Author Topic: Switch Discussion Thread (Year 3: But where are the folders??!?!)  (Read 276164 times)

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Re: Switch Discussion Thread (The early days)
« Reply #875 on: January 05, 2018, 11:44:31 AM »
I want something from Nintendo that uses the (infrared?) camera on the joy-con.  Remember that thing?  Is there a game that uses it?  I'd like to see what they had in mind for it.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: January 05, 2018, 02:22:57 PM »
1-2 Switch does
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: January 05, 2018, 02:56:49 PM »
Pikmin 4: With HD Rumble, you can feel the Pikmin die in your hands.

Honestly, I don’t expect much. There is absolutely no chance in hell that 2018 is going to be as good a year for Switch as 2017, which was one of the best launch years for a Nintendo console ever, but also one of the strongest years for Nintendo, period. Kirby and Yoshi are likely the biggest Nintendo titles we’ll see this year, and yes, I’m still factoring Fire Emblem into this.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #878 on: January 05, 2018, 05:14:28 PM »
1-2 Switch does

Oh yeah! There's the eating game!  I forgot about that!

Guess I haven't been playing it as much as I thought I would.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #879 on: January 05, 2018, 09:39:27 PM »
Mario and Sonic at the 2018 Winter Olympics.

Fallout 3, got it.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: January 05, 2018, 11:43:16 PM »
Rumors of an update for Switch that includes missing basic features like:  Folders, Youtube & Twitch, Internet Browser, Party Chat, Virtual Console, Themes, and more.

source:
https://twitter.com/NinDailyNews/status/949460144122945536

edit: it's fake...

but it's funny the rumors are basic features the Wii U and 3ds have.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 11:45:14 PM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: January 05, 2018, 11:51:46 PM »
Pikmin 4: With HD Rumble, you can feel the Pikmin die in your hands.

Honestly, I don’t expect much. There is absolutely no chance in hell that 2018 is going to be as good a year for Switch as 2017, which was one of the best launch years for a Nintendo console ever, but also one of the strongest years for Nintendo, period. Kirby and Yoshi are likely the biggest Nintendo titles we’ll see this year, and yes, I’m still factoring Fire Emblem into this.

Smash Bros and Animal Crossing will likely be 2018 titles.  Even though you might have been joking, a Pikmin 4 could easily happen since reusing Pikmin 3's engine would allow for quicker and cheaper development.  We should also get Retro's new game and Next Level will probably have Luigi's Mansion 3 ready as well.  I'd also bet good money on a sequel to Mario Maker coming out since it'll be 3 years since the original Wii U version.  We could realistically get Bayonetta 3 as well since we don't know how long the game has been in development and is probably heavily reusing assets from Bayo 2 for quicker and cheaper dev time.  Plus who knows what other 3rd party collaborations Nintendo might be funding that could make 2018.

People have to remember Nintendo developers are HD experienced now with assest and engines they can use for quicker and easier development.  This is one of the reasons we were able to get Xenoblade 2 out this year since the work Monolith did on X help prepare them to develop such a game in a shorter time span then X did.  Many of Nintendo's other studio's are going to do the same and with the 3DS development finished, the system will have the combined efforts of Nintendo's entire teams. 

So even though it'll be tough to top 2017, it's going to be a lot better then some seem to think.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: January 06, 2018, 03:31:11 AM »
Yeah, I'm not too worried about their output this year (I just wish I had a friggin' Switch). There might be a handful of unannounced 3DS projects left to keep the lights on (saw a rumor somewhere about a Link to the Past ---> Between Worlds treatment of Link's Awakening, though that seems like too substantial a project), but they're all in on Switch. They want to sell 20 million in year two, and though Mario and Zelda are tough to match I expect there'll be as good or better distribution of Nintendo published games in 2018 with equivalents of Mario Kart, Arms, Splatoon, Snipperclips, 1-2 Switch, Xenoblade, Mario + Rabbids, and a couple of splashy if not Zelda/Mario level titles, especially for the holidays.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #883 on: January 06, 2018, 02:08:20 PM »
We know we're getting Kirby and Yoshi, right?  I'm thinking between MP4, Pikmin 4, and Bayo 3, we'll 2 out of the 3.  Then either Smash or Fire Emblem.  I'm thinking no (mainline) Pokemon until the Switch is a bit less constrained, supply wise.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #884 on: January 06, 2018, 08:43:19 PM »
Again, I don’t see Pikmin or Luigi’s Mansion as a massive release, and I really can’t imagine Mario Maker being enjoyable on a system without a stylus.

