Author Topic: Wii U - e3 is over... now what?  (Read 1572216 times)

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2011, 02:11:23 PM »
From Engadget's hands on:

In the hand the controller feels light, and it feels comfortable. It's most similar to the old GameCube controller, really, but much wider and with more buttons

http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/07/nintendo-wii-u-controller-first-hands-on/

Can't be true, it supposed to suck and be terribly uncomfortable according to some.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2011, 02:11:37 PM »
If BnM's spec sheet is correct then it looks like GC support is going to be dropped. No surprise there really, because only a small segment (mainly those on this forum) cared about it at all. Nothing is said about BC support for the GC controller nor for the GC discs, so I'm afraid its gone folks.
is your sanity...

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2011, 02:12:53 PM »
So that controller with the screen is the console? This is what I am confused about the most.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2011, 02:14:42 PM »
In the hand the controller feels light, and it feels comfortable. It's most similar to the old GameCube controller, really, but much wider and with more buttons
Can't be true, it supposed to suck and be terribly uncomfortable according to some.
Looking at those pics mimicking how he is holding it.   I don't see how he can say its most similar to the GCN Controller.  Still not naturally resting on both triggers which you did on the GCN Controller.

So that controller with the screen is the console? This is what I am confused about the most.
No the 360 Mini in the pictures are the console.  The controller is a controller.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline blackfootsteps

• Recovering GoldenPhoenix fan.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2011, 02:15:23 PM »
The fact sheet makes it seem like only one screen controller can be connected, and multiplayer games will use Wiimotes. I guess we'll have to wait until later to find out if that's true.

I'm concerned about this. I think you're right. I guess that compromises the ability to enjoy online gaming with a local guest.
“I waited all day. you waited all day.. but you left before sunset.. and I just wanted to tell you the moment was beautiful. Just wanted to dance to bad music drive bad cars.. watch bad TV.. should have stayed for the sunset...if not for me.â€

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2011, 02:15:36 PM »
If BnM's spec sheet is correct then it looks like GC support is going to be dropped. No surprise there really, because only a small segment (mainly those on this forum) cared about it at all. Nothing is said about BC support for the GC controller nor for the GC discs, so I'm afraid its gone folks.

Hmmm, I think there is a chance the GC controller may be used since games are compatible with it on Wii. We'll see though. What I find most interesting is that the console seems to be backwards compatible with the Wii Mote. If that is the case, I wonder if games made for it will have to utilize the Wii Mote? Would be nice to not have to buy any extra controllers unlike virtually every console launch in history.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2011, 02:15:42 PM »
The ergonomics of it look like something a company with no real experience with gaming would come up with instead of a veteran like Nintendo.  The controls look thrown on haphazardly.  What are the ergonomics like for this thing?

What is the cost of the Wii U, what are the specs, why should I give a **** about this stupid screen and, most important of all, what GAMES are being made for it?  So we have Zelda and jack **** else for the Wii and then this which has what?

I try not to get too excited for E3 but even my low expectations were not met.  They didn't really reveal anything at all.

The name sounds like something that non-English speakers woudl come up with, which is probably exactly what it is.

I don't think any core gamer is going to switch to this so it will be stuck in casual land unless it gives them a reason to buy it.  That will take more than a new Wii Sports game.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2011, 02:16:22 PM »

No this is the console

Offline Kwolf

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2011, 02:18:24 PM »
I will wait till I can hold the controller before I judge how it handles.   As I'm odd ball with controllers.   Sometimes I find controllers I love that everyone else hates.   I'm just glad to see the return of standard buttons, with the continued support of Wii Controllers and such.   Hopefully a large variety will be taken advantage of with this. 

I'm trying to keep myself in check though. While the Link Tech demo really had me wiggling in my seat, I'm going to only look at it as a tech demo and nothing more.   I will be honest, I'm a fanboy and just happy to see my beloved franchises in HD someday. 

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2011, 02:18:35 PM »
Wii has a brand appeal, whether you like it or not. This is an extension of the philosophy they used for Wii.

But if people don't like it then it has brand repulsion. Broodwars doesn't like the name, I don't like the name, I'm sure Ian isn't going to like the name, etc. For every person who likes it there's going to be someone who hates it.

There is nothing more wrong with the name then the original Wii name.

That isn't saying much.

