Author Topic: Anyone know how to set up a VPN on a router?  (Read 2269 times)

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
Anyone know how to set up a VPN on a router?
« on: November 22, 2013, 12:28:19 PM »
I have a Cisco Valetplus (also known as M20) router at home, and I want to set up a VPN so I can be connected to my home network when I'm not at home...mainly so I can use stuff like my Brighthouse TV app from any WiFi location...anyone know how I can achieve this? Is it easier/possible to do this through a PC client (so I connect to my PC then to my home network?)...I hate this "you have to be at home" crap...I already have a TV at home.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
Re: Anyone know how to set up a VPN on a router?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 06:25:52 PM »
The ValetPlus is VPN passthrough, not a VPN Router. You can use that plus hamachi as a client to connect (installed on both computers), and you won't need a dynamic dns account.

Otherwise you need a true VPN router and either a static IP address or a dynamic DNS account so you know where to direct your tunnel.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 06:30:53 PM »
I do have another router that I could potentially use, but the range on the Valet Plus is amazing...but if I do those steps I should be able to make it seem like I'm on my home cable modem, no?

Thank you for the help - and I'm not looking for any real functionality besides being able to use my home network for using BrightHouse services.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 06:32:29 PM by Brandogg »

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 06:35:22 PM »
Yes. But your speed is going to suffer if you connect your VPN authenticating computer wirelessly. And you will experience unexpected drops if your activity overwhelms the signal. So, keep the wireless, just hardwire your tower. Use CAT6 if you get a chance.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2013, 09:08:55 AM »
Actually I guess I could just connect my other router directly to the modem, and then my Valetplus to the first router (I forget which one, but it's one of the old Linksys routers that everyone uses). I wonder if that would affect my regular wireless devices at home - as in appearing as connected to my cable modem to use BH services.