Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1549075 times)

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #4275 on: July 14, 2013, 02:01:17 AM »
I actually though the fight with the flying monster was a better fight than the ending, but besides that, it was fucking awesome. Brilliant **** it was.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4276 on: July 14, 2013, 03:37:00 AM »
Loved Pacific Rim.

Scientists plotline was kinda unnecessary but i guess you needed it to see the impact of giant monster battles in the city from ground perspective.

Loved it, i wanted to see giant robots duking it out with giant monster and i got it.

The very last battle with three monsters went a bit faster than i wanted, but whatever.

Stringer Bell was awesome.

Music kinda bugged me with how basic and generic it sounded. During the credits i saw that it was Ramin Djavadi. I guess he simply reused six notes from his "Game of Thrones" opening and made it a main theme for entire movie.

Highly recommended.

And yeah that "category 4" monster was just a beast: swims very fast, can spit acid, and it can even fricking fly, in fricking SPACE, and there is more -- it was pregnant all this time!.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 03:39:05 AM by azeke »
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4277 on: July 14, 2013, 05:08:26 AM »
Pacific Rim was a bit too long for me. It was approaching The Dark Knight Rises level of *get on with it*

At least it avoided the Transformers 2/3 sin of not knowing who is smashing up what.

Music kinda bugged me with how basic and generic it sounded. During the credits i saw that it was Ramin Djavadi. I guess he simply reused six notes from his "Game of Thrones" opening and made it a main theme for entire movie.

He used THE EXACT SAME 6 notes in Person of Interest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBMfUzxp4n4 - jump to about one minute and 8:20.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 05:14:40 AM by Plugabugz »

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #4278 on: July 14, 2013, 06:08:56 AM »
I disagree. It felt just right. Not too long, not too short.

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #4279 on: July 14, 2013, 07:37:39 AM »
He used THE EXACT SAME 6 notes in Person of Interest.
Oh wow, you're right. Talk about lazy.

At least it avoided the Transformers 2/3 sin of not knowing who is smashing up what.
There were definitely a few moments where i was lost.

Also another minor nitpick -- i didn't liked how robots kept throwing monsters -- what's the point in that? Especially if they're just throwing them in the water.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #4280 on: July 14, 2013, 12:36:36 PM »
Wait, you got lost in the fights? That's definitely subjective, because I was able to follow it through all the fight scenes.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4281 on: July 14, 2013, 03:24:46 PM »
Although this is the second time after Prometheus in which Idris Elba has died towards the end of the film in a big machine to stop advancing enemies.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #4282 on: July 16, 2013, 01:38:02 AM »
Watched Planet Hulk for the second time via Netflix.  Damn, that's a good movie.
Watched Hulk Vs. for the first time via Netflix.  Damn, that's a bad movie. (or is it two bad movies?)
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #4283 on: July 16, 2013, 01:55:00 AM »
Hulk vs Wolverine was entertaining. mostly for the Deadpool parts.
Hulk vs Thor was sooooo boring.

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #4284 on: July 16, 2013, 02:04:29 AM »
Watched Planet Hulk for the second time via Netflix.  Damn, that's a good movie.
I own it on DVD. On of these days i will rewatch it with second commentary track (first commentary track was with animators and writers, second one is with then Marvel Animation producers).

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4285 on: July 16, 2013, 02:13:54 AM »
Hulk vs Wolverine was entertaining. mostly for the Deadpool parts.
Hulk vs Thor was sooooo boring.

I would mostly agree with this.  I really dislike Wolverine as a character, so it just didn't do anything for me.  Deadpool was a welcome addition though.

vs. Thor was just awful.  It was such a mess.  I mean, I know it's hard to have two "good" guys fight each other, but it wasn't even like it was Hulk fighting Thor.  Guh.

I've watched pretty much all of the DC animated movies (haven't watched Dark Knight Returns yet)... I've only sat through a handful of the Marvel animated movies.  Frankly, more of a DC fanboy... and I just haven't been that impressed with the Marvel movies that I've seen, outside of Planet Hulk (which is AMAZING).  Suggestions on any other of the Marvel animated movies I should see?

It's funny to me how Marvel does such a bang-up job bringing the characters to film, but the animated flicks seem to fall short - but DC seems to do about the opposite (although their animated efforts aren't on-par with Marvel's film efforts).  I do have to give them credit for Man of Steel though.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4286 on: July 16, 2013, 02:41:41 AM »
Outside of Planet Hulk.... there isn't really anything I would recommend as far as actual movies go.
except maybe The Avenger movie that was focused in part on The Hulk, but I can't find it in their catalog.

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #4287 on: July 16, 2013, 03:35:08 AM »
and I just haven't been that impressed with the Marvel movies that I've seen, outside of Planet Hulk (which is AMAZING).
The reason because Planet Hulk is so much better than usual Marvel Animated stuff is because it was actually made by DC animation guys (Sam Liu, Phil Bourassa and others).
Apart from usually very poor to mediocre quality of their animated movies and shows (outside of Spectacular and EMH) another problem with Marvel is how much they delay stuff. Thor animated movie was shelved for almost four years i think, to coincide it with respective movie premier. Later episodes of Avengers: EMH show have aired so late, that by the time it was shown director of these episodes passed away a full year before.

It boggles my mind how much they keep mistreating their animation division.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #4288 on: July 16, 2013, 05:34:19 PM »
I watched Pacific Rim earlier today and had an absolute blast. It's definitely my blockbuster of the year (as distinct from my film of the year - which is still 'Good Vibrations' for those that are keeping tab).

As you would expect from a Del Toro film the attention to detail and commitment to the premise really allow the audience to suspend disbelief and sink into the world. Pacific Rim also manages to avoid the pitfall that many blockbusters have fallen into this year whereby the characters' motivations are poorly defined. It's true that none of the principal characters are particularly memorable or interesting, but when it comes to blockbusters there is definitely something to be said for simple and consistent character motivations.

