Gaming Forums > Nintendo Gaming

Super Mario 3D All Stars: Yea or Nay? (And other Nintendo ports)

(1/14) > >>

Stratos:
So I was all on the train for 3D All Stars and pre-ordered, but the morning after I'm feeling some doubts. I realize I have access to all of these on the original systems easily. Also, it looks like these are only marginally upscaled ports, so I'm wondering if it would even be a good deal as a convenience charge to play on a current system.

Has the de-compiled Mario 64 project spoiled me? That offers 60fps 4k with boosted asset, and modders are quickly adding the extra content from the DS version.

Especially with the "All Stars" moniker, it got me thinking about the one that is free on the SNES Online app. That one was a collection of  4 (5 if you could the Mario World combo) games, and all of them received upgraded assets and other improvements.

Feels like we should be getting more bang for our buck at $60. If they didn't want to go through the effort of adding the Mario 64 DS features to the original, they could have thrown in the Wii U DS version as a bonus. And the omision of Galaxy 2 was pretty big. Are there any other games that could have fit in there (that weren't ported separately).

What are your thoughts on it? Are you buying all of the Nintendo up-ports? I've bought a few of the ports (Lego City Undercover, Hyrule Warriors, Mario Kart, and Captain Toad come to mind) but I've been (and will be) holding off on some of the other ports in the hopes of a better deal (NSMBU, SM3DW, Pikmin 3). I've also double dipped on occasion (Mario Kart, Lego City, Hyrule Warriors).

As it stands I may cancel my pre-order since that is now possible. Only thing I'd miss out on is probably the exclusive pin set.

Adrock:
For $60, Super Mario 3D All-Stars is a pretty weak collection. With Galaxy 2 and the minimal improvements, it should have been $40, maybe $50 for the Nintendo Tax®. The existence of the original Super Mario All-Stars makes Super Mario 3D All-Stars harder to accept as is. Granted, 3D games are a lot more complex than 2D games. I think Nintendo could have done better. Overall, it just seems like a minimal effort release that feels more Super Mario All-Stars 25th Anniversary Edition ROM-dump than the SNES original.

To the general public, 🤷‍♀️. Super Mario 3D All-Stars is going to sell-out and be a scalper's wet dream for the next forever. Here's what I would have wanted:

* Remake Super Mario 64 AND 64 DS (straight up graphics update; 16:9, 60 FPS)
* Include Super Mario 64 and 64 DS (with the collection's current updates)
* Fix Super Mario Sunshine's jank (with the collection's current updates)
* Super Mario Galaxy as-is in the collection
* Include Super Mario Galaxy 2 (with the collection's Super Mario Galaxy updates)
* MSRP: $59.99
* Only the collection is a limited time offer (which includes the soundtracks); each game/version can be purchased individually.
That said, I have the collection pre-ordered. I haven't bought all the Wii U ports, only Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (both double dips). I would have bought Bayonetta 1 and 2 if Nintendo didn't pull that split cart/digital download nonsense.

Khushrenada:
I rarely double dip on games. Ironically, I was willing to jump on on the VC this generation so as to probably sell off some of my older consoles and just have easier access to games by having many tied to one system but then the VC died. However, with 3DS, Wii U and Switch still being easily accessed by me and set-up, I can probably manage something with titles split across those three. Plus, I got the SNES Mini and that allowed me to load up the system with most titles I'd want and no longer have to worry about carts or batteries dying in them.

Still, I've digressed like usual. The main point still stands that I've very rarely ever double dipped on titles because it doesn't make sense to me to buy a game I already own instead of something new that I've never played unless there is significant factors to make the purchase stand out from the original. I've got multiple games in my library but most of them came that way be being free or being very cheap. For instance, I have three copies of Metroid Fusion. The first I bought was the GBA copy since I had a DS and could now play GBA games. I later got a free version on my 3DS from the Ambassador program and another free version on the Wii U because of some kind of promotion or Club Nintendo thing. In the case of the SNES mini, buying that was sort of like rebuying those games but the price proposition was worth it plus the improvements like the rewind feature and being able to add more to the library.

