Author Topic: Episode 290: BOMZALDROPPEN  (Read 18484 times)

Offline Yoshidious

• Silent Partner
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
Episode 290: BOMZALDROPPEN
« on: May 06, 2012, 07:09:53 PM »

This week's show features tons of games, hot topics, a fat stack of emails, and a special announcement that you don't want to miss.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/30052

This feature-rich podcast starts off with a smattering of impressions for Rhythm Thief, Metal Slug 3, Ace Combat: Assault Horizon, NHL '94 Online, Tales of the Abyss, and Xenoblade Chronicles. We also spend part of New Business going over some current issues in video gaming.  And all that is probably the least interesting stuff you'll get out of this episode.

We return to Listener Mail this week, and the bag goes deep as we've had an overabundance of fantastic emails; it may take a while to catch up with all the best ones, but here's a sampling of five to get us started. We cover topics such as StreetPass gluttony, Mario revisiting SubCon, the downsides of Nintendo's new digital release strategy, how to continue gaming in a foreign land, and the unsung majesty/absurdity of Pandora's Tower. Keep 'em coming, please!

We finally end with a very special announcement that you'll definitely want to hear. More next week!

Greg Leahy
Former RFN Editor

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
Re: Episode 290: BOMZALDROPPEN
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 07:33:43 PM »
Cool. I'm always happy to hear more discussion of Xenoblade. That game was so enjoyable. Just thinking about it makes me want to go play it again. I mean, I won't. You know, because it's like 100 hours long, but still.
Gouge away.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 08:31:13 PM »
Regarding the announcement:

It is very unfortunate that Greg has decided to step down as editor and regular member of the RFN team, but I do appreciate all he's contributed (time/efforts) as well as all the enjoyable episodes where he could offer an interesting perspective on the discussions.  I'd be lying if I didn't say I felt something was afoot with the increasing frequency of Guillerme's guest appearances.  Like Dick York being replaced by Dick Sargent in Bewitched, I am sure Guillerme will continue to contribute faithfully to the RFN crew, but he will not be able to replace Greg's wit, taste in games, or accent.

I wish all the best for Greg, and hope he decides to at least continue contributing in the forums or make occasional guest appearances on the podcast in the future.

Look forward to see what you guys have in store for next week!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 09:59:01 AM by lolmonade »

Offline The Ruffians

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 09:42:16 PM »
Greg, whatever is happening in your life -- I wish nothing but the best, you deserve it.  Your unique voice will truly be missed. <3
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 11:30:44 PM by The Ruffians »

Offline Glad0s

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • Reagan's Music Reviews
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 10:35:42 PM »
This is quite possibly the saddest episode of RFN I've ever heard. But, I can't say I'm not surprised...but still, Mr. Leahy, you will be sorely missed. Can't wait until next week's big "say goodbye to Greg" episode. It's been great.
"Isn't Karl like Mexican or something"

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2012, 11:12:12 PM »
I am both saddened by Greg's departure and incredibly appreciative of everything he's done for the show. Editing anything is a bitch and the job he has done is one of the best jobs you'll see, and he did it for free. But the double whammy of also not hosting is rough.

You'll be missed Greg. Cheers.

Offline Pajamas

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 12:18:25 AM »
Greg, I'm sad to see you go, but if you must, you must. I have been listening to the show for going on two years now, and your input on the industry has been enlightening and entertaining. Best of luck to you in whatever your future holds.
3DS Friend Code: 0044-2803-2317

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 12:25:42 AM »
Greg has always been my favorite member of the RFN crew (no offense to the others), so it's sad to see him go. Haven't listened to the episode yet, so I don't know the reason, but thank you for your service to the podcast (both on the podcast, and your excellent editing of it).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2012, 12:42:25 AM »
I understand why Greg is leaving but that wont stop me from making a sadface. He was my favourite member of the RFN pannel.

