Author Topic: Episode 438: Spiritual Predecessor  (Read 11054 times)

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
Re: Episode 438: Spiritual Predecessor
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2015, 03:54:22 AM »
The final 3 minutes is the kind of sparkle that RFN has perfected over the years with the sensible (Gui, Greg, Jonny), borderline crazy (Jon), and hyper-crazy (James). I was sad but was too busy laughing along with them to notice.

And that's really the way to remember it: endless laughter

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2015, 03:55:00 AM »
The final 3 minutes is the kind of sparkle that RFN has perfected over the years with the sensible (Gui, Greg, Jonny), borderline crazy (Jon), and hyper-crazy (James). I was sad but was too busy laughing along with them to notice.

And that's really the way to remember it: endless laughter. Thanks all (not just Jonny) for the laughter.

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2015, 06:20:31 AM »
I really should not have listened to this one right before I needed to go to bed, because I've been up for about... 3 hours past trying to figure out how I'm going to compose this post.

First off, I do hope that Donald adds this guy to the reccomended shows on the Neogaf thread, because there's a lot of fun with Samba de Amigo and discussion on Red Ash, and I think that aspect needs to be chronicled for future reference, because success or failure, Red Ash is going to be something to laugh about when it does eventually come out.

well, time to do the spoiler tag thing.

Johnny, I have so many questions and comments and... words. things have been bouncing around in my head and I don't know what ones are appropriate to ask or not. I could go into some of the snarkier and sarcastic ones such as;

So now that you have bought 3 expensive consoles, are you going to aim for a playset of foil tarmagoyf next?

Why did you take an e-mail of mine that would have been PERFECT for your departing show and throw it into thunder round you asshole?!?

so now that you're just one week before retirement, how's it feel to pilot a SOPHIA the third one last time?

Will you come back if James consistently has Karl and Stan on to tarnish and sully your good name?

What will you save from the next natural disaster that hits your home now that you won't have RFN audio to save?

All of these are in good jest and make light of a situation that... I'm now rapidly approaching 4 hours past my bedtime on. Of course, there's serious questions that I do hope get answered on next week's episode after the Blaster Master talk. these include;

Are you giving up any of your Crosstawk duties?

besides your new role at the site and fatigue, what has contributed to your decision to end your tenure as the voice of reason here?

Besides Greg, who were other canidates for the 4th man to fill out the roster?

What do you think you'll miss the most about being so closely tied to this show?

I'll have my answers for those in a week, although I don't think I am ready for them. I guess... next I should just say my thoughts, and hopefully not sound like I'm typing some sort of strange eulogy or something.

I don't think I've stuck with a podcast as long as I have Radio Free Nintendo. I was listening ot Nintendo voice chat for a while on and off all through it's inception up until about Craig Harris' departure from IGN. I supplimented it primarily with Invisible walls since I was ignorant to stuff like Giant Bomb and all that jazz, and then I stopped doing invisible walls and thus... podcast listening in general when GameTrailers' video player would break my browser. Neal led me to the sight while I was looking for news on the 3DS on youtube, and then I found the podcast...

Johnathan Metts is the first person I really put a name to the voice in a way where I started remembering the names. I feel like as host for as long as I've been listening, you've played the jovial sort of straight man to James' endless crumudgeonry, Jon's attempts to troll the show endlessly, and Greg's poised and often fanatical devotion to the games he plays/Guiallme's french-canadian strangeness. Goodness knows there's quirks to the way you think and carry yourself, but I've always gotten such a warm and safe feeling hearing you in my ears consistently every week for the past 4 years. It's why it's so great for the brief moments I got to actually talk to you during the telethons, and here's hoping I get to do it yet again and again, although with a different sort of fondness; the kind that is bread via absence.

RFN loses a lot without you, Johnny. I feel that you're the (Slightly) more sane elder statesman of the two helming these shows. I really love when those anecdotes emerge where Johnny talks about Bionic Commando and how he met Jon or when he referrs to the castlevania mix tape that long-lost Planet Gamecube staffers made for him at a random E3  where I was still in high school screwing off in Computer science class while watching trailers for games on videos the size of postage stamps. You have a way of waxing poetic or nostalgic about something that really draws the listener in and I don't think any of the other members of the show can replicate that.

