Author Topic: Desktop Dungeons Free Beta  (Read 1897 times)

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
Desktop Dungeons Free Beta
« on: March 26, 2013, 03:06:38 AM »
After some positive feedback on a game, i thought i should give you heads-up. Just like on last year's GDC, DD Beta went free for a week:

http://www.desktopdungeons.net/desktop-dungeons-beta-free-for-gdc/

If entering your email or the whole unity plugin business is too troublesome for you, at least check out earlier free version of the game:
http://www.desktopdungeons.net/media/

On the game itself:

It's a roguelike. Wait where are you all going? Okay i kid, actually it's a puzzle game.

Actually it's both. Each dungeon is just one screen. Fog of war is the main resource. Each session takes about 10-15 minutes so deaths are no biggie. Monsters are not moving so that makes it more like a puzzle rather than traditional roguelike. Here you have to think ahead of your moves to "solve" randomly generated screens.

Free version was one of my favourite game of 2010 and it's really frustrating seeing developers working on new commercial version of a game and putting more and more and more content and features and wasting literally years on it instead of just releasing the game.

Beta version is usually only available after pre-order on the site.

PS I really wish this game would appear on Wii U or 3DS, hoping guys from notenoughshaders will do something about it, after i emailed them a suggestion.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 03:08:29 AM by azeke »
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline azeke

• View Profile
Re: Desktop Dungeons Free Beta
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 11:31:39 PM »
I've been following the game for years, literally. But only today i knew that Danny Baranowsky and Grant Kirkhope are making music for it. Baranowsky wrote music for Super Meat Boy and i am sure you know who Kirkhope is.
And while i'm at it, full game will also feature great art by Derek Yu (Spelunky).

I just wish it would come out already...

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 11:54:46 PM »
November, 7th. Steam. PC and Mac. $13.50.

IT'S HAPPENNING.gif

Get this game, people. One of the most innovative and sadly overlooked games out there.

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 11:20:18 PM »
Out on Steam.

Unlocked my Steam copy last night.

Interestingly, web based version of the game is still live and my cloud saves are shared between my Steam copy and web version. Pretty cool for me, because i can't launch Steam on my work computer. I even get Steam achievements by playing web version.

The amount of content they added since free version is astounding. I never saw all the content that was in free alpha version four years ago. Since then they added like ten times that. Talk about overkill.