I think assuming we’ll get any of the games totes as “in development” for Switch, when we haven’t even seen them yet, is wishful thinking. A Smash Bros port, maybe, especially if they want to keep the emaciated competitive scene alive. Pikmin 4 is the kind of game you can soft announce, but I’m sure we would have heard rumblings of an Animal Crossing game by this point.

My realistic lineup would be:
Pikmin 4 - Yoshi - Kirby - Fire Emblem - Smash Bros - some dumb game that “takes advantage” of the Joy Con.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #885 on: January 06, 2018, 08:58:29 PM »
A year ago today we hadn't seen anything about any of the Switch's 2017 lineup except Zelda. I don't know why you think it's so implausible that there are things coming out this year we haven't seen yet. Nintendo doesn't like to announce things too far ahead of time these days.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: January 06, 2018, 10:00:18 PM »

some dumb game that “takes advantage” of the Joy Con
You mean like Arms?

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #887 on: January 06, 2018, 10:34:58 PM »
Yes.

What, was that supposed to be a burn?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: January 07, 2018, 12:14:31 AM »
I've been running through some Switch Demos off the eshop

Has anyone been able to complete Embers of Mirrim w/o the help of a second person?
this game is some crazy left brain right brain coordination. I think I sprained my thumb before getting my daughter to help me with part of it.

this game will train some ambidexterity into you...

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: January 11, 2018, 12:45:16 AM »
How old was your daughter BnM? Last I remember she was 5 and seems very advanced at games, much more than my nephew at the same age. Probably helped she's your daughter so you trained her well, but you're also taking her to Marvel movies. Is she exceptionally advanced or am I forgetting how 5-year-old's are? May have to pick your brain on child rearing when we start turning out little ones.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #890 on: January 11, 2018, 01:03:02 AM »
She's 5. She's not great at gaming, but she can play.
She can run around in Zelda, but the fighting is too much for her outside of Skelton warriors.

She loves the Marvel movies so far, and is super excited for Black Panther.

But back to gaming, she started playing in her tablet, then she discovered the WiiU, so I gave her my 3DS, abs we kept playing Mario games on the WiiU.
Eventually she ventured into other WiiU games, such as Injustice, Darksiders, Batman.

So then I felt if she wanted me to play games with her, we needed the new games, instead of me replaying old games. Now we Switch everywhere. We both LOVE it.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: January 11, 2018, 06:51:37 PM »
That's awesome. Should try Snipper Clips if you have not yet. Has a blast with that with my nephew, though some later levels were rather complex.
My Game Collection

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #892 on: January 11, 2018, 06:59:37 PM »
That's awesome. Should try Snipper Clips if you have not yet. Has a blast with that with my nephew, though some later levels were rather complex.

We've 2 player'd the demo. She did pretty well on it by herself once I explained how it worked.
She had a litte trouble on the balloon popping one, but I showed her a few tricks and we beat it together.
I might get thsi one if it ever went on sale. For now, she's having a blast with Zelda, Lego Marvel 2, Mario+Rabbids, Mario Kart, and random demo's.

