Author Topic: Soccer Discussion: 1.67% Chance of Being the Best Thread on the NWR Forums  (Read 228019 times)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: Soccer Discussion
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2012, 02:55:35 AM »
I saw the first half of the USA-Antigua and Barbuda World Cup Qualifier sitting in an airport bar on Friday. The good news is the US team is no longer playing terribly for the first 20 minutes like they always did in the past. Klinsmann's doing a good job with the team, and it's nice to finally see Donovan (who I can stand only when he's playing for team USA) and Dempsey on the pitch together, the first time under Klinsmann.

Also, I missed the Sounders-Cal FC US Open Cup match on Tuesday while at E3, but I was following along on my phone from our restaurant. 0-0 at the half, with Seattle scoring 5 in the second; I was pretty worried at first, but got progressively happier as the night went on.

I should probably watch some of the Euros since my Sounders have a bit of a break after playing 8 games in 5 weeks and are off until Saturday.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Eman55

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2012, 12:50:48 PM »
I live in Portland and am a Timbers fan.  I'm liking that they just picked up local star Danny Mwanga and may help them turn their season around more and make the playoffs. 

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2012, 01:26:36 PM »
Euro Cup has been the ****. Sweden vs. Ukraine being the highlight.

Germany vs. Netherlands is coming up in an hour!
black fairy tales are better at sports

« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2012, 02:38:44 AM »
Nice to see that Portugal won and on a great header from Ronaldo too. Nice to him step his game up. Petr Cech was my personal Man of the Match for that game however, he is one of the best keepers in the world and he showed that. Germany Vs. Greece will most likely be a one sided match but you never know, I hope its an exciting match.
"Nothing tips like a cow."

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2012, 04:59:59 AM »
The Euros are going on, and they're great and all, but the game I really care about is Sunday: the reignition of the Cascadia Cup rivalry between the Seattle Sounders and the Portland Timbers. Portland has been awful this season for whatever reason (HA!) and Seattle's been struggling lately due to injuries, and are winless in their last six MLS matches.

After Alvaro Fernandez's awful red card late in Tuesday's draw against Kansas City, this seems like the perfect time for Steve Zakuani to make his triumphant return to MLS after breaking both bones in his leg from a horrendous tackle last April.

This should be a hell of a match. The teams are struggling, but this is probably the biggest rivalry in the league, so it should still be a great show. It's on ESPN this Sunday at 5 Eastern/2 Pacific, and even if you don't follow the league (which you should if you're in America and like the sport), this is one match you should check out.

J.P. Corbran

« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2012, 02:31:40 PM »
The rivalry between Portland and Seattle is fantastic as are the fans for both teams. That is one game that I will be watching.
"Nothing tips like a cow."

Offline Eman55

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2012, 12:15:29 AM »
Yeah the Timbers aren't playing great, but it is only their second season in the MLS.  One of the worst points is that they traded away their forward Kenny Cooper and now he is one of the leading goal scorers in the league. Though their forward they have now is the record holder for most goals scored in the Scottish Premier League.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2012, 01:07:54 AM »
After tonight's 4-1 victory over Chivas USA, the Seattle Sounders are heading to their fourth consecutive US Open Cup final, a feat not done in over 70 years, with a chance of winning it for the fourth time in a row, which has never been done. August 8 in Kansas City, the Sounders are going to make history.

In other news, rumor has it that my favorite American player, Clint Dempsey, is heading to my favorite EPL team, Liverpool, which would make me very happy.

J.P. Corbran

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2012, 03:31:00 AM »
Okay, so the Sounders play 4 games in 10 days because of the start of Champions League play and the US Open Cup final, and I'm now pretty sure whoever sets the schedule for the league is a Timbers fan because the two MLS matches in that span are against LA and San Jose.

They couldn't have us play the Galaxy early in the season when they sucked, that has to be now that they've figured things out. And San Jose is on the verge of running away with the West, and the Sounders could really benefit from taking three points from them, but I don't know if they'll have anything left in the tank by next Saturday.

They need to pull Levesque out of retirement and get Kasey Keller out of the broadcast booth and back in net to have enough bodies to get through this. They also picked a really shitty time to sell Fernandez, and this new guy they're bringing in will have barely any time to practice with the team.

J.P. Corbran

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2012, 10:15:01 PM »
SUCK IT, MEXICO!

J.P. Corbran

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2012, 12:29:01 AM »
We beat Mexico Yay.

Looking forward to the premier league opening Saturday.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline Eman55

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2012, 11:25:26 AM »
Timbers Leading the Cascadia Cup Even More with Win Over Vancouver!

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2012, 01:24:14 PM »
They've still got two games left against the Sounders, who are red hot right now, including one at Century Link in front of 60,000+ people, which has been a hell of a home field advantage so far this year.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Eman55

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2012, 01:09:20 PM »
The Sounders may be able to have more fans in their stadium, but the Timbers have the Timbers Army.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2012, 06:58:29 PM »
And the Sounders have ECS and several other supporters groups that are just as passionate and into it as the TA. Remember, the Timbers are only in the league because of how good Sounders fans are.

