Author Topic: Wii U: the first 6-8 months that might have been...  (Read 14337 times)

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Wii U: the first 6-8 months that might have been...
« on: July 16, 2013, 10:03:51 PM »
Many people have said that what the Wii U needs more than anything is games. I don't know if people realize how many games that were, at one point in time, going to release early in the Wii U's life that didn't come to be. Here is my list.

Confirmed Killed or Missing in Action:

Ghost Recon Online: The first Wii U third party game we saw playable at E3 2011, it is a mutliplayer online shooter that is currently in extended beta on the PC. http://ghost-recon.ubi.com/ghost-recon-online/en-us/home/index.aspx

Status: currently on hold while they focus on the PC version. https://twitter.com/GhostRecOnline/statuses/335518953105412097

Metro: Last Light
: Single Player first person shooter that released on other platforms this May. Originally part of the Wii U E3 2012 sizzle reel, THQ backpedaled and then developer 4A games insulted the Wii U. http://enterthemetro.com

Status: THQ died, 4A badmouthed the Wii U CPU, and it ain't never coming now.

Aliens: Colonial Marines: Once upon a time this game was supposed to be good. I for one was looking forward to it. Turns out to be such a bad game they cancelled the Wii U version. http://www.sega.com/aliens-colonial-marines/

Sniper: Ghost Warrior 2: I think what excited people the most about this game coming to the Wii was the fact that it ran on CryEngine 3. http://www.sniperghostwarrior.com/

Status: Originally listed on the ESRB site as coming to the Wii U, It came out on March 12th 2013 for other platforms. DLC has been canceled for the other platforms, so I really doubt we are getting a Wii U release.

Delayed:

Game and Wario:
this game was originally slated to come out before March 31st, but got pushed back to June 23rd, 2013. At least we got it before the fall.

Pikmin 3: First it was a launch title, then launch window, now we finally get it in the back half of summer. Apparently Miyamoto had trouble learning shaders.

Wonderful 101: When is the game coming out? Next week... in stores...  Actually September 15th in North America. Lucky Europeans get it earlier.

Wii Fit U: Another launch window game that got delayed. Now it is coming in December of this year. I'M GAINING WEIGHT OVER HERE NINTENDO

MultiPlatform Betrayalton:

Rayman Legends: Originally a Wii U exclusive scheduled for February 26th, 2013, it is now being sent to die on September 3rd. Reason for the delay? It's coming to the PS3, 360, and Vita as well. Yay...

Deus Ex: Human Revolution This was rumored to be coming in May 2013, but now it is delayed to later this  year and is hitting PS3, 360, PC and Mac as well.

So there we have it, TEN games that we may have had already on the Wii U. Multiple reasons why we don't have them, but it does make you wonder what if?

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U: the first 6-8 months that might have been...
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 10:05:59 PM »
Those are essentially 10 factors as to why the Wii U is on a downhill slide too. Pretty shameful.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 10:29:38 PM »
Well, 9 really.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 11:10:12 PM »
To add insult to injury, look at all of the good games that could have come to Wii U but didn't:

• Max Payne 3
  • Spec Ops: The Line
  • Bioshock Infinite
  • Metal Gear Solid Reveangance
  • Tomb Raider
  • Dead Space 3
  • Remember Me
  • Fuse
  • Dead Pool
  • TMNT: Out of the Shadows
  • Castlevania: Lords of Shadow
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 11:16:34 PM »
Scribblenauts Unlimited (launch game) never showed up in Europe.

I'm still bitter about it and the fact i eventually got it for 3 bucks on Steam recently only adds more salt to the wound.

Also Wii Fit U and Wii Party U were delayed.

They even delayed summer patch.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 11:20:39 PM »
I would have bought DeadPool on the Wii U....

I probably would have been the only one, but I'd like to think that I am worth the effort!!  :'( [/Sadness]

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 11:55:12 PM »
Ubisoft is on record as saying that the Wii U version of Rayman Legends was delayed and ported to the other platforms because Zombi U and the Wii U in general were flops.  Looking at this list, I see a fair number of 3rd party games that would have come out if Nintendo were capable of selling Wii U hardware.  That doesn't excuse the 1st party and Wonderful 101 delays, though.  Those were caused by sheer incompetence, as Nintendo ignored 8 years of developer issues transitioning into the HD era and decided not to be ready to make HD games.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 12:12:36 AM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline RedBlue

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 12:25:43 AM »
  Looking at this list, I see a fair number of 3rd party games that would have come out if Nintendo were capable of selling Wii U hardware.  That doesn't excuse the 1st party and Wonderful 101 delays, though.  Those were caused by sheer incompetence, as Nintendo ignored 8 years of developer issues transitioning into the HD era and decided not to be ready to make HD games.
I like how most of time you state your opinions as facts.