There's also the dedication to all this you've desplayed and I really hope that doesn't go away with this new project you briefly mentioned. As someone who is frequently a procrastinator, I can't imagine the energy it takes to get on a podcast and just... go, and bring that level of energy that makes for a good show on a week to week basis, or the toll that must take on one's soul. I love the work you do and I want it to continue, I really earnestly do.

even as the keys are handed to James, who I am confident will keep the spirit of the show thriving in a way that only a man who has played a periphery NISA SRPG in the last year can, This is the end of an era. Next week could be the last episode of Radio Free Nintendo for all somebody possibly cares. I almost feel like a rebrand is in order similar to how Newscast rebranded as connectivity or how Prince of Persia sort of rebranded into Assasin's Creed. In the end, I'll still stick around and wait with bated breath for you to show up in the same ways as Billy Berghammer did before he became an official Nintendo employee. I believe a wise man once cracked quite the joke at Reggie Fils-Amie and got a special thanks credit for it in a video game...

"Hey! Somebody's gotta make it, right?"

Oh jesus I gotta be up for work in 5 hours. X_X

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2015, 09:02:57 AM »
I gotta be honest: there are certainly plenty of excellent panelists left, but I'm not sure a post-Jonny RFN is something that altogether interests me. I love Greg & James and John can certainly be amusing, but to me the glue that held the show together was the level-headedness & insightfulness of Jonny. I'll certainly check out an episode of the "new" RFN, but given that I didn't really start to listen to RFN until Jonny was the host, perhaps it's fitting that I stop listening to RFN when Jonny takes his final bow. *sigh* I dunno.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2015, 10:05:10 AM »
Not done the podcast yet, and know I'll have some more comments later... but wanted to chime in that Gearbox Software is one of the worst development studios around. It's amazing to me that anyone would outsource work to them.

The only studio I can think of that consistently come out with technically flawed games as often are TellTale Studios... but at least with TellTale I can appreciate that their intent is to tell interesting stories instead of provide compelling gameplay. (Studios like Bethesda always release games with flaws, but those games have massive scope and get continual patching to at least improve on the flaws. That's different from Gearbox and TellTale who put out focused games that should work but consistently fail to perform on any platform.)
NNID: ejamer

Offline Kobeskillz

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2015, 10:45:55 AM »
I discovered this post cast about 2 years ago and only recently after going back and listening to almost all of the podcast have I started posting here. I’m incredibly sad to see Johnny leave and even though I didn’t agree with him a lot of times I always respected his opinion and his smooth way of hosting.

I could almost see this coming though. It felt very similar to how Matt from IGN started to lose his passion and interest for Nintendo and you couldn’t hear the excitement anymore.

Is like a veteran player losing interest in a bad season in the NBA. I wish you luck Johnny from a relatively new listener.

With that said having Greg back is incredible! I haven’t had many chances to listen to him except going back to all the old episodes but those were out of context because of them being outdated.

James while my ears ring from shouts every once in a while I respect your passion and commitment and I know you’ll do an amazing job. I’ll be interesting to see how someone to tries to derail the train at times now try to keep it in its tracks as host. Lol.

Offline Robok W

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2015, 11:09:56 AM »
Gonna miss hearing Dr. Metts as host.  :'(

But, as was previously mentioned, I could hear a change coming. Johnny hasn't been shy about saying how little time he has had to play games, and I always felt bad for the podcast crew for having to constantly play new things for the show. Instead of going deep into a game for a month or two, it seems they feel compelled to have new things to talk about for us and for that I'm grateful; but I'm happy that this decision will give Johnny more free time to really play games and enjoy them, without the added pressure to talk about them every weekend.

