Author Topic: Xenoblade's Graphics: Why HD Does Not Matter  (Read 18318 times)

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
Re: Xenoblade's Graphics: Why HD Does Not Matter
« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2012, 11:19:14 PM »
Star Fox 64 had more "remake" effort put into it than Ocarina of Time did.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Minsc

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 09, 2012, 11:58:47 AM »
HD graphics are only an issue if a person chooses to make it an issue.  I play Minecraft on the default textures and think the game looks great.  That is a game where attention to "art direction" when building really pays off.

Offline Chocobo_Rider

• Embrace the status quo.
  • Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 09, 2012, 03:03:46 PM »
Oh boy! Now this didn't happen when we all were in the 16-bit era. Actually it did, and 10 years from now it will seem just as absurd. The truth is that art and creativity will always win over "modern graphics".

+1000

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 09, 2012, 07:45:49 PM »
I was never a fan of Wind Waker's style, it just looks too plain. There isn't enough detail in the environments and characters. Twilight Princess had the detail but the colouring was too dark and didn't quite fit. Skyward Sword is a good in-between and may be my favourite style in a 3D Zelda game.

Offline FutureBoy

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 30, 2021, 08:09:11 PM »
Greetings! What a crazy thread this is!!!

If only one could whisper to these people and tell them that Nintendo will have a handheld system, after the 3DS, that plays an enhanced version of Skyrim… in 720p in HANDHELD mode. Or 1080p in docked. “What’s docked?” They’ll ask as I vanish.

And that an enhanced Xenoblade, and a gorgeous AF sequel, will be out on the same handheld console.

All the few people arguing about graphics not needing to be better than the GameCube. Haha no! Fools!

This thread was nearly a decade ago.

At the time I was one of the first indie developers to make a stomping on Steam. Back when you had to make a good game to get it on their platform. It wasn’t a popularity contends like Greenlight was. You had to make something comparable to the biggest games of the era. Before the shitty floodgates opened. 10 years. I made a lot of nice moneys on there. Gave me the opportunity to pursue hobbies and random jobs. I was an archery coach, a university professor, I bought and sold property and land. I might make a new game and do it all again. I’m sure the press will be interested though all my old journalist buds have died, work elsewhere now, vanished.

I do often reflect on how incredible the Switch is. It’s all I play now… and I own a PS5, PSVR, that big PC VR thing in a vr room I made (with one of those running pad things) and all my old systems with unfinished games. (I sometimes feel **** for not even opening some of the ps3 era games my wife bought me. I wanted them. Just never got round to them). I’m gonna go before that upsets me more.

X

Offline FutureBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 30, 2021, 08:11:06 PM »

His approach to graphics is pretty much:
NES - 2D that looks like crap
SNES - 2D that looks great and therefore is all you need for 2D graphics
N64 - 3D that looks like crap
Gamecube/Wii - 3D that looks great and therefore is all you need PERIOD

I can’t believe how incorrect you are here. You should have corrected your brother. The Gc had terrible graphics even in SD. Higher resolutions are always better.

Offline FutureBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 30, 2021, 08:24:29 PM »
The game would not be any better or worse at 720p. Do you say a movie is better in HD? No, you might say it looks a little nicer but the actual movie is the same. Same with a game, the actual game would not be any different in HD.

Yes. Films are better. They’re more mesmerising. I knew this back then and I still know it now. Case in point: bitrate. No matter the resolution if you lower the quality the movie will look worse. We’re used to a standard and if it drops below that your enjoyment is impacted.

I personally still own just a 1080p TV I bought funnily enough when this article was posted. A 56” Bravia. At the time it was £2k. The best tv money could buy in terms of image performance. It’s now in our master bedroom. My wife is this second playing, of all games, the Crystal Chronicles port on Switch on that TV. We also have the same in the living rooms and dens (plural. About 6 in total). But we run a PS5 and an Apple TV on them even though they’re capable of 4k HDR. I fixed my grandfathers TV for him last month and took my devices therr to see the image quality of his 4K hdr Bravia.

I was blown away. I tested a bench of Apple TV purchased films on there… which is the best quality streaming service out there. The quality is huge and heavy. Dolby ATMOS, Dolby vision, 4k, HDR colours. Truly nothing better other than a 4k Blu-ray. The moment I decide to upgrade my TVs I’m certainly going to watch all the films I own on that service.

And you know what. This isn’t the best. It’ll get better.

Beyond certain resolutions 2D images start to look 3D. Once the dpi is beyond a high value and the image is already very large: it looks 3D. It looks real.

I do watch films in 4K hdr on my iPhone Pro Max 13, and iPad Pro as they run the highest res and shrink it down. I think the iPad Pro is crazy high resolutioned too. I use them with my AirPods Pro Max for ATMOS sound. It’s great but I hate to watch films on small screens. Why do they when you can watch content on a TV.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 30, 2021, 09:36:15 PM »
It was also easier to go back to SD content 9 years ago than it is now.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 01, 2022, 02:02:17 PM »
I've been playing a lot of n64 games with bumped up resolution recently, and good Art design stands the test of time. Take Quest 64 vs Aidyn Chronicles. Quest 64 is a much better designed game.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post