Author Topic: I put to you this question  (Read 3566 times)

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
I put to you this question
« on: February 14, 2013, 09:38:22 AM »
How many great games do you need per system? And how expendable are those games you play once and never need to play again?
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
Re: I put to you this question
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 09:45:40 AM »
8 games. 8 great games is all I need to come back to, to reminisce.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 09:49:36 AM »
I say for me roughly 20, 5 of which have to have great multiplayer. I'd say half are expendable.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 09:59:33 AM »
I play fewer and fewer games every year and typically only complete campaigns once. Other M and Uncharted 2 are the only games I've completed more than once this generation (Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition as well if you count having completed it previously on GameCube). I purchase games based on my interest in a game. I don't need games. i won't buy something just because it's available. I have to want to play it. I buy more when there are more games I want to play so it buy in spurts. As far as gaming as a past time I enjoy, a really good game every few months is enough for me. Most games are expendible to me.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 10:02:35 AM by Adrock »

Offline alegoicoe

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 11:26:27 AM »
I'll say about 10 to 15 in the life span of the system. Thats about how many games i own for Wii. On PS3 and 360 combined I have 11.
Nintendo Network ID: LivByDCreed
Switch Friend Code: SW-4906-9561-1308

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 11:55:53 AM »
Six great games, but at least a dozen good games.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 12:14:56 PM »
Usually one or two great games is enough for me.

I bought Wii for Mario Galaxy games.
I bought Xbox for Bayonetta and Mortal Kombat.
I bought Wii U for NSMB U and Rayman Legends :sad trombone:
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2013, 12:39:20 PM »
Smash Bros. and whatever Intelligent Systems and Monolith Software make for the console. That's all I need. Everything else is just icing on the cake.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2013, 12:49:47 PM »
I probably need about 4 games a year and a typical console lasts 5 years so that's 20 games.  Now those are all good games but one truly great one a year will suffice.

Years ago this would matter a lot more but I have so much less free time now.  During the Wii's life I went from waiting around for new games to play to having a few titles I have never played because I haven't had time to play a game in months.  In the future when I have kids and such I can probably go with one game a year actually, but we're not there yet.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 12:53:03 PM by Ian Sane »

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2013, 01:13:59 PM »
I probably need about 4 games a year and a typical console lasts 5 years so that's 20 games.  Now those are all good games but one truly great one a year will suffice.

Years ago this would matter a lot more but I have so much less free time now.  During the Wii's life I went from waiting around for new games to play to having a few titles I have never played because I haven't had time to play a game in months.  In the future when I have kids and such I can probably go with one game a year actually, but we're not there yet.

Just wait til those kids hit 5, at that age all I wanted my mom to do with me was play Mario.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2013, 03:09:11 PM »

Just wait til those kids hit 5, at that age all I wanted my mom to do with me was play Mario.
Heh, my three-year-old son wants to play Lego Batman 2 with me all the time.  I come home and he hugs me and then asks to play it. I have a feeling it'll only get worse as he gets older.  The neat thing is I already see him getting better and listening to me when I ask him to walk somewhere or pick something up.  Makes it a whole lot easier to progress through the game. :)

As for the number of games, I don't think it matters.  I really have no time to play games but when I do, I want to play with my wife.  So really, I need maybe 5 (10 at most) good co op games at this point.  The Lego games work with my son.  RE5, Borderlands 1 & 2 and now Dead Space 3  work for playing with my wife (though I bet she'd have fun with the LEGO games a well). :)

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2013, 09:41:56 PM »
depends, if its like a snes i get at a garage sail then a dozen or so will do
a current gen console will need more then that given it will get more attention

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2013, 09:47:18 PM »
I think I need 8-10 great games from various systems.

Honestly if I had 1 good to great game every 2-3 months that is re-playable an truly memorable or a classic I am happy.

Though, I would prefer to have something like 20 games in the life time of a system about 5-6 years of those kind of games.  I have learned I want less games with story and more games that are just fun to play and easy to play again and again...because story focused games usually don't have the replay I want.

By this standard, I am completely happy with the Gamecube, Wii, and Nintendo 64 lineup.  Was highly impressed with the DS lineup and I see the 3DS lineup shaping up nicely.

I think the key is having that diversity in those big hit games though.  I only need one killer platformer, one killer FPS, and one killer Puzzle game, racing game ect.