Author Topic: F-Zero  (Read 54559 times)

Offline DRJ

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #150 on: July 08, 2003, 10:35:58 AM »
No LAN play for FZero, its official

Q: Will you have LAN support in F-Zero?

Nagoshi: Well, it's true at the time of E3 I was hoping that we would have that time. But we did not actually include a LAN mode in F-Zero.

Once you include a mode like that the multiplayer mode becomes the focus of gameplay. With F-Zero, we're more focused on the single-player game. That's the main reason we've not included it this time.

www.ign.com

I was really looking forward to having a maasive race with people online. Also no connectivity to GBA.

When you finish a race you will get a password that you can input on the FZero website. It will rank you with everyone else. Its an OK idea, but not my idea of taking a game online.
Ralph: Hi, Principal Skinner! Hi, Super Nintendo Chalmers!

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #151 on: July 08, 2003, 11:26:29 AM »
"With F-Zero, we're more focused on the single-player game. That's the main reason we've not included it this time."

Focused on SINGLE PLAYER?!  WHAT?!  This is a RACING game.  Multiplayer is argueably the most important thing.  I've got to say I'm pretty damn disappointed that not only is there no LAN but that the reason for it is absolutely ridiculous.

F-Zero GX is still one of my most anticipated games but it is very frustrating that it could have been so much more.  Features like LAN play and a track editor should have been in this game.  No excuses.

Offline CHEN

• These peas taste AWESOME
    • View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #152 on: July 08, 2003, 12:56:46 PM »
Man, a thirty person F-Zero tournament grand prix would be hella cool. You would have to qualify who gets to start in first place and so on, like Formule one. Each region will have a qualifying race and the top three advances to the nationals who will then race for the champion's title blah blah blah...you get the picture

*CHEN dreams on*

PS I played F-Zero and it totally OWNZ.

Offline Mingesium

• View Profile
RE: Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #153 on: July 08, 2003, 05:51:08 PM »
I don't get the lack of LAN play. If Nintendo wants to make LAN popular on consoles, they need games to support the feature. Kirby and Mario Kart is a good start, but throw in F-Zero and I bet more people would be playing on LAN.

Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #154 on: July 08, 2003, 06:56:22 PM »
dang, those videos are amazing, now that I have cable internet . but Im least thrilled by the music, Its the same beats and songs, but no heavy solos or riffs . so I need to surply my own( metallica) music. My only real complaint is that its not coming out soon enuff, (puts gun to head, pulls trigger, CLICK!)  
I need to pray about it

Offline HolyPaladin

• View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #155 on: July 08, 2003, 07:01:51 PM »

Originally posted by: Mingesium
I don't get the lack of LAN play. If Nintendo wants to make LAN popular on consoles, they need games to support the feature. Kirby and Mario Kart is a good start, but throw in F-Zero and I bet more people would be playing on LAN.

That is up to Sega, since it is their game.  Yes, it is Nintendo's franchise and all, but Sega is actually the people making it, so Nintendo could want to see it in there, but Sega might not be thrilled about working it in.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

- Edmund Burke

If whatever I just posted sounds rude/hateful/whatever then you probably read it wrong, but I will insert apology here, anyways, just in case.

Offline Mingesium

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 08, 2003, 07:32:19 PM »
Nintendo is the publisher so the decision on LAN play is up to them.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #157 on: July 10, 2003, 01:45:05 AM »
http://f-zero.jp/movie/mpeg/cm_jikkan30_l.mpg

Thats the F-Zero GX commercial thats showing in Japan. It looks ok, the first ten seconds are really good, but i swear, they pick the worst gameplay shots :\

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
RE:Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #158 on: July 27, 2003, 10:53:20 PM »
F-Zero GX is selling well in Japan, no sales numbers yet though

1 GC F-ZERO GX SPR Nintendo 2003/07/25
2 PS2 Metropolitan quantity battle 01 SPR Energy 2003/07/24
3 PS2 On-the-spot powerful professional baseball 10 SPR KONAMI 2003/07/17
4 PS2 Mr. Oji of tennis -Smash Hit! - (first time limited edition) SPR KONAMI 2003/07/24
5 GBA Onimusha Tactics SML Capcom 2003/07/25
6 GBA Super MARIO advance 4 ACG Nintendo 2003/07/11
7 GC Air RAIDO of KABII SPR Nintendo 2003/07/11
8 GBA Noted detective Conan Detective aimed at AVG Van presto 2003/07/25
9 PS2 SOCOM U.S.NAVY SEALS SHT Sony Computer Entertainment 2003/07/24
10 GBA Shining soul II RPL Sega 2003/07/24

