Author Topic: Now Hiring: Staff Writers in San Francisco and Los Angeles  (Read 2530 times)

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
Now Hiring: Staff Writers in San Francisco and Los Angeles
« on: August 05, 2011, 11:11:26 AM »

Want to write about video games and live around LA or SF?

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/sitenews/26273

Do you like playing, talking about, and writing about video games? Does the video game industry interest you a lot? Do you read “Iwata Asks” when they come out? Are you offended by the Iwata Laugh? Do you even know who Iwata is?

If those questions all make sense to you, and you said yes to most of them, then you might be perfect for the position of Staff Writer at Nintendo World Report. You’d need to have excellent writing and editing skills, knowledge and enthusiasm for the video game industry, and frequent online availability on AIM or e-mail. It would be awesome if you have experience writing about video games and podcasting experience. For this specific posting, we're looking for writers who live the San Francisco or Los Angeles areas. Also, if you have the ability to cover gaming events during the day, that's a plus as well.

Working at Nintendo World Report doesn't come without perks. While we're a volunteer site, we do offer access to the gaming industry, chances to attend events such as E3 and PAX, and review copies of games. We have been around since 1999, and members of our staff have gone on to work at THQ, LucasArts, Game Informer, G4, IGN, and more. Also, members of our staff have been published in Electronic Gaming Monthly, 1UP, GamePro, America Online, and many more.

If you're interested, submit your resume, a link to any blogs or past work you'd like to show us, and a news story and review written in the NWR style (see below) to nwrjobs@nintendoworldreport. Depending on experience, a Skype interview may be required.

Note: NWR style is loosely defined for the purposes of these applications. What we do ask is that you follow the format presented on our site. News stories should include a headline, an abstract, sources (with links), and body text. Reviews require a score following the guidelines here, and pros and cons.

Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline WindyMan

• It was the dog.
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • WindyMan's Roller Derby Notes
Re: Now Hiring: Staff Writers in San Francisco and Los Angeles
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 02:16:19 AM »
Don't think that you guys can lure me out of retirement so easy...
Steven "WindyMan" Rodriguez
Washed-up Former NWR Director

Respect the power of the wind.

Offline Toruresu

• Lusts round Birdos
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 11:52:46 PM »
Don't think that you guys can lure me out of retirement so easy...

Do it!
Currently Playing:
Currently Reading:

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 12:07:50 AM »
Does the job come with a pass to E3 2011?

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 09:37:33 AM »
As long as you read "London" as "LA" and provide transport between such i will apply.

Offline ndefalco

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 08:50:50 PM »
Is there no need for east coast writers? Is it because there are no video game events on the east coast? Seems to me there are quite a few. I'm an easy sell. I already blog on Nintendo related stuff for free. Would I be wasting my time applying just because I am on the east coast?

www.wiirealm.com

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2011, 09:42:10 PM »
Is there no need for east coast writers? Is it because there are no video game events on the east coast? Seems to me there are quite a few. I'm an easy sell. I already blog on Nintendo related stuff for free. Would I be wasting my time applying just because I am on the east coast?

www.wiirealm.com

Not really. I'd be open to it, but we have three (four if you extend the reach farther out) in the area of NYC. We're spread very thin in SF/LA, and often miss events because of it. That's where our biggest need is.

But if you're super awesome and on the east coast, I'd consider it.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline ndefalco

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, 11:15:16 PM »
Hey Neal,

I emailed you guys. Just wondering where you are in the process. No rush, though.

Nate

Offline Jet Pilot

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2011, 11:50:13 AM »
Why do are you looking for people who live in Lower Alabama and South Florida?  I though most of the game developers and conferences were in California.