Author Topic: Super. Paper. Mario. April. 2007.  (Read 44683 times)

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
RE:Super. Paper. Mario. April. 2007.
« Reply #100 on: April 07, 2007, 07:15:12 PM »
What I love most about Super Paper Mario is that it is truly representative of what Nintendo is as a company. If I recall the game wasn't really planned, but was more of a "Hey we have some neat ideas, let's do it!". That, in my opinion, is the kind of philosophy I wish more companies would take.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #101 on: April 07, 2007, 08:34:28 PM »
Well at least one forum member sounds like he'll be stoning me before playing the game because I didn't give it a 10.  
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
RE: Super. Paper. Mario. April. 2007.
« Reply #102 on: April 07, 2007, 09:53:15 PM »
Well the game has been getting 9's from pretty much every major publication so it's not really surprising.  But after reading about all the different reviews the game easily sounds like a perfect 10 to me.  The biggest problem reviewers are having is it not a traditional Mario Platformer, but instead Paper Mario with Platforming instead of turn based battles.  Now I agree that this is a valid complaint for many, but for a huge Paper Mario fan like myself, I could care less.

When I first read about the game at last years E3, I was expecting it to be just a spin off of Paper Mario with more Platforming and so it wouldn't be like the other Mario Platformers.  And now when I read these reviews, it sounds like the game ended up the way I expected it to all along, so I'll have no problems with it.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #103 on: April 07, 2007, 10:29:20 PM »
I have no problem with this game being something other than a platformer, although I agree many have formed inaccurate preconceptions about the game (which I try to point out in my review).  I DO have a problem with some of the "puzzles" found within the game, as noted in said review. Anyway, any further discussion of my review should probably take place in its talkback thread.  
Nintendo World Report

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 08, 2007, 02:41:48 AM »

Originally posted by: TheYoungerPlumber
My (obviously definitive) review should be up shortly!

Your graphics score proves you get what Nintendo has done.!
Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 08, 2007, 07:16:54 PM »
TYP: Have you gone through the Pit of 100 Trials? I hear it's not enemies you have to get through but TIMED PUZZLES. I just wanted to know how awesome and/or frustrating it was. And your review actually made me more excited for the game, even if it didn't get the 10/10 and instant GOTY award I would have liked it to receive.  

EDIT: And to GoldenPhoenix, there is a sweet interview with the guys behind this game in the new Nintendo Power you should check out. The lead designer talks about how he got the idea for the game when he was riding the train. He looked down the car and thought it looked like a Super Mario level and obviously that thought matured into the 2D/3D flipping. He went to a producer about this idea and the project was given the green light pretty much then and there. Pretty freaking cool.  

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 09, 2007, 08:40:49 AM »
Ships today, which is kind of odd isn't.  Isn't Tuesday the big release day of the week?  Despite that today is the day!
Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?

Offline Rhoq

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 09, 2007, 09:10:23 AM »

Originally posted by: nitsu niflheim
Ships today, which is kind of odd isn't.  Isn't Tuesday the big release day of the week?  Despite that today is the day!

Ships today, will be in stores tomorrow (Tuesday).

Regardless, "New Release Tuesday" generally applies only to CDs, DVDs and books. Video Games tend to follow their own schedule which seems to defy logic. Let's start with the fact that release date usually means "ship date". It's misleading since the average person sees the ship date and assumes it will be in stores and available for purchase on that date.
PEACE--->Rhoq

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 09, 2007, 04:20:55 PM »
What's with the DS on the wall in the receipe house in FlipSide?  It just says "Awaiting Data Upgrade..."  What's Nintendo got in store here?  
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 10, 2007, 04:44:15 PM »
Picked it up today, its humorous as ever. There is quite a bit reading at the beginning, but its intelligently translated, I can't get enough of it!

Only played 1-1, and its reminiscent and new at the same time. Switching to 3d is such a trip, I can't believe games with a concept like that hasn't come out until now!

Strange though, the case and the manual are multilingual.  Anyone else getting something like this?

Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 10, 2007, 06:27:23 PM »
I think Nintendo did this so they don't need to print 3 different boxes and manuals in the Americas.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 10, 2007, 06:30:11 PM »

Originally posted by: Djunknown
Picked it up today, its humorous as ever. There is quite a bit reading at the beginning, but its intelligently translated, I can't get enough of it!

