Author Topic: Windjammers 2 (Switch) Hands-on Preview  (Read 926 times)

Offline Daan

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
Windjammers 2 (Switch) Hands-on Preview
« on: August 26, 2018, 11:19:00 AM »

The Flying Power Discs make their grand return in 2019. We got to see why.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/hands-on-preview/48110/windjammers-2-switch-hands-on-preview

It's hard to believe, isn’t it? After many years praising the original Windjammers, the friendly folk at DotEmu are putting money and resources behind a sequel. The sequel, simply named Windjammers 2, is coming to PC and Nintendo Switch sometime in 2019. While gameplay wasn't allowed in the game's pre-alpha state, Windjammers 2 still feels very much like Windjammers. This is all I could ask for.

The reasons why the game only showcased behind closed doors were obvious. There were only two characters and a single stage showcased. If you ever played the original, which is coming to Switch, you know what to expect. You will dash and throw the disc, lob it straight back and use special moves when the timing is right. The goal is to toss the disc behind your opponent and score points depending on which colored wall you hit. Depending on your actions, you can score anything from two to five points on average. It is very much a momentum game, as timing every move can decide a victor fast.

The two characters presented the speedy and heavy classes of the original game. As someone who very much likes to play a tactical game, I went for the speedier option. The girl is certainly new, and doesn't exactly feel like any of the original characters. Her speed was really impressive, but it also caused me to miss a disc or two. After a while I got the hang of her, and she became my way to play. The man reminded a lot of Klaus Wessel; bulky, not as quick, and easier to grab a disc with. At the same time, it was hard to pull off very technical moves with him as he had slower reflexes. Both of them had a nice balance that I hope become clearer as more characters get revealed.

New to Windjammers 2  are the Power Moves. Unlike the normal ones, which can be activated by abusing an opponent's lob, the Power Moves can be used after a charge. The female character would create smoke on the opponent's side, making it difficult to see where you or the disc are. On the other hand, the man would shoot the disc back with a large beam. This was very hard to counter and forced you to be even more sharp than usual. The dynamic of Power Moves add so much possibilities, and I can't wait to see more of them as we get closer to release.

All in all, Windjammers 2 was a really fun surprise. While it will be a bit before we see the fruit of Blitworks' labor, the first impressions are really strong. There is a sense of tightness to the proceedings and the two characters present had their own benefits. The inclusion of the Power Moves are the biggest game changer and forces you to think of the right moment to strike. Windjammers 2 is an intriguing title that left me very hopeful for the future of Flying Power Discs.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
Re: Windjammers 2 (Switch) Hands-on Preview
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2018, 10:09:41 AM »
Makes you wonder why they're bothering with a Windjammers 1 Port to Switch if 2 is going to come out, unless they're a long ways off from release.

Hopefully online is more robust for the sequel, too.  Every impression I've heard about 1 is that it's a fun game, but you better hope you have friends to play with locally.