character would have enough comics for 80lb of material including background.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
Starbuck is def Cap Marvel in my mind. Carol is even modeled after Starbuck in the new series.

Jessica Jones is usually a late 20s PI with a lot of self identity issues. (She was a failed super hero and despite having powers she's suposed to be pretty average in the looks department.

Unsure about personality since the only thing I know about eden is shes sue heck in the middle.