1 PS2 Metropolitan quantity battle 01 SPR Energy 2003/07/24
2 GC F-ZERO GX SPR Nintendo 2003/07/25
3 PS2 On-the-spot powerful professional baseball 10 SPR KONAMI 2003/07/17
4 GC Air RAIDO of KABII SPR Nintendo 2003/07/11
5 GBA Super MARIO advance 4 ACG Nintendo 2003/07/11
6 PS2 Mr. Oji of tennis -Smash Hit! - (first time limited edition) SPR KONAMI 2003/07/24
7 GBA Onimusha Tactics SML Capcom 2003/07/25
8 PS2 SOCOM U.S.NAVY SEALS SHT Sony Computer Entertainment 2003/07/24
9 GBA Noted detective Conan Detective aimed at AVG Van presto 2003/07/25
10 GC Striking-how woods e+ NOJ Nintendo 2003/06/27

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 28, 2003, 03:39:34 AM »
Quote: IanSane
-----------------------------------------------------------
Focused on SINGLE PLAYER?! WHAT?! This is a RACING game. Multiplayer is argueably the most important thing. I've got to say I'm pretty damn disappointed that not only is there no LAN but that the reason for it is absolutely ridiculous.

I'm not actually that disappointed by it
*runs*

*shouts from safe distance*

I don't have anyone to race against in F-Zero X. I brought F-Zero X over to a friend's 18th last year, and they fell of Mute City 1 at the jump, and I was like -___________-
If F-Zero GX is 10 times faster with more detailed graphics, I'm on my own, cause no one will verse me.
The only people I can only really play with are Mario and Infernal, but I don't really see them every week......

*runs back, hoping it's safe*
Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
Re: F-Zero
« Reply #160 on: February 10, 2022, 11:18:39 PM »
I cant wait to play F-zero...the rip roaring speed...the music...i wanna play this in an arcade...as if i were in the cockpit of Captain Falco's car.

Yeah, I agree younger self. We really need a new F-Zero on the Switch or the next Switch.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 10, 2022, 11:28:55 PM »
Quote: IanSane
Focused on SINGLE PLAYER?! WHAT?! This is a RACING game. Multiplayer is argueably the most important thing. I've got to say I'm pretty damn disappointed that not only is there no LAN but that the reason for it is absolutely ridiculous.

I'm not actually that disappointed by it
*runs*

*shouts from safe distance*

I don't have anyone to race against in F-Zero X. I brought F-Zero X over to a friend's 18th last year, and they fell of Mute City 1 at the jump, and I was like -___________-
If F-Zero GX is 10 times faster with more detailed graphics, I'm on my own, cause no one will verse me.
The only people I can only really play with are Mario and Infernal, but I don't really see them every week......

*runs back, hoping it's safe*
Well now we don't have any F-Zero games. I hope you're happy.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 13, 2022, 03:52:21 PM »
I cant wait to play F-zero...the rip roaring speed...the music...i wanna play this in an arcade...as if i were in the cockpit of Captain Falco's car.

Yeah, I agree younger self. We really need a new F-Zero on the Switch or the next Switch.