Eventually we'll get into Mario Odyssey (I haven't played any of it outside of the store demo)

and if they ever bring the Virtual Console back... I just know she will be into some SNES Zelda and some Zelda OoT. (no I don't feel like bringing them down from their boxes closet and finding a TV to hook them up to, nor purchasing them on Wii U)
ooooh... me and her would probably get into some Secret of Mana!!!
if only she could read... we're working on it though.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #893 on: January 11, 2018, 09:26:54 PM »
So, even though this almost solidifies Fire Emblem being late 2018 and Pokemon occupying a similar spot or a 2019 release, 2028 is shaping up decently thus far. Nothing too earth shattering, but also a good solid lineup of games, most importantly, third party support.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: January 12, 2018, 02:25:18 AM »
and if they ever bring the Virtual Console back... I just know she will be into some SNES Zelda and some Zelda OoT. (no I don't feel like bringing them down from their boxes closet and finding a TV to hook them up to, nor purchasing them on Wii U)
ooooh... me and her would probably get into some Secret of Mana!!!
if only she could read... we're working on it though.

You could pick up a SNES mini, its got Secret of Mana and a few other fun co-op games like DKC along with Link to the Past and Mario World. Been having a blast on that with my wife and sister.

...2028 is shaping up decently thus far. Nothing too earth shattering, but also a good solid lineup of games, most importantly, third party support.

Welcome back from the future, Evan! What sort of Marvel films are we getting in 2028? ;)
My Game Collection

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: January 16, 2018, 06:46:39 PM »
I've really warmed up to Handheld mode on Switch the last few months. For obvious reasons (Hurricane Maria) but for others as well. I really love being able to take the console everywhere and just show how awesome it is to friends. Every Switch can pretty much be a demo station and that's cool. The ability to just sit and play an hour of Stardew or (insert random indie game) before bed is also a plus. I initially thought I'd play Switch mostly in docked mode but I've been proven wrong.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: January 17, 2018, 05:49:20 PM »
She can run around in Zelda, but the fighting is too much for her outside of Skelton warriors.

But back to gaming, she started playing in her tablet, then she discovered the WiiU, so I gave her my 3DS, abs we kept playing Mario games on the WiiU.
Eventually she ventured into other WiiU games, such as Injustice, Darksiders, Batman.

So then I felt if she wanted me to play games with her, we needed the new games, instead of me replaying old games. Now we Switch everywhere. We both LOVE it.
BnM if you still have the WiiU, go to the Wii mode, hit the shop and download Bonsai Barber. My kids were mental for that game when they were around your daughter's age.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #897 on: January 17, 2018, 09:56:30 PM »
So.

Nintendo Labo.

This product feels extremely suited to the Japanese audience, but I hope it finds success in the Western market, too. Because man, it's a great concept, but its so damn wacky that it has the potential to be terrible. I love the idea of making peripherals, and it's a great way to give tactile weight to an experience, but the complexity of these builds should not sacrifice quality for the actual game they are bundled with. While the variety pack is likely a mini-game compilation, I expect that robot pack to have some legit content to it, or else I wouldn't drop the additional 20. Of course, I'm not really the target audience for this, so take that as you will. However, I am assuming that Nintendo's feeling regarding these packs is that the build is also a part of the experience, especially since the instructions are bundled into the software, but I hope that doesn't mean the integration or software content is subpar.

If anything, I'd like to see what other sorts of ideas Nintendo could cook up with this system. I'd be surprised if we saw more than one additional wave of these packs show up this year, but several of those brief clips in the reveal video have me hopeful (the camera and pump gun, for example, are really neat). I think, if they should choose not to integrate their intellectual property into this, it would be a shame, but I could also see the argument for more universal appeal. But, "why not both?"

Most positive reaction to anything I've seen this year.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: January 17, 2018, 10:05:31 PM »
I think it looks crazy awesome.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: January 18, 2018, 02:45:43 AM »

BnM if you still have the WiiU, go to the Wii mode, hit the shop and download Bonsai Barber. My kids were mental for that game when they were around your daughter's age.

I bought it for my sister years ago and she loved it until she got older. It really is a fun title for younger gamers. Was also one of the only games I know of to come out of Zoonami, the former Rare team allegedly working on a mystery Gamecube title (Game Zero, link to what that was if you are curious).

My Game Collection