:(

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2012, 03:06:53 AM »
It's kind of weird. It's not like I know Greg personally or anything, but this has really bummed me out. I know that some of you guys on the RFN crew listen to podcasts yourselves, so you might appreciate that the audience for this podcast really do value what you guys do; and of course Greg's contribution to the show was immense.

It's Hoban Wash all over again!
Gouge away.

Offline supergtt

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2012, 03:58:52 AM »
aw man. :(

Offline house3136

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2012, 05:42:15 AM »
 I remember back in January the RFN team answered a part of a question I submitted about what Mario would look like in 1080p on Wii U. Everyone started joking around, and the first thing that Greg said was “Photorealistic Ron Jeremy”; I still laugh about that. To Greg, I’m thankful that I got to have some of your personal and continuously dedicated insight before you’re no longer available on the podcast. I also said in that letter that you have one of the most exotic and erudite voices I’ve ever heard; and I still stand by that. Thanks again.

Offline Uncle_Optimus

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2012, 06:14:35 AM »
Recently discovering RFN is what brought me to this website and it is this episode that finally gets me posting.
The reason of course is to thank Mr Leahy for this long stream of episodes that have been graced with his dedicated work and voice. I have really appreciated the high quality of the show not just in its worthy banter but in all the production flourishes that have made it a joy to listen to each week.
For any regular listener it's apparent this show is a labour of love for all those involved, so cheers again to this classy Nintendo fan. We are sure going to miss his ever insightful points, tortured love of the beleagured Bills and smooth Britishness but perhaps we can at least cling to the hope that Greg will still be able to visit every so often (let us at least have that, dammit!)

Offline Tlon

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2012, 07:41:19 AM »
 I wish Greg the best in life. It is sad news and he will surely be missed. I really wish that we could keep on listening to Greg's opinions and remarks through listener mail.
Again I wish Greg the best and his work is truly appreciated.
"hlör u fang axaxaxas mlö"

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2012, 09:29:54 AM »
My comment on last week's podcast talkback seems kind of eerie in retrospect. I said,
"Yay for more Guillaume. Boo for no Greg."
I stand by it though. It sucks that Greg will no longer be a part of the show, but I'm also kind of glad that it's Guillaume who is to take up Greg's mantle (burden?). I thought he was a great addition to those episodes he participated in, including at PAX, and he seems to fit in really well with the other members of the RFN crew. Often when guests are brought on to podcasts those episodes end up being my least favourite, as they are usually vaguely uncomfortable or awkward. Right from the offset though Guillaume seemed to get what was so great about NWR (perhaps because NegativeWorld is doing something similar).
I'm sad that this particular era has come to an end, but equally I'm excited to see where the show goes from here. Also, I really hope this isn't the last time we've heard from Greg. Hopefully he'll be willing to come back every once in a while much as he does for Radio Trivia.

Gouge away.

Offline Uncle_Optimus

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2012, 10:23:07 AM »
Yeah, I have not heard enough from the New Guy (gonna have to learn how to pronounce his name) to get a feel for his way of thinking and discussion. With Greg I really appreciated his business-side and strategy minded comments and it really helped to make RFN live up to its "discussion for grown-ups" moniker. He really mixed well with the styles of the other hosts.
New G-man, you got ol' G-man's big shoes to fill! (but big thanks for taking on the responsibility)

Offline Massimo

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2012, 10:24:21 AM »
Greg, I remember when you talked about what Retronauts had meant to you, after their "last" episode. I feel the same right now, sad and grateful. I'm glad that RFN will live on and I'm sure Guillaume will do a great job, but the podcast won't be the same. Your clever and witty voice will be trully missed. Thank you so much for these years on the podcast... Grazie!

Offline suzzopher

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2012, 12:42:47 PM »
Long time lurker, but wanted to say how sad I am to see Greg go :(

Hope all goes well in all you do Greg, thanks for the years of laughter and insightful podcasting. Your taste in games very closely matched my own(must be a British thing).

