Author Topic: People Will Eventually Understand Wii U According To Miyamoto  (Read 8698 times)

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Re: People Will Eventually Understand Wii U According To Miyamoto
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2013, 12:41:45 PM »
Is it just me, or does Ian do nothing but bitch and complain about Nintendo? It's like that is the only thing he posts about. Nintendo could find a way to let u play every single game ever made, for free, and he would still find something about it to complain about.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2013, 12:56:12 PM »
1. You can, in fact, clean a screen. It's supposed to be touched.

2. The GamePad is not expensive. Nintendo just wants people to think it's worth $170 and a kidney for replacements and those sold separately. The most expensive part is the screen which can't be more than $30 (if that) which is then paired with less than $10 of other pieces. All controllers are sold with ridiculous profit margins. Do you really think an Xbox 360 controller costs Microsoft anywhere near MSRP in 2013? Peripherals sold separately are a gold mine, especially the primary one you need to operate a console with. You're probably not getting swindled on a controller that comes with a console sold at a loss. You're paying less than the manufacturer did. Why does this continually need to be explained to you?

Sigh, I keep taking the bait. Ten lashings for me.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 01:01:43 PM by Adrock »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2013, 01:21:09 PM »
Is it just me, or does Ian do nothing but bitch and complain about Nintendo? It's like that is the only thing he posts about. Nintendo could find a way to let u play every single game ever made, for free, and he would still find something about it to complain about.

Ian's been doing nothing but relentlessly and irrationally complaining about Nintendo since before you joined the forums, since before I joined the forums, and most likely since before there were forums.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2013, 01:34:20 PM »
It's called the Gamecube version, isn't it?
no there is a thing in the options menu to turn off at least the pointer
but you still cant use the cube controller so :/

Offline Fjurbanski

• Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2013, 01:35:14 PM »
Don't use the stylus!  Just smudge the screen to all **** with your thumbprints!  I maintain that the whole execution of that was completely idiotic since Super Mario World did it over ten years earlier with a button and no one complained.  And if they really wanted to have it on the screen they could have it work with either a click OR a button press.  All the menus in that game support the touchscreen but you can still move around them with the d-pad and such.

You can maintain whatever you want, but you're still being illogical and unreasonable. There's no negative to moving something like that to the touchscreen. It's just as easy, you have to move your thumb the same amount of distance, and it takes less than 3 seconds to understand it and get used to it. And it's not a negative to touch a touchscreen. That's what it's there for. Especially when it's a secondary screen, and you're not getting smudges on your main screen. If it still bothers you that much you could always take another 3 seconds out of your day to wipe the smudges off.

Besides, why even waste your time complaining about one of the least intrusive implementations of touch control when games like Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks are staring you right in the face saying, "Use us! We'll actually HELP your argument, rather than hurt it!"

You're spouting so much blind hate that you must be trolling. I'm outta here.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 01:37:54 PM by Fjurbanski »
Add me on Wii U. : ) --> FJUrban

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2013, 01:51:58 PM »
Besides, why even waste your time complaining about one of the least intrusive implementations of touch control when games like Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks are staring you right in the face saying, "Use us! We'll actually HELP your argument, rather than hurt it!"

He mentioned the 2 Zelda DS games earlier in this topic. Or at least I think he did. We have at least 3 different major threads right now more or less about the same subject, so it's easy to get those multiple page-long rants confused but I remember him mentioning Nintendo "ruining 2 DS Zelda games" somewhere recently.  :-\
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2013, 01:56:27 PM »

He mentioned the 2 Zelda DS games earlier in this topic. Or at least I think he did. We have at least 3 different major threads right now more or less about the same subject, so it's easy to get those multiple page-long rants confused but I remember him mentioning Nintendo "ruining 2 DS Zelda games" somewhere recently.  :-\
Those games sucked anyway (although ironically phantom hourglass was my first zelda game)
it doesn't help that he is a complete hypocrite with it.... i have had so much fun countering one example of his with another example of his it's not even funny

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2013, 02:00:35 PM »
Those games sucked anyway (although ironically phantom hourglass was my first zelda game)
it doesn't help that he is a complete hypocrite with it.... i have had so much fun countering one example of his with another example of his it's not even funny

I've been meaning to give Spirit Tracks a try for a while now (if only for completion's sake), but I've just never gotten to it.  While I also didn't care for the touchscreen-only controls in in Phantom Hourglass, that wasn't what killed that game for me.  What made me stop playing were the frequent trips into that damn Temple of the Ocean King.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Fjurbanski

• Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2013, 02:07:32 PM »

Ah, you're right, he did. I guess I didn't notice because he mentioned them in passing, while fixating on the more illogical complaints. That's my bad, but my overall point still stands. Don't blame the touchscreen, blame the devs. It's a good addition that just needs to be utilized correctly, which plenty of people have done.

I've been meaning to give Spirit Tracks a try for a while now (if only for completion's sake), but I've just never gotten to it.  While I also didn't care for the touchscreen-only controls in in Phantom Hourglass, that wasn't what killed that game for me.  What made me stop playing were the frequent trips into that damn Temple of the Ocean King.

I wouldn't bother. You do the same annoying temple visits on top of the horrible controls. I couldn't even finish the game.
Add me on Wii U. : ) --> FJUrban

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2013, 02:39:17 PM »
I thought the dungeons in Spirit Tracks were fantastic. I wasn't as hot on the overworld and train stuff, but it was still a really fun game.
Gouge away.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2013, 03:22:27 PM »
Ian lacks imagination.

