Author Topic: Actor Casting Sudoku Game  (Read 29286 times)

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
Actor Casting Sudoku Game
« on: December 19, 2020, 10:18:11 PM »
Alright. So, I've been thinking about this for years. If you could cast a different actor for a movie or the TV version of that movie, who would it be? Many choices come to mind. Some are based on resemblance, some are based on range, some are bast on typecast, some are odd choices.

So this movie came out over 30 years ago. It was really popular. We can imagine that it didn't come out. Imagine it got thrown around different production teams, countries, was considered for TV. I've picked alternate actors for each main part. What movie is this based on this cast group? Bonus if you can name the theme of each row. and it isn't This is the End.

What movie is this alternate casting for?

NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
Re: Actor Casting Sudoku Game
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2020, 03:34:59 PM »
No bites. So some hints. Collumns going from A-H

A. Sidekick character. Not quite the leading man in this ensemble cast. Nerdy, but not overtly.

B. A cold and aloof person. Very deadpan. Though, not a villain. Extremely smart and intelligent. The brains of the group.

C. A working class member of the group. Joins later. In a normal movie this character would be the main character who would become the window into this world. But not in this movie.

D. The leading man. Sarcastic. Sardonic. Immediately develops a thing for character F. Though, leading man is a stretch because this is an ensemble movie.

E. Character Fs quirky neighbor. This character is throwing a party and wants Character F to show up.

F. A young woman who has a problem. An Ingénue 20-30s.  Invokes the help of characters a-d.

G. A no nonsense receptionist. This character might spice up her hair style from time to time.

H. A city official. A Bureaucrat. A villain in the movie. Not the main villain. Uptight. Confrontational. Petty. It's the type of person who gets into a position of power and just becomes an asshole because they have a small amount of authority.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2020, 03:37:10 PM by ThePerm »

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2020, 05:05:50 PM »
I don't know movies well enough to guess, but I support a good puzzle

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2020, 06:02:03 PM »
Okay PM'ed a guess, but I used the internet so I basically cheated

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2020, 08:22:52 PM »
TOPHATANT123 PM'd me and got the right answer. What method did you use?

Offline TOPHATANT123

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2020, 10:11:24 AM »
Most of the character descriptions could match anything, but G stood out in particular as something fairly distinctive. I then made sure it matched with the other characters like H.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2020, 12:09:28 AM »
Khushrenada correctly guessed the answer

Online Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2020, 02:21:41 PM »
Going to be honest, I'd have never gotten it from the pictures. It was only when reading the descriptions that I finally clued in on this. I originally thought that each row represented a different possible movie. Calling it Sudoku also threw me off because Sudoku generally has to have a solution involving each row, column and then squares. I did then note that there was some possible similarity about each column which was then confirmed by ThePerm's column clues.

It was mainly the clue for Column E which revealed the answer to me especially when then considering Column F and D with it which then allowed me to see how everything else fell into place with the people and clues.

No ideas though with what the theme of each row may be. I'm just not seeing the common threads there.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Online Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2020, 02:36:42 PM »
Like row 4 has five of the eight slots taken by actors from Community. I don't know who that is in column 4 of row 4 but maybe the other 3 guested on Community at one time. I'm just not sure how those outliers connect to the rest.

Likewise, row 8 has connections to pretty much most Seth Rogan and James Franco collaborations. From Freaks and Geeks to Pineapple Express or This is the End which apparently is not a good answer. Just not getting what common bond I'm supposed to be making there.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2020, 06:16:36 PM »
You're right about row 8. They're sort of Apatow related. If I were to redo row 8 I would probably switch Seth Rogen with Jonah Hill. Either could play the part. Honestly part B would probably be better played by Rogen. Further you could have Jonah Hill play E. You could also shift Bill Hader from Row 1 down to Row 8. He was in Superbad.  He looks and sort of sounds like the actor who actually played character A and were both on SNL.

Row 4 is mostly community actors, or sitcom actors, though I dont know if Jon Heder was on a sitcom, but also closer to the cartoon characterizations. Rows 3,6,7, and 8 have solid themes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEyUeCyXl1Q
« Last Edit: December 23, 2020, 06:37:27 PM by ThePerm »

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2020, 07:39:48 PM »
With your hints in the 2nd post and the time of release I'm pretty sure the answer is the first Ghostbusters movie, right? My initial guess was like, Avengers, since there's so many actors. But once the rows click it's probably the only real option?

Did you make this grid yourself? Is there an easy way to do more of these?

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2020, 09:04:51 PM »
Discord.RSS answers the question correctly.

I did it all myself in Photoshop. I'm sure it could be done in Gimp as well. I'm working on another one.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2020, 01:51:50 AM »
Spak-Spang got the answer.  1 more and I'll wrap it up. The input from most is the character descriptions are too clear.

here is an abridged version. Most of the casting above is based on acting, but some of them are based on appearance.

This one is all likeness. Biggest stretch on likeness is Glenn Howerton