Only played 1-1, and its reminiscent and new at the same time. Switching to 3d is such a trip, I can't believe games with a concept like that hasn't come out until now!

Strange though, the case and the manual are multilingual.  Anyone else getting something like this?

It is just too bad when it was playable at GDC that it was pimp slapped by Little Big Planet and Home.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 10, 2007, 06:33:16 PM »
Yes, the intro sucks.  (very minor spoiler) - Once I was finally able to actually take control of Mario and *play* the damn game (not counting the little mini-spots where you have temporary control of Mario to walk into another room or such), I checked the game timer and it said I already had 18 mins of play time in.  I just wanna play the game!
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline cubist

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 11, 2007, 03:55:19 AM »
Simply brilliant.

To echo some of the thoughts in here, the 2D to 3D switch is brilliant.  I'm not too worried about complaints about the 3D graphics portion, as they are staying on par with the 2D style to make a smoother transition between dimensions.

Intelligent Systems is showing that they don't need the big budget to play with the big boys...this one has Nintendo magic all over it.

NNID: Island_Gamer

Offline Ghisy

• Pronounced "GC"
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 11, 2007, 05:41:58 AM »

Originally posted by: Djunknown

Really?? this sucks, I hate multilingual cases, they're just no fun.
My copy shipped yesterday so I should get it by next week!!!!! teh w00t!
~Ghisy~
(pronounced GC!)

Currently playing: My Japanese Coach (DS), Resident Evil 5 (PS3), The Conduit (WII), Street Fighter IV (PS3)

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 11, 2007, 08:38:24 AM »
Yeah, multi-lingual cases/manuals FTL. It doesn't even explain the style jumps in there. Is there a proper way to pull them off? Who the hell knows!

Anyways, the game thus far is as amazing as I suspected.  

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 11, 2007, 01:44:27 PM »

Originally posted by: UncleBob
What's with the DS on the wall in the receipe house in FlipSide?  It just says "Awaiting Data Upgrade..."  What's Nintendo got in store here?

Nothing, really.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 11, 2007, 01:47:08 PM »

Originally posted by: TrueNerd
Yeah, multi-lingual cases/manuals FTL. It doesn't even explain the style jumps in there. Is there a proper way to pull them off? Who the hell knows!

Anyways, the game thus far is as amazing as I suspected.

I especially like the Wii reference with the first main boss, that was hilarious.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 11, 2007, 01:52:56 PM »

Originally posted by: TrueNerd

If you would play the game, you'd find out!

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #119 on: April 11, 2007, 03:02:11 PM »
And here I thought you guys were too busy with some other warzone talkback thread to discuss Super Paper Mario.  Yey for Super Paper Mario.
Nintendo World Report

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: April 11, 2007, 03:11:39 PM »

Originally posted by: TheYoungerPlumber
And here I thought you guys were too busy with some other warzone talkback thread to discuss Super Paper Mario.  Yey for Super Paper Mario.

I'm never too busy for a warzone and talking about great game as well.

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 11, 2007, 04:47:18 PM »
I'm guessing they went multilingual since there's not really much to explain (which there isn't) or if its a subtle cue to get the strategy guide...

I'm playing this game at a snails pace, since I recently picked up Paper Mario Thousand Year Door Last week, which is sucking up my gaming time. Anyway's, just did 1-2, and I'm still trippin'. Is it me, or there an Etch-e-Sketch(sp?) theme going on?

The timings for stylish moves do have some pattern, but I can't quite put my finger on it. Its nowhere near as difficult like pulling Ubers in SSX Blur, but there's some sort of science to this. Oh well, we'll figure it out in time...
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 11, 2007, 05:03:11 PM »
Stylish moves are explained in detail in a later part of the game - if you talk to the right person.  

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 12, 2007, 05:14:35 AM »
Hooray, couchmonkey mused, I have purchased Super Paper Mario!  But I only had time to play level 1-1.  But it was awesome!  I'm interested to see how the boss battles are going to work.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline MANTI5

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 12, 2007, 05:35:10 AM »
It's a fairly awsome game but it really needs to be more difficult.