There is a whole thread dedicated to new game ideas and it covers the mundane to the ambitious. I suggest you read it.

Now does that solve the issue of developers being less than creative with the DS, 3DS, and Wii U? No. The potential is still there, however.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2013, 04:48:03 PM »
I've only talked more about NSMB because that's what people started getting on my ass about.  I mentioned the Zelda games and no one said anything about them but everyone jumped on my NSMB example so I responded.  And I stand by my point that it's a good example of forced touchscreen usage as the rest of the game just uses the standard controls but this one little part REQUIRES the touchscreen despite the very same functionality being available in an old Super Nintendo game where it just used a button.  It doesn't ruin the whole game or anything but the obvious design was that they had not used the touchscreen and felt compelled to use it in some way.  They weren't confident enough in the concept to just leave it out of the game completely but could not come up with any worthwhile use of it in that game either.

I actually was quite enthusiastic about Nintendo as the Gamecube was due to come out but lost patience with them over time.  The infamous Pac-Man Vs. E3 where we found out that Nintendo's "plans" for online play was effectively an outright lie was a major turning point as it betrayed any trust I had in them.  I really hate the Wii so that's a whole videogame generation of me not liking Nintendo's direction and waiting to see if they right the ship next gen, which I'm not particularly optimistic about but the Wii U is still too new to write it off completely.  I like Nintendo a lot when they're delivering the goods and am frustrated when they don't because I know they are capable of better.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2013, 05:11:40 PM »
To be fair, Pac-Man Vs. is better than literally every online game I've ever played.

J.P. Corbran

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2013, 06:04:30 PM »
I've only talked more about NSMB because that's what people started getting on my ass about.  I mentioned the Zelda games and no one said anything about them but everyone jumped on my NSMB example so I responded.  And I stand by my point that it's a good example of forced touchscreen usage as the rest of the game just uses the standard controls but this one little part REQUIRES the touchscreen despite the very same functionality being available in an old Super Nintendo game where it just used a button.
last i checked the Super Nintendo version didn't have 3 items and i don't see 3 select buttons, do you?

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2013, 06:25:32 PM »
Hell Nintendo made me touch the second screen in NSMB to access my stored power-up despite the game requiring no stylus usage otherwise.  On what planet is pulling out a stylus in the middle of Mario to click on some icon more convenient than the select button method used in Super Mario World that literally no person ever complained about?  When you get to that kind of nonsense, you're not making the game better for me, you're just trying to shoehorn in your stupid gimmick....

Horrible argument. Don't pull out the stylus, just use your thumb.

Don't use the stylus!  Just smudge the screen to all **** with your thumbprints! 
Oh Noes! Smudgie Wudgies!
Yeah, you lost me right there.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Mataata

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page!
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2013, 09:17:24 PM »
I agree with him, actually. Whenever I have ideas for games I defaultly imagine them with a touch screen and often wish games had a touch screen. I drool over the idea of games like Skyrim or Banjo-Kazooie having touch screens!
I love the Power Glove! It's so bad!

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2013, 10:56:22 AM »
Touching is Good
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2013, 11:23:15 AM »
I think the GamePad's fantastic and i wih every game I play could have a second screen. The game I've spent by far the most time with on my Wii U is FIFA 13, and I would really hate to have to go back to playing it on another system without the great functionality the GamePad provides. I think if Nintendo markets it properly they can get people to understand how great the GamePad can be b

J.P. Corbran

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2013, 12:30:07 PM »
To be fair, Pac-Man Vs. is better than literally every online game I've ever played.

I don't even really play games online myself but it was the principle of it, where they used this feature as a marketing bullet point, probably made some sales specifically on the promise of online play, and then effectively cancelled it in a way that made it clear that there was never any intention of using the feature in the first place.  They lied to us and it's hard to maintain a positive attitude towards a company you feel is trying to screw you.  I also didn't like it because it played to the criticism of Nintendo being behind-the-times with technology.  They didn't go online when the rest of the industry did just like how they didn't go with optical discs when the rest of the industry did.  Nintendo had confirmed in the minds of gamers that they were overly conservative luddites and I knew at that point that the Gamecube was going to finish in last place.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2013, 12:37:30 PM »

I don't even really play games online myself but it was the principle of it, where they used this feature as a marketing bullet point, probably made some sales specifically on the promise of online play, and then effectively cancelled it in a way that made it clear that there was never any intention of using the feature in the first place.  They lied to us and it's hard to maintain a positive attitude towards a company you feel is trying to screw you.  I also didn't like it because it played to the criticism of Nintendo being behind-the-times with technology.  They didn't go online when the rest of the industry did just like how they didn't go with optical discs when the rest of the industry did.  Nintendo had confirmed in the minds of gamers that they were overly conservative luddites and I knew at that point that the Gamecube was going to finish in last place.
the only way to do so was through sony and phillips, sony was not easy to get along with and phillips... i think we were better off with cartridges. i suspect that as a result of one of those deals nintendo couldn't use disc based media on the n64 given all the effort they made to do so...

the online thing is another story however

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2013, 01:20:31 PM »
Maybe at the time we weren't better off with CDs, but in retrospect, how many of those cartridges have stood the test of time?
black fairy tales are better at sports