One of the first games I double-dipped on was Kirby Super Star Ultra for DS. While it added some extra things, I don't find any of them better or of added value from the original base game. Likewise, I later got a copy of DKCR for 3DS for a pretty low price. I had liked the title quite a bit when playing it on the Wii and was curious how it handle without motion controls and what the extra added levels were like. Ultimately, the extra levels were pretty forgettable but I did like playing it without motion controls although it lost a bit in the visuals compared to the console version. Thus it was a mixed bag. With the deal I got on my Switch, it meant that MK8 Deluxe was only $30 which is a pretty good price for a game I wasn't really interested in getting again after having it for the Wii U. Truth be told, I've hardly touched it much on Switch aside from when some people have come over and we might play a few rounds. When thinking of double-dipping, these are the titles that come to my mind first.

From my experience, I've found that double-dipping has rarely been worth it. Even when I've been able to get a title on the lower end of the price scale, I'm still not sure if I overpaid. Going back to Metroid Fusion, I played it multiple times on my GBA copy, I played it once on the Ambassador program and I barely touched it on my Wii U. I think it would be the same with the 3D All-Stars. I could see myself playing through all the games again once but I'm not sure I'd touch it anytime soon after that. In which case, I could go and play the versions I already own instead if I really want one more round of these games. Since the additions to these games are kind of minimal to change the experience from the original, I've been pretty much leaning in the pass category. I'm already not a fan of G1 and I don't think playing it again on Switch is going to change my mind. While I still enjoy 64, I'm not feeling any desire to play it again right away. While Sunshine is my jam and the biggest thing tugging my towards a purchase of this title, my GC is still hooked up to my TV and sound system ready to play and now has the official component cables. I popped the game in for a quick spin last winter to see what it looks like. Not much change but ended up going to Sirena Beach as I often do when messing around with the game. Collected all the coins I could on the beach and then fought the Manta Ray beating it in one go. Still got them Sunshine skills. Remembering that has further helped me fight the gaming nostalgia Nintendo may be preying on for getting people to jump on this title.

Ian Sane:
My general feeling is that collections like this or special editions and such are great for newcomers.  But if I bought a game at the time, I don't buy an updated version later on unless it's a major overhaul like Metroid: Zero Mission.  I have bought arcade compilations that had games I already owned in it and I bought a lot of the recent mini consoles but each time there was some game in there that I didn't have so the redundant titles were more extras.  I've actually done the opposite where I bought some retro collection and then ended up getting the original release later.

I want people to have access to classic games and you shouldn't have to own a bunch of old systems and hunt down an out-of-print game to do it.  When records went to CDs or VHS went to DVDs you could get the noteworthy albums and movies in the new format quite easily.  I understand with software it is not as easy to do that since everything relies on the hardware it was designed for but with emulation and backwards compatibility I still think a much stronger effort can be made to always have the classics available for purchase.  There are always new kids becoming the age where they want to check out the games from before their time.

I don't have a problem with newcomers buying an old game on a new system.  I don't have much of a problem with someone buying a game they already owned at some point on a newer system so they don't have to keep old hardware hooked up, if the price is reasonable.  I've repurchased some old PC games from my youth where I don't know where the discs are and the game cost $5.  I didn't pay $60 for it.  I don't like people buying a game for the second time because Malibu Stacy has a new hat.  There is a deliberate strategy for companies to pad their release schedule with ports that have a bit of new content in it to get people to double-dip.  That's generally a rip-off and those with self-restraint get punished for it, because enough people do it that it encourages it.

Notice that you don't see as many retro compilations as you did during the PS2/Xbox/Cube era?  Notice that Nintendo has never had a VC as strong as the Wii one was?  Notice that backwards compatibility has disappeared?  That's because the buying behavior of people double-dipping has encouraged the market to push HD remasters.  The PS5 made a big stink about GTA 5 being on it.  If you want GTA 5 it's on tons of platforms brand new for like $20.  Yet, there will be people that buy a PS5 and the first game they get will be GTA 5, even though they already played it on the PS3 and/or PS4.  GTA 5 should be on any popular new system but it should be an afterthought.  Super Mario Bros should be on every Nintendo platform on day one but with no real fanfare to it, just there in case you've never played it and you should be able to.  But these re-releases shouldn't be filling gaps in the release schedule or being charged full price.  A Nintendo Direct focusing on re-releases is pretty damn absurd.