Pacific Rim certainly isn't complex, and neither is it overtly normative or cynical (other than making a light ecological point at the beginning of the movie, it really doesn't seem to make any big analogies). It's just a whole lot of fun.

It looks fantastic! I cannot stress this enough. The use of colour and light during the battle for Hong Kong looked glorious. I actually thought the soundtrack was quite good (particularly during those moments when the style of music changed to reflect the nationalities of those piloting the various Jaegers). The action was also successful in giving a feeling of heft and force, which oh so many other GCI focused films completely fail at. The set pieces also managed to be both epic and comprehensible (i.e. it's better than Transformers).

I wish I had a time machine just so that I could bring 12 year old me to the present and show them this film. It would blow young PixPix's mind! I can imagine Pacific Rim being for 12 years olds today, what Jurassic Park was for me as a kid.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 05:39:03 PM by Pixelated Pixies »
Gouge away.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #4289 on: July 16, 2013, 10:00:13 PM »
All of Superman's best stories (and DC in general) are better as animated movies with a contained cannon as DC can't help but convolute or alter with their major stories.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4290 on: July 17, 2013, 12:02:16 AM »
Outside of Planet Hulk.... there isn't really anything I would recommend as far as actual movies go.
except maybe The Avenger movie that was focused in part on The Hulk, but I can't find it in their catalog.

Direct Netflix Link: Ultimate Avengers: The Movie

I don't remember how the majority of the movie goes, but this is a much better Hulk vs Thor (and the rest of The Avengers) movie. Skip to about the 50:00 minute mark for the good stuff.

edit: This also ties in with your Thor's Hammer thread perfectly, so I suggest you check it out.
I'll cross quote it so you don't miss it. :D

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #4291 on: July 17, 2013, 12:19:04 AM »
In the 80s Marvel Animation was so awesome. But that's thanks to Sunbow. And awesome toys. GI Joe, Transformers, Spiderman and His Amazing Friends, Inhumaniods, Muppet Babies, Visionaries, Jem, probably others. Dungeons and Dragons, can't forget that one
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 12:20:57 AM by bustin98 »

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4292 on: July 17, 2013, 12:29:36 AM »

I don't remember how the majority of the movie goes, but this is a much better Hulk vs Thor (and the rest of The Avengers) movie. Skip to about the 50:00 minute mark for the good stuff.

edit: This also ties in with your Thor's Hammer thread perfectly, so I suggest you check it out.

I bought that DVD when it came out.  I don't remember it being very good... ;)
Loaded it up just now and went to the 50 min mark, just for you...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4293 on: July 17, 2013, 12:42:00 AM »

I bought that DVD when it came out.  I don't remember it being very good... ;)
Loaded it up just now and went to the 50 min mark, just for you...

The part where Hulk beats Thor with his own hammer and then proceeds to choke out Giant Man with what can only be considered a hug were my favorite parts.

I don't remember the rest of the movie.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #4294 on: July 18, 2013, 12:47:30 PM »
Chiming in on Pacific Rim: my favourite movie of the summer thus far. Go see it. Lots of fun.

Also saw Man of Steel awhile back. Was very disappointed by much of it. It started well then, when it got to Earth, it just seemed to fall apart. The last 2 minutes perked up a bit when it looked like Superman might actually be fun again. I have hopes for the sequel.

Speaking of Pacific Rim, I think McDonalds missed a major marketing tie-in opportunity:
The Pacific McRib! (or the Pacif-McRib, if you prefer).
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 12:49:28 PM by Fatty_The_Hutt »
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4295 on: July 18, 2013, 01:33:49 PM »
Chiming in on Pacific Rim: my favourite movie of the summer thus far. Go see it. Lots of fun.

Also saw Man of Steel awhile back. Was very disappointed by much of it. It started well then, when it got to Earth, it just seemed to fall apart. The last 2 minutes perked up a bit when it looked like Superman might actually be fun again. I have hopes for the sequel.

Speaking of Pacific Rim, I think McDonalds missed a major marketing tie-in opportunity:
The Pacific McRib! (or the Pacif-McRib, if you prefer).
If Despicable Me 2 and Lone Ranger wasn't up against Pacific Rim I but we would see McDonald's promoting it.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #4296 on: July 18, 2013, 11:29:24 PM »
Masters of Horror: Pro-Life

So far I've watched two Masters of Horror movies (this one and some other one about dead soldiers coming back to life to vote), and they were both fucking garbage. This is a John Carpenter movie, too. It's retarded. They should rename the series Masters of Horse ****, because that's what it seems to be.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4297 on: July 18, 2013, 11:32:47 PM »
Masters of Horror: Pro-Life

So far I've watched two Masters of Horror movies (this one and some other one about dead soldiers coming back to life to vote), and they were both fucking garbage. This is a John Carpenter movie, too. It's retarded. They should rename the series Masters of Horse ****, because that's what it seems to be.

You might find one in 20 that was actually worth watching. If I remember the 1 or 2 I thought was decent, I'll try to remember to post them here.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #4298 on: July 18, 2013, 11:51:58 PM »
Please do if you can (no pressure). I like good horror movies, but these have been total crap. I also hate the stupid 5-minute intro where you can't start watching the movie right away.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #4299 on: July 19, 2013, 02:11:18 AM »
Thanks for the Planet Hulk Referral. Really enjoyed it. I see one called the Invincible Iron Man. Is that any good? Planning to watch that next.

I'm going through the Batman Beyond series and also played catch-up with all the Marvel Movies available on Netflix. So I saw Avengers recently as well.

Any other superhero movies to look out for on Netflix? Animated or live action?
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast