Author Topic: GameCube Online Plans Unvieled  (Read 2418 times)

Offline 007

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
GameCube Online Plans Unvieled
« on: July 26, 2003, 03:56:44 PM »
From "Australian CUBE Issue 09"

In a recent interview about Nintendo's online plans, Gamespy President, Jon Epstein, confirmed that his company will be providing the middleware technology that will allow GameCube owners to play networked games.
  Speaking more specifically about what actual features are ctaered for, Epstein stated that: "Developers that use Gamespy's software would be able to quick and easily add modules to their games which provide player matchmaking, text chat, voice chat, instant messaging, security, ladder systems, online storage (virtual memory card) and other online related applications". what this actually means is that GameSpy is providing the software to allow developers to make games with the option to implement networked gaming complete with headset and keyboard communication and dowload content. Whilst the actual peripherals aren's confirmed for GC, if a developer wants to code headset functionality, wants instant keyboard communication in an MMORPG, or even include downloadable extras, then it can.
  Just as interestingly, Epstein was asked when gamers can expect to see the first Nintendo title using the Gamespy setu. His reply was "I believe we're looking at Q4 2003 or Q1 2004". In fact, following this confirmation, there's speculation that Mario Kart may ultimately feature online connectivity at a later date.
  Also Gamespy confirmed all you need is a broadband adapter and a broadband connection.
Gamespy itself wont charge any fees for connection, that decision rests with Nintendo, in fact considering that senior figures at Nintendo have long claimed to be uneasy about the monthly charges often incurred in online play, this service may even be free.

Got any other news, plz tell me!!!  
aLaN

Offline Rich

• View Profile
RE: GameCube Online Plans Unvieled
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2003, 04:01:00 PM »
sweet nintendo final seems to be taking action to go online which is nice to know, even if is a little late

Offline 007

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2003, 04:43:38 PM »
yeah i agree, it would be good if mario kart is online instead of the stupid LAN
aLaN

Offline Kulock

• View Profile
RE:GameCube Online Plans Unvieled
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2003, 06:38:36 PM »
This sounds like older news, except with a couple of words changed to make it "guaranteed" Gamespy would be handling it for Nintendo. The article I remember had Gamespy offering to do it, but not guaranteed.

*digs*

Can't locate it off-hand, but I think CUBE jumped the gun when it said it would be providing _THE_ networking middleware technology, because the rest of the article is worded almost identically to the interview from a while ago.

Offline SuperLink666

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2003, 06:54:40 PM »
That is really old. Some words were altered but I really hope Geist is online. We need an exclusive FPS online for GameCube that can be our "Halo Killer". Geist looks fun too IMO.
www.warppipe.com
GameCube games - Playable online!

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2003, 09:46:40 PM »
Yeah its old, we are still waiting for Nintendo's offical announcement they said would be soon.
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline kennyb27

• President of Nintendo. Seriously!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2003, 07:42:31 AM »
Here's the press release from GameSpy's website.  It does say in it that they are an "authorized Nintendo tools provider."  But anyway, the date on the website is May 21.
-Kenny

Now Playing: I-Ninja (GC), Pokemon LeafGreen (GBA), Nintendogs (DS), Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GC)
Just Finished: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC), Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (GC) Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)
Need money for: Advance Wars: Dual St