New games should be the focus, old games should be available at a lower price to be an accessible option for new players.

Khushrenada:
Let's talk Switch Port City.

BotW - Wasn't my intention to buy it again but when I got my Switch it was part of the library that came with it. Got it for 50% of the price. Let someone else play it but I've hardly touched it after spending 400 hours on the Wii U version. Debate keeping it in my library or selling/trading it for something else.

MK8D - Part of my Switch purchase. Maybe 5 or 6 hours played. I do like the change in Battle Mode (although I was ok with the Wii U's take on it) and it is a popular title to play with other people so I'll probably keep it in my library but I still feel I overpaid for it at 50% off.

Pokken Tournament - Part of my Switch purchase. Never got it on Wii U so not a double dip. Have yet to still even try it.

Bayonetta 2 - Just not interested in this series.

DKC:TR - Have the Wii U version which I've still yet to play (though that will be changing very soon this month) and see no need to buy the Switch version also. Do not see myself ever acquiring this port.

Hyrule Warriors - Have the Wii U version and then bought the 3DS version because of a really good deal on Amazon one day. Started the Wii U version but never got back to it. Haven't opened the 3DS version. Absolutely not getting the Switch version. Paid enough already for a game I'm not playing.

Sushi Striker - I bought it on 3DS which is where it seemed to be the system it was designed for. Have yet to try it. Even with the Switch version getting highly discounted, not interested in double dipping for it here.

Captain Toad - Finally played my Wii U copy last year. It was a pleasant experience but not one so great that I feel the need to get the Switch copy for a few extra stages using Odyssey assets. Considering the stages that used 3D World assets, I don't feel I'm missing out on anything.

Lego City Undercover - Have it on Wii U. Haven't played it. Not going to get it for Switch when I can still play it on Wii U someday.

The World Ends With You - Horribly reviewed port and I never finished the original. Easy skip. No double dip.

Let's Go, Pikachu/Eevee - Essentially a sort of port of Red/Blue but with upgraded visuals and different catching mechanics. A more simplified / streamlined version of the game from my understanding. I actually have Pikachu. Got it for a low price but have yet to play it. Still have LeafGreen and FireRed to play. Still not sure if I want to keep this copy.

NSMBU Deluxe - Barely enjoyed it when I played my Wii U copy but Luigi U was lit but not enough to make me replay the original game or need a Switch version. Not double-dipping unless free.

Link's Awakening - I was weak and got the Collector's Edition. Visual upgrades with better control helped sell me on this port / remaster though I've yet to get to it as I play other Zelda titles I haven't gotten to before.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions - I got it for half off on Wii U and haven't played it. (Notice a trend with me and Wii U gaming?). I'll play it there with the GamePad instead as it was meant to be played! No double dip.

Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Works - Got the Collector's edition. Technically a triple dip as I had a 3DS and Wii copy already. Played this Switch version which is my first time playing it. Tried the 3DS version a bit to compare the two. Very glad I waited until Switch to play it but not sure it was worth the cost of buying the previous copy. Currently trying to sell off my Wii copy to recoup some cost since I see no need to play that version now. Worth double-dipping if you've played it before? Maybe. Definitely some improvements in control and graphics and managing the in-game systems. But no real changes to story although the Future Connected epilogue portion may help in giving a returning player something fresh. But it is a much shorter experience than the main game.

Pikmin 3 - No plans to double dip as I'd rather play it on Wii U with the gamepad.

Mario 3D All-Stars - Going to skip unless I can get it for a smoking deal.

3D World - Wasn't really as over-the-moon with this game. Like 3D Land and Galaxy 2 much more. Was going to skip until the addition of online co-op was mentioned. Currently see-sawing back and forth on this.

Are there other parts I'm not thinking of? Most likely. From my experience of the titles I've double dipped on is that double-dipping really isn't worth it. Even at a lower cost, the cost of the second copy combined with the first probably isn't worth the price for one title especially with how one is likely to play less of the second copy than the first. Law of Diminishing Returns may be in play. It seems a port is only worth it if you've never played it before and don't own a copy already. Double-dipping is great for a sudden nostalgic burst but it seems to fade just as quick.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version