I was glad that aliens didn't come out, that game was toxic and DOA.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2013, 12:30:44 AM »
  Looking at this list, I see a fair number of 3rd party games that would have come out if Nintendo were capable of selling Wii U hardware.  That doesn't excuse the 1st party and Wonderful 101 delays, though.  Those were caused by sheer incompetence, as Nintendo ignored 8 years of developer issues transitioning into the HD era and decided not to be ready to make HD games.
I like how most of time you state your opinions as facts.

They are facts. Miyamoto is on record as saying that Nintendo underestimated the resources needed to produce HD games. After 8 years of companies struggling to do just that, there is no excuse for Nintendo to not be ready when it came time to make Wii U games.  Likewise, Ubisoft is on record as saying that they delayed and ported Rayman Legends because Nintendo didn't sell Wii U units and Zombi U did not turn a profit.  EA has stated that Nintendo needs to sell more hardware before they'll bring more games to the Wii U.  For most of this year, the Wii U has been selling in numbers comparable with the Vita, as low as the mid-30,000s one month according to NPD.  Nintendo's total incompetence when it comes to selling Wii U hardware or making Wii U games is a FACT. Deal with it.

Offline RedBlue

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2013, 12:44:45 AM »
That's not what you previously stated. You previous post made it seem like you have an insider view of the inner workings of Nintendo and thus prove your opinions as fact. But you don't so you only have your opinions masquerading as fact.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2013, 12:55:58 AM »
That's not what you previously stated. You previous post made it seem like you have an insider view of the inner workings of Nintendo and thus prove your opinions as fact. But you don't so you only have your opinions masquerading as fact.

What you choose to read into my posts is not my concern. I merely stated the situation as Nintendo has chosen to make it.  But by all means, keep living in that fantasy world where Nintendo has done no wrong and the entire world is out to get them. Quite a few people on this site are there right with you.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2013, 01:00:03 AM »
I would have bought DeadPool on the Wii U....

I probably would have been the only one, but I'd like to think that I am worth the effort!!  :'( [/Sadness]

All of those games that I listed I would have loved to have been able to play on Wii U's Gamepad.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2013, 01:01:47 AM »
Looking at this list, I see a fair number of 3rd party games that would have come out if Nintendo were capable of selling Wii U hardware.
I am going to keep quoting my old post over and over again each time people will pretend Bioshock, Tomb Raider, Revengeance not hitting Wii U had anything to do with sales:

20.03.2012 (8 (eight) months before Wii U launch):
Quote from: Kojima
The way the player interacts with [Wii U} is very different than any other device out there. So if I were to make a game for the Wii U, it would have to be a unique game

26.01.2012 (10 (ten) months before Wii U launch):
Quote from: Tomb Raider dev
Given that we’ve been working on the game quite a while before Wii U was announced I think it would not be right to try and port it across. If we started building a game for the Wii U we would build it very differently and we would build it with unique functionality

15.06.2012 (5 (five) months before Wii U launch):
Quote from: Take Two, Bioshock and GTA publisher
"We haven't announced anything," says Zelnick on the possibility of moving the company's mature titles onto the Wii U. "I'm skeptical."
Don't mistake that skepticism for a pessimistic attitude about the next generation of consoles, though. If anything, Zelnick is eager to kick off the next line of game systems, because he sees it as a chance for Take-Two to continue to advance its position in the industry.
"For a company like ours, it's a great opportunity," he says. "[New console launches] separate the winners from the losers -- and we fully expect to be one of the winners."

25.11.2012 (a two weeks into Wii U launch, so no sales info available)
Quote from: Borderlands dev
We get asked if there is going to be a Wii U version of Borderlands, and the reason why there’s not is because we couldn’t think of a natural, obvious, ‘OMG, I want that for what the Wii U brings to the table’ feature

26.09.2012 (a month before Wii U launch)
Quote from: EA
A compilation, dubbed the Mass Effect Trilogy, will include all three “award-winning” Mass Effect games in one box. It’ll be available on November 6th this year, for $60 on xbox/ps3/pc.

Offline RedBlue

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2013, 01:05:50 AM »
Again with opinions as facts. I rarely post here and not once have I made that statement. I play games on my PC and on Nintendo game consoles. If third parties want my money they have to support the Wii U or PC and if they don't I'm not going to cry about it. My money will go to Nintendo and 3rd parties that do.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 01:09:00 AM by RedBlue »

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2013, 01:15:57 AM »
Looking at this list, I see a fair number of 3rd party games that would have come out if Nintendo were capable of selling Wii U hardware.
I am going to keep quoting my old post over and over again each time people will pretend Bioshock, Tomb Raider, Revengeance not hitting Wii U had anything to do with sales:

Dude, I was referring to the topic creator's list in the root post, not Kytim's usual cabaret of nonsense, and Shyguy didn't say anything about those 3 games.

