Author Topic: The Legend of Zelda U and Mii  (Read 11338 times)

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
Re: The Legend of Zelda U and Mii
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2013, 10:11:00 PM »
thats what I thought it was...like duck hunt with link...and or what i play when the fair comes to town.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2013, 12:02:47 AM »
"If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Offline kraken613

• tinyurl.com/2lrx46
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2013, 01:19:40 AM »
You'll have two players (One on the TV, one on the Game Pad... or, perhaps, via online? play?) and you'll both be working through the "same", but different dungeon.  Things I do in mine will effect yours and the other way around.  We'll have to work together to solve puzzles, but I can't just get annoyed by you and go do it all myself.

What if they had "Journey esque" multiplayer. It would fit in well with how Nintendo does online.
~David~
3DS: 5214-9250-6646 - David
Playing Now: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2013, 07:04:20 AM »
I still don't get were people are getting this multiplayer idea from.  Aonuma's comments about what it means to play alone sound more like he's they're going to fix the partner hint system since people have complained about Fi the most in Skyward Sword.

Basically if they're going back to basics of the original Zelda with non linear dungeon progression, then they might be getting rid of your partner or at least changing it so they're not constantly telling you what to do like most in the other 3D Zelda's have.  Making it more like the older 2D Zelda games were you have no partner telling you what to do all the time.

That what it seems like to me because I doubt Nintendo would take one of their most successful single player series, and suddenly make it more multi-player focused.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2013, 08:14:32 AM »
I doubt Nintendo would take one of their most successful single player series, and suddenly make it more multi-player focused.
That's true. It's like if they did that with Mario or something...........

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2013, 11:11:48 AM »
I still don't get were people are getting this multiplayer idea from.  Aonuma's comments about what it means to play alone sound more like he's they're going to fix the partner hint system since people have complained about Fi the most in Skyward Sword.

Basically if they're going back to basics of the original Zelda with non linear dungeon progression, then they might be getting rid of your partner or at least changing it so they're not constantly telling you what to do like most in the other 3D Zelda's have.  Making it more like the older 2D Zelda games were you have no partner telling you what to do all the time.

That what it seems like to me because I doubt Nintendo would take one of their most successful single player series, and suddenly make it more multi-player focused.

I don't see why both options can't apply. Ever since the Tingle Tuner or was it 4 Swords on the GBA? Either way they've shown some interest in a multiplayer Zelda. They've come a long way with it in Mario and even tried it twice in 3D Mario. I just feel like this is the natural evolution for Nintendo's franchises. Having just one more player on the adventure seems do well for sales and I'm sure they see that.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2013, 01:48:42 PM »

I never for a second even thought of that until you pointed it out.  Still if you said "play alone" I would assume you meant playing alone with no other real people involved, instead of videogame characters.

Nintendo is also nutso about the Miiverse and they made Mario multiplayer.  They're really into the idea of gamers communicating or whatever these days.  So I naturally make the assumption that somehow they're going to tie in the Miiverse of have somebody else using the Gamepad or something like that.

I don't even think of Zelda games having partners, even though every single 3D one has it.  I guess that just shows how unnecessary that concept has been, that I would pretty much forget about it.  Part of Navi's design was to disguise the targetting as something within the game world, which was a clever idea.  Yet now they don't try to disguise the targetting but have kept in the annoying nag sidekick.  Seems like someone lost track of the original purpose along the way.

These four player FPS ideas sounds so unappealing to me.  That seems so far removed from Zelda gameplay, why would that even make sense?

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2013, 02:24:56 PM »
I just want to be surprised. I almost don't care how. I just want one moment in the game where I'm like "Woah, holy ****!" and I'll be happy.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2013, 10:45:47 PM »
When I look at this new Monolithsoft game that sense of epic scale is what I would like for Zelda. Being able to ride a horse or flying a bird across a landscape like that would really feel adventurous. It doesn't have to be barren either, just wide enough to feel like a real world with caves, towns shrines and other puzzly things scattered about. There could be big open Xenoblade areas and then dense SS like areas that require a lot of puzzles to make it out of but not a full on dungeon.

Xenoblade has a LOT of open space to explore, but there are actual places of interest that can be found if you keep following that scary cliff side. That sense of discovery has been lost to me in just about every 3D title. They are there sure, but most of the time you have to go that way to beat the game. There are caves in Xenoblade with monsters hanging out in that I saw from a distance but never found. It gives such a sense of wonder.  It's nice finding massive areas that aren't required to beat the game but can still enhance your adventure in a major way.

