Author Topic: Nintendo Holds Development Seminars  (Read 2405 times)

Nintendo Holds Development Seminars
« on: April 05, 2003, 06:21:12 AM »
College students in Tokyo will have a chance to learn game development from the masters.

Nintendo is calling for applications for Nintendo Game Seminar 2003 (in Japan), a 10 month seminar on game development.  Thirty people from the applicant pool will be selected.  The classes will be free.

Nintendo’s development staff will discuss about game design, programming, sound, and the necessary knowledge and skills related to game development. The selected applicants will also have an opportunity to develop an actual game for GBA with Nintendo providing all the development tools for free. The seminar will be held from June to August weekly followed with a special camp for the students and the staff.  From September to March, seminars will be held biweekly.

To be eligible, you must be a college student or equivalent and living in Tokyo.  Applicants who pass the first round selection will go on to interviews and take a paper test.

Although the teaching staff is yet undetermined, Miyamoto-san in his message regarding the seminar ended with, “Let’s meet at the seminar!”

Whether the Nintendo Game Seminar will be held next year as well is not yet determined.

Offline the_wenzel

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2003, 07:56:33 AM »
dangit, why doesn't noa do something like this stateside? (of course when i say stateside, i really mean in chicago... close to my college... just for me... yeah)
Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, expecting a different result.

Offline dilbert627

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2003, 09:48:04 AM »
10 months?  Are you sure that isn't supposed to be 10 days??  10 months is an awful long time for a seminar.

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2003, 11:49:58 AM »
Well NOA backs Digipen you know....but unfortunately that's not free. Or anywhere near free...

So I'm assuming Miyamoto himself will be present during this endeavor? Or will his underlings do the teaching?

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2003, 05:03:28 AM »
Oh miyamoto is a cool guy, he'll probably come in waving handing out free BETA copies of mario Sunshine 2 and sign peoples heads and stuff.

NOA doesn't hold one because they only have one development studio, who so far have made ports and sequels.
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline Kulock

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2003, 11:12:58 AM »
Digipen was far too expensive at the time for me to take when I was heading into college, so I went for a general CIS route at DeVry. Sadly, that hasn't helped very much toward this gamer's goal of actually working for a game company. I wish they would offer something like this in America, since we've been hearing about Nintendo's dev houses in America starting to do more and more work on projects, even if it's just accessory work to the Japanese releases...

All well, I suppose there's still time to move to Tokyo, learn fluent Japanese, enroll in a college, and manage to be chosen out of all the applicants into this pool of thirty. Doable, right? Right?

dilbert627: Excerpt from the story:

The seminar will be held from June to August weekly followed with a special camp for the students and the staff. From September to March, seminars will be held biweekly.