So ultimately, I'm happy for Johnny, I know this is a very difficult decision, but I hope he has more free time to balance his job and his hobbies - and comes back every once in a while as a guest. :)

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2015, 02:40:16 PM »
I gotta be honest: there are certainly plenty of excellent panelists left, but I'm not sure a post-Jonny RFN is something that altogether interests me. I love Greg & James and John can certainly be amusing, but to me the glue that held the show together was the level-headedness & insightfulness of Jonny. I'll certainly check out an episode of the "new" RFN, but given that I didn't really start to listen to RFN until Jonny was the host, perhaps it's fitting that I stop listening to RFN when Jonny takes his final bow. *sigh* I dunno.

I'd be lying if I said this exact thought hadn't crossed my mind. But I will continue listening. RFN will be different and that's okay.

Offline - NintendoFan -

• hay sup dudez i liek teh nintendo
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2015, 03:58:01 PM »
Very sad Johnny is leaving, but very happy Greg is returning. If they made this trade every 3 years or so, I could live with that.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2015, 04:03:54 PM »
I will say - James as new host is what really intrigues me.  James has played the role recently of topic derailer & coming up with oddity games to talk about, but he's certainly more than capable of being a point of knowledge on business, & I find him to be the biggest authority on that for the podcast. 

Thanks to Greg too for being willing to enter the fray, it definitely softens the blow a little to know that he's saddling-up again, and I know it was a big commitment for him when he decided to leave.

Offline Kobeskillz

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2015, 04:34:32 PM »
I will say - James as new host is what really intrigues me.  James has played the role recently of topic derailer & coming up with oddity games to talk about, but he's certainly more than capable of being a point of knowledge on business, & I find him to be the biggest authority on that for the podcast. 

Thanks to Greg too for being willing to enter the fray, it definitely softens the blow a little to know that he's saddling-up again, and I know it was a big commitment for him when he decided to leave.

Since i'm a new listener I missed the Greg years but when I went back to listen to all the old shows i became a HUGE fan of his work.

I can listen to the man talk Nintendo all day and I can't wait to hear what he has to say every week. This is no knock on Johnny and in a perfect world I would have him on the show as well but Greg coming back is what helps this transition big time.

I'm a big fan of Gui as well but he is more like a really good color commentator in a sports broadcast than the play by play man.

Greg is freaking Chick Hearns man.

Offline NWR_Karl

• Red Velvet
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2015, 09:32:57 PM »
For folks who feel like they might not want to keep listening with j00ny leaving (if you're all going to misspell it as "Johnny" then I'm at least going to roll that old nickname out), I'd ask that you be patient and let the re-organized panelist group find their footing. After Mike and I left in 2007, Jonny and the gang probably took a dozen or so episodes before things clicked, and in the 7+ years since then, the show's gotten better and better every year to the point where, other than some structural similarities, the show I used to host isn't even the same podcast, and RFN is so much better for it.

Honestly, James, Jon, Greg and Gui changing things up is probably the best news you could ask for. RFN is going to be 10 years old in less than a year, and things stagnate. You have to shake things up and reorganize the board or the show gets stale. Jonny did amazing work as the host, and now it's time for James to change the recipe a little. Since everyone involved is still a veteran of the show, I'm sure it'll be in great hands.

On a lighter note, now Jonny can join Mike and I in the Ex-RFN Host Club. We mostly talk about anything that isn't Nintendo and slowly lose touch with what's actually going on in video games until we realize it's E3 week all of a sudden. And then we're wrong - E3 is actually NEXT week. (This happened to me this year!)

Anyway, cheers to Jonny, a man who has way too many embarrassing stories about me to let live for much longer. Comin' for you, dawg! ;)
----
Karl Castaneda
Associated Raconteur

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2015, 10:39:20 PM »
I'm glad Greg is returning. I'm not sure anyone else was ready for the RFN primetime slot(maybe Alex Culafi) and replacing Jonny cold without the trial run Gui had was going to be really hard.

I'm ready for this brave new James Jones led world of RFN.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2015, 03:54:53 AM »
I'm glad Greg is returning. I'm not sure anyone else was ready for the RFN primetime slot(maybe Alex Culafi) and replacing Jonny cold without the trial run Gui had was going to be really hard.