Imagine that zany curvy landscape from Xenoblade, those mountainous portions, then imagine places to hook shot underneath leading to a completely optional maze within the mountain? Or the ocean looks so far out you would never take the time to cross it, for fear of time or maybe big whale monsters eat you. But one day you just decide to see what's out there and make it past all the sharks to find a pea sized desert island rescuing some stranded pirate who has a really neat optional weapon?

I would argue Banjo and Kazooie gave off more of a mysterious aura to its areas.

I would love to fly again on a bird, preferably an owl or eagle but just looking at this new Monolith game with the mech transportation and I'm reminded of how I imagined skyward sword to be. When Iwata hinted we would be flying  thought he meant flying over herds of animals ad crossing bodies of water.

RomanceDawn

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2013, 11:16:00 PM »
Caterkiller reminded me of last summer's trip to Ecuador and we wound up in some nature park that resembles the rainforest (which wasn't far off I believe) and there was a path along a smal clif side maybe 10 feet up from a, i believe, shallow river. I decided to take that path and see how far I could get, there were some really small spaces where I didn't think I could find footing, especially on some of the wet rocks.. I mean, even if I fell in and it was shallow, I don't know whats in that water! I don't just mean fish either, like parasites or bacteria and **** would be awful!

At one point I wanted to turn back but said **** it, when was I ever going to go on this mini-adventure near the rain forest again? Exactly. There was one moment where i had to grab on to some protruding roots from the side of the cliffside and I was *this* close to slipping off. It was just before this steep little incline, so narrow I had to put one foot directly in front of the other, but I got through it and before long I was on level ground and caught up with the family.

Good times :D
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2013, 01:53:01 PM »
When I look at this new Monolithsoft game that sense of epic scale is what I would like for Zelda. Being able to ride a horse or flying a bird across a landscape like that would really feel adventurous. It doesn't have to be barren either, just wide enough to feel like a real world with caves, towns shrines and other puzzly things scattered about. There could be big open Xenoblade areas and then dense SS like areas that require a lot of puzzles to make it out of but not a full on dungeon.

When OoT came out, the world was not that big but was big enough to impress for the time.  My natural assumption was that it was entirely because of hardware restrictions and that was the widest scope they could do at the time and that in later generations Hyrule would get much bigger.  But it didn't really and it wasn't until Xenoblade where I really felt like I was getting the kind of scale I expected out of later Zelda titles.

I wonder if my assumptions and EAD's intentions are different and only appeared to correspond on the N64.  I saw OoT and MM as the most ambitious world you could make in a videogame at the time.  Perhaps EAD saw it as exactly the kind of scope they wanted and had no desire to go further.  Hell, I notice that with EAD in general.  On the N64 it seemed like they pushed the graphics in each game but on the Cube EAD seemed content to reach that Mario Sunshine kind of level and go no further, and they really haven't since.  What I saw as "push the envelope regarding graphics" was really just them pushing it until they got to their ideal (and that probably played a major part in the Wii's hardware being so weak; the big shots at Nintendo like Miyamoto had reached their personal graphics peak and had little incentive to use better hardware).

For me Zelda is about epic ambition in videogame design but for Miyamoto it may have entirely been about him bringing his childhood memories of cave exploration to videogame form and he accomplished that a long time ago.  The ambition and innovation was merely necessary to achieve his goal, while I though ambition and innovation WAS the goal.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2013, 10:55:55 PM »
Caterkiller reminded me of last summer's trip to Ecuador and we wound up in some nature park that resembles the rainforest (which wasn't far off I believe) and there was a path along a smal clif side maybe 10 feet up from a, i believe, shallow river. I decided to take that path and see how far I could get, there were some really small spaces where I didn't think I could find footing, especially on some of the wet rocks.. I mean, even if I fell in and it was shallow, I don't know whats in that water! I don't just mean fish either, like parasites or bacteria and **** would be awful!

At one point I wanted to turn back but said **** it, when was I ever going to go on this mini-adventure near the rain forest again? Exactly. There was one moment where i had to grab on to some protruding roots from the side of the cliffside and I was *this* close to slipping off. It was just before this steep little incline, so narrow I had to put one foot directly in front of the other, but I got through it and before long I was on level ground and caught up with the family.