Again with opinions as facts. I rarely post here and not once have I made that statement. I play games on my PC and on Nintendo game consoles. If third parties want my money they have to support the Wii U or PC and if they don't I'm not going to cry about it. My money will go to Nintendo and 3rd parties that do.

It seems "opinions as facts" is now forum-speak for "WAH! YOU'RE SAYING SOMETHING I DON'T LIKE, SO I'M GOING TO JUST WHINE THAT YOU'RE SAYING SOMETHING AS IF IT'S A FACT."  I'm not going to stick "in my opinion" before every single goddamn post I type.  If you're confused if something I'm saying is an opinion or fact, take 2 seconds and figure it out.  Or break out your 2nd grade textbook. Whichever is quicker for you.  And now, this conversation is DONE.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 01:20:17 AM by broodwars »

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2013, 01:23:07 AM »
I agree with broodwars. The statements from Nintendo and developers back up the basic idea that Nintendo was not ready for HD, nor ready to go live with a complicated system capable of higher graphical effects. Their lag in producing toolsets for developers to take advantage of the WiiU caused many devs to thumb their noses and claim the CPU too slow to run their games, and not see the potential of a GPU based system.

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2013, 01:43:58 AM »
I was referring to the topic creator's list in the root post
I can give you Rayman and Deus Ex, but other third party game ports seemed to fell through due to their development troubles. Of course bad situation on the platform post launch did contribute.

As far as i remember, Ghost Recon port folded before Wii U launch. Metro had a publisher going bankrupt. Aliens game had publisher and two developers playing the blame game.

Sniper game... When was this announced? I was vaguely aware of "second sniper game, not the one with exploding eyeballs", but i must have missed it completely.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2013, 09:30:50 AM »
I was referring to the topic creator's list in the root post
I can give you Rayman and Deus Ex, but other third party game ports seemed to fell through due to their development troubles. Of course bad situation on the platform post launch did contribute.

As far as i remember, Ghost Recon port folded before Wii U launch. Metro had a publisher going bankrupt. Aliens game had publisher and two developers playing the blame game.

Sniper game... When was this announced? I was vaguely aware of "second sniper game, not the one with exploding eyeballs", but i must have missed it completely.

It wasn't formerly announced, but it was listed at the ESRB. http://www.esrb.org/ratings/synopsis.jsp?Certificate=32412

The game didn't do so hot and I think they scaled back their platforms to release on.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2013, 09:32:20 AM »
Yo I'm betting Ghost Recon Online makes it too the Xbox One/PS4 before it does Wii U.

I know Nintendo doesn;t like tp play the game but I wpuld have moneyhatted Ubisoft to make sure ZombiU, Ghost Recon Online, and Rayman Origins were released and exclusives.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2013, 09:39:56 AM »
I don't know if Ghost Recon Online is making it off the PC. The beta hasn't set the world on fire. It's a free to play game that has been in beta since last year.

We know an early build was running on the Wii U, so I guess there is still a chance.

Offline smallsharkbigbite

• Score: -7
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2013, 10:33:26 AM »
Some developers have had internal issues but the majority of future games that won't get released never confirmed a Wii U release. Poor sales is the reason they won't consider the Wii U. 

Didn't codemasters have Dirt running on the Wii U?  They recently said no F1 series for the Wii U. 

I like unique experiences as much as the next guy, but it would be nice if there was more traditional experiences. The Wii U does them well and its not like everygame needs to use the gamepad. Darksiders, Ninja Gaiden, Need for Speed were all great traditional experiences on the Wii U. I feel like the unique experience is the new pr spin on not supporting the Wii U.

Does every xbox game use the kinect?  No?  Some just rely on the traditional aspects of the console?

Do developers only make unique experiences?  GTA5 is being made because it will bring in buckets of money, not because its unique. Same for a majority of the sequels or franchises as Ubi likes to call it.

I know people may think this pessimistic, but
..... When I hear this didn't come because we couldn't think of unique ways to use the gamepad, it makes me think they really mean that they don't think their games will sell enough to make it worwhile. But they aren't ruling out the Wii U if they can think of a casual touch screen game with the budget of an ios game.

Nobody is making Wii U exclusives or spending extra time on Wii U specific features. To say you can't think of ways to make a Wii U version standout just means you aren't suporting the Wii U at this time.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2013, 12:54:38 PM »
I get Nintendo delaying Pikmin 3 because the game looks gorgeous.  There is no excuse for not observing what the rest of the industry was doing for the last several years and then running into the same roadblocks but that does seem like a typical Nintendo thing to do.  It isn't really out-of-the-ordinary for them.  But what's with the delays for Game & Wario and Wii Fit Plus?  Those aren't exactly pushing the Wii U hardware to its limits.  The excuse of being unprepared for HD development really should not apply to those games.