I'm ready for this brave new James Jones led world of RFN.

I have to disagree there. While Alex does have that appropriate stentorian voice for doing audio, I actually would love to see the sort of chaos agent factor that adding someone like Carmine or Daan to the mix would have done given their appitite for games that James would just quietly shake his head at. Daan in particular plays enough dreck to have plenty of new business every week, after all!

For folks who feel like they might not want to keep listening with j00ny leaving (if you're all going to misspell it as "Johnny" then I'm at least going to roll that old nickname out), I'd ask that you be patient and let the re-organized panelist group find their footing. After Mike and I left in 2007, Jonny and the gang probably took a dozen or so episodes before things clicked, and in the 7+ years since then, the show's gotten better and better every year to the point where, other than some structural similarities, the show I used to host isn't even the same podcast, and RFN is so much better for it.

Honestly, James, Jon, Greg and Gui changing things up is probably the best news you could ask for. RFN is going to be 10 years old in less than a year, and things stagnate. You have to shake things up and reorganize the board or the show gets stale. Jonny did amazing work as the host, and now it's time for James to change the recipe a little. Since everyone involved is still a veteran of the show, I'm sure it'll be in great hands.

And... I actually agree, Karl. I'm hella excited for show evolution, even if it doesn't go in a way that I prefer. I don't think the growing pains will be as bad as the first RFN reboot because these guys are already friends and talk with each other all the time. I did in my half-awake stupor call for an RFN rebrand in my last post because my thoughts are abuzz with just what in the heck James could do to change the face of the show. The reality is it probably won't be that drastic, but we'll see going forward!

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2015, 03:56:54 AM »

And... I actually agree, Karl. I'm hella excited for show evolution, even if it doesn't go in a way that I prefer. I don't think the growing pains will be as bad as the first RFN reboot because these guys are already friends and talk with each other all the time. I did in my half-awake stupor call for an RFN rebrand in my last post because my thoughts are abuzz with just what in the heck James could do to change the face of the show. The reality is it probably won't be that drastic, but we'll see going forward!

Gosh, I sure do love how the forums here resize your font.

Offline Oedo

• This title is an insult!
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2015, 08:46:49 PM »

After hearing Johnny Jonny talk about MH4U the last few episodes, I decided to open up the copy that game with my New 3DS as well and I was pleasantly surprised at how accessible the game was relative to my expectations. There is obviously a ton of stuff in the game, but there are a lot of nice little touches that make it all easier to process. Things like the combo list showing you which currently unknown combinations are possible with the items you have is amazingly helpful, especially coming off something like SMT Strange Journey where the demon fusion is just one big counterintuitive cluster-**** of mashing grotesque looking things together at a ridiculously slow pace. I think the next big monster you face (big ugly beetle looking thing that flies around most of the time) will be the first one where you can cut a piece of it off and it'll be the horn. I can't remember any instances of being able to cut the tail off of any of the earlier monsters. I'm really enjoying the combat so far, but yeah, I'm also hoping the supposedly more action oriented Monster Hunter X makes its way to the West at some point.

On the JRPG discussion, I can attest to being one of the people who enjoys random encounters/grinding in JRPGs. And both James Jones and James Charlton are spot on with why. This will probably sound like nails on a chalkboard to a lot of people, but sometimes I'll put on a podcast and just grind for a few hours and come away feeling satisfied. If someone has very limited time to game though, I can see why they'd want to slam their head into a wall after a half hour of it or would like to see it gone altogether.

Offline Oedo

• This title is an insult!
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2015, 09:04:08 PM »
I think the next big monster you face (big ugly beetle looking thing that flies around most of the time) will be the first one where you can cut a piece of it off and it'll be the horn.

Nope, I lied. You face the Great Jaggi first and it has a breakable part as well. The Seltas is just the first one where they explicitly tell you to do it as part of the subquest.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2015, 09:18:37 PM »
This one was the top result on amazon.com for a 3DS extended battery - 5000mAh is a shade under 4x the battery of the 2ds. I'm just not sure if that extra back they include is necessary to use it.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.