J.P. Corbran

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2012, 03:17:14 PM »
We're about 20 minutes from the start of Sounders-Timbers on NBC at 3:30 Eastern/12:30 Pacific. This is the biggest rivalry in the league, and has major implications. Seattle clinches a playoff berth with a win and a Chivas USA loss later today. Portland would love to prevent that, and maybe play themselves out of last place. They may be on opposite ends of the table, but you have to throw records out when it comes to a game like this.

J.P. Corbran

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2012, 01:00:24 AM »
The United States played a World Cup qualifier tonight against the mighty powerhouse of Antigua and Barbuda. On paper the US should have won by about six goals, but they played awfully and barely eked out a 2-1 win with a goal in the 90th minute.

The one bright spot is Eddie Johnson, who hadn't scored for the national team in four years, whose career had gone down the toilet. After coming back to MLS this year and being acquired by my beloved Sounders, in a move widely criticized at the time, he has had a magnificent comeback year, being the Sounders' leading scorer and netting both goals tonight, bringing himself to be tied for the second most goals by any player in the history of the US men's national team.

Hats off, Eddie, and may your luck keep on coming.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2012, 10:13:10 PM »
Canada beat Cuba 3-0 on Friday. I went to watch it live. Funny facts: 15 Cuban players arrive in Toronto. 4 of them defect (nobody ever heard of them again) and Cuba plays with:

- 11 players on the field;
- no players on bench to substitute;
- 2 players on the field were already injured before the game, and 1 one of them still had stitches on his leg.

Cannot wait to go see the next game. If there is one... here in Toronto.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2012, 12:10:20 AM »
After making the playoffs each of their first 4 seasons in MLS, the Sounders finally got out of the first round with a 1-0 victory over RSL tonight on a beautiful goal by Mario Martinez in the 81st minute. They advance to play the LA Galaxy in the Western Conference Finals, with the opening leg scheduled for the already busy day of next Sunday, November 18.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2012, 09:29:09 AM »
Should be an exciting day. Any clue if this game will be broadcast on ESPN or NBCSN?
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2012, 09:37:45 AM »
Actually, I later found out that that is the second leg of the match, with the first being tomorrow. Tomorrow's game is on ESPN, with the earlier Eastern Conference Final match between the Houston Dynamo and D.C. United being on NBC Sports. Since Seattle and LA are probably the two most popular teams in the league, I imagine the second leg will also be on ESPN unless they just don't have a game scheduled for ESPN that week.

J.P. Corbran

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2013, 12:28:59 AM »
So MLS season starts this weekend, and I am super excited. The new kits are being released early in the week, and if the Sounders one is the one that was leaked then I think I'll be buying one.

Here's a good set of power rankings to start the season. I'm not sure I agree with putting LA at the top after losing Beckham and with Donovan being Donovan again, but they are the defending champs so I can't argue too much.

Seattle's had a lot of upheaval in the off-season, losing one of their DPs in Fredy Montero and looking likely to lose another in Christian Tiffert before things get started. I don't think Montero's that huge of a loss given his streaky performance, and I never really understood the Tiffert signing to begin with, so I think it's good they're looking to use his slot more effectively.

J.P. Corbran

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 22, 2013, 01:17:58 AM »
So today MLS Comissioner Don Garber and league officials announced plans for the next expansion team for the league, its 20th, New York City FC. This team will play inside New York City, as opposed to the current New York Red Bulls who play in Harrison, New Jersey. The team will be owned by a partnership consisting primarily of the owners of the New York Yankees and the owners of Manchester City of the English Premier League.

Garber's selling this as a huge thing for the league on the level of the David Beckham deal, but I can't see this having as far reaching effects as that did. All I know is Yankees plus Man City equals the new team everybody loves to hate, especially if Beckham uses his ownership option to take over and rebrand Chivas USA.

J.P. Corbran

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #48 on: May 22, 2013, 02:00:54 AM »
People don't really hate Manchester City though, it's Manchester United that is really hated. Plus, Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan (owner of  Abu Dhabi United Group, which owns Manchester City, which is majority owner of New York City FC; so essentially he owns NYC FC) could be really good for MLS and soccer in the United States as he has shown he wants to help grow the sport and is serious about it. I haven't seen a price listed, but last month he said he would be willing to pay up to $100 million for an expansion team in NYC (the fee Montreal paid was only $40 million) and helped privately fund a $340 million stadium.

And Beckham's deal allows him to buy an expansion team. His contract says he has the right to buy an expansion team, not an existing team (so not Chivas), for only $25 million. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/soccer/news/20130520/planet-futbol-david-beckham-frank-lampard/
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 22, 2013, 02:28:28 AM »
Technically he wouldn't be buying Chivas, the league would be rescinding their franchise and then granting a new one to Beckham in the same place. Or so the rumors go. I can't stand Chivas for some of the same reason I don't like what's happening with NYCFC, I don't like the idea of MLS becoming full of a bunch of minor league teams of foreign clubs.

J.P. Corbran