Author Topic: Soccer Discussion: 1.67% Chance of Being the Best Thread on the NWR Forums  (Read 227944 times)

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Re: Soccer Discussion
« Reply #50 on: May 22, 2013, 02:43:10 AM »
Considering that almost every good player already chooses not to play in MLS (the top MLS player is Robbie Keane at $4 million a year and only 8 players make $1 million or more; Lionel Messi makes $19.3 million just from salary/bonuses and the 10 highest paid players in the world all make over $10 million a year). If you are talented at soccer and want to make money, there is very little reason right now to play in MLS if you don't have to. Being owned by foreign clubs that have shown a willingness to spend the money to be successful (like Al Nahyan with Manchester City) can help change that.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 22, 2013, 04:52:35 PM »
Six years ago no one in MLS made over $400,000 a year. Salaries are increasing as the league grows and things like the designated player rule are allowing MLS clubs to bring in higher priced talent.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #52 on: May 22, 2013, 05:20:34 PM »
And that is why I think it's good that this UAE prince is buying an expansion team as he will be willing to pay to get some of these top tier players to come play for his team in MLS. Even some of the top analysts are recognizing that MLS is getting better (it's now ranked in the top 10 for soccer leagues). It's still a long way away before MLS is considered anywhere near something like Premier League or La Ligra, but its getting there.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 27, 2013, 11:08:51 AM »
The MLS still wants parity and the league is structured in such a way that no one franchise is going to spend insane amounts of money to bring players over. The rest of the league would revolt. MLS can't spend freely like the European leagues can.

In other news, the America v. Cruz Azul Final return leg was absolutely insane:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xY9DhFkHiDE
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 11, 2013, 11:37:04 PM »
After a day like today, I'm sure all of you are glued to your televisions tonight following the World Cup Qualifiers. The United States is looking really impressive tonight, leading Panama 2-0 in the 67th minute. Shortly after the U.S. scored the second goal the crowd began chanting "We are going to Brazil!" which I loved.

J.P. Corbran

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 18, 2013, 11:45:12 PM »
The U.S. beat Honduras tonight in Salt Lake City 1-0 on a Jozy Altidore goal. He had gone two years without scoring a goal for the national team before scoring 4 goals for them in the last two weeks. The U.S. now has 13 points in the hex, with a 5 point lead over second place Mexico, and have all but locked up their trip to Brazil next summer.

J.P. Corbran

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 01, 2013, 05:53:05 PM »
Today, Seattle Sounders central midfielder Shalrie Joseph restructured his contract so that he was no longer a designated player. Now, this news would have been great in and of itself, as Joseph, while a good player, had no business being a DP, but what makes it even better is the Sounders apparently intend to fill that now open DP slot with a guy you may have heard of named Clint Dempsey.

I've already made the mistake of getting my hopes up over this, even though there are a lot of hurdles that would have to be past, most notably the seemingly impossible task of acquiring the top spot in the allocation order from hated rival Portland.

Really, even if we don't get Deuce, we'll be able to get somebody else who'd be a massive step up from Joseph in that DP slot, but I can dream.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 02, 2013, 07:02:46 PM »
So here I was, ready to write a huge, longwinded opinion stating that Dempsey, his dream of playing in the Champions League now dashed, still had some useful life in the UK. He could have teamed up with Timmy in Everton, or even Jozy in Sunderland. And who knows, maybe a miracle happened and he proved himself worthy of being one of the best midfielders in the Premier League.

Thank God I didn't, because it looks like Dempsey really is going to Seattle. Eff yeah...

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 03, 2013, 06:09:18 AM »
A reporter who covers the Sounders pointed out on Twitter that now 10 of the 15 goals the U.S. national team has scored in World Cup qualifying have been scored by Sounders players (Eddie Johnson, Brad Evans, and now Cint Dempsey).

J.P. Corbran

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 03, 2013, 08:41:11 AM »
The thing is, I'd love Dempsey signing for (mostly) any MLS team, as it would and will be huge for the league and for American soccer in general. I just get extra lucky and have my favorite player on my favorite team.

J.P. Corbran

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
So it's official, Omar Gonzalez is LA's third DP. While the Sounders fan in me is happy that the Galaxy decided to waste their last DP slot on a defender when they could have gotten someone much more dangerous, the USMNT fan in me is upset that the man who is supposed to be the anchor of our backline for years to come will apparently never be tested by the best competition in the world. At least with Dempsey he got several years at that level before returning to MLS.

J.P. Corbran

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
Today's the first day of the Premier League season, so between that and MLS there's a whole lot of soccer today. My Reds kicked the season off with a win over Stoke City; how's everyone else's team doing?