:'(
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 14, 2022, 05:28:39 PM »
Whenever I see the MK8 sales numbers, it makes me so angry. That should be F-Zero with those sales numbers. MK8 stole from F-Zero and has been profiting off that theft ever since. MK8 stole F-Zero’s anti-gravity racing. It stole the Mute City and Big Blue locations and music. Heck, it even stole Captain Falcon’s F-Zero machine, the Blue Falcon. Bloody Mario driving around with it on Mute City acting like it’s all part of the Mushroom Kingdom and always has been. Does Captain Falcon at least get to race in MK8 with all this IP theft going on? Nope! The door’s slammed shut on at least just him, out of all the potential F-Zero racers, to get some kind of inclusion in the game. Meanwhile, some Inklings who don’t have any race tracks at all in the game are included as racers. The level of disrespect to F-Zero is nigh unforgivable. Really hoping the good Captain can find some way to hack into the MK8 scene and Falcon Punch all these crooks to show them what anti-gravity racing is all about.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 16, 2022, 01:36:52 PM »
I've never cared for F-Zero, but one thing I did like was the X-Cup in F-Zero X. While it never generated tracks better than the designed ones, it was still good for a laugh not knowing exactly what to expect, especially if it created a sharp turn after a jump that caused all the CPUs to careen off the track. I'd be curious to see how this mode could be improved with modern hardware; with the ever-growing trend of procedural generation these days, I guess this game was a bit ahead of its time.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: February 17, 2022, 04:28:20 PM »
The problem with F-Zero is the series peaked sales wise with the original on the SNES.  The original sold 2.85 million, but then the sequel on the N64 only did 1.1 million.  To make matters worse, both Wave Race and 1080 Snowboarding sold better with Wave Race 64 doing 2.9 million and 1080 Snowboarding doing 2 million.  I mean Mario Kart was always gong to do better, but when F-Zero is being outdone by other racing franchises that are performing closer to what the original SNES game did, that's not a good look at the strength of the franchise.

Now Maxium Velocity which was a GBA launch title managed to do 1 million, so there's consistancy between the 2nd and 3rd game.  This is probably why they were willing to give Sega a blank check to create GX which is one of the most graphically impressive Gamecube titles and has insane production values, with things like over 40 characters all getting their own theme song with vocals, and only putting these songs on their character bio pages that most people might spend a few second looking at.  Also every character got special CG ending sequences that can only be viewed by beating the game on the highest difficulty setting that 99% of players wont even be able to do.

Well needless to say, F-Zero GX despite all the love from critics and hardcore fans, didn't even sell a million units.  Despite all the money spent on it, F-Zero just wasn't catching on.  Then they tried one last minute save by making a low budget anime aimed at a younger audience along with a GBA tie in to the show, since the GBA was still popular at the time and Maxium Veloticy had sold a million copies a few years earlier.  Well, that anime tie in game ended up being the worst selling Nintendo published GBA game in North America.  Back when there were NPD leaks, I think it was revealed it only did around 50k in North America, which is why NOA didn't even bother to bring over the last GBA game, which only sold about 12k in Japan.

So even though it sucks for F-Zero fans, you can't say Nintendo didn't try.  Unlike something like Star Fox where they've done some pretty dumb things, F-Zero had a natural progression going from the original, to X and then GX that were all loved by the fans.  But like I said earlier, no matter what Nintendo did, the franchise never came close to the sales of the original.  If something like X taking the series into 3D, and GX ramping up the production value and content, isn't enough to make it more popular then the Mode 7, sprite based, hardware restricted original, then what else can they do?
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 18, 2022, 01:21:05 PM »
So even though it sucks for F-Zero fans, you can't say Nintendo didn't try.  Unlike something like Star Fox where they've done some pretty dumb things, F-Zero had a natural progression going from the original, to X and then GX that were all loved by the fans.  But like I said earlier, no matter what Nintendo did, the franchise never came close to the sales of the original.  If something like X taking the series into 3D, and GX ramping up the production value and content, isn't enough to make it more popular then the Mode 7, sprite based, hardware restricted original, then what else can they do?

The Star Fox comparison is also apt in the sense both series have a tendency to release their biggest projects on unsuccessful systems. While I'm not saying Starfox Adventures/Assault/Zero or F-Zero X & GX would have been blockbusters on Wii or Switch, it's a little disappointing neither was really offered the opportunity to try.

By now I've accepted FAST Racing Neo/RMX as the de facto F-Zero successor. It doesn't quite have the personality, but it's pretty close. Hopefully F-Zero GX one day escapes the GameCube ecosystem, whether it's a port, remaster, or just the ROM in a hypothetical Switch Online wrapper.
In my ideal world the Mario Kart team (or maybe Retro Studios?) gets to cut loose and make a proper new one, but that's a (half)pipe dream at best. I'd be really happy with a GX port of some kind.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 18, 2022, 03:26:03 PM »
I bet porting Starfox Zero to Switch is just a 6 week job by a team of 5.

And if they're so worried about it's sales, just make it digital.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 18, 2022, 10:20:07 PM »
Porting Star Fox Zero would require completely overhauling the control scheme, it wouldn't be a simple job. I think that's the biggest reason we haven't seen it make the jump.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent