Gaming Forums > Nintendo Gaming

The Un-Official Super Mario 64 Retroactive thread waiting room.

(1/7) > >>

pokepal148:
I'm playing through this on the DS version on the Wii U Virtual Console. It's been a real hoot. I like playing a version of Mario 64 wherere the camera isn't an absolute nightmare and the extra characters and stuff they added are real fun as well. I definitely want to dabble with the original more. I know I have a save from the Wii VC version that was in the castle's second floor that I could pull up to mess around with some of the later stages but honestly, the DS version having a functioning camera system really puts it over the edge for me.

The original game is impressive as hell for it's time, and I do feel it took a while for time to catch up with it, but as gaming has evolved more and more, it's age has started to show more and more.

Luigi Dude:
This is why it's too bad we didn't get a full remaster that had both the original and DS version present.  The DS version has a lot of nice content added to the game, but the lack of analog controls is kind of a big deal.  For the most part I played the game just fine with the D-Pad until I got to the later levels like Rainbow Cruise.

I've been meaning to play the game on my 3DS someday to see if using that systems control stick might solve some of my issues.  Of course, you mentioning the Wii U Virtual Console is making me tempted to buy that version of the game since being able to use the Pro Controller analog stick might solve my issues as well.  Even if the game still doesn't have full analog controls, at least using a joystick to move Mario should hopefully work better then the d-pad on original DS was.

NWR_insanolord:
I've spent significant time with the DS version on both 3DS and Wii U, and while it definitely controls better, it's still not great compared to the real thing. I enjoyed the extra stars, but the character switching was pretty clunky at times. Having to go back to Peach's room anytime you wanted to switch got really annoying.

pokepal148:
If you play as yoshi, you can select the character hat you need on the touch screen at the start of a stage.

NWR_insanolord:
Yeah, but if you get hit you lose it, which can be pretty annoying in certain situations. They should have just let you switch between them at any time when you're in the castle.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version