Good times :D

one time i was camping and i split up from my group, and then i got stuck on a steep hillside overlooking a rocky cliff. It took 20 minutes to clmb my way back up to safety.  I felt like a turtle exposed. The adrenaline rush however was quit invigorating.

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2013, 11:37:52 PM »

When OoT came out, the world was not that big but was big enough to impress for the time.  My natural assumption was that it was entirely because of hardware restrictions and that was the widest scope they could do at the time and that in later generations Hyrule would get much bigger.  But it didn't really and it wasn't until Xenoblade where I really felt like I was getting the kind of scale I expected out of later Zelda titles.

I wonder if my assumptions and EAD's intentions are different and only appeared to correspond on the N64.  I saw OoT and MM as the most ambitious world you could make in a videogame at the time.  Perhaps EAD saw it as exactly the kind of scope they wanted and had no desire to go further.  Hell, I notice that with EAD in general.  On the N64 it seemed like they pushed the graphics in each game but on the Cube EAD seemed content to reach that Mario Sunshine kind of level and go no further, and they really haven't since.  What I saw as "push the envelope regarding graphics" was really just them pushing it until they got to their ideal (and that probably played a major part in the Wii's hardware being so weak; the big shots at Nintendo like Miyamoto had reached their personal graphics peak and had little incentive to use better hardware).

For me Zelda is about epic ambition in videogame design but for Miyamoto it may have entirely been about him bringing his childhood memories of cave exploration to videogame form and he accomplished that a long time ago.  The ambition and innovation was merely necessary to achieve his goal, while I though ambition and innovation WAS the goal.

I remember when playing WW setting sail in the King of Red Lions for the first time attempting to make it to the next island. Because the actual sea was so huge and we had the power of the GameCube I honestly thought a huge island would be waiting on the other end. Who were those bird people, the Rito? Once I made it there and then later passed one of those nickel sized islands I realized the world would more or less be smaller than OoT or MM. As much as I loved Skyward Sword and enjoyed TP the first time through, I feel at this point the scale of Zelda is as good as its ever going to get. Of course I can't see the future so hopefully we will get surprised.

I liked that SS's Hyrule Town seemed to be hustling and bustling with people, even if half of them didn't speak to you, it felt like a living town. I just hate that there is never more than one major town. The Zora seem to all share the same big hole in the ground filled with water, and the gorons just live in hole in the side of the mountain. They all just sleep on the ground and it never seems like they have individual lives like the humans. Of course there are exceptions where the Elders are housed and so on, but I never get a sense that anyone lives anywhere.

I'd love a huge grid the size of WW or Xenoblade but with lots of places of interest and more big towns with more people throughout. Nintendo does seem to listen to our cries on message boards and Nintendo club surveys, I figure asking for epic scale the similar to Xenoblade couldn't hurt, but at the same time we have to let them know there has to be something to do in these open areas.

RomanceDawn

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2013, 08:36:57 PM »
At some point I wonder what a Zelda game by the assassin's creed team would be like. Sure it would need to have Zelda like controls and story, but one thing the Assassin's creed people do well is make a big world with lots of detail and lots of npcs. Nintendo was talking about working with partners. It would be interesting for say Ubisoft to handle the world and Nintendo to handle the dungeons. The best Zelda game(not counting SS because i haven't played it) for cities would be Majora's mask. I loved that the city was so interactive and the npcs all had personalities and a story. It was a game where the sidequests for me were more of a goal of the game then the actual main quest.

Offline AnGer

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2013, 03:18:16 AM »
I would also like to see a different team's approach on the Zelda franchise, even better if it were one that has never been working with Nintendo before. Or just let Retro Studios do their thing.

Also, I'd love to see them making a differen combat system. Nothing like what we see in God of War or Darksiders, but at least make combat feel like you need to struggle with the enemies around you instead of just "block and hit".
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 03:27:17 AM by AnGer »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2013, 03:23:32 AM »
As great as a Retro-made Zelda would probably be, if they're not doing a new IP like they should be I'd much rather them do Star Fox than Zelda or Metroid.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline AnGer

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2013, 06:54:27 AM »
Yes, working on an all-new IP really is what Retro should do first and foremost. But really, the next thing they should make is Zelda.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2013, 03:04:40 PM »
I have this feeling that someday Retro is going to leave Nintendo in some way (assuming they even can since they're first party) or have a major chunk of their core employees split off to form their own company, and then release some killer game of their own IP that becomes some huge hit for some other company, while Nintendo misses out having spent their entire time with Retro insisting on using existing IP.  It will also come to light that Retro pitched the new megahit IP to Nintendo many times and had it turned down in favour of working on Mario Kart tracks or some ****.  And the game will not be released on Nintendo consoles, even if it is third party.