J.P. Corbran

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
In Portugal I go for Benfica, and they play tomorrow. Other than that I'm just interested in seeing how well Mourinho, Cristiano Ronaldo, and other players do.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
With the NFL I find myself more interested in games not involving my team because of fantasy football, and I'm finding the U.S. national team doing the same thing in terms of European soccer. I care about Sunderland because of Jozy Altidore, and Everton because of Tim Howard. The only reason I'd even begin to care about Serie A is Michael Bradley. This brings an all new dimension to the sport for me.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
So, who were the big team coming out of Championship League 1 last season? Cardiff? Crystal Palace? Because it definitely wasn't Hull City - who happened to play Chelsea in Matchweek 1 of the Premier League. My god, what a shamble of ball possession on their part. Sheesh.

I'm expecting big things out of Chelsea this season. Though, my team, Manchester United, played really well against Swansea - all with only 30 minutes of play from Wayne Rooney. And Rooney, after all of his tiring post and pre-season bids to leave United, did exactly what I thought he'd do out on the pitch...

Aside from his fantastic pass at the end of the game assisting Danny Welbeck for an extra time goal, he played a bit half-heartedly. Why would you not WANT to be a part of a winning team? Gah.

Premier League is off to a great start after one week. Here's to any NWR forum-goer's team getting on well this season. Cheers!
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
Keep trying to keep up with sports but than eventually fallout. So this season i'm following Arsenal. I wish premier league had something similar to MLS live.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline Sarail

• View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
Shingi, in North America, if your cable/satellite company carries NBC Sports Network, you can download the NBCSN Live Extra app - which enables you to watch ANY televised Premier League match on your mobile. It's quite handy.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Soren

• View Profile
So this season i'm following Arsenal.

Are you sure you want to do that? It's ok, we totally won't judge you if you pick another team to follow. It's still very early in the season.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
I thought arsenal was supposed to be a pretty solid team.

@Racht

No go since I don't have cable. (though I might try to use my uncles.)

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
My socceroo's are doing really badly, but then again soccer isn't Australia's thing!
Made you look ****.

Offline Sarail

• View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven

@Racht

No go since I don't have cable. (though I might try to use my uncles.)
Considering that Wegner didn't scout entirely too well in the off-season...nah, they're kind of in a rut. The team are in negative standing with their fans - "Farcenal," I'm reading a bit online. For instance, I have spent more money for my toilet paper than Wegner has spent in the entire off-season. It's a shame, really, because ever since van Persie signed with Man United, it's almost like the team have been jilted.

Tottenham, Liverpool, Man United, Man City, and Chelsea are all contenders for the trophy this season. But then, anything could happen. It's going to be an exciting season.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Soren

• View Profile

Yeah but you're not going to have any fun watching them. They have no hope of winning a title, are probably looking at an early exit from the Champions League,  they haven't spent a single cent in the transfer market and they have no depth. And just like this weekend where they got tossed around by a weaker Aston Villa team at home it's going to be a lot of cheering for Giroud and Walcott followed by lots of venom for Arsen Wenger.

Tottenham, Liverpool, Man United, Man City, and Chelsea are all contenders for the trophy this season.

No way. Liverpool finish 4th. Maybe. But they'll be out of it pretty early on.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
Liverpool looked pretty impressive in that first game. The offense was really clicking, could have been a 4-0 blowout if not for several big saves by Stoke's keeper. They probably won't be in the title race, though, which I'd say is probably just United, City and Chelsea. They're definitely a strong contender for the final Champions League slot, though.

J.P. Corbran

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
I think I've finally recovered emotionally from last night's insanity. I didn't think it was possible, but that game lived up to the massive hype. Back and forth, with big plays at both ends of the pitch, and incredibly physical. Portland played tough (too tough at times, with crazy hits on Dempsey and that guy kneeing EJ in the head when he was on the ground) but it's hard to stop this now finally almost entirely healthy Sounders team.

Dempsey still didn't get his first goal in rave green, but he had a number of very near misses. I think the lack of Obafemi Martins in the attack limits what he can do when he has to play forward the whole game. Mauro Rosales, who two months ago was looking old and slow, continued his recent hot streak by setting up the winning goal. Eddie Johnson got the big goal to break a bit of an MLS slump and continues his streak of scoring in Cascadia play. DeAndre Yedlin is an exciting young player who made multiple big defensive plays and will be playing for Jurgen Klinnsman before too long. And Michael Gspurnning reminded everyone why he's one of the best keepers in MLS by coming up big the few times he needed to.

Onward to Columbus!

J.P. Corbran

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
Hopefully my boys kick some sounders ass tonight.