And it isn't like Nintendo's current drought just started.  The last two years of the Wii were slim pickings.  The only notable first party Wii game to come out in North America in 2012 was Xenoblade which was merely a localization of a game that was a couple years old.  So they spent all year working on Nintendoland and NSMB U?  Seriously?  And the year before it was all spent on Zelda?  Nintendo has had a very slow output of console games for a while and I don't know why.  Has Wii U game development been so taxing that it affected the last few years of the Wii?  But the Wii U launch date was already set so surely they knew they had to continue to release Wii games in the meantime.  Nintendo mismanaging game development has been going on for a while suggesting that something aside from HD development has changed.

Delayed third party ports at the Wii U launch were never going to sell worth a damn and that was always a major reason to NOT go with last gen hardware this time.  The Wii U should be starting a new generation but because of its design it's more like it's arriving late to the PS360 generation and having to compete with consoles with large pre-existing game libraries and userbases.  A PS360 owner should see the Wii U as a potential purchase for their next generation of gaming but instead it's like a PS360 alternative or a second console.  I'll bet when the PS4 and XB1 debut, third parties will not make excuses about their initially small userbases because they'll see them as next gen and thus a new beginning where the userbase has to be built up.  But they probably see the Wii U as a PS360 competitor and it's userbase is ridiculously small compared to those other consoles.  The PS4 and XB1 will be the number one and two consoles of the next generation by default.  While Nintendo might like to think of the Wii U as the number one console of this new generation by default, third parties and the general public see it as the distant LAST place console of the current generation.  It looks like a PS3 with a touchscreen controller and Nintendo marketed it so poorly that people thought it was an accessory for the Wii.  It looks like a souped up Wii designed to bring Nintendo on par with the competition.  It's Pachter's Wii HD, only released years after such a product would have made sense.  It doesn't come across as next gen, has not been marketed that way, and in terms of specs actually isn't.  So Ubisoft considers Rayman to be a current gen game and they look at the Wii U sales and figure "why should we make this exclusive to the console with by far the smallest userbase?"  If the Wii U was truly next gen porting the game to the PS360 would have been impossible and not even considered and would be as ridiculous as delaying a PS2 game so you could port it to the PS1 and N64.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2013, 05:18:09 PM »
THIS TO THE 64th POWER

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2013, 12:06:09 AM »
If the Wii U was truly next gen porting the game to the PS360 would have been impossible and not even considered and would be as ridiculous as delaying a PS2 game so you could port it to the PS1 and N64.
There's a rumor going around that PS4 is 40% more powerful than Xbox One. LOL XBOX One! What an outrage! Why is Microsoft even launching such a WEAK ASS BULLSHIT console? They should just cancel the whole thing and fire everyone on the research and development team for wasting everyone's time with such limp dick hardware and go third party forever. Then, we can all masturbate each other to PS4's specs because only real next gen consoles with the best specs anywhere can play TRUE next gen games. **** CREATIVTY IN IT'S STUPID ASSHOLE! Who needs that ****? Only high specs make a console worthwhile and I don't want to hear anyone say otherwise or I'll **** punt their mother.

Seriously, dude, knock this "truly next gen" **** off. Companies can make any kind of game now. They're bound by nothing except their desire to sell prettier games. The only things that are changing with these new consoles are graphics (which isn't as big a jump anyway) and anti-consumer crap that people had to practically pre-rage quit to force a change while Sony and Microsoft are still probably thinking of ways to implement it without pissing off everyone. If you really think these specs are going towards stuff like better artificial intelligence, you're just crazy and/or gullible. Programmers have to stunt AI in order to make a game playable. So, really, it's the same games with a new coat of paint while the novelty of HD has worn off. Now, it's the norm. There's 4K/Ultra HD, but the distance most people sit from their TVs makes it less noticeable. Ideas haven't outgrown the specs we have. Better specs are simply an inevitability of introducing new hardware, but it's sad that people are so ingrained in thinking that specs make a console next generation rather than the promise of experiences that weren't possible on the previous generation. Nintendo practically had to release a new console because Wii wasn't capable of running certain types of games, not just graphically. So far, there's nothing on PS4/One I've seen that I think isn't possible on the PS3 sitting under my TV gameplay wise, just prettier pictures and frankly, that's not worth $400/$500.

Consider that Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain is coming out on PS3/360 in addition to PS4/One. Yeah, Kojima's Fox Engine is scalable on two generations so there's that. If you're bemoaning today's graphics, just fucking stop playing videogames. You're literally never going to be happy.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2013, 02:02:46 AM »
But I want my Toy Story level graphics!
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.