But it is worse because although the Wii name sucked, at least it was simple and concise and there was some elegance to it. Now this new console name has the added baggage of the "-U" suffix which makes it uglier and wrecks the simplicity of the old name. Its still just as stupid, but now its longer. It isn't witty or innovative or creative in any way. For a company that prides itself on its ability to innovate Nintendo should have been able to come up with something more clever and with a cooler looking logo.
is your sanity...

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2011, 02:18:41 PM »
The ergonomics of it look like something a company with no real experience with gaming would come up with instead of a veteran like Nintendo.  The controls look thrown on haphazardly.  What are the ergonomics like for this thing?

What is the cost of the Wii U, what are the specs, why should I give a **** about this stupid screen and, most important of all, what GAMES are being made for it?  So we have Zelda and jack **** else for the Wii and then this which has what?

I try not to get too excited for E3 but even my low expectations were not met.  They didn't really reveal anything at all.

The name sounds like something that non-English speakers woudl come up with, which is probably exactly what it is.

I don't think any core gamer is going to switch to this so it will be stuck in casual land unless it gives them a reason to buy it.  That will take more than a new Wii Sports game.

Because obviously Nintendo isn't going to show anything else between now and launch in 2012 right? Seriously, this whining is ridiculous, then again it is coming from the usual suspects.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2011, 02:21:08 PM »
Wii has a brand appeal, whether you like it or not. This is an extension of the philosophy they used for Wii.

But if people don't like it then it has brand repulsion. Broodwars doesn't like the name, I don't like the name, I'm sure Ian isn't going to like the name, etc. For every person who likes it there's going to be someone who hates it.

There is nothing more wrong with the name then the original Wii name.

That isn't saying much.

But it is worse because although the Wii name sucked, at least it was simple and concise and there was some elegance to it. Now this new console name has the added baggage of the "-U" suffix which makes it uglier and wrecks the simplicity of the old name. Its still just as stupid, but now its longer. It isn't witty or innovative or creative in any way. For a company that prides itself on its ability to innovate Nintendo should have been able to come up with something more clever and with a cooler looking logo.

I'm sorry but you, Chozo and Ian are not the majority of Wii owners. The fact is that Wii's success has been staggering, and the brand does mean something. Gaming doesn't revolve around you. Nintendo knows how to market their stuff, you do not, in fact if NIntendo did what individuals like you wanted they would still be in 3rd place, or just a publisher.

Newsflash Playstation isn't a good name, but it has brand power. Xbox is a lame name but it has marketing power. Wii has a weird, some would argue lame name but has marketing power and means something. Heck even iPod is a pretty stupid name, but once again it has marketing power. I prefer Wii U over "Wii 2" or "Super Wii", it follows in the tradition of Nintendo using symbolic naming.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 02:26:36 PM by GoldenPhoenix »

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2011, 02:21:42 PM »
After all that 3rd aprty I thought Ian would be most onboard. The controller looks just fine and comfortable to. It isn't a totaly flat tablet, it's obviously built to be held like a normal controller. These freaken screen is the future and I bet everyone will eventually eat their words. Of course Sony and Microsoft will eventually copy it, but only this time the fans will love it. How can anyone be so narrowminded to not see the possibilities with this! It's freakin epic!
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2011, 02:23:24 PM »
After all that 3rd aprty I thought Ian would be most onboard. The controller looks just fine and comfortable to. It isn't a totaly flat tablet, it's obviously built to be held like a normal controller. These freaken screen is the future and I bet everyone will eventually eat their words. Of course Sony and Microsoft will eventually copy it, but only this time the fans will love it. How can anyone be so narrowminded to not see the possibilities with this! It's freakin epic!

I an won't be pleased no matter what. And you are right the controller is a revolutionary input device, it just needs to be used properly and if there are any issues with comfort those should be addressed as well.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2011, 02:26:51 PM »
I see possibilities and then I see a demo reel that includes only a couple of  of them plus a few I didn't think of but are really just ways to get over the last iterations faults.  To be fully honest, I probably be better with a Wiimote and a WiiU then just having its own controller from the videos.

The problem I had with the whole thing is 90% of the time is was the WiiU AND its Buddy the Wiimote.  It couldn't stand on its own.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2011, 02:27:45 PM »

That is GREAT news. The look of the thing genuinely had me worried. Glad impressions are positive. Hopefully comfort is retained after extended hours of gameplay.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2011, 02:29:48 PM »

That is GREAT news. The look of the thing genuinely had me worried. Glad impressions are positive. Hopefully comfort is retained after extended hours of gameplay.