Offline geo

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2012, 01:03:43 PM »
Greg,
I understand that you can't do this podcast anymore because of the time conflict (5 AM is amazing, I can't believe you did that every week for years!), is it possible we could hear you on other podcasts?  What will your involvement be with NWR?  Should we just look for you in the talkback threads?

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2012, 02:45:17 PM »
I'm sad to hear Greg's departure.  I'm hoping this is a sign that he has met someone and is starting a family of his own. If I'm right, Tin Snips, Refrigerated Chews, and Precision Screwdrivers.  Its been good hearing your unique perspective and counter-balance.  I'll miss hearing you and the dynamic you brought to the group.

Now to Guillaume.  I had the sneaking feeling you be joining in some capacity.  I'm glad your coming on.  I'm sure your editting skills are superb.  I think you have a lot to bring to the table.  I'm leaning to calling you Neg G when I mention you on Twitter for the world to know my comments.

Correct me if I'm wrong but this brings the whole cast to the States which I have mixed feelings about.  I'm going to stop there because I do think Neg G will be a good edition.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2012, 02:51:15 PM »
I always knew the day would come when the current crew would break up. I just didn't expect it to happen so soon, and I never thought Greg, the "Cal Ripken Jr. of RFN", would be the first to go.

After years of listening to the podcast, I feel like I know each of the members personally, and to me they feel like some of my closest friends. Hearing that Greg will be leaving brought a tear to my eye, but he absolutely deserves it. After over 4 years of damn near perfect attendance, and more than 170 weekends editing the podcast, he's more than put his time in.

Greg's unique personality, his sharp wit, Bills fanaticism, insightful opinions, and immense respect for his colleagues and listeners will be missed.

Nobody can replace you Greg. You will always hold a special place in our hearts.

Thanks for everything, and hope to see you around NWR in the future!

Offline norfair

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2012, 03:23:28 PM »
I am deeply saddened by Greg's departure from the show and would like to use this opportunity to thank him for the countless hours and sleepless nights he invested in recording and editing probably the best gaming related podcast on the net. As a fellow European (I'm from Switzerland), I always enjoyed and appreciated hearing Greg talk about NoE and region-specific happenings. Greg, I wholeheartedly hope you'll stay active on the site (or finally register a twitter account :p). It would be a real shame if the Nintendo community were to lose someone like you. All the best for your future. Thank you.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 12:14:29 PM by norfair »

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2012, 04:16:09 PM »
Greg? :confused;

Offline leahsdad

• This title stolen by Rhythm Thief
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2012, 04:27:43 PM »
Wowzers. 

I'm usually in front of a computer, working at my desk, when I listen to RFN on Mondays.   During the podcast today, as with other Mondays, there were points at which I wanted to put up a post on the talkback (like Johnny, trust me, when kids swap 3DS's, it WOULD matter.  It wouldn't make sense to us adults, but for kids, these things matter) but I kept waiting because at the beginning of the show there was a tease about an important announcement.  I figured it would be some big plan for #300.

Wowzers.

Greg, besides just being an intelligent voice and someone who I always felt best represented my interests in games, was a real touchstone for the show and will be sorely, sorely missed.   Though just being on a podcast, much less editing it, seems to me to be just such a huge commitment of time and energy that I cannot imagine doing it on any schedule or for any length of time, much less that sleepless schedule and extremely protracted length of time that Greg has.  Cheers to Greg.  Been listening to RFN for a good 3 years now and it has become pretty much the only podcast on my MP3 player, next to Connectivity.   If you ever get a streetpass from a Mii that says "I listen to RFN" then chances are, you streetpassed me.  Thanks Greg.
[Showing off game collection]

Oh yeah, I know I have 2 sealed copies of that game.   1 is for trading.  But people who collect Amiibos?  They really have a problem!

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2012, 05:23:57 PM »
I have a larger response to make, but to Ceric's question, Guillaume is in Canada. So no, all of RFN is not in "the States."
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report