Their first game came out TEN YEARS AGO and we have yet to see anything from them that was not already an existing Nintendo franchise.  Yet we still call for them to make Star Fox and Zelda.  Some day what I described above is totally going to happen and Nintendo is going to look like dumb assholes.  It's the perfect poetic justice for the situation.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2013, 03:09:55 PM »
The people at Retro seem happy doing what they are doing. Hell, even the employees that HAVE left Retro just keep doing the same thing (343 Industries is filled with ex-Retro employees and Halo 4 is essentially a Metroid Prime clone).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2013, 04:11:32 PM »
have a major chunk of their core employees split off to form their own company,
That happened already at least once. Retro goes through major staff reshuffling after almost every release. Exoduses between MP1 and MP2 and the one before DKCR were particularly big as far as i remember.

It will also come to light that Retro pitched the new megahit IP to Nintendo many times and had it turned down in favour of working on Mario Kart tracks or some ****.
Also happened at least twice as far as we know.

For someone who speaks of Retro so highly, Ian doesn't know even the most basic facts about it.

I am not even that crazy about Retro
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 04:14:36 PM by azeke »
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2013, 05:40:01 PM »
There will always be those employees who just can't stand anything they do but it's all they got so they keep showing up. I can't see Retro as we know it splitting from Nintendo and then making a 3rd party game with no Nintendo version. If that happens Retro would more or less be the new and current Rare, at that point their game will do nothing for nobody.

If we didn't get word from Retro themselves about wanting to do DKC then I would think you were on to something. I would absolutely love something new from them, but if I had to choose Metroid and DK being left in obscurity or a new IP from them in the last 10 years then I would choose Metroid and DK any day. Of course that's all hypothetical fanfiction.

I'm glad Metroid and DK are established franchises again, if they end up rebooting Star Fox wonderful! I don't doubt they will have something new for us eventually, I say just give it time. I honestly believe this is the generation we see their own IP as well.

RomanceDawn

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2013, 06:38:32 PM »
It will also come to light that Retro pitched the new megahit IP to Nintendo many times and had it turned down in favour of working on Mario Kart tracks or some ****.
Also happened at least twice as far as we know.

For someone who speaks of Retro so highly, Ian doesn't know even the most basic facts about it.

I am not even that crazy about Retro

How did my hypothetical megahit new IP that does not actually exist already get turned down by Nintendo twice?  How is that fact?  I know Nintendo cancelled some ideas from Retro early on but we don't know if they were truly any good.  We can only "know" this after it happens.

I'm glad they worked on the Metroid Prime games but couldn't give two shits if DKC Returns ever existed or not since Nintendo was going nuts on retro 2D platformers on the Wii anyway so DK being dormant does not deny me of any specific gameplay style.  The guys make great games and would probably do a great job of Zelda, but their games are good enough that I can't believe that they're content with just working with existing Nintendo IP the whole time.  No way do they make the great games they do without creativity and creative people don't like to play it safe the whole time.  Creative talent wants to try new things and challenge themselves.  Though if given enough leeway they could satisfy those creative urges within an existing IP.

Getting back to Zelda I would rather see Retro's take on it, than see them go back to Metroid or make another DKC while EAD churns out another Zelda that's decent but doesn't really stand out.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2013, 10:57:38 PM »
How did my hypothetical megahit new IP that does not actually exist already get turned down by Nintendo twice?  How is that fact?
It's not a fact. It's your desire to see Nintendo's getting TOLD, because... because clouds in the sky, i guess.
It IS a fact that Nintendo denied Metroid Dread and Sheik game, though. That wasn't early at all.

Also that dudebro FPS that guys who eventually left before DKCR wanted to make.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2013, 11:00:32 PM »
This is the first I have hear of a Sheik video game. And the only appearance of "Metroid Dread" was a listing in Nintendo Power of E3 games (which they later said was a mistake).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2013, 12:28:15 PM »
I never heard about Metroid Dread being associated with Retro.  I thought it was the assumed follow-up to Metroid Fusion which would be made by R&D1.