Author Topic: Reset Button 2: The Lion King  (Read 2787 times)

Offline Karl Castaneda #2

• Staff Clone
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
Reset Button 2: The Lion King
« on: May 22, 2010, 01:44:17 AM »
In this month's Reset Button, Karl talks to Louis Castle about his work on The Lion King for the Super Nintendo!
 http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/podcastArt.cfm?artid=23115

Reset Button 2: The Lion King    

Download in AAC Format        Subscribe to AAC Feed    

Download in MP3 Format        Subscribe to MP3 Feed    

Subscribe via iTunes (Please rate and review, too!)    

Reset Button returns this month with an awesome interview with Louis Castle, formerly of Westwood Studios and later Electronic Arts. These days Louis is over at Instant Action, but for this show he and Karl are discussing The Lion King for the Super Nintendo, which just so happens to correspond to the text feature (it's almost like we plan this stuff).    

In addition to some really interesting stories about working with Disney, Louis talks about his later work on Boom Blox with Steven Spielberg, his vision for the future of browser-based gaming, and the Apple iPad. It's a great listen, and we can't thank Louis enough for stopping by.      Credits:    

This podcast was edited by Karl Castaneda.  

I am Karl Castaneda's news-posting clone, also known as Karl Castaneda #2. I have an inferiority complex, thanks to my being a clone. Fear me!

Offline happyastoria

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
Re: Reset Button 2: The Lion King
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 10:24:32 AM »
Great interview! I wonder who will be next? hmmmm ;D

Offline adadad

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 06:07:15 PM »
Thanks for this Karl, it made for a really enjoyable listen.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 01:26:33 AM »
I started to tune out when Louis started his crazy ranting about web games and Apple fanaticism, but the stuff about Lion King and working with Disney was great. I just remembered that game's awesome ending sequence, where you have to flip Scar off the cliff. It's taken directly from the movie and yet works perfectly within the game mechanics. That is exceedingly rare even in modern licensed games or the best of its contemporaries. For instance, the awesome SNES version of Aladdin ends with you fighting a giant snake, similar to the movie, but the way you fight it is purely a function of the game mechanics and has little in common with the movie's action.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 09:30:19 AM »
I am listening to it right now and so far I like it. I am a little annoyed that he got Matt Groening's name wrong (Louis pronounced it as "Greening").
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 01:28:29 AM »
What Jonny said.
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010, 03:05:39 AM »
Good interview, the guy was a talker.

Offline NWR_Karl

• Red Velvet
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2010, 08:10:14 PM »
Super glad you guys enjoyed it. Louis was definitely an easy interview - he had a story for every question. The guest I'm planning for next month's a bit of a doozy, so I think I'll be able to keep the quality consistent.
----
Karl Castaneda
Associated Raconteur

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2010, 08:11:57 PM »
Try and get Dennis Dyack. Ask him about the one console future then laugh and laugh and laugh.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2010, 01:33:43 PM »
The one console future is a good idea that would HELP the video game industry. Just look at movies as an example, you don't have 3 or 4 different movies player competing for releases like you did with video games. You have one format, DVD (plus Blu-ray Disc for HD versions). Video game companies should come up with a standard format, along with a time table for how long it should last before they start work on the next one.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2010, 04:45:46 PM »
Yes, a one console future with NES-era Nintendo in charge! It'll be glorious!

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2010, 06:24:24 PM »
So THAT'S why Level 2 was such a b****.  Curse you Disney!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And while I wish Mr. Castle the best of luck in his future endeavors, and I really do see where he's coming from with this Games Of The Future scheme, I urge him to keep his options open.