I wouldn't be surprised to see it go through a couple of revisions though. There is one thing Nintendo knows how to do, and that is how to make a comfortable controller, at least post NES era lol.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2011, 02:31:54 PM »
"The name sounds like something that non-English speakers woudl come up with, which is probably exactly what it is."

Hahahaha that's amazing! /ricky gervias

The controller/tablet is easily the most innovative thing to happen to gaming. Couple it with the Wiimote and it is the most innovate thing to happen to entertainment.

As a Nintendo fan, I am stoked. Fuckin' Stoked.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2011, 02:33:09 PM »
The fact is that Wii's success has been staggering, and the brand does mean something.

I don't know if you've noticed, but Wii sales have petered out the last few years. Many people bought the console early on and were disappointed in it and now in many homes its just sitting around collecting dust with a blue flashing light which people ignore because they just don't care anymore.

The Wii has a brand name, but its a bad name. The reputation of it has been ruined by shitty casual games and nothing else. The people who bought Wii for Wii sports don't buy other games, and they may just be content with that and not even bother with this new console.

So Nintendo needs to appeal to us because we are the ones who buy games. Casuals do not buy games, and they may not even buy the new system since they already a Wii anyway. So our opinion matters. It actually matters a lot, in fact. Because look how the 360 and PS3 are kicking the Wii's ass in sales as of late. This is what happens when you turn your back on core gamers and cater to a fickle market.
is your sanity...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2011, 02:33:54 PM »
It's a WiiHD + an iPad

how could we go wrong?

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2011, 02:38:23 PM »

I wouldn't be surprised to see it go through a couple of revisions though. There is one thing Nintendo knows how to do, and that is how to make a comfortable controller, at least post NES era lol.

I wouldn't be surprised if it went through a revision or two. Nintendo didn't give a set time frame, so it looking different by TGS wouldn't be a shocker. However, I don't expect it to change so much that someone looking at it for the first time (especially in pictures) wouldn't question its ergonomics.

Offline KisakiProject

• Score: -8
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2011, 02:40:23 PM »
So no major nintendo franchise teased?  Already announced 3rd party stuff and a terrible name. Super Mari MII and Lego game aside.  I need more to be excited.  I'm glad it will have solid 3rd party support but I still buy Nintendo systems for Nintendo games.  I also need proof I'll want to play this on WiiU more than 360. The controller looks cool and all but if you want hype you gotta have more than tech demos.  I'm intrigued but skeptical.  The name is indefensibly bad though.

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 07, 2011, 02:42:26 PM »

As usual, you're too quick to jump the gun. First of all, they showed a bunch of games for it, especially considering there's still another 14-18 months before release.

People who have actually handled the controller say it's fine, and Engadget is pretty unbiased, although they personally prefer the 360.

They revealed a lot, considering that they've made ANOTHER revolutionary controller.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #48 on: June 07, 2011, 02:45:12 PM »
So no major nintendo franchise teased?  Already announced 3rd party stuff and a terrible name. Super Mari MII and Lego game aside.  I need more to be excited.  I'm glad it will have solid 3rd party support but I still buy Nintendo systems for Nintendo games.  I also need proof I'll want to play this on WiiU more than 360. The controller looks cool and all but if you want hype you gotta have more than tech demos.  I'm intrigued but skeptical.  The name is indefensibly bad though.
Smash Bros was teased.

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 07, 2011, 02:49:14 PM »
Wii U CPU is like IBMs Watson:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/07/ibm-puts-watsons-brains-in-nintendo-wii-u/

Nintendo's new console, the Wii U, was finally unveiled to the world today at E3 2011, and we got a glimpse of its graphical prowess at the company's keynote. Details were scarce about the IBM silicon Nintendo's new HD powerhouse was packing, but we did some digging to get a little more info. IBM tells us that within the Wii U there's a 45nm custom chip with "a lot" of embedded DRAM. It's a silicon on insulator design and packs the same processor technology found in Watson, the supercomputer that bested a couple of meatbags on Jeopardy awhile back. Unfortunately, IBM wouldn't give us the chip's clock speeds, but if it's good enough to smoke Ken Jennings on national TV, we imagine it'll do alright against its competition from Sony and Microsoft.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.